Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it at all viable to put an air filter after the turbo? :v:

Technically, isn't that a catalytic converter?

Edit: Ohhhh, on the intake side.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Intercooler ;)

That's less of an air filter, and more of a turbo-chunks-filter.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it at all viable to put an air filter after the turbo? :v:

You could probably put a honeycomb airflow straightening screen behind it, actually. :downs:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MrYenko posted:

That's less of an air filter, and more of a turbo-chunks-filter.

Yea to get to the engine the chunks would have to go straight up, then 90 degrees to a long pipe through another 90ish degrees down to the turbo chunks filter, back straight up then another long pipe and then 90ish degrees into the intake. I should be good in this cheap China turbo explosion experiment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HandlingByJebus posted:

You could probably put a honeycomb airflow straightening screen behind it, actually. :downs:

Will that mess up the turbo fan I put in the intake that chops up the air?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
For someone not very familiar with 4wd failures how does the transfer case let go?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DogonCrook posted:

For someone not very familiar with 4wd failures how does the transfer case let go?

A couple different ways: Running 4WD on tarmac too much can cause the chain to snap, adding lift or bigger tires can overwhelm it and damage it, or failing to install longer drivelines to make up for lifting can drop the transfer case.

Also: Exploding Universal joints.

\/\/\/\/
Edit: drat IT!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also if the rear universal joint lets go at highway speed the transfer case mounts are not going to be happy about trying to hold 20lbs of driveshaft flailing wildly at 2-3k RPM.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah i guess that all goes to poo poo really fast. My buddy dropped his driveshaft on the freeway a year or two ago and luckily he didnt have this or a pole vault happen so i was curious.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Also why isnt a drat driveshaft loop or strap required. Its like 10 bucks i dont get it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As with every other instance of that question, the answer is "multiply that $10 by a 750k production run". That's how much profit the company would have to eat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Enourmo posted:

As with every other instance of that question, the answer is "multiply that $10 by a 750k production run". That's how much profit the company would have to eat.

The likelihood of that failure happening under warranty is also pretty low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just add 20 dollars to the base price of the car.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Shifty Pony posted:

Also if the rear universal joint lets go at highway speed the transfer case mounts are not going to be happy about trying to hold 20lbs of driveshaft flailing wildly at 2-3k RPM.

On that truck I think the only place the transfer case is mounted is to the tailpiece of the transmission.
And I think the rear driveshaft is a two-piece, so it may have been the failure of its support bearing that caused this particular failure.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I get they wouldnt voluntarily do it, its just weird its not a regulation.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

EightBit posted:

The likelihood of that failure happening under warranty is also pretty low.

I'm always reminded of the line from Fight Club:

"Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cojawfee posted:

Problem is 99.9% of the population wouldn't know what a driveshaft loop is so it adds very little marginal value. Spending $20 on a heated cup holder would appeal to a lot more people.

It's like automatic transmissions. If they would toss $50 worth of better parts they would last twice as long. But why bother from their perspective.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

And not add the straps and you get another $20, in profit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DogonCrook posted:

Also why isnt a drat driveshaft loop or strap required. Its like 10 bucks i dont get it.

I haven't touched too many cars that didn't come with one.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cojawfee posted:

Will that mess up the turbo fan I put in the intake that chops up the air?

I don't understand this question even a little bit. :confuoot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HandlingByJebus posted:

I think it’s a reference to a snake oil device that is supposed to improve power and fuel economy because it “chops up the air”.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

It's a fan you mount in the intake which helps to improve the low speed car torque, enhance the air flow.Facilitate the gasoline engine room more fully burning, throttle feel more light more flexible.Still can rise to fuel-efficient role, fuel-efficient rate at 5%-15% above, regardless of vehicles, convenient installation

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Double-Turbine-Charger-Intake/dp/B009681GM8

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It's a fan you mount in the intake which helps to improve the low speed car torque, enhance the air flow.Facilitate the gasoline engine room more fully burning, throttle feel more light more flexible.Still can rise to fuel-efficient role, fuel-efficient rate at 5%-15% above, regardless of vehicles, convenient installation

Commonly bought with fake blow off valve whistles you stick in your exhaust.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That description is hilarious. It's almost poetic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does they make it a biturbo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I haven't touched too many cars that didn't come with one.

Have you dealt with any that were live axle with a one-piece driveshaft? Most vehicles that could use one but don't have one fall into that category. Once you add IRS, it's pretty easy to add just about anything underneath the driveshaft to keep it from falling down since the driveshaft won't be moving up and down as part of normal operation.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If you ever wanted to destroy any remaining faith in humanity you had left, read the verified customer reviews.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Powershift posted:

If you ever wanted to destroy any remaining faith in humanity you had left, read the verified customer reviews.

Holy lol @ people that had it come apart and get ingested in their engine.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Powershift posted:

"Waste of money! Came apart and almost ruined my engine. Being a mechanic I should have known better."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

I enjoy the guy who had hundreds of dollars in repair from this device.

3 stars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i bought this to compliment Air Intake Chrome Open To Cone Air Filter due to
Fact
Spiral Wind flow is so much Better to Laminar Wind flow

The blade makes the air spin internally and its good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Picturing him with his head stuck into the turbo intake, eyes closed and smiling while his hair streams out from his face in a graceful spiral

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad that's not how air works. If the blades were fixed then yes you'd get some vortex.

But this thing being sold does not have fixed blades.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Slap a little electric motor on that "Double Turbine Turbo Charger Air Intake Gas Fuel Saver Fan" and call it a day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQ-ZYmjOu4

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

xzzy posted:

Too bad that's not how air works. If the blades were fixed then yes you'd get some vortex.

But this thing being sold does not have fixed blades.

They sell fixed blade ones too, like vortex booster. I remember the fixed blade vortex devices coming out 20 years ago as a fuel economy improver

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 15, 2017

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i guess that all goes to poo poo really fast. My buddy dropped his driveshaft on the freeway a year or two ago and luckily he didnt have this or a pole vault happen so i was curious.

Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago with an old S10 he had to drive for his job. He was extremely fortunate that it was the rearward joint that let go, and the shaft stayed with the truck rather than go tumbling out into expressway traffic. Given the obvious ignorance/negligence involved, it's a miracle it wasn't worse:

Notice the clear impressions the flailing shaft made on both the muffler and the fuel tank shield:

We ended up having to get a new driveshaft made for it since no junkyard I called kept any on hand because they're all bent from the fork lifts moving the trucks in and around the yard. :downsowned:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Fo3 posted:

They sell fixed blade ones too, like vortex booster. I remember the fixed blade vortex devices coming out 20 years ago as a fuel economy improver

Even if they generate a vortex in the tube behind them, the air will return to a laminar flow very shortly.

Stupid people can't think about the fact that a $20 googaw that could perform as claimed would clearly already be installed by the manufacturer...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xergm posted:

I'm always reminded of the line from Fight Club:

"Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Which is exactly what got Ford in trouble with the Pinto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EightBit posted:

Even if they generate a vortex in the tube behind them, the air will return to a laminar flow very shortly.

Stupid people can't think about the fact that a $20 googaw that could perform as claimed would clearly already be installed by the manufacturer...
Yeah like a tailshaft strap.