Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inescapable Duck posted:

Which comic? WW's had a fair few contradictory origin stories, I thought being sculpted from clay was the original one, I heard being strongly implied to be a child by rape from Hercules was more recent.

All-Star Comics #8, Dec 1941.

As best as I can tell, the "being sculpted from clay" origin comes from a 1985 story.

edit: yes, I did mean 1941, not 31

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think you mean 1941. Also: the clay origin didn't appear in that issue, but appeared in the first issue of her actual solo series in June 1942, a mere six months after her debut.

The 1983 reboot from George Perez simply updated WW's origin after Crisis on Infinite Earths, and while it did change a lot of things about Diana's continuity, her being sculpted from clay -- which had already been around for forty years -- wasn't one of them.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 3, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well, how about that.

Also,
https://twitter.com/KatieBePhoto/status/904394171284197376

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'll also overtake Deadpool pretty soon and it's closing in on Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 pretty fast. After that we'll see if it can catch Spider-Man, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3, which would make it the 5th most successful superhero film in the domestic front with only Avengers, The Dark Knight, Avengers: Age of Ultron and The Dark Knight Rises ahead of it.

....... and two and a half months later:

It made $1.9 million on its 14th weekend. The Avengers and The Dark Knight only made $400,000 on the same weekend and The Force Awakens didn't even make $1m on its 14th weekend. Holy gently caress this thing has legs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BrianWilly posted:

I think you mean 1941. Also: the clay origin didn't appear in that issue, but appeared in the first issue of her actual solo series in June 1942, a mere six months after her debut.

The 1983 reboot from George Perez simply updated WW's origin after Crisis on Infinite Earths, and while it did change a lot of things about Diana's continuity, her being sculpted from clay -- which had already been around for forty years -- wasn't one of them.

Well, I stand corrected.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It made $1.9 million on its 14th weekend. The Avengers and The Dark Knight only made $400,000 on the same weekend and The Force Awakens didn't even make $1m on its 14th weekend. Holy gently caress this thing has legs.
I was going to comment that it just opened in Japan last week but then I realized that was domestic, not international. Wow.

Speaking of Japan, it's made $7.5 million there in the past week.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A perfect example of 'right place, right time'

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy gently caress this thing has legs.
Stop objectifying her!!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Are Wonder Woman and Justice League the first major films where Gadot's character isn't "sexy Jewish lady/Mossad agent"? In the Fast and the Furious movies and Date Night it's specifically pointed out that she is Israeli and is/was with Mossad. In Keeping Up with the Joneses she says she's Israeli and it's heavily implied she's a Mossad agent. In Triple 9 she's a Russian-Jew. I haven't seen Criminal or Knight and Day (lol at her and Cruise sharing a scene together. I imagine it'd be all close ups or them sitting) so I don't know what her character is there.

Yes she has an accent but surely there's another character she can play.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 6, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Are Wonder Woman and Justice League the first major films where Gadot's character isn't "sexy Jewish lady/Mossad agent"? In the Fast and the Furious movies and Date Night it's specifically pointed out that she is Israeli and is/was with Mossad. In Keeping Up with the Joneses she says she's Israeli and it's heavily implied she's a Mossad agent. In Triple 9 she's a Russian-Jew. I haven't seen Criminal or Knight and Day (lol at her and Cruise sharing a scene together. I imagine it'd be all close ups or them sitting) so I don't know what her character is there.

No, Batman vs. Superman was earlier and she wasn't a sexy Jewish Mossad agent in that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, Batman vs. Superman was earlier and she wasn't a sexy Jewish Mossad agent in that.

She wasn't?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Considering Wonder Woman is literally divine, only makes sense for the sequel to be about her involvement in Operation Wrath of God.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not that I disagree with her previous typecasting being bad, but it seems odd to complain about at this point. Like now she is Wonder Woman and in one of the most successful films of the year, I think she has successfully broken out of the typecasting (she will still be a sexy "exotic" lady forever tho probably)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh right I forgot about that. Duh.

Guy A. Person posted:

Not that I disagree with her previous typecasting being bad, but it seems odd to complain about at this point. Like now she is Wonder Woman and in one of the most successful films of the year, I think she has successfully broken out of the typecasting (she will still be a sexy "exotic" lady forever tho probably)
I didn't mean it as a complaint. I just thought it was almost funny how she was typecast in such a specific role. And yes, it's great to see that she's hopefully broken out of that.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 6, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh right I forgot about that. Duh.
I didn't mean it as a complaint. I just thought it was almost funny how she was typecast in such a specific role. And yes, it's great to see that she's hopefully broken out of that.

Oh fair enough, and I agree with the line I quoted, it was just phrased more like a current problem than an observation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's worse things than to be typecast as the Wonder Woman who broke Wonder Woman out of awkward obscurity into a blockbuster star. At the very least, she can probably ride the convention circuit til she dies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's true, golems can't speak and are only capable of basic tasks.

In D&D maybe. The Jewish folktale often features the golem begging his master to let him live. (And he refuses even if it breaks his heart, because the golem is basically a spirit of bloody vengeance by that point.)

e: edited to reflect there are a lot of different versions and I'm just going off the one I know

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Has Jenkins talked about any other stuff she's interested in directing/what she's looking to do in the future? Wonder Woman II (See like WWI they can abbreviate it WWII so it matches up with what war it's during, hire me Warner Bros.) obviously is happening but with how well this movie is still doing, after WWII does great she'll basically be able to get the dump truck of money to do whatever she wants in between superhero stuff like Nolan did for a while right?

genola
Apr 7, 2011
The last fight scene would have much better if Ares and Diana finished it with a good ol' fashioned sword and sandal swordfight.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My big peeve with the last battle was that there was no reason that I saw for Ares to stay and let Wonder Woman kill him. They already showed he could translocate in an instant, but of course in true schlocky comic movie style the bad guy just forgets to do something like that when convenient.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

genola posted:

The last fight scene would have much better if Ares and Diana finished it with a good ol' fashioned sword and sandal swordfight.

This I agree with. Honestly it would have been really cool (though still a Dragon Ball Z video game boss fight like all comic book movies must have) if he still formed the huge armor out of military hardware fusing together around him, but as they fight it gets busted up and eventually instead of him blasting energy it comes down to a great closeup fight.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Has Jenkins talked about any other stuff she's interested in directing/what she's looking to do in the future? Wonder Woman II (See like WWI they can abbreviate it WWII so it matches up with what war it's during, hire me Warner Bros.) obviously is happening but with how well this movie is still doing, after WWII does great she'll basically be able to get the dump truck of money to do whatever she wants in between superhero stuff like Nolan did for a while right?

I wouldn't count on it. After Batman Begins, Nolan got to direct The Prestige. Following Wonder Woman, Jenkins is directing a TNT miniseries.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

I wouldn't count on it. After Batman Begins, Nolan got to direct The Prestige. Following Wonder Woman, Jenkins is directing a TNT miniseries.
And Chris Pine is starting in it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

To make it interesting they should have her on the side of the Nazis. Trying to make humans a better race unlike Ares and only have the nazis abuse her help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

To make it interesting they should have her on the side of the Nazis. Trying to make humans a better race unlike Ares and only have the nazis abuse her help.

The rumours that she would be fighting the Soviets have given rise to some entertaining possibilities indeed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

The rumours that she would be fighting the Soviets have given rise to some entertaining possibilities indeed.

Wonder Woman disappears from the western historical record for 100 years because her history is sitting on a shelf in the Kremlin next to Hitler's skull.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

She didn't disappear at all and just wasn't covered by US media unti she returns to the US after Superman appears.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/loveforgal/status/906521892302897152

:allears:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol so basically every blooper clip she's in

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol so basically every blooper clip she's in

Chris Pine's nickname for Gal was Giggle Gadot.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Chris Pine's nickname for Gal was Giggle Gadot.
Their promotional interviews together are awesome.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMQBNSMfcc

Reshot/Extended/Deleted scenes

Personally I think the boat scene that appeared in the movie was better than this one. Also, I just noticed the brief glance Steve does when Diana takes off her cloak in the department store.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 10, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah the film's boat scene is much better than this one. This one almost feels like a first pass/rehearsal, with the one we ended up with having more blocking, more improv, and a less awkward dynamic between them.

Interesting to see, regardless.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think having Steve distracted with looking for food is part of what makes it seem awkward. The final version where the two of them are lying together is obviously more polished but also let the characters form more of a connection; in my view anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

'Wonder Woman' Sequel: Patty Jenkins Officially Set to Return as Director

After an unusually lengthy and tough negotiation, the director has closed a deal with Warner Bros. to direct, co-write and produce the sequel to the movie sensation of the summer.

The deal is precedent-setting, making Jenkins the highest-paid female filmmaker in history, though getting to this point was “challenging,” according to one source.

ources say Jenkins will receive directing and writing fees in the high seven figures (think somewhere in the $7 to $9 million range) on Wonder Woman 2 but, more significantly, will have a considerable backend. (At her peak, Nancy Meyers earned in the $5 million range, according to sources.) The deal is a superheroic leap for Jenkins, who was paid $1 million for directing the initial Wonder Woman but was looking to get something more on the level of Zack Snyder's pay after he directed Man of Steel, according to sources. Just like the Wonder Woman movie broke glass ceilings for superhero movies, Jenkins' deal breaks glass for women directors.

Gadot already is attached to the sequel, which Warner Bros. has dated for Dec. 13, 2019.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-sequel-patty-jenkins-officially-set-return-as-director-1031052

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Excellent and good for her. :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Random note: Ares being depicted as walking with a cane may be a reference to some depictions of the ancient god being wounded in the leg or elsewhere, representing the dangers of unrestrained violence.

Does make me wonder if Wonder Woman might identify Cyborg with Hephasteus/Vulcan, the crippled god of the forge. (Not to mention Superman with Apollo, Batman with Hades, Aquaman with Poseidon, etc)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Considering that the Greek gods are "real" in the DCEU it'll be interesting to see what Aquaman's origin story is.

I noticed during the retelling of the Amazon's history to young Diana, when Poseidon was struck down his trident was thrown off to the side. I wonder if we'll see it in Atlantis.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mr. Apollo posted:

Considering that the Greek gods are "real" in the DCEU it'll be interesting to see what Aquaman's origin story is.

I noticed during the retelling of the Amazon's history to young Diana, when Poseidon was struck down his trident was thrown off to the side. I wonder if we'll see it in Atlantis.

Do you have a good screencap of it? It'd be interesting to compare it to the one Aquaman uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wdarkk posted:

Do you have a good screencap of it? It'd be interesting to compare it to the one Aquaman uses.
In WW it's a traditional three pronged trident. Aquaman's has five prongs.

Screencaps

Aquaman in JL

• Locked thread