Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ijzer posted:

i have not bought a bike yet and i finished the msf course today so i have at least some experience rolling a bike around. i've just never owned a vehicle so i am not familiar with the way buying insurance works.

thanks for the advice, though.

Ah. You could ride it home since you presumably know how now, but still insure it regardless of how you get it home. I'd still say trailer it, but that's just me.

And yeah, figure out what insurance will be like before you get a bike. Most starter bikes are reasonable, but some of them might be way more than you expect depending on regional things, your age, and your record. Dual sports are probably dirt cheap everywhere, but something sporty looking with fairings may be drat near what you'd pay to insure a full on sport bike, regardless of engine size and performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ijzer posted:

how do i get a bike from the current owner to my house? i can't get insurance until i have the bike, right? plus i don't know that i'd trust myself on the street to ride it home. do i have to rent a truck?

The best way is to have a friend who rides ride it home for you. And like others said, make sure to shop around for insurance first. Perhaps make a short list of bikes you would want and see how much different companies would charge you.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ijzer posted:

how do i get a bike from the current owner to my house? i can't get insurance until i have the bike, right? plus i don't know that i'd trust myself on the street to ride it home. do i have to rent a truck?

If you know someone with a minivan/pick-em-up truck, they may be able to help you. I have brought 2 bikes home in my Odyssey.

Where do you live? There may be a friendly goon that will be willing to help you in exchange for a ride on a different bike.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

captainOrbital posted:

If you know someone with a minivan/pick-em-up truck, they may be able to help you. I have brought 2 bikes home in my Odyssey.

Where do you live? There may be a friendly goon that will be willing to help you in exchange for a ride on a different bike.

i live in nashville. if someone wants to help transport it/make sure it's mechanically sound that'd be rad, but otherwise i'll rent a cargo van from uhaul and make the best of it. there's a shop near my house i can have look it over, shouldn't be a big deal i don't think.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

ijzer posted:

i live in nashville. if someone wants to help transport it/make sure it's mechanically sound that'd be rad, but otherwise i'll rent a cargo van from uhaul and make the best of it. there's a shop near my house i can have look it over, shouldn't be a big deal i don't think.

I live in Hopkinsville but I hate Nashville drivers

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

ijzer posted:

I should be pretty free this weekend if you need help. Don't have a truck or anything, though. baxtercannada at gmail

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just finished the msf course yesterday, and even as a returning rider who's been out of riding for half a year it was so worth it. I wish I'd taken this before I started in the first place, it would have saved so many hard lessons.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

spouse posted:

Yowza, thanks for the detailed response :)

Just to be clear, definitely wasn't planning a move to a bigger bike after 2 months and 3000 miles. This was an upgrade I was considering next january. I still think something roomier for long distance would be a good choice because I'd like to feel my legs after 8 hours of riding, but I'll be keeping the 500 regardless, and the FZ1 is definitely off the table.

After getting the "lolno don't upgrade" from everyone, I've been looking into all of these suggestions over the past few days. I ordered better brakes, sent emails to local shops for the front fork spring swap, looked into a replacement rear shock for my weight (it's a late model ninja 250 or 300 oddly enough), and once I get an answer back about the front fork, I'll order the parts.

I know of the FOG airbox mod, I'm gonna get to it eventually, but am swapping brakes, and cleaning and gapping sparkplugs and doing my clutch and brake lines and brake fluid.

When I do the airbox mod, I'll be checking valve clearances, and I know the carbs are clean because they did it when I bought the bike, but I'll work on setting everything up to par when I do that.

I've got no interest in moving to anything that would require more expensive fuel. My favorite thing about this bike is that it costs half as much to commute on it as in my car :D

Really though, I have no delusions that I've somehow mastered my 500 and am outgrowing it after 2 months. I was still going to keep the bike and turn it into one for trackdays even if I did upgrade, and that's probably what I'll do when I move on to the next daily, which is probably further away after listening to your guys recommendations and watching videos on the difference suspension and tuning can make.

Not to dogpile here, especially since you seem to have gotten the message, but I wanted to give you some perspective from someone who literally did what you were talking about. (I also was in NC at the time. Enjoy some of the best roads in America - everywhere else is worse from a quality standpoint.) I started on an old XJ 650, which 10 years ago was the purchase for people that wanted something bigger than a Ninjette but weren't dumb enough to get a modern bike. I rode the poo poo out of that for about six months and then bought an FZ6. I certainly don't regret doing so from a quality of life standpoint - modern FI, brakes, and build quality is so much nicer than having to worry about electrical demons and carbs on an old bike. But I do regret moving up as quickly as I did. It was years later (after a bad crash that luckily only killed the bike) on another bike that I realized how much I missed out on by getting so much power so quickly.

If you're a sane person who can control himself, you probably won't hurt yourself, but what you will do is set back your riding skills. With modern, more powerful bikes you won't really know what it's like to really get a lot out of them unless you're doing something dangerous. That means you'll get lazy on your technicals unless you're serious about practicing, which I wasn't until I totaled a Versys.

The other thing I'll mention as a former VFR owner is that 1) it's an amazing bike that does pretty much everything well except really technical turns like The Snake or Dragon where you feel its weight, 2) unless you're a big highway or track rider, you won't really get to use it to its full potential. In three years and ~5,000 miles of varied use, I can count the number of times I had it in 6th gear on one hand. One time I did a 30 minute commute in 1st just because I wanted to see if I could. This early on, it'll be more trouble than it's worth. A big V4 like that engine brakes like a motherfucker, and until you're good about managing losing traction, it's easy to highside if you roll off too quickly in lower gears.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

^ Thanks for your post. I've definitely reconsidered that in the past few weeks, and am just putting miles on the Ex500 instead of worrying about upgrading. I bought a seat cover for long rides, and I'm shopping for a proper tailbag rather than a backpack strapped down with netting, so those problems are largely solved for now. I'm doing my 12000 mile service myself next week, and depending on how that goes, I'll either do the fork spring swap and cartridge emulator install myself (to spring it for my weight and hopefully make it less wallowy under hard braking) and then i'll do the rear shock later, or pay a local shop to do both.

I bought proper boots (alpinestars SMX6), and I'm searching for proper pants (I have a pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants now, but that's obviously not as protective as I could be), and then i'm 100% outfitted for some good twisty riding.

I mean, the ex500 is still faster at legalish speeds than 95%+ of cars on the road, it's super nimble compared to any car I've ever owned, and after having done 4k miles in these first 3 months, commuting through rain and heat and cold and down highways and over mountains, it feels like a part of me. I still have a ton to learn even though I'm getting better by the day. I still over or underrev sometimes, shift at the wrong time, my throttle control isn't perfect through corners, and my low speed maneuvers still need drilling. My body position in particular is basically I don't know what I'm doing, and I feel like I need to go to a racing school to fix this more than I have already by masturbating to twist of the wrist 2 on youtube.

I think you're right, it would've been a bad idea to buy a fast sports car 3 months, or even a year after I started driving. Similarly, regardless of my age or maturity, neither will replace saddletime and skill, so I'll stick with the ninja for now :)

I still think VFR's are purdy.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I have not ridden one but I don't see the appeal of VFRs, they look very heavy for what they bring to the table

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Razzled posted:

I have not ridden one but I don't see the appeal of VFRs, they look very heavy for what they bring to the table

It's just the first bike that ever caught my fancy, way back when I was 16 (27 now). That's literally it. I've never ridden one, but 100hp, comfy seat, plenty of support for luggage, and decent ergos all sound good to me, even if it is 100lbs heavier than my bike now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Like many, many other bikes they're significantly more than the sum of their parts and looking at specs on paper tells you nothing about them. They're just a really well sorted package in every way.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They are quite heavy though.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Razzled posted:

Super heavy, but the V4 makes up for it at lower speeds/RPM. It's narrower than it looks so it's good for lane splitting. The clip-ons have risers, so you have more direct input without being bent over to an extreme degree. Has a unique sound and aside from a ghastly valve job it's pretty easy to work on. Also the engines are tanks as long as you take care of it - mine had 30k miles when I bought it and it ran better than my newer Versys. I've heard stories of the engines lasting 80k+ miles.

You can do pretty much anything on it comfortably, even slow twisties once you get the hang of its weight.

They also attract old dudes like magnets if that's your thing.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

i'm going to look at a ninja 250 tomorrow. i've read through the wiki and adam glass's guide. it's a lot of stuff so i hope i don't miss something painful. make sure all the controls work, check the fluids, tires, brakes, tank, forks, and make sure it shifts properly. anything else big i need to make sure i hit?

otherwise, wish me luck.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Asking here because it's an absolutely stupid question, but a very real problem for me:

How do you avoid sitting on your nuts while riding?

I'm fine off the start, but then I'm cruising along and stand up on the pegs to go over a bump or something like that and wham the ol' scrote sneaks it's way down and I spend the next 1/2 mile squirming in my seat trying to get them out from under me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Codpiece son.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you sit on your balls I feel bad for you, son.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ijzer posted:

i'm going to look at a ninja 250 tomorrow. i've read through the wiki and adam glass's guide. it's a lot of stuff so i hope i don't miss something painful. make sure all the controls work, check the fluids, tires, brakes, tank, forks, and make sure it shifts properly. anything else big i need to make sure i hit?

otherwise, wish me luck.

It's probably a ridiculous amount for a real bike. From front to back:

1. Anything obviously messed up? Frame look straight?

2. Compress front forks. Any oil seepage?

3. Sit on it. Bars messed up? Lights and display all work?

4. Does the engine start and run smoothly from cold?

5. Does it shift smoothly up and down through the gears?

6. Does it stop?

7. Last but not least, check the oil and make sure it doesn't have any water in it.

Every bike will have some Po nonsense but what you really want to avoid is catastrophic nonsense.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

dumb. posted:

Asking here because it's an absolutely stupid question, but a very real problem for me:

I'm fine off the start, but then I'm cruising along and stand up on the pegs to go over a bump or something like that and wham the ol' scrote sneaks it's way down and I spend the next 1/2 mile squirming in my seat trying to get them out from under me.

Don't wear boxers on the bike

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Nah, you just do a hip thrust motion when you sit and plop them fuckers away from your rear end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dumb. posted:

Get tighter pants and underwear. Seriously.

Riding pants are usually relatively stiff and fit closely, and boxer-briefs are the only kind of underwear any man should be wearing anyway.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tuck yo' dick under your belt to lift the whole mess out of the way (it's long enough, right?). Your balls will then nestle nicely against the cool tank.

Do not rear end anybody while in this position.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get a sex change, all the serious riders do it. Either you're commited to the ride life or you aren't.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Compel your nads to shrink through sheer force of will

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:smug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

Compel your nads to shrink through sheer force of will

Maybe a sports bra would help?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just keeps coming back to this, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqnhGBUKA58
or bust

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

well, i now own a ninja 250. thanks for all y'all's help. i promise to come back in two months with exciting stories about crashing it into something and asking for advice about buying an r6.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

ijzer posted:

well, i now own a ninja 250. thanks for all y'all's help. i promise to come back in two months with exciting stories about crashing it into something and asking for advice about buying an r6.

Congrats! Give me a yell if you want a riding buddy one weekend, my dude

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

ijzer posted:

Please don't hit any Porsches while doing wheelies

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Please don't hit any Porsches while doing wheelies

Hey now he needs to start slower. First you hit a boulder off the side of the road. Only after that can you ascend to Porsche.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Cant remember if this channel has been posted here before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muP8nZ6-tXE

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Boy, am I glad I found this thread. Lots of good info!

Wife and I were on a roadtrip recently and had an idea that sounded pretty good at first: I get a motorcycle license and we can rent a bike for day-trips to the California coast or National parks every now and again for a fun mix of adventure and sightseeing.

After reading the first few posts, I did some reevaluation. I found a few places in Sacramento to take the MSF but I have no experience riding motorcycles and the bike rental places near me only seem to carry 600-1000+cc bikes. The idea of renting a crotch-rocket to get on the highway with my wife sitting behind me without properly building up basic skills now sounds monumentally dumb.

Guess I'll create a new budget to actually buy a bike to putter around with first before risking life and limb! :v:

Couple of questions:
1. We're coming up to the wet season in Sacramento. If this winter is anything like the last one, we'll be getting a lot of rain. That means prices on used bikes may drop but I'm unsure if wet conditions are safe for babby's first foray into two-wheel motoring. Would getting a bike this fall be a good idea, or should I wait until the weather dries up again?

2. Why the 1988-2007 recommended date spread on the Ninja 250? Is it just a matter of price-point sweet spot or did anything major change after 2007?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Where in Sacramento are you? There are quite a few norcal goons around, and I'm in Sacramento myself.

I'd go ninja 300 instead of a 250. You get fuel injection, better gearing, and a whole bunch of other improvements. And I'm not saying that because I happen to have one for sale, either.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The 88-07 is cheaper, more abundant, and anecdotally has better performance than the newgen. If you want something newer/have a better budget, you may as well bump up to a 300 ABS.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cigaw posted:

Boy, am I glad I found this thread. Lots of good info!

Wife and I were on a roadtrip recently and had an idea that sounded pretty good at first: I get a motorcycle license and we can rent a bike for day-trips to the California coast or National parks every now and again for a fun mix of adventure and sightseeing.

After reading the first few posts, I did some reevaluation. I found a few places in Sacramento to take the MSF but I have no experience riding motorcycles and the bike rental places near me only seem to carry 600-1000+cc bikes. The idea of renting a crotch-rocket to get on the highway with my wife sitting behind me without properly building up basic skills now sounds monumentally dumb.

Guess I'll create a new budget to actually buy a bike to putter around with first before risking life and limb! :v:

Couple of questions:
1. We're coming up to the wet season in Sacramento. If this winter is anything like the last one, we'll be getting a lot of rain. That means prices on used bikes may drop but I'm unsure if wet conditions are safe for babby's first foray into two-wheel motoring. Would getting a bike this fall be a good idea, or should I wait until the weather dries up again?

2. Why the 1988-2007 recommended date spread on the Ninja 250? Is it just a matter of price-point sweet spot or did anything major change after 2007?

Definitely get your own bike instead of renting. It's cheaper in the long run, and you get a bike you can get used to and use any time you want. An EX250 can handle 2up just fine, though you will want to throw in a $40 used rear shock from the 2nd gen to help with the extra weight. (cheap upgrades like that are why the first gen EX250 is so awesome)

1) Rain is fine if you have decent tires. No big deal. In your area it doesn't rain often, so there is a lot of oil on the roads when it first rains. Be aware of that. If it rains a lot this winter, that issue will probably wash away. Local riders would know.

2) Because it's a beautiful bike with lots of punch that is reliable to it's core, cheap to buy and maintain, and there are tons of them for sale. They are light, forgiving, and low to the ground, and will teach you more about how to ride than a larger bike will. The gas tank is massive. 300 mile fuel range massive. They sound good, especially above 11,000rpm(!).

It's just a good biek.

Go take your MSF and get some gear first, though.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Where in Sacramento are you? There are quite a few norcal goons around, and I'm in Sacramento myself.

I'd go ninja 300 instead of a 250. You get fuel injection, better gearing, and a whole bunch of other improvements. And I'm not saying that because I happen to have one for sale, either.
While still technically still Sacramento, I'm right at the edge on Carmichael, off of Madison Ave.

Dutymode posted:

The 88-07 is cheaper, more abundant, and anecdotally has better performance than the newgen. If you want something newer/have a better budget, you may as well bump up to a 300 ABS.

Coydog posted:

Definitely get your own bike instead of renting. It's cheaper in the long run, and you get a bike you can get used to and use any time you want. An EX250 can handle 2up just fine, though you will want to throw in a $40 used rear shock from the 2nd gen to help with the extra weight. (cheap upgrades like that are why the first gen EX250 is so awesome)

1) Rain is fine if you have decent tires. No big deal. In your area it doesn't rain often, so there is a lot of oil on the roads when it first rains. Be aware of that. If it rains a lot this winter, that issue will probably wash away. Local riders would know.

2) Because it's a beautiful bike with lots of punch that is reliable to it's core, cheap to buy and maintain, and there are tons of them for sale. They are light, forgiving, and low to the ground, and will teach you more about how to ride than a larger bike will. The gas tank is massive. 300 mile fuel range massive. They sound good, especially above 11,000rpm(!).

It's just a good biek.

Go take your MSF and get some gear first, though.

Thanks for the answers and tips! I'll budget bike+gear (for 2) and determine when I can move forward. Will definitely take the MSF before purchasing bike.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cigaw posted:

While still technically still Sacramento, I'm right at the edge on Carmichael, off of Madison Ave.

Thanks for the answers and tips! I'll budget bike+gear (for 2) and determine when I can move forward. Will definitely take the MSF before purchasing bike.
I didn't realize Carmichael includes any of Madison. Close enough if you ever want to ride together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
1. Take MSF. Bikes are awesome but some people hate good things and maybe you're one of those people.

2. Make your wife take MSF with you. You will both have more fun if you are riding together than if you are riding and she is passengering. Also, that way when if your bike brakes down you can steal hers to ride.