Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Autism Sneaks posted:

By X-Standards, Bobby Drake is probably the luckiest mutant alive, and that's including Domino :downsrim:

Your past self arrives in the present! What do they see?

Beast: no matter what, you are Hank McCoy, and therefore the worst.
Cyclops: you're a mutant "terrorist" who everyone hates for some reason. Feel bad and hate yourself, kid. Also Emma Frost is going to creep on you hard.
Jean Grey: good news, you're on a pedestal. Bad news, you're dead, and here's a cosmic Sword of Damocles for you.
Angel: we're not even going to tell you, it's so awful.
Iceman: here's a chance to come to terms with yourself and become a happier person.

Checks out.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zoro posted:

What's everyone's feelings on X-men blue? I've been reading it and I've enjoyed it so far, but I decided to check around the general buzz for the series and it seemed a bit negative. Now, I kind of disregarded some of it since some people seem to be pretty sour grapes about Jean Grey being team leader (they keep asking why Cyclops is not leader: guess they forgot he's afraid of repeating the past and becoming future cyclops) and those complaints read to me as bad faith arguments, if you know what I mean.

So, yeah, what does everyone think of the series?

I think angel needs a little bit more screen time. I also like Hank turning wizard since it justifies him while normal Hank is still around. Bobby is a little bit one-dimensional though. They try to have a little depth with him over his boyfriend never calling, but they're not giving enough time to really make that hit the audience. I would be interested in seeing more with him. And Jim needs a lot more screen time because currently he hasn't had a lot of chance to really develop and let the audience know who he is.

Overall, I think it's a good start to a series and I hope it gets better as time goes on.

I quite liked it when it first started out. It was probably the book I was most surprised by coming out of ResurreXion, largely because I'm just about tired of Bunn's take on X-men at this point. It's just that the Secret Empire crossover was such a slam into a brick wall that I haven't actually bothered to open up the issues that have come out since.

Scott and Jean are great, I love Hank making the same mistakes but in different ways. And I agree, Bunn hasn't done much with Iceman and nobody's really done much with Angel, ever. He feels the most extraneous of the O5 by far.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rochallor posted:

I quite liked it when it first started out. It was probably the book I was most surprised by coming out of ResurreXion, largely because I'm just about tired of Bunn's take on X-men at this point. It's just that the Secret Empire crossover was such a slam into a brick wall that I haven't actually bothered to open up the issues that have come out since.

Scott and Jean are great, I love Hank making the same mistakes but in different ways. And I agree, Bunn hasn't done much with Iceman and nobody's really done much with Angel, ever. He feels the most extraneous of the O5 by far.

I'd say to give the next issue a shot. It's a return to the norm. There is some lingering stuff from Secret Empire, but I can spoil that for you, if you want. It looks like it's going to be an interesting an issue 11 and I'm interested in how they explore Hank's Magic here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love Hank. He was my favorite on the cartoon as a kid, he was often the only touch of groundedness in the sometimes operatic over-wroughtness of the 90s series, and when Morrison first dabbled with writing him as gay it was revelatory to me as a confused teen idiot even if it never really led anywhere. And yeah, S.W.O.R.D. was wonderful and charming and he's very good in some very good and some very not good 70s and 80s Avengers.

I think he was stuck in an unfortunate place post-Morrison because he no longer had the legacy virus to busy himself with and as with so many Morrison concepts writers felt obliged to gesture vaguely at him falling from grace without ever getting there. So they just made him an ineffectual mope perpetually working towards nothing, except now increasingly moody and broody instead of just increasingly moody. I was disappointed that Bendis seemed to have so little to say about him considering his kind of campy, Borscht-belt persona from his Avengers days seems right in line with the kind of showy fun-guy voice Bendis seems comfortable writing.

I feel like part of the point of bringing the young five into the present was to do some damage control on characters who had strayed far from what made them popular to begin with, or whose popularity took them down avenues that wound up being too twisty and baroque to be sustainable. I wish we could have gotten a Beast who could conceivably hang out with Wonder Man and roam around campus bothering Northrop Frye in the sensational guest appearance of 1981 or whenever. All things considered though the path Bunn is taking him on is probably not the worst idea-- I hope he ends up with some grace notes though, I'm sort of done with one of my favorite characters being the James Buchanan of mutantdom (my other favorite is Nightcrawler so who knows, I guess I chose poorly).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zoro posted:

I'd say to give the next issue a shot. It's a return to the norm. There is some lingering stuff from Secret Empire, but I can spoil that for you, if you want. It looks like it's going to be an interesting an issue 11 and I'm interested in how they explore Hank's Magic here.

Thanks. I've got the issues, they've just become low priority for me; I will get around to them. Especially with a Mojo story looming.

Archyduke posted:

I love Hank. He was my favorite on the cartoon as a kid, he was often the only touch of groundedness in the sometimes operatic over-wroughtness of the 90s series, and when Morrison first dabbled with writing him as gay it was revelatory to me as a confused teen idiot even if it never really led anywhere...I'm sort of done with one of my favorite characters being the James Buchanan of mutantdom (my other favorite is Nightcrawler so who knows, I guess I chose poorly).

Are we talking Buchanan in the sense of 'literally the worst' or, since you mentioned it, in the sense of 'possibly secretly gay?' Or both, I suppose?

Hank is one of the characters who comes across best in the cartoon, even though he's written quite differently than his comics persona. There's a little bit of the 'ooh, he quotes Twain, he must be smart' stuff, but he comes across as a guy who's so comfortable in his own skin. He's one of the best parts of The Last Stand, too.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Onmi posted:

Question I've asked but never gotten an answer to. Did anything ever come of Jean reaching into Warren's brain and twisting it like a puppet so they would stay and he wouldn't freak out?

Kitty, who was the biggest champion of the O5 staying in the present, told Jean that if she ever did something like that again she'd personally ensure they were sent back to the past. So Jean never did it again.

It also made Warren leave the O5 and JGS and side with the Scott-Emma faction of the X-Men, although that was of limited consequence since Kitty and the rest of the O5 also joined them not long after because of what the JGS characters did during Battle of the Atom.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I wish the O5 could just go back to their own time. And then we continue to follow their story, having seen firsthand what the future is like but with the knowledge that nothing they do will change that future for comic-science reasons leaving them free to become different people and also manage to turn Classic Cackling Maniac Magneto into Modern Attitude Magneto more quickly. And the main X-Books could deal with a world without Cyclops and Jean, and also Beast dies. Adult Bobby gets to live on his own terms, adult Angel gets to continue his tortured existence I guess. I'm never 100% sure what his deal is anymore.
Except Marvel already shot that idea in the balls, and they hate "not important main timeline" series anyway because they don't tend to sell. Ah well. I'm willing to continue on with Blue and see if it gets its poo poo back together after SE.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Diet Poison posted:

I wish the O5 could just go back to their own time. And then we continue to follow their story, having seen firsthand what the future is like but with the knowledge that nothing they do will change that future for comic-science reasons leaving them free to become different people and also manage to turn Classic Cackling Maniac Magneto into Modern Attitude Magneto more quickly. And the main X-Books could deal with a world without Cyclops and Jean, and also Beast dies. Adult Bobby gets to live on his own terms, adult Angel gets to continue his tortured existence I guess. I'm never 100% sure what his deal is anymore.
Except Marvel already shot that idea in the balls, and they hate "not important main timeline" series anyway because they don't tend to sell. Ah well. I'm willing to continue on with Blue and see if it gets its poo poo back together after SE.

Sounds like a good What-If, if Marvel ever gets around to putting out any more of those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

Sounds like a good What-If, if Marvel ever gets around to putting out any more of those.

Don't we usually get a couple of those for each event? Although in retrospect, I don't think there's been any that have come out post-Secret Wars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-Men Blue is probably my favorite team book that Marvel is doing now that Ultimates is done. The Secret Empire issues were a bit rocky but I love the team they have set up and the time displaced X-Men have turned into some of my favorite characters in Marvel books right now. Which is weird considering I never cared for the older incarnations that much at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Original X-Men are here to stay. They've already established they can't go back because they're already there.

And that's fine with me. I've enjoyed Blue a lot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm honestly expecting that the O5 eventually get aged up and have their memories merged with their modern equivalents to get a soft reboot for modern Cyke, Jean, and Angel without the baggage. Still issue whether or not Beast and Bobby will be included, but I'd wager a shiny dime each on the other three.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They've definitely overstayed their welcome as travelers out of time for me. Bringing in a fresh perspective that's grounded in the team's history to contrast against Cyclops while he was playing Magneto was an interesting story, but now it's just another convoluted addition to the X-Men line, especially since the adult versions of three of them are still alive. It's interesting that X-Men seem to have more leeway than most other superheroes to have major changes that stick, but even as someone who's read a lot of X-Men comics over the years, I feel like the line can be impenetrable at times as a result. Out of the major characters from the first movie, Storm and Rogue are the only X-Men who are actually alive at this point, and I can't help feeling like the line could use some kind of reset. Obviously the fact that they exist in a broader Marvel universe that isn't in as much need of a reboot complicates things, but Spider-Man got a significant reset (for good or for ill) without dramatically affecting the rest of the company, and maybe the X-Men could too, whether it's character specific by merging the O5 with their adult counterparts somehow (assuming Cyclops and Jean come back at some point), or by merging their timelines altogether.

Cabbit posted:

I'm honestly expecting that the O5 eventually get aged up and have their memories merged with their modern equivalents to get a soft reboot for modern Cyke, Jean, and Angel without the baggage. Still issue whether or not Beast and Bobby will be included, but I'd wager a shiny dime each on the other three.

Beaten while I wandered off in the middle of writing too many words about comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

X-Men Blue is probably my favorite team book that Marvel is doing now that Ultimates is done. The Secret Empire issues were a bit rocky but I love the team they have set up and the time displaced X-Men have turned into some of my favorite characters in Marvel books right now. Which is weird considering I never cared for the older incarnations that much at all.

If nothing else (and it's close to that) I liked that they used the tie-in to check in on the mutants we haven't seen for a bit.

Edit: That and Emma's new costume which I like.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Cabbit posted:

They probably would have done this already if Superman and Lois Lane hadn't beaten them to the exact same punch. I think it's more likely they kill a mix of the younger and older versions off.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Also when in the gently caress are we gonna find out that the Madrox dupe(s?) living on their own is/are still alive and somehow got the power to duplicate when the Prime Madrox died, or that Prime Madrox wasn't actually on Muir Island when the Big Dumb Idiot Thing happened that ostensibly killed off my favourite character that isn't cloned from Wolverine or a living totem of stone and awesomeness.
tldr BRING BACK JAMIE, YOU MOOKS. It'd be the easiest thing on the planet to handwave away!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay so I read the Wolverine Generations book, and that was a perfect Wolverine story. Totally didn't tear up at the very end, nope nope nope, not at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Also when in the gently caress are we gonna find out that the Madrox dupe(s?) living on their own is/are still alive and somehow got the power to duplicate when the Prime Madrox died, or that Prime Madrox wasn't actually on Muir Island when the Big Dumb Idiot Thing happened that ostensibly killed off my favourite character that isn't cloned from Wolverine or a living totem of stone and awesomeness.
tldr BRING BACK JAMIE, YOU MOOKS. It'd be the easiest thing on the planet to handwave away!

When did they kill Jamie Madrox?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Until Cyclops went down too, he was the Death in 'Death of X.'

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

Okay so I read the Wolverine Generations book, and that was a perfect Wolverine story. Totally didn't tear up at the very end, nope nope nope, not at all.

I know right? Best Generations one so far. I did literally just finish the Hawkeyes one, which was pretty good too, but not on the same level. Only a weiner would tear up though. I mean, there was a lot of dust in those pages and that dust got into my eyes, and tearing up is a totally acceptable reaction to dusty eyes. Similarly, when I just rewatched Logan, during the end when she calls him "daddy" as he dies, some tear gas from a nearby riot came through my balcony screen door and affected me for several minutes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

Peter David will take care of this sometime in the future. No worries. He went off to live happily with Layla, remember? And she wasn't there, so the real Jamie is still enjoying life in Iowa with his cool wife.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That wasn't even the first time the "real" Jamie died.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
The Jean Grey single comic has been pretty fun so far. I like the progression she's going through: from carefree to "oh gently caress phoneix" to "what was like? OH poo poo!" to "you got to have better advice? Fight it? Okay!" to listening to Thor's drunken stories to mastering psyhic weapons to learning to accept "our" Jean Grey and herself are the same person to now seeing the ghost of her own deadself as a spiritual guide. It feels like it's building to a big climax for her. Presumably, defeating the Phoneix and finally be free from its control.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cabbit posted:

I've wanted to see an Age of Apocalypse-style story where they examined what would happen if the O5 never came back. Like, what they almost hinted at that one point in Battle of the Atom where young Scott nealry died and old Scott briefly faded out like Marty McFly till his younger self was resuscitated. Considering exactly when they were plucked out of the timestream, (like, two issues before this story, which would have had pretty major consequences outside of the big three alternate histories of DoFP/AoA/HoM.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Diet Poison posted:

I know right? Best Generations one so far. I did literally just finish the Hawkeyes one, which was pretty good too, but not on the same level. Only a weiner would tear up though. I mean, there was a lot of dust in those pages and that dust got into my eyes, and tearing up is a totally acceptable reaction to dusty eyes. Similarly, when I just rewatched Logan, during the end when she calls him "daddy" as he dies, some tear gas from a nearby riot came through my balcony screen door and affected me for several minutes.

I've only also bought the Hawkeye one. I think i'll track down the Thor one and get the Ms Marvel one once it comes out. I was wary of the whole thing from the start, as I saw it as having an "event" so quickly after Secret Empire, but just from its unfair to suggest that it's anything like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're just one shots between the panels of one page of SE#10.

The Thor issue fits in here because it has Apocalypse and the Phoenix. It was pretty drat cool.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Thorneration's art sucked something awful, and the writing was rushed and incoherent. It did not do Apocalypse or this anemic event any justice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Thor one actually owned

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even though it was tough to read I'm really glad the writer decided to write Bobby's scene with his parents the way it was written. After everything they'd been through in the comics it really would have rung false if they had just been ok or even just ambivalent to him telling them that. It was tough to read but it was the right way to do it. And the ending bit doesn't change any of those feelings even though it does make the reader feel a bit better. I think it was handled really well. I think you can tell Sina Grace did his best to handle it with care. I'm really digging the character work in this book.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
That was a really strong end to the arc. It sagged a bit in issues 2 and 3, but 4 and 5 were great.

Responding to BrianWilly in the main Marvel thread about Bobby being a bit sad so far: Champions team-up starts next issue! OhpleasegodmakeHercaloveinterest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah that does sound pretty great. According to Sina Grace it's going to spring from Black Widow's death in Secret Empire though, which is still kinda bummerful :sweatdrop:. Still looking forward to it though.

Meanwhile...this is happening: Phoenix Resurrection: The Return Of Jean Grey By Matthew Rosenberg And Leinil Francis Yu For December

I'd say this was right the heck up my alley, but what I've read from Rosenberg has left me pretty unimpressed sooooo...we'll see! Hopefully this will spring out logically from the events of the current Jean series from Hopeless 'cuz that's been enjoyable as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah that does sound pretty great. According to Sina Grace it's going to spring from Black Widow's death in Secret Empire though, which is still kinda bummerful :sweatdrop:. Still looking forward to it though.

Meanwhile...this is happening: Phoenix Resurrection: The Return Of Jean Grey By Matthew Rosenberg And Leinil Francis Yu For December

I'd say this was right the heck up my alley, but what I've read from Rosenberg has left me pretty unimpressed sooooo...we'll see! Hopefully this will spring out logically from the events of the current Jean series from Hopeless 'cuz that's been enjoyable as well.

I'm assuming this has to be a fakeout because I genuinely can't imagine what impetus there is to bring back Jean Grey right now beyond "we can"

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm gonna need a sticker on the cover that guarantees no clones, alternate universe doppelgangers, psychic duplicates, magical manifestations, time-displaced incarnations, or some combination thereof

Besides the one we already have that is both B. and E. iirc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm assuming this has to be a fakeout because I genuinely can't imagine what impetus there is to bring back Jean Grey right now beyond "we can"

It's in 3 months.

In 3 months of comic time the universe can be destroyed twice and reality rewritten.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

It's in 3 months.

In 3 months of comic time the universe can be destroyed twice and reality rewritten.

Not with Hickman writing and Ribic drawing :downsrim:

to be fair though I can't think of a reality-warping event that took less than four months to wrap up at the earliest

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

If they want to use Legacy to get back to something closer to the classic conception of characters, a soft reboot for the X-Men line that uses the avatar of rebirth to bring back major characters like Cyclops and maybe Wolverine (though his healing factor could always just kick in anyway) would seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinteres posted:

If they want to use Legacy to get back to something closer to the classic conception of characters, a soft reboot for the X-Men line that uses the avatar of rebirth to bring back major characters like Cyclops and maybe Wolverine (though his healing factor could always just kick in anyway) would seem like a pretty reasonable way to do it.

No thanks. I'm very happy with the Cyclops and Wolverine we have now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

the Wolverine we have now.

Speaking of, wow Wolverine was so, so good this week. Taylor did an amazing job with the Guardians, and Jonathan can speak now! :aaa:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Firstborn posted:

I read some Gold today, and really wish Gambit was in more things. Is he any good in Astonishing? Any other recent appearances? Last thing I read about him was like the 2012 solo series.

Fake edit: Actually last thing I read was Deadpool v Gambit

He had some pretty good moments in Peter David's short lived All New X-Factor.