Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

thrawn527 posted:

I just want to make sure you don't forget about Old Ben here, since you didn't mention him, and he's required for CLS.
Yeah, he is the reason i have ~6 weeks left of CLS preparation, as the other guys i need to finish before that (TFP, RG, FBLuke) takes 3 weeks.

thrawn527 posted:

Personally, I'd say Phasma. I wouldn't be surprised if a FO team becomes useful with some new character release around the release of The Last Jedi. Though that could be true for Resistance Pilot, though I've seen a few people saying Resistance Trooper is better for the fifth Resistance member. Phasma build TM, slows down opposing teams, and, as leader, grants additional attacks. She's pretty handy, and is usually my leader for my C team I start GW with.

I haven't been able to make sense of what a resistance team really consists of. zFinn, Poe and RT are the only 3 mentioned every time, some have R2 and Rey, some have Rey and RPilot, some have R2 and Rpilot.

thrawn527 posted:

Resistance is probably your best bet right now, but Jedi seem to be getting some focus lately. Yoda is super handy when facing a team that kills you with debuffs. And a basic Jedi team is pretty easy to farm, especially if you already have a 7* Phoenix squad with Kanan and Ezra.

I must admit i really like the idea of having a team that is great at GW. Failing GW is a big worry of mine so having a get out of jail free card for GW is very tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Resistance Trooper is not optional for Resistance. He, Finn and Poe are in every Resistance comp you'll find. Pilot/Rey/R2 are the interchangeable ones. It depends on the fight. For single target, you want Pilot for the added exposes. For damage (like killing/dazing B2s or turrets quickly), Rey.

In AAT p2, R2 gets benched, for example. In GW, Pilot gets benched.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 14, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Do you have zetas? If not, use GW to work towards some 5* ships. If not I'd say phasma

I am level 77 at the moment so the zeta challenge is right around the corner (about 2 weeks i guess?) but I thought zeta required 4* ships...poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, he is the reason i have ~6 weeks left of CLS preparation, as the other guys i need to finish before that (TFP, RG, FBLuke) takes 3 weeks.

I haven't been able to make sense of what a resistance team really consists of. zFinn, Poe and RT are the only 3 mentioned every time, some have R2 and Rey, some have Rey and RPilot, some have R2 and Rpilot.

I must admit i really like the idea of having a team that is great at GW. Failing GW is a big worry of mine so having a get out of jail free card for GW is very tempting.

GW became easier for me when I stopped trying to have "The Team" that would win, and focused on multiple teams. I remember when I started I would put my best foot forward, A Team right out of the gate. Then when attrition piled up and I started getting into harder battles, my teams were getting worse.

What I do now is I start with my C team. Phasma led and no real synergies, but a team that can hold it's own for the first 3 maybe 4 nodes. Then I bring in my Rebels who can punch way over the weight limit thanks to Wiggs. They can get pretty far. Then when they fail, I bring in my A Team at full strength to do the hardest battles.

I should say this worked pretty well until recently, where the last 2-3 nodes have become loving impossible, filled with G12 CLS and Thrawn as far as the eye can see.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Farming questions:

I now have a full 7* Phoenix Squad (sans Sabine)
In ~3 weeks ill have a full 7* Empire team to use for R2D2 (GMT, TFP, RG, Stormtrooper, Magmatrooper and Palpie) I guess ditch either storm or magma
In ~6 weeks ill have all the dudes required for CLS to 7* (I already have STH at 7*, Leia and Luke at 5*, and this is assuming i'll get R2 to 7*)

1. What should i use my GW currency for, after finishing Magmatrooper?
As i see it the good options are:
-Resistance Pilot for the resistance squad (for GW and HAAT?)
-Captain phasma for a FO squad to complete the mod challenges
-Ship tokens (particularly Resistance X, FO Tie and JC's starfighter)

2. What should i in general be working towards after all this?
Resistance? FO? Jedi's for Yoda?

I don't feel that focusing on TB specific stuff is in the best interest of neither me nor the guild right now and it is better i focus on that once i have good teams for the other types of guild content (?)

Deffo ditch magma, he sucks.

1.) Ship Tokens (Get dem zetas, yo)

2.) Resistance > zFinn

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I hate when you're too slow backing out of a GW fight you're going to lose. I could have beaten my 12 nodes today, but lost my team.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

I hate when you're too slow backing out of a GW fight you're going to lose. I could have beaten my 12 nodes today, but lost my team.

kill the app and it's as good as a retreat.

iphone = double tap the home button and swipe up.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

kill the app and it's as good as a retreat.

iphone = double tap the home button and swipe up.

Yep. I was too slow killing the app.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

GW became easier for me when I stopped trying to have "The Team" that would win, and focused on multiple teams. I remember when I started I would put my best foot forward, A Team right out of the gate. Then when attrition piled up and I started getting into harder battles, my teams were getting worse.

What I do now is I start with my C team. Phasma led and no real synergies, but a team that can hold it's own for the first 3 maybe 4 nodes. Then I bring in my Rebels who can punch way over the weight limit thanks to Wiggs. They can get pretty far. Then when they fail, I bring in my A Team at full strength to do the hardest battles.

I should say this worked pretty well until recently, where the last 2-3 nodes have become loving impossible, filled with G12 CLS and Thrawn as far as the eye can see.

This is mostly a solid plan but I'd recommend taking in the B and C teams for the first two nodes to give everyone some preloaded TM if you go that route.

(What I actually do is run my "oh crap the A team lost after killing 2 enemies on the last node and I need to mop up" team on 1, then 2-8, what I do is run Zader lead, with Palp, TFP, and rotating cast of two in back; I swap people out when they finish a fight at 50% or more TM with relevant cooldowns ready. Then from 9-12, I can swap to my actual best team and even change out pieces to countercomp or bring in a fresh body with full TM for each fight.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is mostly a solid plan but I'd recommend taking in the B and C teams for the first two nodes to give everyone some preloaded TM if you go that route.

Sorry, what do you mean by "taking in the B and C teams for the first two nodes"? Just don't use them until node 3?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Just that the earliest nodes are the easiest. You can get TM for your backup squads without them losing too much protection

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

Sorry, what do you mean by "taking in the B and C teams for the first two nodes"? Just don't use them until node 3?

Use every team that you intend to use over the course of the whole GW on the first few battles before it gets hard. That way when you use them on hard stuff, all of your people will go first.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Use every team that you intend to use over the course of the whole GW on the first few battles before it gets hard. That way when you use them on hard stuff, all of your people will go first.

Oh. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have it go the other way for me, especially with my Rebel squad. If I use them at all before I need to use them, the enemy team gets a turn or 2 before I have a chance to go once.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hockles posted:

I have it go the other way for me, especially with my Rebel squad. If I use them at all before I need to use them, the enemy team gets a turn or 2 before I have a chance to go once.

:confused: shouldn't be possible unless you have utterly the most garbage of garbage mods (like no speed secondaries and not a speed arrow either), and are finishing the easy fights with mostly empty TM, and you're up against opponents that can AoE stunlock you or TM boost themselves into an effective stunlock (a la resistance) for a while.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I have:

full g11 zQGJ Jedi team, arena grade mods

full g11 zCody clones team, very decent mods

g11/g10 Phoenix team

g11/g10 Sith team with DN or Emperor lead

g11/g10 Rebels led by CLS

g10 Nightsisters team

g10 Imperial Troopers team

and a whole bunch of other g10 characters and finishing GW is still a huge chore now that my node 12 is no longer broken and is a full g12 meta team every day. I basically cannot afford to lose a single team because I need ALL of them to beat the final node (CLS, R2, Thrawn, Rex, GK or similar)

Hopefully the Resistance team which I am building next will make it a lot easier

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Mr. Neutron posted:

Hopefully the Resistance team which I am building next will make it a lot easier

I pre-load 3 teams in my GW, but with a zFinn and a resistance that's all gear 8 (except R2, who is G11) I've almost always able to beat every single node of GW with them since the G12 update went live. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the RNG to play the way I want it (and also learning to always target GK with the taunt to apply buff immunity on him) but I only need to bust out my arena team maybe once a week to finish GW.

Resistance is extremely good and don't require a ton of investment compared to other teams. Bonus: they're just as great in territory battles.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Something Maulful goons: We've now reached 2* in the middle territory for phase 4. If you haven't deployed yet, please deploy to the bottom territory.

Also some tips going forward: In all battles there is a special attack available, it's a circular button on the left side of the screen. In ship battles it does good damage and stuns the target ship. In ground battles, it does a big aoe that also removes turn meter. The damage is enough so that if you use it on the first wave, you should pretty much clear everything, so there's no excuse for not throwing whatever dregs you might have into a fight. Also be aware that there are 2 fights in the middle territory and one in the bottom. Also, the special attack is in place of the current character's attack, so save it for Barriss (or whoever), unless you're going to get wiped out anyway.

Finally, please check the in-game chat before assigning anyone to a platoon. We're trying to call out uncompletable platoons (that have one of the new ewoks, or cassian's ship for example). Avoid assigning anyone to these platoons, because there's no benefit to an uncompleted platoon, and your ship might have been needed in a different one.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Phew, managed to get 7* Palpie.

The fight felt a lot harder than the impression i had of it from reading forums/guides. I barely got past stage 5 the first try and had to spend 5 million on mods to get past stage 6.
I finished stage 7 with Hera, Biggs (died almost instantly), Chopper, Zeb all at GL8 and Ezra at GL9. I had a really lucky run i presume as i tried with this exact team several times and wildly different results. Anything from losing 2 of my guys before i got a single move off to killing the 2 RGs and getting Vader before Palpie finished me off.

I guess i should try to get my Phoenix Squad to GL10 in preparation for Thrawn then.

I stacked tenacity out of my ears on all my dudes, 6 tenacity set mods with tenacity primary on the available slots and tenacity secondary on the rets. All my guys have 50-75% tenacity. This seemed to help against getting chain stunned by Palpies lightning attacks.
Mods are still a bit of a mystery to me. I know how to farm them, how set bonii works, what primaries to get, but how do i know which secondaries the individual heroes wants?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 15, 2017

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Ineptitude posted:

Phew, managed to get 7* Palpie.

The fight felt a lot harder than the impression i had of it from reading forums/guides. I barely got past stage 5 the first try and had to spend 5 million on mods to get past stage 6.
I finished stage 7 with Hera, Biggs (died almost instantly), Chopper, Zeb all at GL8 and Ezra at GL9. I had a really lucky run i presume as i tried with this exact team several times and wildly different results. Anything from losing 2 of my guys before i got a single move off to killing the 2 RGs and getting Vader before Palpie finished me off.

I guess i should try to get my Phoenix Squad to GL10 in preparation for Thrawn then.

I stacked tenacity out of my ears on all my dudes, 6 tenacity set mods with tenacity primary on the available slots and tenacity secondary on the rets. All my guys have 50-75% tenacity. This seemed to help against getting chain stunned by Palpies lightning attacks.
Mods are still a bit of a mystery to me. I know how to farm them, how set bonii works, what primaries to get, but how do i know which secondaries the individual heroes wants?

Everyone wants speed secondaries.
Then, attackers want crit chance and offense, tanks want protection%, health and protection numbers.
There's a tool on http://apps.crouchingrancor.com/ that suggests the best sets for each toon. Use the tool, it's really good for moving mods and finding out you actually had a 15+ speed secondary mod on some useless toon.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think having a speed stat in a turn based game might just be folly. Seems like whether or not it grants extra turns means it's either useless or the only stat you want more of over the others, ever, with no middle ground.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Cactus posted:

I think having a speed stat in a turn based game might just be folly. Seems like whether or not it grants extra turns means it's either useless or the only stat you want more of over the others, ever, with no middle ground.

Unfortunately, it's the latter in this game. You want speed on everyone, always.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mister Blueberry posted:

Unfortunately, it's the latter in this game. You want speed on everyone, always.

+30 speed mods in the Arrow position are the bane of my existence.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I wish they'd add a mod crafting store or something

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is the Tarkin event beatable if my Phoenix squad doesn't have a Hera lead? Not sure if I can finish CHS for TB (13-18 days with refreshes per the calculator) and also finish 6* Hera (9-13 days).

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

tadashi posted:

Is the Tarkin event beatable if my Phoenix squad doesn't have a Hera lead? Not sure if I can finish CHS for TB (13-18 days with refreshes per the calculator) and also finish 6* Hera (9-13 days).

Hera lead is the lynchpin of the Phoenix squad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

lol, you loving idiot.

Hey everybody, look at this fuckin' guy!!!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Chilichimp posted:

lol, you loving idiot.

Hey everybody, look at this fuckin' guy!!!

Might as well have asked if the Bird of Prey is unlockable, yet!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Focus on hera

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So what gear level is recommended to seven star the Thrawn event? I'm just about to finish starring my Phoenix squad and right now everyone is at G9.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Canemacar posted:

So what gear level is recommended to seven star the Thrawn event? I'm just about to finish starring my Phoenix squad and right now everyone is at G9.

I need to know this too. Gonna try and not go past G7

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tadashi posted:

Phoenix Squad is literally "Hera and some other dudes", it does not work at all without Hera.

Canemacar posted:

Everyone said Palpie was easy at GL8 but i struggled with it with some at GL9, and everyone says that the Thrawn event is more challenging so i am assuming you want them at minimum GL9 with great mods. Im going to see if i can get some of them to GL10.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ineptitude posted:

Phoenix Squad is literally "Hera and some other dudes", it does not work at all without Hera.

Everyone said Palpie was easy at GL8 but i struggled with it with some at GL9, and everyone says that the Thrawn event is more challenging so i am assuming you want them at minimum GL9 with great mods. Im going to see if i can get some of them to GL10.

Character levels and skills are a big factor too. You're not level 80 yet, right? Running either event without various key omegas is definitely tougher.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

put mods on'em and you'll be fine.

Might as well take'em to GL10, though because you can use'em in territory battles.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

G8 for everyone. All abilities maxed, and level 80 plus ok mods should do it from what I hear.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Character levels and skills are a big factor too. You're not level 80 yet, right? Running either event without various key omegas is definitely tougher.

Omegas are the skills requiring level 80? Yeah lacking those is probably a contributor; some of them look pretty powerful. I am not level 80 no, nor are any of my characters leveled to the max i can have them at at my current level (money problems :) )

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ineptitude posted:

Omegas are the skills requiring level 80? Yeah lacking those is probably a contributor; some of them look pretty powerful. I am not level 80 no, nor are any of my characters leveled to the max i can have them at at my current level (money problems :) )

Yeah. That's a major contributor to your struggles. Grats on getting it done, but remember that most people's difficulty assessments for these events is from a level 80+ perspective. Increasing gear past what others in the thread suggest, can, as you've learned, compensate greatly.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Canemacar posted:

Hera lead is the lynchpin of the Phoenix squad.

Yeah but can it be done with lvl85, say g8 with some mods? She's the one I'm missing and I'd like to finish up Ezra and then move over to CHS.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Zachack posted:

Yeah but can it be done with lvl85, say g8 with some mods? She's the one I'm missing and I'd like to finish up Ezra and then move over to CHS.

Hera is the key. G8 is the minimum if they are all 80 with uniques omega'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zachack posted:

Level 80+ and G8 with Hera is the bare minimum for Thrawn.

If you're ditching her, you'd probably need g 10 or 11 all around.

I mean, think of what you give up by not using Hera:

20% TM after using specials. (Let's call that equivalent to 20 speed)

40% Offense from Ezra.

75% Counter Chance and 25% healing whenever hit by a debuff.

40% of max HP as protection and 15% protection regen on turn

And one of:

15% health regen on turn/15% Protection up when hit or 25% Crit Chance/Crit Damage.

That's massive just look at all that healing.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 16, 2017