Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's version 2.17.236

That means there are no notification channels so yeah, it's not generating a hidden background notification that the BGN is catching. I don't know, man. I feel like there's no common thread at all to what does and doesn't cause it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

no common thread

Googled again

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

That means there are no notification channels so yeah, it's not generating a hidden background notification that the BGN is catching. I don't know, man. I feel like there's no common thread at all to what does and doesn't cause it.

Not to mention that according to Ron Amadeo's write up Whatsapp should be exempt from generating the notification as should all messaging apps, live wallpapers, etc.

I'd chalk it up to Oreo growing pains and tough it out personally.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 14, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Knowlue posted:

I installed oreo on my 5x last night and didn't encounter many problems except that my keyboard would minimize while I typed. But today around noon my phone will just restart for no reason. I left it on my desk and it consistently just keeps resetting itself. Has anyone encountered this issue and resolved it?

Sounds like you've got a case of the Boot Loops.

Did you buy your phone through Google? You can call/chat with them and get a replacement (and they might even let you get a Pixel).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16309196/essential-phone-headphone-jack-module-announced

There's apparently an AMA going on with the Essential guys. Quick bullet points:

- Looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack is going to be the next add-on for the magnetic pins.

- They are aware that their camera software is poo poo and are working to make it less so lovely.

- They claim they are updating to Android O inside of two months from now.

- They start shipping the white, non-fingerprint-magnet version in the next two weeks or so.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

I'd chalk it up to Oreo growing pains and though it out personally.

Yup I've done exactly that, not worrying about it anymore. Thanks for the help thought LastinLine.

DeathSandwich posted:

- Looks like a 3.5mm headphone jack is going to be the next add-on for the magnetic pins.

:laffo:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Way to ripoff palm/hp

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Internet Explorer posted:

In regards to Duo Security backing up 3rd party 2FA tokens...

Apparently I am wrong and dumb and this is only for backing up and restoring Duo-enabled accounts. This does not work for 3rd party tokens. I can't imagine that is the intended affect long term, but well, there you go. From their FAQ: How does the Duo Mobile restore process affect third-party accounts in my Duo Mobile app?
Users will need to visit each third-party site and follow their specific instructions for reactivating 2FA, this usually involves scanning a QA code after using an alternative recovery method like phone call or SMS.

I've edited my post and I will now take my cold-medicine loopy dumb rear end back to lurking.

What is this Duo security you keep mentioning and why would a person be using it? I can't say I remember it ever being mentioned in this thread.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Not to mention that according to Ron Amadeo's write up Whatsapp should be exempt from generating the notification as should all messaging apps, live wallpapers, etc.

Agreed. I get the persistent notification when I login to the app and use LastPass, and when afaik I'm doing absolutely nothing else that should be running in the background (no music, no weather widgets, nothing).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

What is this Duo security you keep mentioning and why would a person be using it? I can't say I remember it ever being mentioned in this thread.

It's a 2FA app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duosecurity.duomobile

Interestingly enough, today I factory defaulted my Pixel, and as part of it, I had to reconfigure about ten tokens. I have 8in Authenticator Plus, which restored fine, 1 in RSA SecureID and Duo Mobile each.

Before I wiped, I checked Duo and saw it had a backup method, so I did it, figuring it'd save me time, but like the post above mentioned, after a restore it required me to go back to the 2FA site and pull down the QR code again. I was a little miffed since the app didn't say that it couldn't actually restore this code. Fortunately I was able to get it reset, but sometimes with out the code you can't log into the site and get the new QR, so it's a hassle.

EDIT: I just checked, and the site I'm using doesn't work in Authenticator Plus, you have to use Duo. So I'm not sure what's up.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 14, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well yes I can look up it's play store page too. I'm wondering why it came up all of a sudden in the thread and why someone was using it rather than the Authenticator+ that's constantly recommended here.

In other words is it better than the thread recommended app?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Red Warrior posted:

PSA - if you enrolled in the Android beta program to get Oreo for your Nexus or Pixel and are waiting on the September security update, unenroll your device. Then do an update check on the phone and you should get the security update.

Cheers for this, it applies instantly which is nice. Downloading the patch now, 42.1MB. It's not letting me download over mobile data connection though, WiFi only. Is it always like that even for small patches?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/14/16309196/essential-phone-headphone-jack-module-announced

There's apparently an AMA going on with the Essential guys. Quick bullet points:

- They are aware that their camera software is poo poo and are working to make it less so lovely.

- They claim they are updating to Android O inside of two months from now.

- They start shipping the white, non-fingerprint-magnet version in the next two weeks or so.

Oh man. I guess if the "high end audio" part of that module is for real, that might... be... neat? Like a really good portable DAC that sticks to the phone. Still, this just reeks of pointless attempt at justifying the modularity.

Also, guys, goddamn. Stop giving timelines when you haven't stuck to a single one yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

It doesn't target Oreo so that's probably why it isn't exempt.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't target Oreo so that's probably why it isn't exempt.

Yup, WhatsApp (even the latest beta) still targets 7.1/API 25.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes I can look up it's play store page too. I'm wondering why it came up all of a sudden in the thread and why someone was using it rather than the Authenticator+ that's constantly recommended here.

Its an enterprise 2FA. My firm runs it to tie in remote access into our intranet. Internet Explorer and I work in the same industry, and I'm guessing it was the best at marketing to our IT Directors.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Oh man. I guess if the "high end audio" part of that module is for real, that might... be... neat? Like a really good portable DAC that sticks to the phone. Still, this just reeks of pointless attempt at justifying the modularity.

Also, guys, goddamn. Stop giving timelines when you haven't stuck to a single one yet.

I was thinking this would be one of the early addons from them. Not only add the port but also have a high end DAC that makes it compete or surpass the other phones that have one that does the same. (HTC10/V10 whatever phones left that have a headphone port that isn't junk)

Nevermind on the update. I feel even the article quoted 2 months is a bit optimistic for Oreo, however it still might be quicker than most other devices to get it that aren't Pixel/Nexus.

Oooo Looks like they will be releasing the Kernel Source and Factory Images in the next few days (So in like 3 weeks). That is promising at least.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So the Sony Xperia XZs, I haven't heard much (anything) about this phone at all. How is it? The features and price seems pretty decent.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So the Sony Xperia XZs, I haven't heard much (anything) about this phone at all. How is it? The features and price seems pretty decent.

Did they disable the fingerprint reader for the US model again?

edit: lol of course they did

nimper fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 15, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nimper posted:

Why did they do this? Some sort of patent or security concern in the US alone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nimper posted:

Why do they do this? WTF is wrong with Sony?

Back in 2015 they released their Concept ROM for the Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact. It was basically stock Android 6 with their own launcher and a few apps added in. Got security updates very swiftly and it's the smoothest Android experience I've had outside of the Pixel.

Why didn't they just continue that and change the hardware design language even a little the past 4 years?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

deong posted:

Its an enterprise 2FA. My firm runs it to tie in remote access into our intranet. Internet Explorer and I work in the same industry, and I'm guessing it was the best at marketing to our IT Directors.

I actually am the IT Director, so there's that. :cheeky:

Like Deong said, it's enterprise 2FA. I like it as it will prompt for authentication, users just have to hit "Approve" instead of having to enter in a token. Integrates with quite a few things including Confluence, LastPass, Citrix, etc. They have Windows login integration but I have not tried that yet. Does other fun things like user self-enrollment, directory sync, SMS and voice options. Will also monitor devices to make sure they're encrypted and have appropriate lock mechanisms in place before they can be used. Geotags 2FA challenges, tracks to make sure devices are up to date, tracks what applications or browsers are issuing the 2FA challenge. Stuff like that.

There's other players in the space, but Authenticator Plus is more single-user / home use. There no way in hell I could roll that out to my users. They had just added the functionality I mentioned of backing up the config to Google Drive or iCloud so all you have to do is sign your new phone back into that, install the app, then do a quick "this is me" email to restore functionality for their integrated 2FA stuff. I had wrongfully assumed it did the 3rd party 2FA setups, similar to Authenticator Plus, but it turns out it does not do that. I'm sure they'll add it down the line. So all that being said, I just added all my non-Duo integrated stuff to Authenticator Plus, because doing recovery for all the 2FA I have was getting tiresome at the rate at which I am going through 5X's.

It's not expensive and they have a trial if you're genuinely curious and want to play around with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why did they do this? Some sort of patent or security concern in the US alone?

Sony signed an exclusivity deal with one carrier that would have only allowed the fingerprint scanner to be use used on phones sold by that carrier in the US. There was never any follow through on the deal but Sony doesn't know if the contract is still binding. So, they're shipping phones with the scanner disabled in software to avoid legal repercussions. It's been reported a number of times by a number of different news sites.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Oh...-so-thats-why-Sony-disables-its-fingerprint-scanners-in-the-USA_id91545

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Sony signed an exclusivity deal with one carrier that would have only allowed the fingerprint scanner to be use used on phones sold by that carrier in the US. There was never any follow through on the deal but Sony doesn't know if the contract is still binding. So, they're shipping phones with the scanner disabled in software to avoid legal repercussions. It's been reported a number of times by a number of different news sites.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Oh...-so-thats-why-Sony-disables-its-fingerprint-scanners-in-the-USA_id91545

God that's loving stupid.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Minus the fingerprint bullshit, is the line any good?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A phone isn't good without a scanner

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

grack posted:

If it's just disabled in software, has someone figured out how to re-enable it via sideloading/rooting/custom ROMs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

If it's just disabled in software, has someone figured out how to re-enable it via sideloading/rooting/custom ROMs?

Yeah. You have to gently caress around with Flashtool but it can definitely be done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the reasons Sony doesn't have the fingerprint sensor in the US is Apple. In 2015 they were awarded a patent on integrating the sensor with the power button. Sony's market share in the US is too small to either risk a patent lawsuit or try to licence it from Apple, so it is left out. As long as the power button fingerprint sensor remains a Sony mainstay, it will likely be excluded from the US.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: I don't think that's true. The patent would be for the specific way in which the fingerprint scanner works.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 15, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe, I just know that was the most popular theory.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I would like Sony to be more popular in the US. I don't know a lot about their phones, but from what little I do know, in general, I'd choose them over Samsung (if I had to choose one of them).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Xperia Z3 was excellent until the waterproofing failed. A beautiful phone that ran well and had a great camera.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thermopyle posted:

I would like Sony to be more popular in the US. I don't know a lot about their phones, but from what little I do know, in general, I'd choose them over Samsung (if I had to choose one of them).

I still use my Xperia tablet every day, it's a great reader and excellent to use watching movies on the plane.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Flossy has an Essential PH-1 unboxing video up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsM66Ty01Wg

Basically its too drat expensive for what you get. White Shoes on deck.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

grack posted:

Name and shame, Sony! Or, you know, just have the legal team renegotiate the contract. That seems reasonable, right? Then again it's the same legal team that drew up the contract to begin with, so maybe nevermind...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Welp. I dunno how she managed it, but I presume the update to Oreo put my mother's Pixel XL into a bootloop. What're the options here? Flash a clean factory rom onto it?

e: Did a fastboot update of the latest OTA. Still stuck at the "Google" splash screen on boot. Is it dead, Jim?

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 15, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nimper posted:

Name and shame, Sony! Or, you know, just have the legal team renegotiate the contract. That seems reasonable, right? Then again it's the same legal team that drew up the contract to begin with, so maybe nevermind...

So Sony can't license Power Button + Reader but LG Can?

Pretty bad on Sony if that is the case alone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Try wiping the cache from recovery first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Welp. I dunno how she managed it, but I presume the update to Oreo put my mother's Pixel XL into a bootloop. What're the options here? Flash a clean factory rom onto it?

e: Did a fastboot update of the latest OTA. Still stuck at the "Google" splash screen on boot. Is it dead, Jim?

Pixels have dual system partitions. The idea is if an update fails to work, it should automatically boot from the previous, working partition. You could try flashing the image but you likely can't since you didn't unlock the bootloader and can't without being able to boot into Android. Trying won't hurt but you'll likely need to call Google.