Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

It's a little hard (hyperbole) to watch the DS9 Bell Riots of 2024 episode in 2017. But it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Powered Descent posted:

Admiral Hanson was all right. Admiral Nechayev might be a thorn in the Enterprise's side but she isn't evil.

Plus, you know, Jim Kirk was an Admiral for a little while.
And he stole a starship, blew it up, and murdered a number of Klingons in some scheme to resurrect the dead. Textbook crazy admiral.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It's a little hard (hyperbole) to watch the DS9 Bell Riots of 2024 episode in 2017. But it's still good.

I agree, we're not too far away from them!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sisko never worked directly with Section 31...

Yeah, but does that make it better? All that means is that Sisko will go along with political assassinations all on his own.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Does anybody think that we're going to have a congress that would pass a 'Jobs Act' referenced in DS9's "Past Tense" between now and 2024, with enough time for it to be dismantled?

Oh wait... goddamn it... it already happened, in 2012. But it doesn't have the connotations. Ah well. We're still dangerously close to DS9 "historical fiction future" and it scares me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe it's just because I live in rural paradise. But you guys make me laugh.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Speaking of that jacket from Darmok https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-trek/products/star-trek-the-next-generation-captain-picard-darmok-uniform-jacket

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh boy. Apparently CBS has an advance review embargo in place for Discovery. They aren't allowing any until the show actually airs. That's almost always a Bad Thing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh boy. Apparently CBS has an advance review embargo in place for Discovery. They aren't allowing any until the show actually airs. That's almost always a Bad Thing.

If you check my posts over the last year I've tried to remain positive about Discovery and open minded but they are making it really loving hard right now. I feel like the death blow is going to come next week when someone says something to the effect of "We learned a lot from the early episodes and we've made the show ever better!".

Orv
May 4, 2011

J33uk posted:

If you check my posts over the last year I've tried to remain positive about Discovery and open minded but they are making it really loving hard right now. I feel like the death blow is going to come next week when someone says something to the effect of "We learned a lot from the early episodes and we've made the show ever better!".

...by canceling it!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's going to be kind of funny if both fake Trek and real Trek get canceled after one season.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

J33uk posted:

The instant they said it would only be on CBS All Access I knew it would be poo poo. If you actually had something good, you'd put it on Netflix or Hulu.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

The instant they said it would only be on CBS All Access I knew it would be poo poo. If you actually had something good, you'd put it on Netflix or Hulu.

So, that's not necessarily true. CBSAA is a by-product of typical company stupidity in mistaking one of their consumer bases for another. It's entirely possible that Discovery could be good, even trapped on their own special snowflake distribution platform.

We just, unfortunately, happen to know a lot more now that says it will also be bad. It'll also die after one season because no-one is going to pay to watch it, even if it could be redeemed.

Star Trek!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
CBSAA is CBS making literally the exact same mistake that Paramount made with UPN in the 90's.

"Hey the other guys are starting their own networks (FOX then, Netflix now) and being successful, let's do that, but with a new Star Trek as the big selling point."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately Section 31 doesn't have any protocols for terminal stupidity.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

WampaLord posted:

Or, you know, on TV. Like every single other CBS show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just make a CW Star Trek and fill it with sexy 23 year old canadians and call it a day, it'll do gangbusters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The voyages of HMCS Bureaucracy :canada:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

Didn't they have an article like a week or two ago saying "oh hey keep watching and it'll eventually start to look like TOS!" I also remember something about them trying to astroturf one of the sci fi reddits with pro-discovery posts awhile back too

Nothing would make me happier than to be totally wrong and for this show to be good but even their attempts to re-rail the hype train have been abysmal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does anybody think that we're going to have a congress that would pass a 'Jobs Act' referenced in DS9's "Past Tense" between now and 2024, with enough time for it to be dismantled?

Oh wait... goddamn it... it already happened, in 2012. But it doesn't have the connotations. Ah well. We're still dangerously close to DS9 "historical fiction future" and it scares me.

I legitimately find that episode to be overly optimistic compared to reality. The set up for that episode isn't malicious dystopian government so much as well-meaning program that went wrong and ended up with a lot of people falling through the cracks and being ignored.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

To be fair The Good Fight is supposed to be pretty decent. It's just nobody talked about it since they drat near stealth launched it. For me it's not about where it's being released but more just the endless series of delays and concerning news. Jason Isaacs getting shot down for saying "Jesus Christ", the weird attempts at tying into modern politics (which to be clear, Star Trek has always been political, it's just at it's worst when it's being hamfisted) and the tone seems a little too gritty given that this is supposed to be just a few years before Kirk and Spock.

Also I know the CW Trek was a joke but they'd probably give whatever creative team they assembled a fair bit of freedom. Riverdale on paper shouldn't work half as well as it does, but the network seemingly has given them latitude to get as weird as they want.

Edit: Distant Origin is on BBC America right now, really cool episode but boy 90's Star Trek's understanding of evolution seems closer to intelligent design than actual evolution.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 14, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Intelligent design is basically true in Star Trek, all the humanoids in the galaxy were literally seeded by ancient aliens

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

(which to be clear, Star Trek has always been political, it's just at it's worst when it's being hamfisted)

Oh gently caress off this isn't even close to true. Discovery will probably suck for a lot of reasons but if they do an episode that's just "HEY: NAZIS AND FASCISM IS BAD" I won't fault them for it since it's in the finest traditions of these shows

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

J33uk posted:

Edit: Distant Origin is on BBC America right now, really cool episode but boy 90's Star Trek's understanding of evolution seems closer to intelligent design than actual evolution.

Trek has never been really clear on the concept of radiation, either. In Voyager particularly, "radiation" was a slightly heavier-than-air greenish gas. I think they may have confused it with chlorine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skasion posted:

Intelligent design is basically true in Star Trek, all the humanoids in the galaxy were literally seeded by ancient aliens

Who seeded the seeders?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sinteres posted:

Who seeded the seeders?

The very first humanoids evolved naturally and explored the galaxy and found no other life forms like it, which made them sad, so they seeded the universe with magic DNA which through unknown magical means directed humanoid life to develop where ever possible. So that's why 99% of aliens in trek are humans with makeup.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Oh gently caress off this isn't even close to true. Discovery will probably suck for a lot of reasons but if they do an episode that's just "HEY: NAZIS AND FASCISM IS BAD" I won't fault them for it since it's in the finest traditions of these shows

Oh poo poo I'd be fine with that message, although Patterns of Force would be pretty hard to top. It's just some of the comments about how they're approaching the Klingons in particular and how they parallel certain political movements seems like it clashes with how Klingons in that time period operated. That said they're weird Crypt-ship Klingons or something so I suppose you could argue that they just shot all their fascists into space a few centuries back. Make Qo'Nos great again.

Edit: I suppose a better way to summarize would be that I just don't want them to do Enterprise Season 3 style political commentary and instead want some quality TOS/TNG style stuff instead.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 14, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The episode with the "explanation" of humanoids might have a worse understanding of biology than the one where Barclay turns into a spider

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cheetah7071 posted:

The episode with the "explanation" of humanoids might have a worse understanding of biology than the one where Barclay turns into a spider

And then Ridley Scott ripped it off for his new alien movies!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

Oh poo poo I'd be fine with that message, although Patterns of Force would be pretty hard to top. It's just some of the comments about how they're approaching the Klingons in particular and how they parallel certain political movements seems like it clashes with how Klingons in that time period operated. That said they're weird Crypt-ship Klingons or something so I suppose you could argue that they just shot all their fascists into space a few centuries back. Make Qo'Nos great again.

Edit: I suppose a better way to summarize would be that I just don't want them to do Enterprise Season 3 style political commentary and instead want some quality TOS/TNG style stuff instead.

Ok yeah for sure, low rent BSG-style post 9/11 "morality" is exactly what I'm sick of and not wanting to see from Star Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Patterns of Force is kind of alarming for how earnestly it repeats the "Third Reich was an efficient and effective state, if only it could have not been about Jew bashing quite so much :sigh:" myth. Frankly it doesn't engage at all with its concept, the only good part about it is Shat and Nimoy hamming it up as Nazis.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Ok yeah for sure, low rent BSG-style post 9/11 "morality" is exactly what I'm sick of and not wanting to see from Star Trek.

Yeah I'm worried that's how it'll end up. I've got no problem with politics in Trek, The Undiscovered Country is pretty much the reason I went and got a Master's in International Relations. Oh well, in ten days we'll know for sure. Is there going to be a separate thread for Discovery given that it'll probably pull in an audience beyond the usual folk in this thread?

Edit: I watched Patterns of Force a few weeks back and it does have that awkward stuff about an efficient society. They do a fairly good job of pointing out that it doesn't really work that way in reality but you do have to wonder what that crazy old bastard on the planet was thinking in the first place. I'm guessing that back in the late 60's you didn't have to explain in too much depth why Nazism is pretty loving bad, shame we've forgotten some of that.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 14, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mogomra posted:

Or, you know, on TV. Like every single other CBS show.

Yea, this was the unspoken other part of my post. If it was coming out on CBS, like, actually on TV, that would be exciting.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just saw Wrath of Khan in the theatre last night through Fathom events. Great time. The old Enterprise model is definitely made for the big screen and holds up pretty well mostly. The ships in battle had a kind of weight to them I never really got from the big screen, and stuff like the nebula scene was way more dramatic when it's filling this big space in a pitch black room. Of course there are a few cheapo effect and costumes but it mostly holds up pretty well, largely thanks to the dramatic tension in the direction.

Seeing the old cast in the theatre made me feel like a kid in a different time when those guys were larger than life. Also seeing it with crowd that obviously wasn't as familiar with it laughing at some of the great character moments and going "oh poo poo" when stuff went down was great.

My girlfriend saw it for the first time, laughed her rear end off when Khan showed off his beefy pecs for the first time. She also thought Spock's death scene was boring and an obvious sequel lay-up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still waiting for that goddamn UHD release of TWoK. They tease is with a director approved HDR grade and then make it available to exactly NO ONE.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

J33uk posted:

Make Qo'Nos great again.

"Earth. Trump. 2016."

(Would I really be that surprised if they pulled this, or if the Klingons built a space-wall?)

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Watched Skin Of Evil. Yeah, it's still pretty bad, although I do think Armus could've actually been scary if it wasn't realised so poorly on screen(or was voiced by a less hammy actor). Every time that big immobile blobby thing comes out of the Oil Of Evil it just looks so absurd it eliminates all menace.

Also, the part at Tasha's memorial where she expresses sadness that she'll never see the man Wesley grows up to be, I immediately pictured chubby neckbeard Wheaton and laughed. Sorry, Will.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
She must have recorded that before the events of this episode:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ds9 Rules of Engagement. Peak Sisko being Sisko.

I love Trek trial episodes:
Rules of Engagement
Measure of a Man
The Drumhead
The one with how trials work on Cardassia
Fake girl Satan who wants to sex up Picard
Maybe even Other Q wants to kill himself

Oh crap, I almost forgot The Menagerie.

Beep beep beep.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

CPColin posted:

She must have recorded that before the events of this episode:

Wow, swing and a miss on how older Wil Wheaton actually ended up looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was there ever a story on that guy? Was it some hunk the casting director wanted to bone?