Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Having grown old and grey on this long journey my memory is failing me; what the heck were Getimians supposed to be, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

anti_strunt posted:

Having grown old and grey on this long journey my memory is failing me; what the heck were Getimians supposed to be, again?

Sidereal antagonists with SMA and a yin/yang mote pool. I don't think we heard much about them besides that and Rakan Thulio being the bitterest ex-boyfriend in the history of Creation

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They're anti-Sidereals who oppose the will of heaven and are engaged in the War on Heaven, which may involve other dudes than just them. Rakan Thulio, rogue Sidereal, is basically their Revolver Ocelot/Big Boss figure. They're gangsta Taoists with a bit of Organization XIII and they have pattern spiders in them and have yin/yang mote pools.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Are they still getting developed, or did Holden and Morke eat all their notes on them on the way out?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

They're anti-Sidereals who oppose the will of heaven and are engaged in the War on Heaven, which may involve other dudes than just them. Rakan Thulio, rogue Sidereal, is basically their Revolver Ocelot/Big Boss figure. They're gangsta Taoists with a bit of Organization XIII and they have pattern spiders in them and have yin/yang mote pools.

That actually sounds badass and I wasn't interested in them until I read this post.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Desiden posted:

Are they still getting developed, or did Holden and Morke eat all their notes on them on the way out?

They're still a thing, yeah.

I tried really hard to get the devs to make their castes Heartless/Nobody/Unversed/Replica (I mean, they wouldn't actually use those names), but, spoiler, they're going to be something other than that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Desiden posted:

I'm hopeful that we're gonna see less focus on Rakan Thulio without Morke there since he seemed to be Morke's new Ebon Dragon, so that should be nice.

The way they'd portrayed Gentimens before it felt like you literally couldn't have a Gentimen without pausing to go 'okay but what about Rakan Thulio' which felt like total garbage.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
While the Getimian Exalted are the dark reflections of the Sidereals, the Telluric Exalted are more like their twisted mirrors.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

While the Getimian Exalted are the dark reflections of the Sidereals, the Telluric Exalted are more like their twisted mirrors.

It's more like the difference between satire and parody.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rand Brittain posted:

It's more like the difference between satire and parody.

Ferrinus mains Sarcasm i m o

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Do we have any idea of how the Gettymens war on the status quo will differ from every other splat's war on the status quo? More esoteric/gnostic? Sidereals taking the role of Seers of the Throne? Exalted finally becoming part of a unified Mage cosmology?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

anti_strunt posted:

Do we have any idea of how the Gettymens war on the status quo will differ from every other splat's war on the status quo? More esoteric/gnostic? Sidereals taking the role of Seers of the Throne? Exalted finally becoming part of a unified Mage cosmology?
Apparently they are "black market" Exaltations as I recall, which of course suggests a few things right then and there, including the commodification of enlightenment

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Nessus posted:

Apparently they are "black market" Exaltations as I recall, which of course suggests a few things right then and there, including the commodification of enlightenment

Nah, black market exaltation are related to Exigents. They're exigent exaltations bought and traded for favors and influence, instead of granted by the sun.

This is also related to dirty bomb Exigents, which are Exigents that a lot of God's put only a little power into, to make a single exigent that they share.

We don't know what getimians come from yet, except that they apparently exalt from those who fate fucks over but survive it, at least in part.

In comparison, the solar and lunar and abyssal and infernal wars on heaven are because heaven is attacking them and encouraging the largest institution in the world to attack them, or because heaven is interfering with killing everything.

For getimians it's a more direct hatred of the sidereal exalted in general, due to their duties in making sure Fate runs smoothly. Because sometimes Fate says that an entire village has to be slaughtered by bandits, except for one young girl who will swear revenge and become a hero of her story, but the bandits died to something outside of fate so now the sidereal has go put on a destiny of a bandit, gather their own bandits, and fix the fate error that meant the village survived.

Getimians oppose the idea of a Fate that insists bad things have to happen, and seek to destroy fate themselves. Or at least, large portions of them do.

A few have gone rogue and work in Heaven trying to find ways to mitigate the damage of fate and save what they can, without removing the loom that keeps all of creation stable and flowing correctly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Literally every single thing that exists inside or out of Creation screws over the Sidereals just by being, and vast swaths of them actively want to kill somewhere between like half and all Sidereals......and in addition the Sidereals also needed a new splat that only exists to screw them over? poo poo, it only took a fraction of two splats turning on the Solars to genocide their dumb asses, clearly they are running Sidereals on hard mode.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mulva posted:

Literally every single thing that exists inside or out of Creation screws over the Sidereals just by being, and vast swaths of them actively want to kill somewhere between like half and all Sidereals......and in addition the Sidereals also needed a new splat that only exists to screw them over? poo poo, it only took a fraction of two splats turning on the Solars to genocide their dumb asses, clearly they are running Sidereals on hard mode.

If the Sidereals don't want everyone to hate them perhaps they should stop being the most politically powerful faction, stop showrunning Creation, and stop manipulating the target number. Not a sermon, just a thought

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mulva posted:

This is sadder than "we Lunars". Imagine if your fursona was just a fed

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My only actual worry about Getimians is that they might horn too much in on the political territory of the Lunars, who are actually carrying out a war on heaven. But it takes all sorts, as I always say.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My only worry about Getimians is the name is loving awful.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
gently caress you, get mian

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
How do you even pronounce Getimian?

I like Liminal. That's a good name for an Exalted. Getimian looks like a pretty good set of Scrabble Tiles.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

As long as the DB, Lunar, and Sidereal books are at least as usable as the corebook they can print whatever other dumb bullshit they want. If the Exigents book is good too then gently caress it, go nuts

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Fans posted:

How do you even pronounce Getimian?

Get 'im in.

aka

:getin:

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Anyway if you're going to play Sidereals as protagonists, with PCs controlling the circumstances and rules of engagement, hell yes you need an antagonist faction of shameless spy-assassins who amorally push their advantages to the hilt. The reason we don't know anything more about Getimians is because there's no reason to flesh them out until Sidereals are playable as PCs. To every other splat (even DBs; perhaps especially DBs) the Sidereals are already the perfect antagonist faction.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm running a DB campaign and the Sidereals are great antagonists because they're the group that actually has a reason to hang out on the Blessed isle and mess with the Dragonblood that is something beyond "I long for the sweet embrace of death"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A Sidereal's most frequent and immediate antagonist is their boss. The stuff they actually deal with out in the field is mostly a consequence of office politics.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's just office politics about who keeps stealing all the pens except replace pens with "The various towns surrounding Celeren"

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Attorney at Funk posted:

A Sidereal's most frequent and immediate antagonist is their boss. The stuff they actually deal with out in the field is mostly a consequence of office politics.

I wish Getimians were just a faction of Sidereals and not their own exaltation class so that the most dangerous Sidereal antagonist was a (secret, mole) Getimian who happened to be your boss

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Crion posted:

I wish Getimians were just a faction of Sidereals and not their own exaltation class so that the most dangerous Sidereal antagonist was a (secret, mole) Getimian who happened to be your boss

The way I've imagined Getimians in the Exalted game I'm running would allow for this.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Attorney at Funk posted:

The way I've imagined Getimians in the Exalted game I'm running would allow for this.

Oh hell yes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I was once thinking of an Infernals game that would be spy stuff between them and Sidereals and on the Blessed Isle, but that was during the time of 2e and I had a bout of sanity that kept me from running it.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Crion posted:

I wish this too except replace "a faction of Sidereals" with "a faction of Lunars". I still haven't seen anything about Getimians that you couldn't do with adding a yin/yang martial arts style after a weeklong marathon of Persona 5. We even have a plausible justification for where a few Lunars involved in a War Against Heaven might have filled their bones with renegade pattern spiders. Someone had to build the Caul, right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rand Brittain posted:

This is interesting because many of the ancient Taoists had the goal of attaining immortality, and there are numerous Chinese legends and myths about those that had. One of the methods that some supposedly used was shijie, or "escape by means of a simulated corpse."

Basically, what the Taoist would do is fake a sickness, fake death, and then be buried, only to escape undetected after the fact, where upon they'd put some item in the coffin as their replacement. If this was well enough, you'd not only fool your friends and family into thinking you were dead, you'd fool heaven itself. This would get all those pesky heavenly agents off your back, such as the ones that distribute illnesses and the ones that ensure you age at a constant rate, as well as the ones that ensure that you die at the end of your allotted life span.

This granted you perfect health and a limitless life span...but you'd have to hide from the agents of Heaven forever, unless they get wise to your ruse!

Now, this was considered one of the least noble and least effective methods of immortality (other methods included proper exercise, healthy eating, enlightening meditation, imbibing magical potions, sexual arts, etc), but it was probably the most audacious method--and it'd be a quite appropriate for an Exalt who views themself an enemy of Heaven.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Sidereals kinda seem like natural (if obtuse) allies to DBs if they are working with the realm or at least towards stability.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wasn't there an anti-Fate nega-Sid fansplat for 2E? Nocturnals, I think was the name.

Was Morke drawing inspiration from that or was it pure coincidence?

("Getimian" appears to be an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "to happen, befall", and etymologically related to "time". The Temporal Exalted.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wasn't there an anti-Fate nega-Sid fansplat for 2E? Nocturnals, I think was the name.

Was Morke drawing inspiration from that or was it pure coincidence?

("Getimian" appears to be an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "to happen, befall", and etymologically related to "time". The Temporal Exalted.)

Due to the nature of copyright, the devs basically had to swear on their souls to never read nor interact with Nocturnals, and I can't imagine that policy budged an inch when the dev crew changed over.

Which I'm pretty glad of honestly, Nocturnals seemed interesting but never grabbed me, while Getimians seem like a really excellent weird playspace.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The important thing is that we get Sidereal Martial Arts, as depicted here:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ash Rose posted:

Sidereals kinda seem like natural (if obtuse) allies to DBs if they are working with the realm or at least towards stability.

I read Sidereals as being like the CIA or other intelligence agencies: they are almost only ever allies of convenience, and you'd better believe that it's their convenience that counts. They may stand behind you now, but never forget that this gives them a clear shot at your back.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Who the hell is running this line with Moorke and Holden gone?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

Who the hell is running this line with Moorke and Holden gone?

Eric Minton and Robert Vance took over as developers. It seems Neall from Scion's team came over to help too, though I'm not sure in what capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

This is interesting because many of the ancient Taoists had the goal of attaining immortality, and there are numerous Chinese legends and myths about those that had. One of the methods that some supposedly used was shijie, or "escape by means of a simulated corpse."

Basically, what the Taoist would do is fake a sickness, fake death, and then be buried, only to escape undetected after the fact, where upon they'd put some item in the coffin as their replacement. If this was well enough, you'd not only fool your friends and family into thinking you were dead, you'd fool heaven itself. This would get all those pesky heavenly agents off your back, such as the ones that distribute illnesses and the ones that ensure you age at a constant rate, as well as the ones that ensure that you die at the end of your allotted life span.

This granted you perfect health and a limitless life span...but you'd have to hide from the agents of Heaven forever, unless they get wise to your ruse!

Now, this was considered one of the least noble and least effective methods of immortality (other methods included proper exercise, healthy eating, enlightening meditation, imbibing magical potions, sexual arts, etc), but it was probably the most audacious method--and it'd be a quite appropriate for an Exalt who views themself an enemy of Heaven.

That actually sounds really boss.