Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Automata: Even though I knew about it, I still messed up on the big first boss and had to do the entire opening sequence again. At least now I got my buddy 9S with me on Earth while we do something with this Resistance.

Bloodborne: Hunters are bullshit. I can understand Gascoigne, he's fast but manageable; now that guy on the top of the tower was a goddamn rear end in a top hat. He had a loving handcannon, how unfair is this!? And I didn't even get to loot it/buy it after I was done with him, all I got was his katar thingy. Lame.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Did you just call the stake driver lame

e: also you can definitely get the blunderbuss.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
pvp in destiny is almost indistinguishable from Splatoon, ie 99% of the people playing are incredibly bad at the game and the other 1% are so much better than me they might as well be AI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

pvp in destiny is almost indistinguishable from Splatoon

How fresh is the dressup game though

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FF14 remains my favorite dressup game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How fresh is the dressup game though

Ehhhhh. It seems like all the sub-endgame gear looks kind of generic and all the kerfuffle about Shaders seems quaint when most of them don't make things look drastically different.

The new gun system is also very weird, it sucks to only be able to carry a shotgun OR a sniper rifle OR a rocket launcher. Like for PvE are you kidding me when am I not gonna just keep the Rocket Launcher lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

Ehhhhh. It seems like all the sub-endgame gear looks kind of generic and all the kerfuffle about Shaders seems quaint when most of them don't make things look drastically different.

The new gun system is also very weird, it sucks to only be able to carry a shotgun OR a sniper rifle OR a rocket launcher. Like for PvE are you kidding me when am I not gonna just keep the Rocket Launcher lol
Yeah I wasn't completely sure about that from the PC beta, so that does mean that the only guns you can use regularly are Assault Rifles, SMGs, DMRs, and Revolvers? F that n.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is there no way to switch shoulders in Just Cause 2? :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mordja posted:

Yeah I wasn't completely sure about that from the PC beta, so that does mean that the only guns you can use regularly are Assault Rifles, SMGs, DMRs, and Revolvers? F that n.

Well there are still "Scout Rifles" which are basically literally Sniper Rifles, the difference being that now Sniper Rifles do insane amounts of damage per shot. So you have AR, SMG, "Scout" Rifle, Sidearm (like mini-SMGs), Hand Cannons, Pulse Rifles (which own)... I think that's it. So REALLY the only gun type you can't use "regularly" are Shotguns and Hand Cannons kind of fill that niche anyway.

It can suck when the only two guns you have worth using are the same type (and even worse if it's a type you don't like much) but from what I understand once you get to level 20 (which takes almost no time, I'm already at 15 after probably 8 hours and that includes a lot of wandering around looking for secrets) that becomes less of a concern since 1 or 2 points of Light Power makes almost no diff.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I am stuck as poo poo on the 5th special stage in Sonic Mania. It doesn't help that I hate the Sonic CD style special stages with a passion, the controls are awful and slippery

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samuringa posted:

Bloodborne: Hunters are bullshit. I can understand Gascoigne, he's fast but manageable; now that guy on the top of the tower was a goddamn rear end in a top hat. He had a loving handcannon, how unfair is this!? And I didn't even get to loot it/buy it after I was done with him, all I got was his katar thingy. Lame.

Non-boss NPCs in souls games are often way harder to fight than the actual bosses which is really strange. Its especially weird in Bloodborne that they do a few fights with MULITPLE NPC hunters and its just brutally unfair, and then you get to the boss after them and its like ".....that's it? he was a loving pussy compared to those stupid non-boss hunters"

I love FROM but they're not perfect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the Soulsborne games but I feel like From never quite got to the platonic ideal of what they were going for with that series. Each game has at least some major flaw.

I never did play Dark Souls 3 but I somehow doubt that ended up perfect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bloodborne is perfect

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dark Souls 3 was good but hard to get excited for after the other souls games and especially after playing Bloodborne.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Non-boss NPCs in souls games are often way harder to fight than the actual bosses which is really strange. Its especially weird in Bloodborne that they do a few fights with MULITPLE NPC hunters and its just brutally unfair, and then you get to the boss after them and its like ".....that's it? he was a loving pussy compared to those stupid non-boss hunters"

I love FROM but they're not perfect.

:hfive:

There's some hunters I simply avoided entirely, could never figure out how to beat them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

Bloodborne is perfect
The blood vial system is indefensible, especially when it was a problem previously solved in the series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

The blood vial system is indefensible, especially when it was a problem previously solved in the series.

Eh, I think it's pretty defensible and at it's very worse it's people making a lot out of maybe ten minutes of grinding.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How is occasionally making you grind for ten minutes good though? What about that is better than the Estus Flask system in Dark Souls 1?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I never once had to do that

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Early on in Nightmare of Mensis I really struggled with the opening bridge section and had to grind vials for a while. By the end of it I was dancing around those silver wolves like nobody's business.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The nice thing about bloodborne is that you can heal yourself whenever you want by attacking people

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

How is occasionally making you grind for ten minutes good though? What about that is better than the Estus Flask system in Dark Souls 1?

It gives you far more at once which allows for much more room for error, which like many things in the game, encourage you to play more aggressively. They could have just given you a bigger Estus but I think they still wanted to balance out the much larger stock with a bigger consequence for burning through it while still giving you a way to mitigate said consequence.

It's slightly annoying but it's hardly indefensible and the fact that it's like the only thing people can think to complaints about most of the time shows how little else that game has to complain about

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raxivace posted:

I like the Soulsborne games but I feel like From never quite got to the platonic ideal of what they were going for with that series. Each game has at least some major flaw.

I never did play Dark Souls 3 but I somehow doubt that ended up perfect.

No I completely agree. None of them touched the high-water-mark of DS1 for me. And yet they did massively improve on many of DS1's weaknesses, but in return they made other concessions. Each is good in its own way, which is great, but they never really perfected it.

DS3 has the best graphics and the best combat, and some fantastic moments, but it also feels like a victory lap. Its a massive re-tread of DS1 and DS2. The story even directly involves DS1 and DS2 more than the others ever linked to each other, so they kinda lampshade it and lean into it, but still. DS3 is just like.... "Dark Souls All Stars". For better and worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haha people are very ineffectually trying to defend blood vials again.

Samuringa posted:

You can start with the blunderbuss. Also you can shoot that guy off the edge if you just spam your gun as soon as you get to the top of the ladder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its better to just run past that guy; by the time you get to him to fight him you're at a point where he can't shoot you anymore.

And also then you can come back later and be buds. :)

But there's plenty of other hunters in Bloodborne.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I hear Hiveswap's out, how is it?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I am stuck as poo poo on the 5th special stage in Sonic Mania. It doesn't help that I hate the Sonic CD style special stages with a passion, the controls are awful and slippery

This is the hardest one. Focus on spheres first, and jump to turn tightly.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In Training posted:

The nice thing about bloodborne is that you can heal yourself whenever you want by attacking people

No you can't. You can heal yourself only for a second or two after getting hit by attacking people.

Anyway blood vials are dumb and DS1 estus was the perfect system. Otherwise Bloodborne is pretty much perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hunters are badasses, of course they're going to be amongst the hardest things in the game to fight.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, David Sirlin's simplified fighting game is out (in early access). Is it any good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

Huh, David Sirlin's simplified fighting game is out (in early access). Is it any good?

Just play a real fighting game instead

May i suggest guilty gear

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Probably not. It's like an ugly version of a bunch of other fighting games

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

precision posted:

pvp in destiny is almost indistinguishable from Splatoon, ie 99% of the people playing are incredibly bad at the game and the other 1% are so much better than me they might as well be AI

Agreed, except Destiny is actually fun. :smugdog:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's out restart eshop.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
samus returns seems really good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Hunters are badasses, of course they're going to be amongst the hardest things in the game to fight.

It's not the intrinsic difficulty of fighting yourself that makes them suck. That part is pretty drat cool. The part that sucks is that a) they can heal to full very fast and there's very little you can do to stop it, which some of them can do infinitely even after the patches. That's fine for you because you're the player and you're going to be getting hit a lot more than the enemy, but it's not fine for them because they're the computer so they always know the perfect time to do it. And b) they don't play by your rules because they have infinite bullets and reliable poise during attacks. They're not dumb enough- they read your inputs and can reliably and easily parry your attacks with their infinite bullet supply and it can be very frustrating.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 15, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When FROM eventually makes a new souls-style game, I'd like to see them include underwater combat.

Like, just include an area where you need a key item to get there and it is underwater, treat it like everything else so your key item lets you breathe underwater and you're just at the bottom of the sea fighting off creepy sea creatures. I think that would be cool. Don't incorporate swimming or anything like that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

When FROM eventually makes a new souls-style game, I'd like to see them include underwater combat.

Like, just include an area where you need a key item to get there and it is underwater, treat it like everything else so your key item lets you breathe underwater and you're just at the bottom of the sea fighting off creepy sea creatures. I think that would be cool. Don't incorporate swimming or anything like that.

Like the lungfish part in Psychonauts?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Samus just once bring all your poo poo with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Like the lungfish part in Psychonauts?

Something like that yeah. Or SOMA when you're walking on the ocean floor.

I just like the idea of them delving into a new environment with a lot of new potential enemy designs and environmental designs. Sure, they could just have sea creatures appear above ground, but that'd be stupid, why would they ever do anything like that?

• Locked thread