Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Pretty soon those phones are going to be $1000, too.

Inflation is a hell of a thing, yes.

Thanks Ants posted:

iPhone is the only popular platform that gets updated, so I'm paying the Apple Tax for a while yet. My 6S has a couple years left in it though I'm sure.

6+ and they'll pry the headphone jack out of my cold, dead hands. It's a shame android's going the same way.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I can't decide if it's going to push Android adoption higher or if iPhone people are really that committed to their brand.

The answer is going to depress you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Samsung sells the most Android phones of anyone.

It's a running joke in the Android thread that Samsung phones are so loaded with their customizations and bloat ware that they aren't even Android anymore. Hence the :v:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yeah; it's always funny to see Samsung fans complain about, for example, the iPhone 4S (2011) not getting iOS 10 (2016) when the Samsung Galaxy S4 (2013) didn't get Marshmallow (2015).

ASUS. Still waiting on an answer on Nougat.

Even though my tablet keeps telling me I need to upgrade the included software. The new versions of which only run on Nougat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I can't decide if it's going to push Android adoption higher or if iPhone people are really that committed to their brand.

I mean realistically it's going to push the price of the iphone 6 and 7 down and people will buy more of those, I guess.

To be frank, every time I consider switching back out from apple I think about how I got a brand spanking new android phone in 2009 or so, and found out the OS was more than a year out of date because tmobile didn't want to update their bespoke flavor of android. It ran like poo poo, i was paying for a data connection that i could barely use, most of the apps i was interested in using either worked poorly or didn't install because of version mismatches, it was just a real poo poo time. I eventually threw in the towel, flipped to an iphone and it was like night and day, it was just ridiculous.

I've got issues with apple, but on the other hand my wife's still using a 4 year old iphone, I'm still using a 3 year old one, and they're still getting security updates, which seems to be more than some 3-5 year old android phones are getting right now. If apple wants to have bespoke $1000 phones, gold and diamond encrusted watches and $3,000 laptops the size of a piece of paper, then I'm just going to be glad there's whales out there buying them on a yearly cycle and funding the free OS updates for everyone on the other side of the upgrade bell curve.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I actually regret rooting this phone, it has made things (updates) much more complicated and I didnt need to transfer that much actually.
Although, apparently the new firmware introduces problems so :unsmith:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Multiple tickets and phonecalls came in:

Corporate is implementing a new major company software that requires our office network. There is a training session taking place for tens of users. They've scheduled it in an external location that doesn't have access to our office network. So suddenly we have several first time VPN users, and a multitude of issues possibly caused by tens of already connected users all using the same VPN at the same time in the same location.

IT was not consulted beforehand. :shepicide:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Attestant posted:

Multiple tickets and phonecalls came in:

Corporate is implementing a new major company software that requires our office network. There is a training session taking place for tens of users. They've scheduled it in an external location that doesn't have access to our office network. So suddenly we have several first time VPN users, and a multitude of issues possibly caused by tens of already connected users all using the same VPN at the same time in the same location.

IT was not consulted beforehand. :shepicide:

To be honest I'm more surprised that they didn't call about not being able to connect to the company wifi.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
It's now slightly past lunch time, and we've moved on to calls where the VPN has disconnected due to inactivity during a break. Some of the end users are now unable to remember how to login again. (The exact same way as in the morning.)

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I feel bad for whomever has to audit my calls.

Customer: "Yeah I plugged a mouse into the back USB port, it didn't work and when I removed it, the USB port started smoking"
Me: "Lights or Menthols?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Why is it that a company which has defined business hours as 9-5 gives a poo poo past 5 o'clock is beyond me.

People definitely don't look for information on your website outside of 9-5. They definitely won't assume that if you cannot keep your site up you cannot keep their order straight either.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket comes in "I'm locked out of <App1>"

I tell the user that we have no access to that app and she needs to contact that team. User then proceeds to send an e-mail to the team "I need to be unlocked from <App2>" which results in them sending the ticket to us because they can't be assed to read the god drat body of the e-mail.

Either this will end up that she really mean App2 or App1 controls App2 because who the gently caress knows? I've been cobbling together a knowledge base from scratch since I started less than a year ago.

:sigh: I'm so loving tired of talking to people. Just let me work on server\network poo poo.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't get an iPhone 7. I got my 6 on AT&T's payment plan and I'm reimbursed each month so work basically bought the phone for me. So... makes me want to get an 8 the same way and see how much of it I can get paid for by work before I need to switch jobs.

This, and make sure you set it up so it's paid off in the quickest time possible. Perk++

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Malek posted:

I feel bad for whomever has to audit my calls.

Customer: "Yeah I plugged a mouse into the back USB port, it didn't work and when I removed it, the USB port started smoking"
Me: "Lights or Menthols?"

:laffo:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A massive AT&T outage internal switch failure came in.

So that's fun.

Completely out of the water right now.

Edit: Why can't hardware just fail completely, instead of doing weird poo poo and causing all sorts of other things to go haywire? When we killed the offending switch, everything stabilized within a few minutes.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 13, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm sorry for everyone who has to deal with the increase in "accidentally" broken or lost phones in a couple of weeks.

I hope you have suitably lovely feature phones ready as loaners. :v:

Post / Username combo ftw

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I've been really positive about the new release of our software. There were a few kinks to work out in the betas but they were minor, and most of the glaring defects from the last version were fixed finally.

We got the release candidate today and in 5 hours I entered 4 bug reports just for one area of the program.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

porktree posted:

This, and make sure you set it up so it's paid off in the quickest time possible. Perk++

:20bux::hf::20bux:

As soon as they're shipping I'm going to check out how AT&T handles the upgrade process.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

Hi Ghostlight,

I think Generically Named Cleaning Company have had their emails blacklisted by us again. The emails would be coming from an address with @genericname.com in it.

Can you please check and clear for us if that is the case? Is there a way of stopping it from recurring as we are constantly missing their invoices and this means we get put on stop credit.
Let me just check the filters. Oh, I wonder how this failed to make it through the spam filter??

quote:

To: Accounts@Company.com
From: Accounts@Genericname.com

Subject: Generic Name Co - Invoice #1385923
Attachments: ATT0000601934.pdf

Please find attached our Invoice.
Should you have any questions please contact us.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Do the needfull, let accounting sort it out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Email delivery is the job of the sender, you'd better make sure you have your SPF, DKIM, DMARC etc. all squeaky clean before you start asking me to look at why they're being rejected at our end.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

People definitely don't look for information on your website outside of 9-5. They definitely won't assume that if you cannot keep your site up you cannot keep their order straight either.

Oh, I never said I agree with it. I think it's hilariously obtuse. I call this place bizarro world for a reason.

I told them it is a 24x7 shop when I started and they steadfastly hold to 9-5. This is a financial industry/bank, which last I checked, operates outside of just 9-5. We've even given them direct examples (ATM's) that cannot be used if a site loses it's internet connection, but nobody seems to give a poo poo. :iiam:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my coworkers were arguing about eggs while I was opening a ticket, so I accidentally opened it with the issue being "protein".

It's going to be one of those days

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Thanks Ants posted:

Email delivery is the job of the sender, you'd better make sure you have your SPF, DKIM, DMARC etc. all squeaky clean before you start asking me to look at why they're being rejected at our end.

:downs: Our email through Joe Bob's Bait and Spam Shop keeps going to spam!
:) You can't use @company.com if you're not in the SPF, and the SPF for @company.com is full
:downs: But it's imperative for this marketing campaign to use that domain!
:) Then you can't use Joe Bob's.
:downs: Joe Bob's contacted us, they said "just add these 8 new lookups to your SPF"
:) Our SPF is full, sorry can't do this per [extensive paper trail going back months]
:downs: I'm afraid I'll have to escalate this.
:) Have fun.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket came in, a user took a laptop from another branch office and needs it for a conference call.

Normally, this isn't a huge deal except all of our laptops are encrypted and can only be signed into via the long admin password or the person it was encrypted for. It also is configured for another subnet. It's also been sitting unused for 90 days so it got removed from AD. Yeah. Good job.

This is why you don't take laptops from other branches without telling IT. :sigh:

In hindsight, I should've checked it yesterday when they called in but, this works out as a tiny lesson I guess?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm in a server closet. This is the light switch.

It's the bottom one, right next to the ones that control power for mission-critical PLC equipment at a multimillion dollar industrial processing facility.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Entropic posted:

I'm in a server closet. This is the light switch.

It's the bottom one, right next to the ones that control power for mission-critical PLC equipment at a multimillion dollar industrial processing facility.

For the love of poo poo at least put electrical tape over the "Will bring down infrastructure" ones. Or kludge together some kind of cardboard protective shell if those are the kind of switches that automatically turn off if there's a fault.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kurieg posted:

For the love of poo poo at least put electrical tape over the "Will bring down infrastructure" ones. Or kludge together some kind of cardboard protective shell if those are the kind of switches that automatically turn off if there's a fault.

Don't try to tape a breaker into the ON position please.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't try to tape a breaker into the ON position please.

No, swap them out for a fuse box and then put nails in instead of fuses.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

300A relays cost $20, so gently caress your workplace.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't try to tape a breaker into the ON position please.

Do american breakers not fail regardless of switch blockage?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SEKCobra posted:

Do american breakers not fail regardless of switch blockage?

They shouldn't care about the switch itself, but given the photo of that panel...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There should be nothing wrong with putting a lockout on a breaker, assuming you have another way to drop power to that kit (like an EPO button).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A ticket came in..

We are getting spam e-mails from one of our domains that should have been caught by SPF.

Looking at the SPF configuration this morning, the IP address that the spam came from is in O365s spf includes.

:negative:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So because of this post:

halfcoordinated posted:

Hey folks, just wanted to let you all know that I'll be the focus of the next Waypoint Presents episode, a gaming documentary series on Disney XD. The episode is set to premier Thursday the 14th at 11pm EDT. It features my SGDQ run and the event itself, as well as visiting my apartment and my parent's house. Also they talked to fellow goon Oyster too.

Bonus round: multiple mildly embarrassing clips of me as a kid in home videos are used.

I decided to DVR something at work so I don't forget. (Kind reminder I work for the ISP)

While doing that, I found a minor issue with our website that prevented me from setting the recording, so I asked one of our engineers to take a look thinking it was just my computer having an issue.

It's been 4 hours now and I'm in the middle of a giant conference call and multiple e-mail threads with angry C levels over why this thing hasn't been fixed yet. All because I decided to DVR some stupid video game TV show on Disney channel about a goon who plays video games with one hand.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Renegret posted:

So because of this post:

I decided to DVR something at work so I don't forget. (Kind reminder I work for the ISP)

While doing that, I found a minor issue with our website that prevented me from setting the recording, so I asked one of our engineers to take a look thinking it was just my computer having an issue.

It's been 4 hours now and I'm in the middle of a giant conference call and multiple e-mail threads with angry C levels over why this thing hasn't been fixed yet. All because I decided to DVR some stupid video game TV show on Disney channel about a goon who plays video games with one hand.

So everything is on fire isn't it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

So everything is on fire isn't it.

Yea

The whole thing is a clusterfuck that has devolved into the "pointing fingers at other department" phase of troubleshooting because nobody knows what the gently caress is going on.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Renegret posted:

Yea

The whole thing is a clusterfuck that has devolved into the "pointing fingers at other department" phase of troubleshooting because nobody knows what the gently caress is going on.

So any normal day then.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Entropic posted:

I'm in a server closet. This is the light switch.

It's the bottom one, right next to the ones that control power for mission-critical PLC equipment at a multimillion dollar industrial processing facility.

For God's sake don't turn off the tunnel sensor or you'll get no warning when the C.H.U.D. come up from the sewers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

For God's sake don't turn off the tunnel sensor or you'll get no warning when the C.H.U.D. come up from the sewers.

The Chief Humanoid Underground Dweller

"Yes, all the C-levels' offices are, uh... downstairs.

"Waaaaaay downstairs."

:zombie:

  • Locked thread