Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ShaneB posted:

Carcosa day! Hope a lgs has it.

I completely forgot until I got into work this morning and one of my coworkers wordlessly placed it on my desk like a drug dealer who knows she has an easy mark.

Yes, I will take a hit of cardboard altered reality, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yesss, everyone play Lola she’s so fun deckbuildijg for.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Craaaaap, gotta do some digging this afternoon!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's going to be really hard for me to not incorporate Carcosa cards into decks I want to run through Dunwich. I know it's like officially do what you want, but it feels kind of against the spirit of Dunwich to use an even larger cardpool then they had during dev and testing. Might as well be patient and go through Dunwich a bit before getting Carcosa.

(Who am I kidding?)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ShaneB posted:

It's going to be really hard for me to not incorporate Carcosa cards into decks I want to run through Dunwich. I know it's like officially do what you want, but it feels kind of against the spirit of Dunwich to use an even larger cardpool then they had during dev and testing. Might as well be patient and go through Dunwich a bit before getting Carcosa.

(Who am I kidding?)

I'm pretty sure FFG is on record saying you should incorporate future cards in deck building for earlier scenarios.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm pretty sure FFG is on record saying you should incorporate future cards in deck building for earlier scenarios.

Yeah, it's just an artificial "challenge" for myself to just limit myself to the entire Dunwich cardpool during a run. But honestly I like winning and having fun with my wife more than losing.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It's definitely a fun deckbuilding exercise, and you can incorporate a storytelling/roleplaying element into it to justify having or not having access to later cards.

"Roland stumbled upon the lightning gun only after rummaging through the village of Dunwich, but after the events there unfolded, he found himself Lost in Time and Space. He was suddenly facing down the Ghoul Priest again, with slightly more firepower this time..."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To expand on my previous post, Lola is probably my favorite investigator to play now. Being able to be a true multiclass character and shift roles on demand is incredibly powerful and she will no doubt be a staple in multiplayer groups for that. She especially shines in a three player game where she can bring the three missing roles' best cards.

Mark is a beast if he has some form of damage/horror management.

Sefina, William, and Akachi are all potential powerhouses as well, each drawing on a different recursion type effect with events, assets, and spell/asset charges respectively. This is going to be a really fun set of characters to build around. Sefina seems limited by the low level event card pool but the high level stuff is incredible, so if you get her there having a lot of powerful effects on demand will be nuts.

Astral Travel is a phenomenal card and will be an auto include for most mystics or investigators that can off class mystic.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 14, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yesss, everyone play Lola she’s so fun deckbuildijg for.

How did you build her? A couple people in my group took swings but so far haven't seemed to hit on anything.

I'm thinking Survivor stat boosters/Mystic statboosters, alongside Guardian/Rogue events & permanents (basically trying to minimize trouble from her weakness & the need to jump). I'd also like to fit in higher learning, but that may require leaning more heavily into Seeker than I'd like.

Also I really hate the 6/6 for sanity & health. I think 7/7 would've been fine and not left her feeling quite so fragile. She just seems to take a lot of setup in general (similar to Jenny Barnes imo, only with higher setup/payoff).

Also yeah, all the new investigators seem really fun (honestly there's not been one I haven't liked in the game so far but still). Honestly this game just amazes me every time I play it, it's probably FFG's best product ever. Everything just works so well.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 14, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It's definitely a fun deckbuilding exercise, and you can incorporate a storytelling/roleplaying element into it to justify having or not having access to later cards.

"Roland stumbled upon the lightning gun only after rummaging through the village of Dunwich, but after the events there unfolded, he found himself Lost in Time and Space. He was suddenly facing down the Ghoul Priest again, with slightly more firepower this time..."

I don't understand why you'd need to justify it. None of the player cards are tied to the Dunwich story in any way.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, it's just an artificial "challenge" for myself to just limit myself to the entire Dunwich cardpool during a run. But honestly I like winning and having fun with my wife more than losing.

If you get to the point where the game is too easy just play on a higher difficulty. Removing deckbuilding options just seems like a way to remove a lot of the fun to me.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I do it both ways. I believe they actually do create cards with previous blocks in mind. Actually they probably have the whole Carcosa block finished and are working on the next one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The newer cards are also a good excuse to go back and try harder difficulties. Combined with knowing the possible threats you'll face it can be a really fun but manageable challenge.

Does anyone play this online? I'd love to play more 4 player in a dedicated group via TTS or something.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Sefina seems limited by the low level event card pool but the high level stuff is incredible, so if you get her there having a lot of powerful effects on demand will be nuts.

Which high level stuff were you thinking of? She can't use Painted World on exceptional cards so you are left with Bind Monster, Blinding Light (2), Mind Wipe, Hot Streak, Sure Gamble, Emergency Cache (2), and Moment of Respite.

Only Sure Gamble seems incredible. Blinding Light (2) is nice to have but the rest are niche at best.

I really want to like her but I think we need more cards before she really starts to shine.

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone play this online? I'd love to play more 4 player in a dedicated group via TTS or something.

I'd play this online if I knew a good way to do it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Which high level stuff were you thinking of? She can't use Painted World on exceptional cards so you are left with Bind Monster, Blinding Light (2), Mind Wipe, Hot Streak, Sure Gamble, Emergency Cache (2), and Moment of Respite.

Only Sure Gamble seems incredible. Blinding Light (2) is nice to have but the rest are niche at best.

I really want to like her but I think we need more cards before she really starts to shine.

Forgot about the exceptional part, drat. That definitely hurts her for now, especially since pulling the card costs an action. So much of this game comes down to spending your actions on either playing cards, moving, or doing challenges, it's really hard to justify anything else.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I think Sefina can use Delve Too Deep with The Painted World.

5 bonus XP each scenario while nearly guaranteeing the party's loss makes me want to try an "I'm outta here!" style playthrough where Investigators bumble and fail their way through a campaign only to finally defeat an ancient god by ramming a boat load of upgraded cards into him.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I think Sefina can use Delve Too Deep with The Painted World.

5 bonus XP each scenario while nearly guaranteeing the party's loss makes me want to try an "I'm outta here!" style playthrough where Investigators bumble and fail their way through a campaign only to finally defeat an ancient god by ramming a boat load of upgraded cards into him.

I don't think that works. Painted world goes to the VP area but then there's no actual VP on it.

That said, Delve is such a fun card. Our first run though Carcosa had us ending up with 12 vps after the first scenario from 5 delves and William's unique card.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I don't think that works. Painted world goes to the VP area but then there's no actual VP on it.

That said, Delve is such a fun card. Our first run though Carcosa had us ending up with 12 vps after the first scenario from 5 delves and William's unique card.

Yeah, I reread a bunch of rules before posting that because I wasn't sure. I think it comes down to whether or not "play as an exact copy" means it stays an exact copy while in the victory display.

Edit:

I just realized that William Yorik can dig up dead cats, dogs, and football players after killing enemies and put them into play. He is a necromancer!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 14, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did the OCTGN module get finished? Playing card games on TTS is loving excruciating

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that Pete with the new survivor cards is insane. Lantern, Gravedigger's Shovel, and Resourceful are all killer (along with Scavenging) and cycling them can be a great resource sink to keep Dark Horse triggered. It's a good enough setup to drop Fire Axe (and use it in a Mystic deck that really needs it instead). I haven't experimented with Yorick yet to see if he's an even better all arounder than Pete, but I think Survivor is easily my favorite class now.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 14, 2017

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

StashAugustine posted:

Did the OCTGN module get finished? Playing card games on TTS is loving excruciating

The OCTGN module is complete up to and including Lost in Time and Space, and can be downloaded from the game manager inside the client.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

StashAugustine posted:

Yep and it works pretty well!

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Elenkis posted:

The OCTGN module is complete up to and including Lost in Time and Space, and can be downloaded from the game manager inside the client.

I'll have to look into this, that's pretty sweet news. TTS, while kinda charming for the first ten minutes, was a huge pain to actually play.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

thocan posted:

I'll have to look into this, that's pretty sweet news. TTS, while kinda charming for the first ten minutes, was a huge pain to actually play.

Playing two handed is a bit of a pain but there's a guide for how to do it if you Google "lord of the rings OCTGN two handed" or something similar

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yep and it works pretty well!

Is there a source for card art a la the LOTR LCG packs?

I guess I could technically pay for premium and drag the art in myself but... eh.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a source for card art a la the LOTR LCG packs?

I guess I could technically pay for premium and drag the art in myself but... eh.

First and foremost, you can get all the card images from sites like arkhamdb.com. You just have to rename the images so that they have the funky names that OCTGN uses. For example, Hypnotic Gaze is renamed to 1d1c16b0-53d7-4c36-8d1a-a7fec999f548.jpg

While that is a bit more of a pain if you don't have premium OCTGN, it's do-able in a couple of hours if you know how to mass download card images from a web page, extract image file name information from xml files, and rename the images manually.

With all that said, if you go here:

http://octgngames.com/ahlcg/installation/

You can get images for sets up to Essex County Express and also the 2 standalones packaged up for OCTGN. That should cover about 2/3 of the cards, so you only have to do the rest yourself. I believe OCTGN will provide you image packs for games that have been out for at least 6 months so if you wait long enough, the entirety of Dunwich Legacy will be packaged up for you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, I started using ArkhamDB and doing it all myself, but it was too much of a pain. Glad to see that packs are starting to come out!

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Chaotic Flame posted:

Playing two handed is a bit of a pain but there's a guide for how to do it if you Google "lord of the rings OCTGN two handed" or something similar

Yeah, I've done that before for lotr. Annoying, but hardly the worst thing I've dealt with tying to make an obscure game program behave the way I want it to.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
For Dunwich I printed off these stickers and mounted them to 25mm wooden disks for the investigator tokens. They work great, but now I'm hard up trying to find ones for the new Carcosa investigators.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just remember that the beta version was missing some important information (I think slot items went into?) which you had to get the image packs for

e: and it looks like they fixed that

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 16, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Continuing my futile attempts to get good at this solo. The main issue I'm having at the moment is that being the only investigator means you everything engages with you and only you. More than once I've been in a position where multiple enemies have spawned at once (though a combination of Act/Agenda progression and encounter cards) and because I'm the only investigator there I'm automatically engaged with everything at my location. So I don't physically have enough moves to kill or evade all of them (even assuming I was successful every time) so taking enough damage/horror to almost instantly wipe me out is inevitable.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Continuing my futile attempts to get good at this solo. The main issue I'm having at the moment is that being the only investigator means you everything engages with you and only you. More than once I've been in a position where multiple enemies have spawned at once (though a combination of Act/Agenda progression and encounter cards) and because I'm the only investigator there I'm automatically engaged with everything at my location. So I don't physically have enough moves to kill or evade all of them (even assuming I was successful every time) so taking enough damage/horror to almost instantly wipe me out is inevitable.

Only advance the story at the start of your turn unless you know what is coming. You are better off delaying by playing assets or drawing resources and cards than potentially spawning a monster when you have less than two actions remaining.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Dodge the gently caress out of them and play the running game with hunters, so that you can engage them one by one.

Or pack dynamite.

Having said that, solo play does indeed have that Ghost Stories-like dynamic where you need to keep up the tempo or succumb to spiral of mounting opposition once you stumble.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Only advance the story at the start of your turn unless you know what is coming. You are better off delaying by playing assets or drawing resources and cards than potentially spawning a monster when you have less than two actions remaining.

I more meant the agenda pushing forward and being followed straight away by the encounter deck, but I know what you mean.

I guess evade is the most important stat for solo. Except you need to be able to kill things. And investigate. Alone.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I more meant the agenda pushing forward and being followed straight away by the encounter deck, but I know what you mean.

I guess evade is the most important stat for solo. Except you need to be able to kill things. And investigate. Alone.

Roland is really good solo if you have two core sets. Even more so if you have some of the early Dunwich sets that'll give him access to Laboratory Assistant and Art Student since his sanity is quite bad.

Machete should let you kill monsters faster than they appear while still picking up all the clues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some tips for anyone struggling solo (or beginners in general I guess)

Deckbuilding is generally pretty straightforward in this game thanks to a small card pool, investigator restrictions, and the XP system, but here are some basics:

- build around your main goal: fighting, investigating, etc, but have a plan b in the form of supporting cards and skill icons for when things go wrong or an ally needs a hand
- you generally want 12-15 assets, with the rest of your deck splitting events/skill cards. Pay close attention to the slots the items take up, you don't want a deck full of hand slots because a lot of them will be dead draws and you want to use all your slots to build your tableau.
- if playing solo, include cards that boost your weaker areas or give you clutch get out of trouble abilities (more than just the plan b listed above for general decks)
- you almost always want 2 of every card in your deck for consistency, with maybe 1 or 2 slots being a 1 off
- resource curve is incredibly important, most cards should be 0-2 cost with only a handful being 3 or more (like 5ish total)
- neutral cards are really really important and a handful are almost required in most decks (Unexpected Courage is great, as are the other skill cards that give a card draw). I usually have 8-10 neutrals in most decks.

Always mulligan for a hand that includes some key cards for your investigator + assets (weapons, skill boosters, or health/sanity boosts especially). I aim for 2-3 assets in my starting hand and my first turn or two is usually spent setting up my tableau.

After you have your assets setup you can begin skill checking and aggressively dumping extra assets towards skill checks. Be proactive, it's better to succeed a skill check than to hold on to a card you may not even get to use (and will cost an action to play anyways).

Action economy and pacing of the game are where the real skill lies, and are kind of unique to each scenario with regards to when you can go slow and when you have to rush through. Drawing a card or taking a resoruce for an action are almost always a waste and far and away the worst actions in the game, only do them if you are extremely safe or have no other logical actions. Like I said, you can usually go slow and do setup stuff early game but late game you often have to just skill check and move 100% of the time using your tableau and dumping your hand for skill checks.

Read the flavor text and really look at the art of every card! This game has amazing writing and art direction and is so much better when you really appreciate it and get into the flavor of what's going on.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 16, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

Read the flavor text and really look at the art of every card! This game has amazing writing and art direction and is so much better when you really appreciate it and get into the flavor of what's going on.

Also, the fluff tends to offer subtle hints, such as what should be expected under an unflipped location.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, I think I really want to make a gravedigger deck. Survivor/guardian hybrid with the recursion seems pretty awesome.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, just went through the first scenario in Dunwich:

Are you supposed to be able to feasibly kill the Experiment? The thing had like 13 hit points, so killing it even with a machete as a Guardian seems like it's not going to happen unless you got there without a scratch. We were pretty much scrambling at the end and ended up taking the pretty easy route through the dormitories, which seems like a lovely resolution option.

We only got 2 XP from the first scenario, which means I can't purchase Higher Education, and I am pissed off about it. :(

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

OK, just went through the first scenario in Dunwich:

Are you supposed to be able to feasibly kill the Experiment? The thing had like 13 hit points, so killing it even with a machete as a Guardian seems like it's not going to happen unless you got there without a scratch. We were pretty much scrambling at the end and ended up taking the pretty easy route through the dormitories, which seems like a lovely resolution option.

We only got 2 XP from the first scenario, which means I can't purchase Higher Education, and I am pissed off about it. :(

Dunwich generally has a lot less xp than core since it is a longer campaign. It is one reason I run delve too deep. The other reason is that Delve's negative side effect is sometimes really good. In that scenario it lets you find the janitor a lot quicker.

There is an item you can use that deals a ton of damage to that enemy. I've been able to kill it with both my Rex+Zoey and Daisy+Jenny playthoughs without any issues. Daisy+Jenny was particularly easy since Jenny was able to double or nothing the item.

Has anyone run Dunwich successfully on hard yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The timing is pretty generous. Remember that it moves each time the plan advances, so you have 9 (6?) turns to gently caress it up or find another way to end the game.

Also, it doesn't escalate well to the number of investigators, so solo is pretty hard, 2 is manageable and more is a joke.