Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
A few more Tweety Bro WRX drive comments -

Still rattly and no fun in traffic. Reaaaaally long legged - 2500rpm at 110kph. Had to look that one up and looks like the gearbox is a 3.54 rear ration (1:1.1 drop ration for 3.9 ration front diff) which explains that. Got brave enough to give it a full bore launch and acceleration - fuel cut @16psi, prefers to sit on 14psi so that tells me someone tuned it right, that's about the limits of a TD04. Also is it just me or does every middle aged idiot in a SUV get short dicked syndrome when this WRX drives past? I'm not really used to a lairy car but there does seem to be something that makes shorted dicked idiots try to "prove" themselves for.... I dunno, reasons? I'm not here to impress your fat wife mate, I'm only wanting to drive to where I want to go. I'm not interested in racing your jacked up turd of a car and I sure as gently caress dont want to you trying to stop me from getting around the L-Pate driver.

Yeesh

Oh and it's a PITA literally to drive. My back was not enjoying it at all.

On the other hand.....

It is planted in corners and it does go like a good WRX should. Actually I find it more stable at speed than the MY06 - it's going to be hysterical fun on a race track and taking a swing through some of the back roads was fuuuuuun.

MY WING IS BIGGEST WING

NO MY WING IS BIGGEST WING

Suspension goes up suspension goes down

SHINEY EXTRACTORS

Magic or a robot about to kill us all

Lightforce Rally SA next weekend, car 11, already up to ninth on the road with some schedule changes. On the road on Tuesday night. South Aussie gooooons we'll be at Mt Crawford, come and say hi next weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
After 08 they got rid of the TD04, it's something bigger, a vf52 I think. Basically sti-sized turbo with the top outlet compressor housing. A td04 on a 2.5 will only do like 8psi up top.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Can I just say sunroofs that fail are hte biggest PITA to try to shut when the manual override is not working properly either? 3 HOURS to get to this point. FUUUUUUUCK

poo poo wheel nuts off and WReckX wheels off.

Thanks to that fuckin sunroof on the yellw car, that's all I had time to do. Annoyed to say the least. Least I got some of the place tidied up and a lot of spare panels in storage

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sunroofs are the devils work and they must be expunged.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sunroofs are the devils work and they must be expunged.

I have one and it's only used for one purpose and one purpose only:

Vent in the summer.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apart from letting hot air out after parking in the sun, I only ever use mine for about 2 weeks of the year, only after sunset when it's cool enough to not need the aircon but warm enough to have it open. Also only below 80km/h.

Considering the way they invariably break or rust, gently caress anyone who options one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

After avoiding sunroofs at all costs for yeaaaaars I now have three cars with them. The WRX ones frankly are turds and I dont get why you would want one in them.

The Liberty's sunroof on the other hand? Hands down amazing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Still unreasonable jealous of your daily. We're having another offspring, so both I both need and can't afford a bigger car heh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

After avoiding sunroofs at all costs for yeaaaaars I now have three cars with them. The WRX ones frankly are turds and I dont get why you would want one in them.

The Liberty's sunroof on the other hand? Hands down amazing.

Is it the glass one that goes into the backseat? They've had that since the 90s and when I first saw it I thought it was pretty radical.

I meant to ask, what is the picture of the crashed BMW on the last page?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ohrmazd posted:

Is it the glass one that goes into the backseat? They've had that since the 90s and when I first saw it I thought it was pretty radical.

I meant to ask, what is the picture of the crashed BMW on the last page?

Front section lifts up, rear section retracts so yeah, the moonroof or whatever Subaru call it.

I *think* it's was a Mazda 3 and from what I heard the driver was a biiiiiit drunk and she put it under the back of a parked truck, after which said car caught fire. Happened just a bit up the road from where I live

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Front section lifts up, rear section retracts so yeah, the moonroof or whatever Subaru call it.

I *think* it's was a Mazda 3 and from what I heard the driver was a biiiiiit drunk and she put it under the back of a parked truck, after which said car caught fire. Happened just a bit up the road from where I live

I'm with you on not caring about sunroofs, but I do want to ride in one of the Subarus that has a moon-roof to a back seat. I bet that's really nice with kids.

Oh yeah it is a Mazda. They look a bit different all smashed up, eh.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm a fan of sunroofs, I like the extra light they bring in. I use mine all the time, though usually just popped up and not actually fully open.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

I'm a fan of sunroofs, I like the extra light they bring in. I use mine all the time, though usually just popped up and not actually fully open.

Just get a convertible. Sun roofs are like taking a shower in a raincoat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
What about a sunroof with a wind deflector? Because its awesome during summer for letting that lil bit of heat out when you first start up and drive, but don't want to deal with wind noise.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I kinda like popping mine on a warm summer evening, but the problem is I live in the outer suburbs of Perth now, and about 90% of my driving happens on the freeway, and at 100km/h it's really uncomfortable.

Back when I lived in the inner suburbs it was really nice, though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I had a sunroof in my mini and I did open it a lot. On the other hand, that was cause the wind deflector rattled a lot while it was closed :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
A mate had a Prelude with a wind deflector when we were in high school. Cut down on the air noise so well you could hear how hosed the bushings were in the back every time you went round a corner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Liberty's wind deflector (Front section of the moon roof) does a great job of reducing buffeting and wind noise at about 120kph - realyl wouldnt want to be faster than that witht he roof open. I personally enjoy popping the deflector open on long drives as it clears the cabin really well and you dont feel as tired due to stale air.

Don Dongington posted:

Still unreasonable jealous of your daily. We're having another offspring, so both I both need and can't afford a bigger car heh.

There's so much on the Liberty that if it wasnt done as well as it was I would hate. Auto? Hate them, Liberty is great. Sunroof? Hate them, Liberty is something else. Cushy heavy leather interior? Yeah well it's nice to sit in. Smallish NA 6 cyl? Hate them usually, this one is gorgeous and so smooth

Handles and rides so well too.

Still...... the car I tend to drive most of the time is the Forester. I dunno, it's tough as gently caress, it's hilarious slow fun and it is just a workhorse. I leave the Liberty for weekends and long trips. Is it weird I have a line of better cars and yet I pick the Forester out as the daily?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I kinda want one of those too.

My mate has a 2nd gen though and it's putting me off. He's treated it fairly well and it's just fallen apart around him.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I don't know what it is about Foresters but I really, really miss having one. I'm 90% sure I'll buy another NA one instead of a turbo for the TDI when I sell my wrecked XT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

I kinda want one of those too.

My mate has a 2nd gen though and it's putting me off. He's treated it fairly well and it's just fallen apart around him.

TBH mine being a Gen 1 is rather old and doen a shitload of kms so it is showing the signs of getting towards the end of it's usual service life. Buuuut...... a lot of the spares I have are to go on it in the future. Once I get doen witht he WRX rebuilds, it's next

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Just get a convertible. Sun roofs are like taking a shower in a raincoat.

I've got a miata for the nice weather an an e46 with a sunroof for when it isn't. I live where there's winter :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The first-gen Forester (SF) is my favorite looking but if I were to get another one for regular use I think I'd get a late model, 2007-2008 or so to get all the amenities and side airbags, etc.

My other favorite utility wagon are the old RWD Volvos. I miss my 740. But they're getting quite uncommon. Fortunately here in Seattle there are still a ton of Foresters.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't like old 80s holdens at all CT, VKs suck outright, VLs? You may has well bought the authentic nissan*
I like mazdas, fords and don't mind scoobies.

Also I like my bmw e34 sun/moon roof, perhaps you should have bought one of them and added a turbo? *Just kidding around mainly, but the e34 was the first car I owned with one and it's awesome. 27 yrs old and it works just fine. I just open it up on a spring day when driving around at 50-60km/hr.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 12, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hello South Australia. Presently in the Barossa Valley.

Blech. That drive suuuuucked

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey there's someone here who has a pile of Subarus who is looking in disbelief at my descriptions of my collection

Shoot me before I go do something dumb and buy something out of his collection. Wait too late, already negotiating.

gently caress

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You have a weird problem.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey there's someone here who has a pile of Subarus who is looking in disbelief at my descriptions of my collection

Shoot me before I go do something dumb and buy something out of his collection. Wait too late, already negotiating.

gently caress

threadtitle.txt

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

threadtitle.txt

This one will not disappoint..... which is why I'm like Oh man I GOTTA get me one of those. Looks like it'll be extremely cheap too. If I get it, it'll be a fantastic project to add to the list.

The car we were there to look over is a super rare one that also wont disappoint - My mate bought that one. Outside of a 22B it's right up there as desireable in the first gen.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
drat, I was hoping it was a 22B

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

drat, I was hoping it was a 22B

I guarentte that in the extremely highly unlikely event I somehow could afford a 22B, I'll also be banging hot women, won the lottery and I wont be teasing it. It'll be BAM 22B MOTHERFUCKERS

Instead I am destined to buy lovely Subarus and save them, my hot gf's name ends in .jpg, while I wonder how the gently caress I can afford all these goddamn cars.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They were only 130k when new. If one of the german marques made it, it would be under 30k by now :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 14, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... my hot gf's name ends in .jpg, while I wonder how the gently caress I can afford all these goddamn cars.

I think you answered your own question there. But I'm happy we get to live vicariously through you.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Magnus Praeda posted:

I think you answered your own question there. But I'm happy we get to live vicariously through you.

Lol agreed.

I wish I lived in NSW so I could also buy restored Subarus from you though.

As it is, having to ship, pit an rereg them for WA would make the operation unprofitable for a cheap clunker 1st gen

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jiBF2mGxdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJP25qLH-xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFWf_thxUY

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You just bought another rally car you loving mainiac.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

If you just bought a built '91-94 turbo LegacyLiberty, you are doing god's work and I love you even more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
no freaking way

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Heh, I was watching the last one, thinking "I've seen this, but something isn't right," because it's actually this that I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1HbD0UaAk

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

You just bought another rally car you loving mainiac.

HandlingByJebus posted:

If you just bought a built '91-94 turbo LegacyLiberty, you are doing god's work and I love you even more.

Hold those thoughts

So anyway one of my mates who lives in Adelaide suggests we go out to have a look over a few cars and one he is buying. He pretty much hooked me in when he said this guy had a Subaru collection that matches mine. And I think he's right when I get greeted by this -

poo poo there's parts everywhere.....! And I counted half a dozen Liberty's

And this VERY rare car that is about to go to Sydney that will join my mate's EVO 9 and 1999 WRX RA

It's a genuine limited Colin McRae STI v2 555 - Outside of a 22b THIS is the one to get in GC8. The previous owner knows he made a mistake doing it as a rally car but at least he did a hell of a job turning it into a Group A clone. Original engine is a closed deck EJ20, TD05 turbo. Now runs a Forester STI 6 speed, has a WRX engine in it right now while the sad original gets refreshed. Runs RA lightweight panels and glass - all you need to do is paint 555 on the side and you have a proper Subaru factory rally car clone. This is also the origial Subaru rally blue - the WRC blue came two years later. Also a huge list of spares that the new owenr and I can trade. Plan right now is to clean it up and finish doing the Group A cloning.

The 555 special edition was the car Subaru did as a limited edition to celebrate Colin McRae's 1995 WRC crown. It was without a doubt the best of breed until the 22B. I thnk it was only availible in the UK where they have mostly rusted to death or Japan and I doubt more than a handful are in Australia. I certainly have never seen one till now.

Raise a glass to our Deity Colin McRae 10 years gone from this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUS0bagke8M

This place had other interesting cars - how about a SEAT with 200+Kw ATW with a loving big turbo?

Oh just a Brumby motor to trip over

Leaning on trying to get the red one as I think that will be cheaper and easier to make an offer on. The grey one tho...... I think I want that one. It's even better than built, its STOCK.

I havent seen a stock RS in I dont know how long.....! I didnt think they existed anymore