Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone start a GoFundMe campaign to pay Hillary and Bernie to quietly disappear from public life forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Since I like UHC and a $15 minimum wage, I'd prefer Bernie stay

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

withak posted:

Someone start a GoFundMe campaign to pay Hillary and Bernie to quietly disappear from public life forever.

Frankly, all you have to do is convince the alt-right that there's a pedophilia ring operated out of one of their homes, and eventually someone will show up with a gun.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

withak posted:

I understand why people want to bury the memory of the Dem primary in an effort to unify the left, although in my opinion it was a fairly tame contest. Especially compared to the Republican Thunderdome. However there was yet another recent poll where Sanders is one of the most popular national politicians at +18% favorability. For reference both Trump and HRC are hanging around 0% in this same poll. It's important for Democrats to understand why this is the case, even if it means endlessly re-litigating the primary contest. In the context of America's dumb political system where the presidential race is all-important Sanders and HRC are symbols of the struggle to define the future direction of the national Democrat party.

Also good luck convincing one of the most popular politicians in the country to retire. It would have to be a pretty successful gofundme.

edit: misread the poll, HRC is apparently at -10% net favorability. Poor Hillary, it's unlikely anyone can overcome two decades of focused negative propaganda.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 14, 2017

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

David Wong posted:

One genre of angry message I've gotten over the years goes something like "I've been a daily reader since 2010 and thought you were the good guys, but after seeing [joke/article they found offensive], I'm realizing how wrong I was! Goodbye forever." Think about that for a moment. They are claiming to have read and enjoyed literally thousands of articles and videos before encountering one single offensive idea, at which point they declared the whole enterprise a loss. That's super weird.

This seems to be making some big assumptions. They person in question may have been offended before by something here and there, but if somebody breaks off like that it means something was beyond the pale.

"I one genre of angry message I've gotten over the years goes something like "I've been a daily reader since 2010 and I thought you were the good guys, but after seeing the article where you revealed that you were a pedophile, I'm realizing how wrong I was! Goodbye forever!"

That wouldn't be super weird would it?

David Wong posted:

It is right about here that you realize the cause was never what was important. The group was what was important -- having a bunch of like-minded people standing and fighting alongside you. After all, was it ever about the dog, or was it about what the dog symbolized? So maybe you wouldn't sacrifice yourself for the cause -- you can always get another dog -- but would you sacrifice yourself for your friends, these people who you know would damned well do the same for you? Absolutely!

*Beep Boop* You can always get another dog.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

This essentially sums up my views on it as well. We can't put the gun toothpaste back in the tube at this point, let's just focus on poo poo like making sure we don't destroy the earth and that people have a right to healthcare and poo poo like that.

dwarf74 posted:

Gun control is one thing that rural people seem to care about more than anything else.
I'm sorry if I suggested ignoring such topics as healthcare and climate change. I feel gun control, while not as important as healthcare, is definitely alongside other important issues candidates should be backing. Being told we shouldn't even bother calling for change, simply because there are other problems in our country, makes me frustrated because it's avoidance for avoidance's sake.

With such rural Americans I can only imagine there is a lot of overlap between anti-Obamacare voters, anti-abortion voters, anti-immigration voters and gun-rights voters. Progressive candidates have already lost so many gun-rights voters that I don't view support of gun regulations as causing losses in any but edge cases.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 14, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

Please don't equivocate a lifelong public servant and long-serving senator who is trying to materially help people other then himself, to a carpet-bagging huckster of no consideration. TIA! There is a thread in this forum to talk about the latter if you just can't help yourself for some reason.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

withak posted:

Ahahaha, one's actually seeing some progress in support of single payer, the other one wrote a book that blames everyone for their loss. WON'T THEY BOTH JUST GO AWAY?!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

WON'T THEY BOTH JUST GO AWAY?!

Exactly.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boon posted:

Exactly.

Personally I think we need all the good senators we can get and would encourage them all to speak more forcefully about things like UHC, a higher federal wage, GMI, and other such social goods. In fact I find wanting them to "go away" to be very suspect and reflects poorly on the speaker.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

RZA Encryption posted:

Ahahaha, one's actually seeing some progress in support of single payer, the other one wrote a book that blames everyone for their loss. WON'T THEY BOTH JUST GO AWAY?!

Speaking of the single-payer bill (is this the right thread to talk about this?), one of the things that Sanders doesn't get enough credit for is actually putting out a substantive bill which can begin the legislative conversation. The current conversation around Medicare-For-All definitely needs to be as substantive as possible so that Congresspeople aren't just attaching themselves to an empty proposal like Republicans did with "Repeal Obamacare". It's critical to have this conversation now, warts and all, so that when the Democrats do form a majority again, they have consensus and a piece of legislation with which they can hit the ground running.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Personally I think we need all the good senators we can get and would encourage them all to speak more forcefully about things like UHC, a higher federal wage, GMI, and other such social goods. In fact I find wanting them to "go away" to be very suspect and reflects poorly on the speaker.

Look, if someone isn't in 100% in agreement with me in the manner that I choose I don't want them on my side. Also, I WILL NOT take context into consideration.

I don't believe this

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 14, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Democrazy posted:

Speaking of the single-payer bill (is this the right thread to talk about this?), one of the things that Sanders doesn't get enough credit for is actually putting out a substantive bill which can begin the legislative conversation. The current conversation around Medicare-For-All definitely needs to be as substantive as possible so that Congresspeople aren't just attaching themselves to an empty proposal like Republicans did with "Repeal Obamacare". It's critical to have this conversation now, warts and all, so that when the Democrats do form a majority again, they have consensus and a piece of legislation with which they can hit the ground running.
Correct. The party has refused to set much of an agenda beyond the standard 'Trump Bad' which as we know worked so well in 2016.

You can criticize Sanders if you want, but he is making an effort here on actual policy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

withak posted:

The think I worry about isn't Clinton vs Sanders so much as BLM vs Leftists. Democrats need the votes of minorities who are not necessarily very leftist apart from affirmative action, voter rights, murdercops and so on. Black voters are Democrats but it's not a given that they're in favor of gay rights, high taxes, government regulation, etc.

Edit: Regarding Medicare-FA, had anyone put a credible number to how high tax rates would increase to fund it?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 14, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the redeeming virtue of the moderate centrist is that they genuinely do have no beliefs. while they reflexively oppose progressive policy on the vague principle that doing anything is worse than doing nothing, their opposition is just as flaccid and ephemeral as their support.

as every protest movement in history has demonstrated, they can be safely ignored.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

The think I worry about isn't Clinton vs Sanders so much as BLM vs Leftists. Democrats need the votes of minorities who are not necessarily very leftist apart from affirmative action, voter rights, murdercops and so on. Black voters are Democrats but it's not a given that they're in favor of gay rights, high taxes, government regulation, etc.

Edit: Regarding Medicare-FA, had anyone put a credible number to how high tax rates would increase to fund it?

the problem with that is depending on the angle you take the number can either inflate into infinity or fall to effectively negative.

what's the window in which you're calculating, do you allow for the increased negotiating power of universal health care to have dropped prices any, do you assume that the intrusion of government will magically cause prices to rise, at what point do you set the extrapolations to occur, etc, etc, and that's all before you start talking about any specifics in the actual bill.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

Look, if someone isn't in 100% in agreement with me in the manner that I choose I don't want them on my side. Also, I WILL NOT take context into consideration.

I don't believe this

At this point, it's not about being in 100% agreement with anyone. No one here is in 100% agreement with Bernie Sanders, or really anyone else here. That's not why people here are calling for Hillary Clinton to go away. It's because right now, Sanders is doing something constructive for the Democrats, she's not, and yet she's pretending like she's taking the high road by "calling on him" to be "helpful."

Like, seriously, can you really not see what's lovely about that? She's the one standing in the way of party unity.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

Correct. The party has refused to set much of an agenda beyond the standard 'Trump Bad' which as we know worked so well in 2016.

You can criticize Sanders if you want, but he is making an effort here on actual policy.

Well there is also a rapidly diminishing wing of the party screaming about Russia, but yea it would be nice if they would unify around healthcare for a start. It would be a great thing to run on in 2018 and maybe not get blown out like they are on track to do now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is only true if you think of BLM as the handful of centrist democrats that have become associated with the movement like Deray McKesson or Brittany Packnett. BLM, DSA and most other leftwing organizations get along just fine in every single protest so far.

Edit: and even then, that is not true regarding gay rights.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 14, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The only leftist group that people don't get along with is RCP and it's their own fault.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jaxyon posted:

The only leftist group that people don't get along with is RCP and it's their own fault.

Does TYT count as a leftist group? Cause they are pretty terrible as well.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also I'd like to add that the idea that black folks are any more homophobic than any other group is a racist myth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's fair.

Also whatever new media group Jimmy Dore is part of. What a dumb piece of poo poo he is.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Imho we need more far far left crazy talk radio.

We must not allow a talk radio gap!

TYT was fairly mad during the election in particular, and I don't mean "angry"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

That's fair.

Also whatever new media group Jimmy Dore is part of. What a dumb piece of poo poo he is.

yeah, I'm okay with most of the others despite not wanting to listen to them, but Dore is essentially the Mark Levin of the left.

the left does need a presence in talk radio, and TYT fills that void somewhat. there are a few others like Randi Rhodes, but most others are regional and have few listeners. Air america failed because the left doesn't really like talk radio, and the corporate behemoths will crush you.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 14, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/908376369956089856

Waiting for more info but you should expect is covering currently serving troops with any extra protections as a bonus

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

At this point, it's not about being in 100% agreement with anyone. No one here is in 100% agreement with Bernie Sanders, or really anyone else here. That's not why people here are calling for Hillary Clinton to go away. It's because right now, Sanders is doing something constructive for the Democrats, she's not, and yet she's pretending like she's taking the high road by "calling on him" to be "helpful."

Like, seriously, can you really not see what's lovely about that? She's the one standing in the way of party unity.

Read the spoiler man. To be clear: yes, I get it, Hillary isn't a leader of the party anymore but still wields influence and it's not being used constructively.

Single-payer, once again, has momentum (what, the 7th or 8th time?), but let's not pretend this is some new concept that only one man could have pushed. Bernie deserves some credit for making it an issue in the campaign, but the high-level attempt to repeal the ACA and the subsequent failure is what really cast it into the spotlight among a wider audience than just the Democrats.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 14, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/908345439598104577
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/908346681216954368

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

meth is so 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I wonder if you linked Kurt to some hentai with a flashing gif embedded it would kill him

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wonder if you linked Kurt to some hentai with a flashing gif embedded it would kill him

he'd just show it to his adult sons

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I... think I agree with Kurt.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If anything he's being too generous. The *ONLY* reason is because they're hispanic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No, but you get to go to jail.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

Read the spoiler man.

Oops, I misunderstood what you meant.

quote:

To be clear: yes, I get it, Hillary isn't a leader of the party anymore but still wields influence and it's not being used constructively.

Single-payer, once again, has momentum (what, the 7th or 8th time?), but let's not pretend this is some new concept that only one man could have pushed. Bernie deserves some credit for making it an issue in the campaign, but the high-level attempt to repeal the ACA and the subsequent failure is what really cast it into the spotlight among a wider audience than just the Democrats.

Sure, I don't think anyone here would deny that. Contrary to how Sanders' supporters are often portrayed, we're not a personality cult. We like Bernie a lot, but if another Democratic legislator were proposing this and doing the legwork for it, guess what? We'd be thrilled! We'd love that person too. Yes, possibly even if it were Booker. (although he'd probably be a very different person if he were the one spearheading the whole thing) This isn't some sort of "Every good thing going forward is all thanks to Bernie!" delusion. He's just the one doing the most heavy lifting on this issue right now.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Main Paineframe posted:

A lot of people aren't generally satisfied by their health insurance, though. That's why there's such a push for healthcare reform in the first place - not only are people not satisfied with their own health insurance, but they're not happy about the entire insurance system as it currently exists.

http://khn.org/news/despite-kvetching-most-consumers-satisfied-with-health-plans-poll/

quote:

The Kaiser Family Foundation poll revealed that 71 percent of insured adults younger than 65 considered the health care services they receive to be either “excellent” or “good” values. (KHN is an editorially independent program of the foundation.) A majority — 61 percent — said their insurance plan was either excellent or good, given its cost.

That's a lot of people that might not be thrilled with the government saying you can't have your plan anymore, even if the government plan is better.

Look, I want single payer to pass. Because I want it to pass though, I think it's really important we take into consideration what resistance from the public there might be, so we can think of ways to address it. I think there's a better way to virtually eliminate the private insurance market than telling people they can no longer get private insurance plans.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jazerus posted:

meth is so 2015

Meths still pretty popular.

I wouldn't mind changing gun control to gun safety but I'm a rural hick who likes shooting stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ague Proof posted:

You know when people say Clinton was impeached for lying to the American people - "depends on what Is means" - do they ever bring up Reagan's best quote?

It was "it depends on what your definition of is is."

To explain that his statement of "There is nothing going on between us" was not a false statement because they had ended their affair two months before the statement.

Please get our Presidential blowjob history correct.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Racism is a boring thing that white people love? :p

The biggest fans of baseball are actually Latinos and the Japanese.

Polygynous posted:

stockholder lives(???) matter

Chic-Fil-A isn't a publicly traded company.

They also limit all franchisees to only one store, so the people who own and work in the local Chic-Fil-A all live in the area.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Majorian posted:

Oops, I misunderstood what you meant.

Sure, I don't think anyone here would deny that. Contrary to how Sanders' supporters are often portrayed, we're not a personality cult. We like Bernie a lot, but if another Democratic legislator were proposing this and doing the legwork for it, guess what? We'd be thrilled! We'd love that person too. Yes, possibly even if it were Booker. (although he'd probably be a very different person if he were the one spearheading the whole thing) This isn't some sort of "Every good thing going forward is all thanks to Bernie!" delusion. He's just the one doing the most heavy lifting on this issue right now.

Bernie supporters went nuts over Tulsi Gabbard because she chose Bernie over Hillary. It was very much a personality cult.

• Locked thread