Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those kinds of very specific powers would make me nervous to have as a hero fighting supervillains. Like one finger gets hurt and suddenly you are halfway to being quickless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Radish posted:

Those kinds of very specific powers would make me nervous to have as a hero fighting supervillains. Like one finger gets hurt and suddenly you are halfway to being quickless.

Maybe quirks are like the brain and can compensate. The condition is "all the fingers one hand" rather than "Five fingers at a time."

Once you lose all 10 fingers well you're pretty hosed regardless.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ochako and Shigaraki can never fully touch anyone and that's sad

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Moltrey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2d_P4Y48U

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Ochako would be fine to do that so long as nothing follows it up by giving them upward momentum while she gets distracted. It would definitely make things awkward though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Moltrey posted:

They can never safely give someone a high-five. :smith:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rhonne posted:

They can never safely give someone a high-five. :smith:

Uraraka could if they were inside :v:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Begemot posted:

Uraraka could if they were inside :v:

Unless there's a ceiling fan.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder what a zero-g sandwich feels like?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Uraraka owns and I found her tournament fight with Bakugo to be much more emotionally rewarding that Midoriya vs Todoroki was.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Uraraka's fight with Bakugo was incredibly satisfying, especially since, with Todoroki not really trying, she ended up being his biggest challenge, and it forced him to not take her lightly. Midoriya v Todoroki was only satisfying in the overblown use of power type of way typical of shonen manga. Uraraka v Bakugo was the slightly emotional one where you learn something about some characters you might not have been regarding well up until that point.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Idk I think watching someone take the first step to overcoming years of emotional abuse and start becoming who they want to be without worrying about becoming like their abuser while making connections with their loved ones again, all because someone reached out to them without thinking of the consequences is pretty emotional

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was looking forward to her exam fight but it looks like it's just being treated as a joke between the main events. :/

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How quickly people forget about Rogue, the X-men that kills people by touching them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Also you're probably not in inescapable danger if you get 0G'd even if you're outdoors. Sure, gravity won't pull you down, but you're not frictionless, so air resistance means you won't simply float in a direction indefinitely.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

gah

this was not the thread I clicked

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Uraraka is sure lucky her power also shuts off inertia, and not just gravity!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

YF-23 posted:

Also you're probably not in inescapable danger if you get 0G'd even if you're outdoors. Sure, gravity won't pull you down, but you're not frictionless, so air resistance means you won't simply float in a direction indefinitely.
It's a manga so you're more or less conforming to the rules of the power as the author describes, so if he says it does that, it does that!

If you're going to be technical, uh, the Earth is moving at thirty kilometers a second and you're no longer bound to gravity which probably conforms you to that so you'd probably be splattered instantly or launched into space or some other brutal instant burger kill. I mean no one has ever actually experienced zero gravity, it may not actually be possible in this reality.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It's a manga so you're more or less conforming to the rules of the power as the author describes, so if he says it does that, it does that!

If you're going to be technical, uh, the Earth is moving at thirty kilometers a second and you're no longer bound to gravity which probably conforms you to that so you'd probably be splattered instantly or launched into space or some other brutal instant burger kill. I mean no one has ever actually experienced zero gravity, it may not actually be possible in this reality.

That would only happen if Uraraka's quirk removed all inertia from an object, which it doesn't appear to (given a bit of fictional leeway - I mean, Uraraka slapping Deku to the side when he was falling wouldn't have removed all his downward momentum since he was falling so quickly, but it's not like it'd be any fun if Deku died so let's pretend she managed it). You'd still be moving at the earth's speed once gravity stopped applying to you, as would all the air around you and everything, so I'm guessing all that would happen is you'd appear to float slowly upwards (since you would be moving in a straight line tangential to the Earth and the Earth would no longer be pulling you down with its rotation).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fool_of_sound posted:

Uraraka is sure lucky her power also shuts off inertia, and not just gravity!
You could still "swim" through the air, couldn't you?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

smenj posted:

That would only happen if Uraraka's quirk removed all inertia from an object, which it doesn't appear to (given a bit of fictional leeway - I mean, Uraraka slapping Deku to the side when he was falling wouldn't have removed all his downward momentum since he was falling so quickly, but it's not like it'd be any fun if Deku died so let's pretend she managed it).

Except it also canceled inertia to allow her to do her home run attack on Ishida, otherwise she couldn't have swung an extremely massive pillar of concrete. None of the power make any sort of scientific sense and you shouldn't expect them to.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

You could still "swim" through the air, couldn't you?

Yes and also it's funny so it's probably a thing in universe too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Why did no one tell me this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KEGAubCYs

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The page of Ochako's character bio where rather than explain her Quirk in detail or her character he just draws arrows to like her cheeks or the pads of her finger and writes "Very Ochako" or "Quite Ochako"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Moltrey posted:

The page of Ochako's character bio where rather than explain her Quirk in detail or her character he just draws arrows to like her cheeks or the pads of her finger and writes "Very Ochako" or "Quite Ochako"

This page? Which arguably does both?

It does't go in depth about gravitational pull, but it sums it up as "effectively weightless". It even gives a weight limit to what she can float.

e: Trying to give scientific explanations of superpowers is kind of inherently silly in the first place, so I think this is pretty satisfactory.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 14, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Except it also canceled inertia to allow her to do her home run attack on Ishida, otherwise she couldn't have swung an extremely massive pillar of concrete. None of the power make any sort of scientific sense and you shouldn't expect them to.

Fair point, I guess I was more just debunking the idea that you'll immediately pancake into the Earth or be flung off it gravity suddenly stopped applying to you, since that'd only happen if your inertia was also removed at the same time. Still, despite the fact that these powers obviously won't hold up when properly scrutinised, I do really enjoy how Horikoshi often manages to introduce a touch of science into the manga to add a bit of grounding to things, or weight to certain moments. For example, when it starts raining after All Might manages to change the air pressure with the ridiculous amount of air he displaced with his punch, or when Todoroki causes a massive explosion in the sports festival by heating the supercooled air.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SpacePig posted:

This page? Which arguably does both?

It does't go in depth about gravitational pull, but it sums it up as "effectively weightless". It even gives a weight limit to what she can float.

e: Trying to give scientific explanations of superpowers is kind of inherently silly in the first place, so I think this is pretty satisfactory.
Yeah this

Sorry I just remembered So Ochako

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ochako's real power is Being Ochako.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

smenj posted:

Fair point, I guess I was more just debunking the idea that you'll immediately pancake into the Earth or be flung off it gravity suddenly stopped applying to you, since that'd only happen if your inertia was also removed at the same time.
Dude you're moving at 30 kilometers a second with another object also moving that fast and you imagine you'll gently float away. C'mon. You're no longer rotating or bound to the rotation around the sun.

Also yeah the pretense was her powers don't work that way, because the manga/anime clearly doesn't demonstrate them working that way.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

From toe to tip that's Ochako.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Dude you're moving at 30 kilometers a second with another object also moving that fast and you imagine you'll gently float away. C'mon. You're no longer rotating or bound to the rotation around the sun.

I was being tired and stupid and forgot the scale of space, sorry. I was thinking you were saying the earth moves in a line at 30 km/s, not that that's the earth's rotational speed. Thought you were trying to imply you'd just stop moving and the earth would hit you like a bus, not that it would rapidly rotate away from you, in which case you'd appear to zoom away into the sky like you said.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If Ochako removes gravity from things why don't they just float away at an immense speed due to the speed of the planet orbiting the sun!?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Ochako's actual power seems to not be nullify gravity, but reversing it. Nullified gravity on an interplanar scale, or even a galactic scale would be, uh, painful. You'd likely just create a black hole from the mass you'd be compressed into.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Think of it as less "removing gravity" and more like "subtracting 9.8g↓ from the target's local acceleration vector".

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what do you think would happen if she tried to zero gravity the earth

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

what do you think would happen if she tried to zero gravity the earth

She'd barf

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Welcome to Berf

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
SMASH! has you covered

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gruckles posted:

From toe to tip that's Ochako.

Horikoshi leaves My Hero Academia, gives manga to Ochako. "She's better at Ochako than I am."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the Principal

So hype for next week already.

• Locked thread