Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zuul the Cat posted:

drat. Now I want to run them as Lucius. Spend 2 CP to deep strike in a unit of Destroyers and Kastelans, then spend another 2 to use Elimination volley.

This might be my go to if I want to free up the points from Cawl to take a Mechanicus Knight. Not bad!

Nah dude, you can't use a cp stratagem thing twice in the same phase, so you can only ever deep strike one unit. ...I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
You can use a specific strategem multiple times at once as long as it's played before the game begins. The raven guard for instance can infiltrate multiple squads at once. Not sure if that applies to the deepstriking or not.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think you can because it's before the game begins.

Also, birthday haul ended up being amazing.

Pretty successful 31st.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Hello, coming back to w40k from 4th ed. Space marine combi-weapons say they can be shot with one or both of their profiles at a penalty, that means they can shoot twice in the same turn right? I think that's right but it's a change from combi-weapons being single shot back in the day.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

Hello, coming back to w40k from 4th ed. Space marine combi-weapons say they can be shot with one or both of their profiles at a penalty, that means they can shoot twice in the same turn right? I think that's right but it's a change from combi-weapons being single shot back in the day.

It's a change from them being single-shot last edition.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
You can fire one, the other, or both (for a penalty) as many times as you ever want to which is awesome because single-shot combi-weapons were pissssssssssssssssss

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Question. Lets say I have a bunch of marine dinks in a rhino an it fires a combi plasma super charge an rolls a 1? I get that the rhino is removed but do the marines just hit the ground like it never existed or do you go for an explosion roll?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Generally speaking vehicle mounted plasma weapons cause mortal wounds instead of inmediately killing the firing model.

This being said... How the hell is a rhino firing a combi plasma?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Generally speaking vehicle mounted plasma weapons cause mortal wounds instead of inmediately killing the firing model.

A razorback with las/plas can kill itself on overheat.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

A razorback with las/plas can kill itself on overheat.

I did say generally because there are a few edge cases like that. A rhino is definitely not a razorback though, even if most people use the same model for both.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Pendent posted:

It's a spiky Rhino.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Does anybody in the thread have some (by "some" I mean 10) spare full-helmet Reiver heads? I've decided, purely on a whim, that I'm going to try and use them for all of my Primaris marines that I get to choose the helmet on, and there's no loving way I'm buying a $60 box to get ten heads.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

I'm 99% sure on this, but do the Assault Terminators and the regular Terminators have the same basic body sprues unlike assault marines and tac marines? Thinking about grabbing a set and magnetizing arms so as to swap between punchmans and shootmans loadouts.

It's an identical sprue. I just built some like 2 months ago.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Should've paired up against me on day three.

e: You filmed my cattle :haw:

I gotchu fam

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For_Great_Justice posted:

Question. Lets say I have a bunch of marine dinks in a rhino an it fires a combi plasma super charge an rolls a 1? I get that the rhino is removed but do the marines just hit the ground like it never existed or do you go for an explosion roll?

Treat it exactly the same as any other vehicle death. Roll for explosion, forcibly disembark the passengers, roll to see if they die, etc.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Strobe posted:

Does anybody in the thread have some (by "some" I mean 10) spare full-helmet Reiver heads? I've decided, purely on a whim, that I'm going to try and use them for all of my Primaris marines that I get to choose the helmet on, and there's no loving way I'm buying a $60 box to get ten heads.

This is an awesome idea - I wonder if somebody 3D prints them on Shapeways or something.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

Not full helmet, but if you decide to settle with just the facemask Reaver heads I have 10 spare.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

For content, I'm making a big dumb moose daemon to lead my forest daemons army. It's based on the mascot for Baxter Brewing Company from Maine:

That's so good, this is how you do it. Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

Try casting them?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

jng2058 posted:

Treat it exactly the same as any other vehicle death. Roll for explosion, forcibly disembark the passengers, roll to see if they die, etc.

Ok thank you.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think you can because it's before the game begins.

Also, birthday haul ended up being amazing.

Pretty successful 31st.

Noice. I nearly caved and bought a Knight on Weds but I remained strong (by remembering my window sill of primer shame).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone who plays Deathwatch explain to me wtf is up with the kill teams on BattleScribe? It looks like you can take up to 3 Bikers per kill team. How does that work? Do they just split off? Can you have a kill team consisting only of Bikers?

Also, does this mean you can take some Bikers are troops and some as fast attack?

Sorry. Usually I don't have this much trouble making lists.

Corrode posted:

Noice. I nearly caved and bought a Knight on Weds but I remained strong (by remembering my window sill of primer shame).

Yeah, I feel you. I only got that stuff cause I got some gift cards, otherwise my lady would kill me. Haha.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's so good, this is how you do it. Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc
Remember that Badcast where SRM talked about my friend blasting "The Boys Are Back In Town" whenever she resurrected her daemons? Well, that's my new Moose Summoning song.

Finished the last of my Genestealer Cultists - some Neophytes converted from Chaos Cultists (including two Seismic Cannons converted from Rock Drills), an Acolyte Iconward as a slightly-WYSIWYG-tweaked version of an old Cult conversion, and a retro Acolyte re-based to fit into the new squad. Now I'm ready for TheChirurgeon's Deathwatch to mercilessly purge my bug-people from his cityfight board.

Apologies for the lousy photos - Photobucket seems to have given up on me and I can't get to Photoshop right now, so everything is compressed and uncorrected Facebook-upload photos.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can anyone who plays Deathwatch explain to me wtf is up with the kill teams on BattleScribe? It looks like you can take up to 3 Bikers per kill team. How does that work? Do they just split off? Can you have a kill team consisting only of Bikers?

Also, does this mean you can take some Bikers are troops and some as fast attack?

Sorry. Usually I don't have this much trouble making lists.
Kill Teams are an insane bugfuck of a unit that can consist of normal veterans, terminators, vanguard veterans, and even bikers. They are a single unit and cannot be separated during the game which means the vanguards and bikers have to stay in coherency and can't really take advantage of their higher movement stats. However, each of the different model types grant the unit a bonus and you can wind up with something pretty powerful if ridiculously expensive. I don't play Deathwatch so I have no idea what the prevailing wisdom on their builds would be.

Sorry for the tiny text. It's a big unit entry and I had to zoom out to capture everything.

Also, never rely on Battlescribe for anything. Just check the relevant index for an idea how things work.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

This is from a little bit ago, but what's your recipe for that yellow? I'm aiming for something similar for my mining/construction worker themed GSC vehicles.

In our escalation league, we played back to back weeks, 300 points then 350 yesterday. For my 300 point game, I took a unit of 13 genestealers, a 10 man neophyte squad, and an acolyte up against a tech priest, 2 squads of rangers, and 1 of vanguard. Initially I was pretty happy since I got a 6 for my ambush and was able to multiassault a ranger squad, vanguard squad, and his tech priest, right up until he rolled double sixes with his priest on overwatch, followed by double sixes to wound, meaning I took 2 extra mortal wounds, which combined with 2 failed saves meant I dropped from 4 to 3 attacks before I ever made it in. After a lot of ineffective flailing, he used his mortal wound canticles on the top of the next turn to drop 2-3 more, and then killed the unit down to like 3-4 models as I blew every roll for saves and attacks. Conceded and then we re-racked and played a much more even game that I won, so it wasn't a complete disaster.

This week, the GSC took on 2 10 man ork boyz blobs, a trukk, a painboy, and her warboss in the Psychic Maelstrom, my list was basically the same save for swapping a magus for the iconward since I knew we'd be fighting in the maelstrom. GS's again ambushed on a 6, followed by double 1's to give them Might from Beyond - after a command point reroll, failed to make warp charge 7 even with a +2 from the maelstrom, and then the GS's took the truck down to 1 wound and killed like 2 boyz while getting hammered in return. Most of the rest of them died turn 2, and then the rest of the game was neophytes making a fighting retreat from the ork hordes before finally being cornered and killed to a man, though they did kill a respectable pile of boys. The real hero was the magus despite his initial flub, who smote the hell out of the orks until finally locked in combat as the last man standing, he perils'd and became a chaos spawn. Super fun game even in defeat.

My takeaways so far have been that you should always bring more genestealers, always, and that having to have at least half your army on the board turn 1 and being unable to return to shadows really feel like they severely weaken the knockout punch you kind of want with your fragile GSC units, and effectively add a 50 point tax on any unit you want to ambush with, as you need a corresponding neophyte squad or sentinel to stand in the backfield.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I used to play this back in 4th edition when I was in high school (far too expensive a hobby to get into it). So now that I have signficantly more disposable income and it doesn't look like the game is stagnating I am interested in getting back into it.

A big problem I found was there were too many mans to build and care about when I was doing the Tau. I really want to focus on fewer models, what are the high point cost armies/low model count armies? I know Grey Knights would be one, as would be Imperial Knights. But are there others?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GK, Deathwatch, Deathwing (Dark Angels).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Custodes, Daemon Primarchs

E: Thousand Sons are pretty low model count, I think. Normal space marines can also be pretty elite if you want to- The new Primaris range in particular goes in for fewer, tougher models with everything getting an extra wound over normal marines.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 15, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
My 50 level primaris force is 28 models:

Gravis captain
Lieutenant
2 5 man intercessor squads
2 5 man reiver squads
1 5 man hellblaster squad
1 dreadnought.

The only thing that makes deathguard high model count is poxwalkers.

You could go fairly low model count with them if you took plague marines and higher.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Any army that focuses on vehicles is going to by definition have low model counts. Even swarmier armies like Guard and Nids can do builds like tank squads or Oops All Carnifexes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Thousand sons are a pretty expensive army too. Craftworld eldar kinda so.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Last night I played 100pl Ultramarines against Necrons. The game was pretty tight the whole time, and fairly bloody. I only won because of three objectives getting flipped in turn 5 that I was already sitting on.

The guy I was playing against really had one of those defeatist attitudes though. It didn't feel like he was there to play. He had a solid core of units but kept swearing he lost on army composition.

He's a nice guy and fairly new to the game, so I don't want him to lose heart or interest. I'd just rather play someone who was interested in the playing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Attitude is a self improvement thing and sadly this community can be really bad about it.
All you can do is be nice, offer advice and he has to learn to accept its just a game.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Had our first proper game of 40k a few weeks ago on the terrain colection I've been gathering from eBay.

3 way 1500pts Guard/Ultramarines/Necrons. Was great fun, all of us are WMH players, so playing casually and on real terrain was a real treat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Will the Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus box let me (more-or-less, possibly with extra plasma guns from, e.g. Victoria Lamb) let me field a full 10-man Scion squad? I'm really wondering how many normal dudes I can build off of the command sprue.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Schadenboner posted:

Will the Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus box let me (more-or-less, possibly with extra plasma guns from, e.g. Victoria Lamb) let me field a full 10-man Scion squad? I'm really wondering how many normal dudes I can build off of the command sprue.

The Scions box and the Scion command box are the same box. You can absolutely build 10 normal scions from the Start Collecting, though then you won't have an HQ.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JoshTheStampede posted:

The Scions box and the Scion command box are the same box. You can absolutely build 10 normal scions from the Start Collecting, though then you won't have an HQ.

Well, I'm thinking of getting several, I was just hoping this would be a one-stop squad box for Stormtroopers (and it sounds like it is).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beerdeer posted:

Last night I played 100pl Ultramarines against Necrons. The game was pretty tight the whole time, and fairly bloody. I only won because of three objectives getting flipped in turn 5 that I was already sitting on.

The guy I was playing against really had one of those defeatist attitudes though. It didn't feel like he was there to play. He had a solid core of units but kept swearing he lost on army composition.

He's a nice guy and fairly new to the game, so I don't want him to lose heart or interest. I'd just rather play someone who was interested in the playing.

That might be just his way of compensating for stress. I know I can get pretty defeatist when losing. If it bothers you bring it up.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Pendent posted:

Custodes, Daemon Primarchs

E: Thousand Sons are pretty low model count, I think. Normal space marines can also be pretty elite if you want to- The new Primaris range in particular goes in for fewer, tougher models with everything getting an extra wound over normal marines.

How do the custodes play?

The Bee posted:

Any army that focuses on vehicles is going to by definition have low model counts. Even swarmier armies like Guard and Nids can do builds like tank squads or Oops All Carnifexes.

So, is it possible to take more of what you want in armies? Like more elite choices rather than troops?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Okay GW, points for funny marketing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDrFc7BrqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord Windy posted:

So, is it possible to take more of what you want in armies? Like more elite choices rather than troops?

Yes, there are lots of different force org charts depending on what you want to take.

The standard is 2 HQ + 3 troops as required choices, which gives you 3 command points.

There's also the option for 1 command point to take 1 HQ and 3 of any single other force org slot.