Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man there are so many people on TheForce.net butthurt over this it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Except it wasn't fun or watchable, it was bad and boring.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thrawn527 posted:

I agree, though some days I'd say it's the second best. I go back and forth on 6. The shapeshifter stuff is a little too silly. And Kim Cattrall's search for the space boots loses me every time. But god drat is Christopher Plummer so good in it.

Yep, exactly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The only Trek movies I would comfortably agree are worse than 09 are The Voyage Home, Nemesis, and Into Darkness. Abrams directed 2 of the worst 4 Trek movies, and his Wars movie was in the bottom half of the 8 made to date, that's not a record that should see him get the chair in another space movie.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 14, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Literally every TNG Trek movie is worse than the entire reboot series. Probably Search for Spock, as well.

Edit: But that's beside the point when it comes to whether he should do Episode IX. I think Force Awakens is just okay, but it made a ton of money and, in Disney's eyes, successfully primed the Star Wars pump. He's one of the safest choices, but he makes sense from their point of view.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 14, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NTRabbit posted:

The only Trek movies I would comfortably agree are worse than 09 are The Voyage Home, Nemesis, and Into Darkness. Abrams directed 2 of the worst 4 Trek movies, and his Wars movie was in the bottom half of the 8 made to date, that's not a record that should see him get the chair in another space movie.

His financial record is the one that get him the chair in another space movie. And the critical success of his movies. Which are basically the two ways to determine if people, in general, liked a movie. I mean, I'm sorry you don't like his movies, but you shouldn't expect him to not get another job. He's made studios a poo poo ton of money, and made movies that are very well received by critics and the movie going public alike.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I also don't know by what criteria a studio determines a movie is "bad", since from their viewpoint both Abrams Star Trek movies had strong critical reviews and were modest financial successes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

I also don't know by what criteria a studio determines a movie is "bad", since from their viewpoint both Abrams Star Trek movies had strong critical reviews and were modest financial successes.

Star Trek '09 is the most financially successful Star Trek movie ever, even after adjusted for inflation. When adjusted, Into Darkness only drops from #2 to #4. They were hits in the Star Trek series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not a huge fan of 09 either but lmao it is not worse than Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not a huge fan of 09 either but lmao it is not worse than Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

5 gains a lot of goodwill with me based solely on "What does God need with a starship?" And some genuinely great acting from Deforest Kelley. But it's a complete poo poo show outside of that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Neo Rasa posted:

I think you'll find that Final Frontier doesn't exist, and never happened, much like the Sinbad movie Shazaam and the two Matrix sequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My favorite story about 5 was that Shatner asked Paramount for the raw footage from the movie so he could do a "Director's Cut" version like The Motion Picture got, with cleaned up visuals and maybe even special effects, and they basically said, "lol, no."

quote:

Asked by IGN Filmforce if Paramount had considered adding new special effects or reediting, Shatner said: "No, they wouldn't give it to me [...] They considered it for about 5 minutes."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My sister in law liked it. Her review was "I liked it, everyone was so cute."

This causes me a bit of reflexive anger, because while it can certainly be stated that Star Trek has some scientific and drat near literary legitimacy from time to time, the cheesecake cute people factor was certainly in full effect. I mean you can sort girls into KIRK or SPOCK girls for a reason.

thrawn527 posted:

5 gains a lot of goodwill with me based solely on "What does God need with a starship?" And some genuinely great acting from Deforest Kelley. But it's a complete poo poo show outside of that.

5 has like four or five really amazing moments, but geez, what a mess otherwise. I mean once you read, "According to William Shatner, the film's main plot themes and elements were inspired by the televangelist movement of the late 1980s." you get more of a sense of oh, I guess that IS what they were doing, but...

And Deforest Kelley was always too drat good for Star Trek, which is not at all an indictment of the series, he was just always the best part of it.

edit: but I'd preorder a directors cut of V.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: but I'd preorder a directors cut of V.

Oh sure. Make those CGI rock monsters you want, Shatner. I'm sure that will make it a good movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I mean you can sort girls into KIRK or SPOCK girls for a reason.

...so you can fire all the SPOCK girls into the sun!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electromax posted:

...so you can fire all the SPOCK girls into the sun!

Highly illogical.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So something occurred to me the other day while watching an interview with Mark Hamill, where he's complaining about his "contractually obligated beard", saying that, "As soon as we're done shooting, this thing is gone." They've already wrapped filming on TLJ, presumably. So he must mean for Episode IX, right? Meaning he lives through TLJ?

edit: Or is a force ghost. Duh. Dumb thrawn527.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

So something occurred to me the other day while watching an interview with Mark Hamill, where he's complaining about his "contractually obligated beard", saying that, "As soon as we're done shooting, this thing is gone." They've already wrapped filming on TLJ, presumably. So he must mean for Episode IX, right? Meaning he lives through TLJ?

edit: Or is a force ghost. Duh. Dumb thrawn527.

I feel like even if Luke was scheduled to die in TLJ that prooobably got shelved once they realized they wouldn't have Leia anymore.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like even if Luke was scheduled to die in TLJ that prooobably got shelved once they realized they wouldn't have Leia anymore.

He's Disney's last major link to the money factory that is the OT. Luke is effectively immortal.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He could easily die but come back as a Force Ghost for IX.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

I know . A lindelof Star Wars would be fantastic but . What can you do.

Have you *seen* Tomorrowland?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Holy poo poo, Disney, which manufactured the commercially pure and perfect products Rogue One and Force Awakens, rehired JJ Abrams after a creative freedom dispute with another director? I can't loving believe it.

Also, porgs look like Pokemon ripoffs. This is so lame. I'll probably enjoy it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't want the dude who made The Book of Henry anywhere near this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Remulak posted:

Have you *seen* Tomorrowland?

No

Was it as good as Prometheus ?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

a creative freedom dispute with another director? I can't loving believe it.

Trevorrow was a bad idea from the start. Book of Henry was a wake-up call.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

No

Was it as good as Prometheus ?

Prometheus sucked rear end.

although that was like minimally lindlof's fault. he was brought on at the very last minute to try and salvage the script iirc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Disney execs saw Book of Henry and they got shook. Hard.

Colin Trevorrow more like Boring Tomorrow.

*fistpump; fuckin' nailed it*

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Prometheus sucked rear end.

although that was like minimally lindlof's fault. he was brought on at the very last minute to try and salvage the script iirc

Yeah, to be fair to the guy his interest in creating unsolved "myseries" probably helped gloss over many of the issues the script had previously.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The Alien Engineers script is actually good and makes sense; the Lindelof rewrite was mandated by Ridley Scott because he wanted to remove all traces of Alien (it had Xenomorphs, it was set on the original planet, bunch of poo poo) and make his weird standalone statement.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Szmitten posted:

The Alien Engineers script is actually good and makes sense; the Lindelof rewrite was mandated by Ridley Scott because he wanted to remove all traces of Alien (it had Xenomorphs, it was set on the original planet, bunch of poo poo) and make his weird standalone statement.

It's insanely boring. People creep through caves and hallways to shoot an alien. A professor stumbles into a room full of eggs and peeks into one. David teaches himself trinary to escape his programming. Weyland is here to steal the secrets of terraforming, because that's what Weyland does in Aliens. It's even more like AvP than the final Prometheus script.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus rules.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Prometheus rules.

I liked prometheus, it had rough issues with it but overall a cool new direction... then alien covenant came along and pissed on itself and anything that made prometheus any good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nah, Covenant rules, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Disney execs saw Book of Henry and they got shook. Hard.

Colin Trevorrow more like Boring Tomorrow.

*fistpump; fuckin' nailed it*

Maybe but I think it was more Abrams agreeing to direct which forced out Trevorow.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Maybe but I think it was more Abrams agreeing to direct which forced out Trevorow.

Oh, I really don't think so. And if so, they would only try to get Abrams because they really didn't want Trevorrow, so it's basically the same thing.

The whole thing reads to me that they didn't like where Trevorrow was taking Episode IX, Book of Henry reviews gave them some cover/excuses, kicked him off the movie, and went with someone they know can finish a movie how they want. It was pretty obvious the moment Trevorrow was out that it was going to be either Abrams or Rian Johnson.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They asked Rian first but he declined because he couldn't commit the necessary time to jump right into Episode 9 pre-production while there's still so much to do with Episode 8.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G-III posted:

I liked prometheus, it had rough issues with it but overall a cool new direction... then alien covenant came along and pissed on itself and anything that made prometheus any good.

Prometheus has grown on me like some sort of tumor. It took some time now I like it.

But Covenant...egads, not sure about that one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They asked Rian first but he declined because he couldn't commit the necessary time to jump right into Episode 9 pre-production while there's still so much to do with Episode 8.

The film's completely finished, actually.

Still, can't blame the dude for wanting to take it easy.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
i think this is the only spoiler thread in history without any actual spoilers

Has there been any leaks along the lines of "han solo dies in the third act?"

also it amazes me that everyone who read that leak kept it under wraps. There were no videos of people driving by the movie theater shouting it out and nobody blaring it on facebook. I was actually in awe that everyone was so respectful about not loving over other people for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

The film's completely finished, actually.

Still, can't blame the dude for wanting to take it easy.

He still needs to spend the next 4 months doing press and publicity for the film.

• Locked thread