Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

Canadian networks should start dubbing American shows with over-the-top Canadian accents and poo poo. That'd be hilarious (probably more hilarious than the average actual-CanCon comedy, given the present state of things).

Give it the whole Kung Pow! Enter the Fist treatment, but the original show is Baywatch or West Wing or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Money talks, and there ain't much of it in CanCon. :v:

Weirdly, Peanuts is now Canadian owned.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fake-degree-toronto-investigation-1.4287347

Toronto man 'angry' after learning his $8,100 master's degree that required no exams or academic work is fake

Marketplace investigation reveals Kings Lake University and others are phoney schools selling fake degrees

Toronto man upset that diploma mill offers him diploma in exchange for money :thunk:

Higher learning guys

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Toronto man upset that diploma mill offers him diploma in exchange for money :thunk:

Higher learning guys

Funny we're on that topic...

quote:

[1]               This is a case about a sophisticated immigration fraud.  Over a dozen people in India obtained Student Visas into Canada through a scheme which provided them with forged documents, which proclaimed that they were graduate students in Engineering at the University of Waterloo (Waterloo), Ontario.  Using these documents they obtained Student Visas and entrance into Canada.

[2]               Mr. Harjinder Singh (Mr. Singh) was one of the people with forged documents.  Mr. Singh testified that he really thought he was going to be a student at the University of Waterloo.  Mr. Singh testified he relied on a consultant in India to do all the paperwork for him, and that he paid that consultant a large sum of money.  Mr. Singh’s evidence is that he was unaware of the fraudulent nature of the scheme and the documents, and that he was deceived as much as the Immigration officials who granted him a Visa and entry to Canada.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Money talks, and there ain't much of it in CanCon. :v:

Weirdly, Peanuts is now Canadian owned.

Bring back Street Cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8rLVThzHQ

and Jonovision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX4hoGdzaQg

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Did anyone post this? The National Post writing staff is attempting to unionize

http://globalnews.ca/news/3739821/hell-freezes-over-national-post-staff-announce-union-drive-at-postmedias-flagship-paper/

quote:

Editorial staff at the National Post, the flagship publication of Canada’s largest newspaper company, announced Wednesday that they are beginning a union drive with CWA Canada. The paper’s beleaguered parent company Postmedia, which has suffered steep revenue declines affecting the entire print media industry, offered buyouts last week, just months after completing a company-wide salary cost reduction of twenty per cent.

“It has been a year of unprecedented events, of things we once thought were beyond the realm of possibility,” said the union drive’s organizers, in a playful nod to the paper’s conservative editorial bent that has often been critical of Canada’s labour movement. “A reality television star is president of the United States. Ontario’s liquor control board is planning to sell marijuana. And the National Post is unionizing.”

The Post is currently Canada’s only major non-unionized newspaper, and staff said in a statement that this, combined with the deteriorating financial condition of its parent company has meant that they have we “borne the brunt of cuts.” (The Post saw 25 staff depart last December, following a round of buyout offers associated with the salary reduction initiative announced in October 2016 and completed earlier this year.)

“We see unionizing as the best way to protect both ourselves and our readers across the country, who suffer every time the newspaper loses a great reporter, photographer, editor or designer to a buyout or a better-paid job with a competitor,” adds the statement.

The earlier round of staff cost cutting proved significant, as Postmedia’s compensation expenses fell to $74.6 million in its third quarter results published on July 7, down from $91.6 million in the same period a year earlier.

Cost reductions also saw Postmedia turn a $13 million profit in the quarter, despite revenue falling 11.1 per cent year over year to $194 million.

According to sources at the paper, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, representatives from CWA Canada and at least one other media union began contacting newsroom staff in the spring, following significant cuts to non-unionized employee benefits at Postmedia, which included including the axing of its employment assistance program and the elimination of maternity and parental leave top-up payments.

Non-unionized employees also saw the closure of their defined benefit pension plan to future accrual as of August 2017, and the end of other capital accumulation plans including a retirement savings plan and a deferred profit-sharing plan.

Informal discussions among staff went on for months following the March benefit trimmings, but picked up pace over the summer until it became clear there might be consensus emerging around what the union organizers acknowledged could be a “hell-freezes-over moment.”

The idea of unionization had long been anathema to many of the Post’s most senior writers and reporters, many of whom took pride in the paper’s non-unionized work environment that was seen to encourage a meritocracy.

However, Post staff with the most tenure were the ones most drastically impacted by the company’s pension plan changes, with one staffer telling Global that “it sort of triggered the impetus to finally raise a middle finger to the 12th floor [where Postmedia’s executive offices are located at the company’s downtown Toronto headquarters].”

In addition to buyouts and benefit reductions, another issue which raised the ire of staff in recent months has been lavish bonuses awarded to Postmedia bosses in spite of the company’s declining financials. Last fall, the company’s top five executives were given a combined $2.3 million in “retention bonuses” tied to the completion of a financial restructuring plan that erased $307 million in debt from its books. Three of those executives have since left.

“Last week, Postmedia management opened yet another buyout offer for the National Post newsroom, which means we’ll be losing even more skilled and experienced colleagues,” said the Post staff union organizers. “But in recent days, they’ve been telling us they’re interested in hearing our concerns and care about making things better, saying they want us to be ‘working together in this fight.’ The company’s actions send a different message.”

CWA Canada, which the staff hope to unionize with, is an independent segment of the Communications Workers of America, and has approximately 6,000 members at 17 locals across Canada, including at Postmedia papers including the Montreal Gazette and the Regina Leader-Post.

Postmedia did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Something funny about journalists writing about other journalists as "sources".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's amazing.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I'm shortening the NP deathwatch to 2 weeks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Basically turn CBC in to a 24/7 Jonathan Torrens network.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Id love to see lord black of crossharbour join a union

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

flakeloaf posted:

Basically turn CBC in to a 24/7 Jonathan Torrens network.

Basically, yep.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/TristinHopper/status/908338506342162432

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If they paid transportation and lodging, I'm sure namaste faggots would go call Niki Ashton a stupid oval office at a campaign event for free.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Right wing NP writers up and FYGM join a union the moment things look bad for them. :laffo:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

If they paid transportation and lodging, I'm sure namaste faggots would go call Niki Ashton a stupid oval office at a campaign event for free.

I can just see the headlines from the Youtube video now;

"Mentally ill Ethnic Han Pharmacist verbally abuses NDP Candidate"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

InfiniteZero posted:

That's just artists being artists and not specifically Canadian.

If you believe that David Cronenberg or Guy Maddin "don't understand how their art works", I'm not sure what to tell you.

I'm talking about most of the content that gets passed as "Canadian" (like TV for instance). 99% is an exaggeration, I admit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MA-Horus posted:

I can just see the headlines from the Youtube video now;

"Mentally ill Ethnic Han Pharmacist verbally abuses NDP Candidate"

"Creepy Jenny Kwan stalker shrine found in basement"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So many shows mentioned that I was an extra in.

And no one mentioned Danger Bay! The only thing that told me that Vancouver existed when I was a kid.

The National Post hasn't seen that right wing last few years, though that might just because the overton window has shifted so much you have to be Sun level of lovely to be noticed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

twistedmentat posted:

And no one mentioned Danger Bay! The only thing that told me that Vancouver existed when I was a kid.

The National Post hasn't seen that right wing last few years, though that might just because the overton window has shifted so much you have to be Sun level of lovely to be noticed.

Hardly. Sun is relatively tame, compared to THE REBEL MEDIA

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Are you kidding?? Conrad Black, Rex Murphy, Kevin Libin, Lawrence Solomon etc all still have regular columns in the NP and they are all bad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/liberal_party/status/908365585125400576

This is heartbreaking. Arnold was a good guy. Friendly, always up to chat with staffers, hang out. I remember meeting him at D'arcy's one time, sharing a pint and just shooting the poo poo. He'll be missed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

twistedmentat posted:

I had a friend who was an extra/audience member for Téléfrançais as a child and he said he is still haunted by memories of a chef chasing down a talking pineapple in french

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh no a liberal hack dies

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Hilarious House of Frightenstein was awesome

And I loved watching Canadian game shows like Definition where the top prize was dinner for two at the Ramada or some poo poo

Anyone remember The Mad Dash? I swear I saw some poor woman nearly break her ankle running on that board to try and win $100.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Tochiazuma posted:

Hilarious House of Frightenstein was awesome

Starring:

Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van
Guy Big
Fishka Rais
Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van
Billy Van

Every now and then a client asks me for something they aren't getting, and I tell them with some resignation that I can go ask the sloth and NOBODY's understood what I meant by that :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

Oh no a liberal hack dies

Predictable; banal. Exactly like most bottom-tier CanCon. 2/10 please try harder next time.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I thought the francophones ITT would have mentioned Passe-Partout by now. The show's motto: drugs are good, kids. (Probably)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Every now and then a client asks me for something they aren't getting, and I tell them with some resignation that I can go ask the sloth and NOBODY's understood what I meant by that :(

That's fantastic, my students would never get that reference or I'd use it as well :(

I kept doing the Oracle 'wave my hand over my face to stop laughing' move with my kids until I realized I had better explain it to them

I'm also betting watching all those episodes with The Professor is part of how I wound up teaching physics...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Tochiazuma posted:

I'm also betting watching all those episodes with The Professor is part of how I wound up teaching physics...

Professor Julius Sumner Miller! A man whose name is impossible to say without shouting it, in that way! Why? Why is it so?

Sadly, nobody who taught physics in school had that kind of zest and I got crushingly bored with it. Figured significantly into my overall failing grade, as it turned out. gently caress you, Sir Charles Wheatstone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Really? Because this was a thing that was posted in this thread a few days ago. http://nationalpost.com/opinion/conrad-black-racism-is-dead-yet-hateful-people-still-accuse-non-racists-of-it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/170913/dq170913a-eng.htm?HPA=1

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/dv-vd/inc-rev/index-eng.cfm

See how you measure up canpol regulars

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
How did we get this far without anyone mentioning "Mr. Dressup" as worthwhile CanCon?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Stabbing Spork posted:

How did we get this far without anyone mentioning "Mr. Dressup" as worthwhile CanCon?

Rust Martialis mentioned it back last page, but the picture was kinda small

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Stabbing Spork posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

drat, this country is poor :smug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

If you are living with a SO in household and combined you make 80k/year you are in the top 20% for Canadian Income lol you loving idiots

Remember this?

Median income of a couple census family is 92,895$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2005 to 2015:

10.8% increase in income
18.86% inflation
14% drop in currency value(year long average, 21% end of year, but the end of 2015 was a temporary dip)
80.4% increase in house prices
26.3% in rent

Totally healthy, and cool, and good, and everything's fine.