Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

If the USSF ran the lower pro league permanently, could it really avoid the question of how it should interact with MLS (which seems to be the main philosophical dispute of this mini-Soccer War)
The super ironic thing about this is that the whole reason why MLS partnered up with the USL was that - at the time - it appeared content to be a D3 lower-tier league, unlike the NASL. Now that the USL has D2 aspirations and a number of its club are complaining about having to travel to play MLS reserve teams in front of 500 people, the relationship between those is - if you'll believe rumors and reporting - souring rather quickly.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If I were Gulati I would try to leverage the USL into accepting any NASL teams that want to jump to the USL (even the Cosmos and Miami) - it's a lower-effort road to the same ending.
Here's the thing: Gulati tried to do that last winter, and USL President Jake Edwards basically responded with "LOL gently caress off" under the assumption that the USL was going to get D2 by itself. Then when it became clear that the NASL was actually going to survive thanks to the sale of the Cosmos, Edwards again responded by threatening the USSF with legal action if they didn't get what they wanted.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone in charge of anything related to US soccer is guaranteed to be an idiot (except Peter Wilt, but NISA will probably fail).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the Revs haven't won a single away game all year long. haha hooooooooly poo poo

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Remaining away games:

Atlanta - Since you're not DC United, this is a L
KC - L
Orlando - They've been terrible pretty much all year and have a middling home record...you guys either win a 1-0 squeaker or they pound you 4-0
Montreal - Wouldn't be surprised if this is a do-or-die game for Montreal's playoff hopes, so good luck

So basically Orlando or bust for you guys.

Feel free to quote this when they beat KC 6-0 because why wouldn't they?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Isn't it fabulous? Even better is that we're not at the bottom of the standings somehow.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The 2017 season in six words: At least we're not the Rapids!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Turdsdown Tom posted:

So, the Timbers last year?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2017/09/05/maximiliano-urruti-happy-fc-dallas-president-dan-hunt-go-go-say-things-say

Just piss off your own players, Dan Hunt. You just go and do that.:allears:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd take $5 million for those two in a heartbeat and twice on Sunday.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What a lying sack of poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Vancouver made that win over RSL way harder than it needed to be, but it really looks like the team is starting to click in its weird inexplicable way. With the game(s) in hand I'm even very carefully starting to think they could win the conference, which would be hilarious for multiple reasons.

The run in is going to be tricky though. COL and MNU at home have "trap game" written all over them, and literally every other game is against a playoff contender, including 2 away Cascadia games. Plus the West is such a knife fight this year that the only certainty is blood. Hopefully Atlanta, Columbus, and the Galaxy (lol) can do the business today.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dallan Invictus posted:

Vancouver made that win over RSL way harder than it needed to be, but it really looks like the team is starting to click in its weird inexplicable way. With the game(s) in hand I'm even very carefully starting to think they could win the conference, which would be hilarious for multiple reasons.

The run in is going to be tricky though. COL and MNU at home have "trap game" written all over them, and literally every other game is against a playoff contender, including 2 away Cascadia games. Plus the West is such a knife fight this year that the only certainty is blood. Hopefully Atlanta, Columbus, and the Galaxy (lol) can do the business today.

Colorado winning in Houston yesterday was a complete loving accident. You'll come out of that game with no less than one point, trust me.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is some bantz
https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/907065107061993472

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't get it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

eh... I think it's a @dog_rates "they're good dogs, bront" reference, but... I was high

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

I don't get it.
This Grant Ruby guy appears to be a very serious person who thinks that the Twitter feed of a sports team should literally have to answer for things the team's players do during a game, in real time.

Duke Silver
Nov 6, 2011

Saxiest Man Alive
At least I was conveniently reminded by my email this afternoon that the Revs are doing the "Force you to renew your season tickets a month before the end of the season" game this year.

The funny thing is that if you only ever watched them at home, you'd think they were a good and fun and competitive team. I think I might take the risk that I won't "have access to my seat location for the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs" this time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Flags Of The World posted:

At least I was conveniently reminded by my email this afternoon that the Revs are doing the "Force you to renew your season tickets a month before the end of the season" game this year.

The funny thing is that if you only ever watched them at home, you'd think they were a good and fun and competitive team. I think I might take the risk that I won't "have access to my seat location for the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs" this time.

The Sounders did that for August 31st. And they jacked up ticket prices by 15%.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Mine only went up a buck, still cheap as hell. Seahawks season tickets in the same spot would be roughly 6x the cost.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

Mine only went up a buck, still cheap as hell. Seahawks season tickets in the same spot would be roughly 6x the cost.

drat, they must've figured out that our seats were underpriced for the view they offered. *shakes fist*

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. Held a season ticket thing today, complete with players answering inane questions about why they love DC (in 2017, of all times). To my knowledge, they refused to answer definitively whether the supporter section was safe standing, as originally promised, but selling tickets at nearly double the price from this year.

Me and the Queen Vic on H Street are gonna get real cozy.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

[strokes beard] Hmmm...Revs season tickets renewing automatically this year...and coincidentally, no talk about a new stadium. Really makes you think.

quote:

That's my policy. Go to home games at Gillette, and don't watch Revs away games. It keeps the illusion alive that the Revs might actually be a halfway decent team.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

this looks a lot like racketeering

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I had Revs season tickets for a year and they cost more than my Milan tickets from the 90s when Serie A was the best league in the world. I like going to games but if this team continues to be garbage and the stadium in a real place never materializes I think I'm done. I'm half expecting the team to be moved to another city in a few years anyway.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'm still rooting for Providence.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NYC3

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I'm still rooting for Providence.

They should move to Hartford before NYC does :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NY3FC

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm surprised, only because I'm super cynical about these sorts of things, but Roman Torres' bullshit red actually got overturned.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Thanatosian posted:

My Sounders tickets in 134 (lower mid-field) went up 28%! Ugh. reply to why they jacked the prices up were "it's market value". Buddy who manages the tickets barely has been able to sell off many games we cant make.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
"Lol, look at the redbulls attendance"

*strolls into RBA, pays $20 for a ticket 10 rows from the pitch*

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

I'm surprised, only because I'm super cynical about these sorts of things, but Roman Torres' bullshit red actually got overturned.

I'm extremely surprised.

Maybe by next year the VAR ref will be able to tell the center ref when they made a bad call like the NHL does.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

whypick1 posted:

I just came in here to post about this. loving floored, I didn't even know that could happen in the MLS. Like, I knew there were rules for it, I just didn't realize it actually, y'know, happened.

Tank44 posted:

My Sounders tickets in 134 (lower mid-field) went up 28%! Ugh. reply to why they jacked the prices up were "it's market value". Buddy who manages the tickets barely has been able to sell off many games we cant make.

Yeah, my thought is that I will do this once, and if they pull it again next season, I'll cancel.

We'll see if that holds, though, or if I'm every bit the loving sucker they think I am.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A Sounder got his red card revoked.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Tank44 posted:

Cancel them. This league is circling the drain and they'll soon run out of gullible ownership groups to milk for expansion $ and will squeeze the fans even more. Why pay more for a markedly worse, watered down product.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Apparently the Atlanta - Orlando game this weekend will set the single game attendance record for MLS.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
D.C. released their ticket plan for Audi Field today. 1,500 spots in the supporter section, and the only way in is through a season ticket.

There's about to be a precipitous drop in supporters next year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

D.C. released their ticket plan for Audi Field today. 1,500 spots in the supporter section, and the only way in is through a season ticket.

There's about to be a precipitous drop in supporters next year.

Tom is right about MLS and it makes me sad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Tom is right about MLS and it makes me sad.

Is it really that sad? It’s not as if the death of MLS would make people stop enjoying the sport. The demand will still be there, we’re just going to eventually end up with a league that isn’t undermining itself at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If Baltimore gets a USL team, I will become a Baltimore supporter.

• Locked thread