Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
How to paint when your hands don't work right

Steady mouths, Funky hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Frobbe posted:

New thread title? Mods?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Been working on my boy here, sorry for the tablet images:

I've been trying really hard to keep the lines clean and shade him properly. I was going to paint the silver bits gold to match the rest of the army, but I decided to keep him closer to how he is depicted everywhere else.

Every model is a new challenge.

This is cool, nice work.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thanks!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

berzerkmonkey posted:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/28505-Adepticon%202009%20Gladiator%20Tournament%20-%20awesome%20Necron%20Monolith.html

Den of Imagination has some cool Red Glow and Rusty Necrons. The OSL is really nice.

If you want to deal with Pintrest

Holy cow, there are tons of cheap paint racks on Ebay now...

Cool, thanks. Mine will end up pretty close to that one on dakka. I'm gonna try to make it look more weathered without being rusty. The OSL is a good idea too. I'm torn between leaving the door and crystal alone or painting them. I also thought about doing away with the big crystal and just using a translucent green d20 in its spot as it has 20 wounds anyway.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Fallen Frontier Riff Berserkers. Used my new airbrush and cracked these out this afternoon/evening.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

dr_ether posted:

Finished Fallen Frontier Riff Berserkers. Used my new airbrush and cracked these out this afternoon/evening.

Rally nice purple you've built up there

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dr_ether posted:

That skintone is loving great, but their pants being almost the exact same color as the bases is kind of a bummer. Excellent quality of painting all around, just wish the base/pants had more contrast.

I like doing weird batch painting groupings. This time around I did a squad of 3 scout bikers and the old Captain Draco model from 3rd ed, who will be serving as a lieutenant.
Fast Attack choices are universally kind of a pain to paint:

This guy was real fun though:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really like the helmet kitbash you do for your Neophytes. They look especially good (and tough as hell) as bikers.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Those Bikes look awesome. The banana clip on the Bolter is badass.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Alright goons, I've lurked this thread for a while now but I could use some outside opinions.

I've painted up a mob of grots but I can't decide on a basing colour for them. These are part one of eleventy-billion old orks I'll get around to painting any day now, but the colour scheme's probably fairly representative of what the rest of the army will look like.

Left to right is VGA Dark Fleshtone, Barbarian Fleshtone, GW Zandri Dust, VGA Khaki (about the same as Zandri Dust but I wanted to try pale rims). All then washed with Agrax gloss and drybrushed with Zandri and Terminatus stone. I'll probably be putting a few tufts of static grass on them once I'm done varnishing just to break things up.

What works best for people? I'm currently leaning 2 or 3, but can't really decide at the moment.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Meeple posted:

Alright goons, I've lurked this thread for a while now but I could use some outside opinions.

I've painted up a mob of grots but I can't decide on a basing colour for them. These are part one of eleventy-billion old orks I'll get around to painting any day now, but the colour scheme's probably fairly representative of what the rest of the army will look like.

Left to right is VGA Dark Fleshtone, Barbarian Fleshtone, GW Zandri Dust, VGA Khaki (about the same as Zandri Dust but I wanted to try pale rims). All then washed with Agrax gloss and drybrushed with Zandri and Terminatus stone. I'll probably be putting a few tufts of static grass on them once I'm done varnishing just to break things up.

What works best for people? I'm currently leaning 2 or 3, but can't really decide at the moment.

Voting 3 for the contrast. I'd do the rims in a dark brown (I'm a fan of Rhinox Hide, but Mournfang works too) as it well make the bases pop nicely.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I actually like #1 the best, but with the darker models, you're probably better off with #2 or #3 to lighten things up a little bit. Also, black bases would be my preference, but Rhinox Hide, like richyp said, would work as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think number 2 is the best base overall by a good margin.

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

Frobbe posted:

How to paint when your hands don't work right

Haha, I'm a member of the Facebook group he posted that to as well!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

dr_ether posted:

I always loved your color scheme on these. How did you paint the olive green pants?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I wish I had the money to drop on an airbrush.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I'm overthinking again so I need same sane colour advice. I'm finishing off the next 5 Chaos Warriors, Nurgle Marked this time. These guys

Trying to decide on a colour for their cloaks.

For the Khorne guys I used Red Capes with Blue accessories (Tassels etc..)
For the Tzeentch guys I used Purple Capes and plumes.
For Nurgle I've used Blue plumes.
All of them have gold details.

I'm thinking Blue for the capes, but maybe purple. Ideally it should be red (to tie into Khorne again) but it wont work with green.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I wish I had the money to drop on an airbrush.

You can get a brush and compressor combo for like $100. Save your birthday money from Grandma.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

I'm overthinking again so I need same sane colour advice. I'm finishing off the next 5 Chaos Warriors, Nurgle Marked this time. These guys

I'm thinking Blue for the capes, but maybe purple. Ideally it should be red (to tie into Khorne again) but it wont work with green.

I think purple and green would look great.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can get a brush and compressor combo for like $100. Save your birthday money from Grandma.

Yeah, and add up how much you're using on spray cans.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have an airbrush and I still buy tamiya grey cans.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I live in Georgia so it's impossible for me to ever spray outside without at least a little fuzzing so I love having my cheap airbrush and compressor.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

You don't have any yellow yet. I mean, if you're doing Nurgle, yellow and green would work.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

richyp posted:

Try Screamer pink with a Nuln shade. The new GW Death Guard scheme uses it to great effect.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Are there a more economical versions of Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade? Or a the easiest way to mix them yourself?

I need some for terrain, and I don't want to have to sell a kidney to afford the washes.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Floppychop posted:

Are there a more economical versions of Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade? Or a the easiest way to mix them yourself?

I need some for terrain, and I don't want to have to sell a kidney to afford the washes.

Liquitex ink and Pledge floor polish is a nice recipe I saw on YouTube once. Do a search there

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

You don't have any yellow yet. I mean, if you're doing Nurgle, yellow and green would work.

The fur on the Nurgle guys cloaks is borderline yellow, it looks more bleached boneish in the pictures here as they were taken in poo poo light :)

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Try Screamer pink with a Nuln shade. The new GW Death Guard scheme uses it to great effect.

Might have to try that, if nothing else it'll work nicely when I get around to good old Slaanesh.

Floppychop posted:

This dude makes a tonne of cheap versions of stuff and does a lot of terrain, here's his recipe for bottles full of Nuln and Agrax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vFcRT2wOh8

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I make my own washes too and it's cheap and easy

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I’ve never actually bought paint online. I see Miniature Market and The War Store both seem to be the place(s) to get VMC, anyone have any horror stories or is there a better site I’m missing?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I usually use TheWarStore for paints and have for 4+ years.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

richyp posted:

Photos from behind would work well to understand what you're doing with the cloaks. A very, very dirtied and browned yellow would be my pick.

Also looking at it, more brown wash around the nurgle in general (the armour plates look too clean IMO), and especially around the gold detailing on all the models might help them pop. Currently it looks a bit flat in those pictures, needs to stand out from the other colours.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I painted some Shaltari cruisers to get back into painting. Badger ghost tints are great, but are incredibly sticky when drying. I think they turned out pretty good, but now that i have photographed them i notice I have missed some little nobbles :/

So many little points to paint on them. I copied Bistromatic's paint scheme for these too, since his stuff always looks great.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Wazzu posted:

Photos from behind would work well to understand what you're doing with the cloaks. A very, very dirtied and browned yellow would be my pick.

Also looking at it, more brown wash around the nurgle in general (the armour plates look too clean IMO), and especially around the gold detailing on all the models might help them pop. Currently it looks a bit flat in those pictures, needs to stand out from the other colours.

The back of them is still primer and none of the other colours would've been visible it' would've just been the green primer and a bit of fur in the pic. The Nurgle guys aren't finished yet, they'll have the wash treatment around the shields and recesses as well as the last stage highlight just like their red and blue brothers did. If I get some time at lunchtime I'll try out pinky-purple and mustard colours on the cloaks, I'm thinking the yellow/mustard might be too close to the fur in colour and proximity though :/

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

_Gumby posted:

I painted some Shaltari cruisers to get back into painting. Badger ghost tints are great, but are incredibly sticky when drying. I think they turned out pretty good, but now that i have photographed them i notice I have missed some little nobbles :/

So many little points to paint on them. I copied Bistromatic's paint scheme for these too, since his stuff always looks great.

:blush: Those turned out nicely. I'm still waiting on replacements for some miscast parts before starting on mine so it's great to see the scheme applied. And yeah i'm kinda dreading painting literally thousands of dots.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Finally making some progress on my first models I've painted basically, a Cult of the Rusted Claw GSC force which will be heavily mining/construction themed. I'm going a bit brighter than GW does because I'm looking for more of a safety orange, and I certainly wish I had been more patient and primed these guys grey after working with both Vallejo and GW oranges over black, but I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along so far with this magus. Looking forward to finishing base coating the last few details and doing some cleanup this weekend and finally giving him a wash.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Finished the 3 groups of Chaos Warriors so I can now move on to a different looking model :)

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Nurgle

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Khorne

5 Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Tzeentch

Representatives of the Chaos Skittles Warband:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

richyp posted:

[Amazing Hams]

This poo poo is excellent. I might've missed it in the thread, have you said what your blue is for the Tzeentch guys?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shadin posted:

This poo poo is excellent. I might've missed it in the thread, have you said what your blue is for the Tzeentch guys?

Thanks.

The blue is mainly Thousand Sons Blue, I think it's a recent addition to the Citadel line, but it's a really nice vibrant blue and it covers nicely too. Highlights are Temple Guard, Temple Guard + Baharroth, and then pure Baharroth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Your Chaos mans are loving tight, richyp.