Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thefluffy posted:

you morons know you can always adjust the difficulty and even story tellers mid game if you get your poo poo slapped too hard. right?

That is literally what several people have suggested, perhaps you need to lose your abrasive trait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
also outright colony wipes generally only happen because of your own stupidity like the time a prison break out killed everyone because the prisoners KO'ed the guy throwing incendiary grenades at them and took them for own use. these days all my walls are of stone and prison now has turrets trained at the doors.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What is you guys' favorite use for Doomsday Rockets? I've never gone after a pirate outpost before but I think thats what I'll save mine for. Do pirates ever have anything useful that I don't want to blow up / burn?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The outposts often have turrets and solar generators which are nice to take apart for components, and they've got some minor supplies (I thought I've found up to glitter meds, but I forget). The first pirate base I assaulted was partially burrowed into an ancient danger with humans in cryptosleep caskets so I totally thought that was a thing at pirate bases.

I've just been hoarding the rocket launchers (both kinds) "just in case" but I've never come across what exactly I was waiting for. Yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

The outposts often have turrets and solar generators which are nice to take apart for components, and they've got some minor supplies (I thought I've found up to glitter meds, but I forget). The first pirate base I assaulted was partially burrowed into an ancient danger with humans in cryptosleep caskets so I totally thought that was a thing at pirate bases.

I've just been hoarding the rocket launchers (both kinds) "just in case" but I've never come across what exactly I was waiting for. Yet.

I think I posted about a base raid where when my assault team arrived, we already heard fighting. Turns out the outpost was a mountain complex that had dug into a danger. When we arrived on the map, the danger activated, and after shooting some pirates that were fleeing the base, we found the inside to be about 500 degrees from all the fires.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Turns out hoarding 4500 plasteel is not a great idea. The raids have gotten a little big now.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Ugh, one of my mods is causing my pawns to randomly just stand around (action: Standing) and not work unless I physically draft them or force them to focus on something. I've got too many mods to bother going through and testing each, especially because it can take up to like an hour of play before it happens. :sigh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lprsti99 posted:

Ugh, one of my mods is causing my pawns to randomly just stand around (action: Standing) and not work unless I physically draft them or force them to focus on something. I've got too many mods to bother going through and testing each, especially because it can take up to like an hour of play before it happens. :sigh:

Shot in the dark, are you using the Cthulhu mod and used Treasures from the Deep? Chests can only be opened from the right side and sometimes they can spawn next to a wall. Pawns will keep trying to open it, but can't path to the spot, so they just stand there.

If not it could be something similar. Try activating/deactivating certain jobs and see what makes them move again

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

socialsecurity posted:

That is literally what several people have suggested, perhaps you need to lose your abrasive trait?

:drat:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had a character craft a charge rifle and the bill is finished but i can't find it anywhere. any ideas why? its not in any of my storage areas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it in an equipment rack you put somewhere and forgot?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Did someone equip it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody equipped it. Equipment rack?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Nobody equipped it. Equipment rack?

You can build equipment racks under furniture, they serve as two tile storage for guns, default to a high priority, and things in them don't degrade when outside.

They're easy to forget about and tend to squirrel away random guns if you do forget.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You could try putting down a stockpile and filtering it to just charge rifles, critical priority. Should work unless it's forbidden for some reason.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Have you got a bill on your smelter or cremation furnace to destroy low quality items?

If they made a mediocre gun, someone may have melted it back down.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does prepare carefully throw a fit and refuse to load my presets if I change my mods around, especially if the mods don't have anything to do with pawn creation :argh:

Now I'm screenshotting my starter pawns so I can manually go in and readjust my stats.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leal posted:

Why does prepare carefully throw a fit and refuse to load my presets if I change my mods around, especially if the mods don't have anything to do with pawn creation :argh:

Now I'm screenshotting my starter pawns so I can manually go in and readjust my stats.

I use the wealthy explorer start because it's so much easier to just have to manage one person's traits when you start.

Easier to justify what gear I give them to start with too. Can't see how a glitter world runaway would leave home without a proper kit of weaponry, helper robots, and plenty of supplies to get established.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

I use the wealthy explorer start because it's so much easier to just have to manage one person's traits when you start.

Easier to justify what gear I give them to start with too. Can't see how a glitter world runaway would leave home without a proper kit of weaponry, helper robots, and plenty of supplies to get established.

I've been starting my games lately with the same guy. A Rich Explorer assassin with a couple hundred each of plasteel, gold, silver, wood and survival meals and 50 each of components and glitterworld medicine (he's the only one allowed to use it, the rest of the colonists get herbal until we can start making proper medicine for them,) full cybernetics and a fiery passion for every skill. He's only biologically 21 years old, but he's been roaming the galaxy exploring and looking for a decent challenge for a couple hundred years. He also has his Charge Rifle and his Power Armor suit and a breeding pair of whatever animals I decide to start with (this current run it was boars, the one before I went with pandas and the one before that was iguanas) He is also industrious and a jogger so he is able to set up his main base nice and quick and can afford to be really picky about the company he decides to keep around (I'm on year 3 or 4 in my current game and only have 3 other colonists, even though Randy keeps sending pods and people running from pirates at me constantly)

May sound boring to some, but I love having superman around to guide his people.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Funny, I love starting my game pretty much complete opposite. Random colonist, using Prepare Carefully just to make sure they don't have something stupid like incapable of dumb labor x3 that would made the game unplayable, Crashlanding Hard and beginning in relatively harsh biome like Tundra, Jungle or Desert.

I love beginning in absolute misery and slowly building up into prosperous Colony.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Funny, I love starting my game pretty much complete opposite. Random colonist, using Prepare Carefully just to make sure they don't have something stupid like incapable of dumb labor x3 that would made the game unplayable, Crashlanding Hard and beginning in relatively harsh biome like Tundra, Jungle or Desert.

I love beginning in absolute misery and slowly building up into prosperous Colony.

I do like the difficult biomes though, I think Jungle is my favorite. I also play at a decent difficulty so things can still go drastically wrong early on, and by the time you stabilize, the one superman doesn't imbalance things since at that point you can start building all of your colonists into supermen/women at your leisure.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Shot in the dark, are you using the Cthulhu mod and used Treasures from the Deep? Chests can only be opened from the right side and sometimes they can spawn next to a wall. Pawns will keep trying to open it, but can't path to the spot, so they just stand there.

If not it could be something similar. Try activating/deactivating certain jobs and see what makes them move again

Hmm, it's hauling that's causing it. No treasure chests though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Lt. Lizard posted:

It is nice isnt it. I know its a bit sad and roleplaying'ish but it does make smile when my pawns are warm and happy after their long labours :) All snuggled up in their comfy warm rooms and beds while its -50 outside hehe

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Turns out hoarding 4500 plasteel is not a great idea. The raids have gotten a little big now.

then make plasteel turrets

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thefluffy posted:

then make plasteel turrets

Not everyone has OP turret mods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can make regular old turrets out of plasteel in the vanilla game, same as choosing a material for anything else. They have a ton of HP.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Also wealth stored in buildings only count as half for purposes of raid sizes

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Heffer posted:

Also wealth stored in buildings only count as half for purposes of raid sizes

oh they don't? WELL THEN CUP RUNNITH OVER, MAKE SOME DAMNED PLASTEEL PALACES!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BoredBrightHamGingerPower

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You should use the set up camp mod, and take all your valuable, not used stuff to the tiny map it generates. Line said map with turrets and walls, and then laugh as the super raids spawn within firing range of 30+ turrets, and with a 5 tile thick wall between them and your stockpile.

Also, tame a bunch of deer/gazelle/pigs/whatever, and graze and breed them there. send em back to base carrying the crafting materials you want, and then butcher them for food.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Gadzuko posted:

You can make regular old turrets out of plasteel in the vanilla game, same as choosing a material for anything else. They have a ton of HP.

Holy poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

With the hospitality mod how do I set my place up so people go nuts on the yayo i make or does that depend on the character? I let them do what they want and have an area set up for guests and just got a 100 hospitality score so they're doing something right.

Whats required for cybernetics as well? Due to coincidence i've nearly maxed out the research tree and only have the ship stuff left to get

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I do love the idea of "Welcome travelers, come in, come in! Please, make yourselves at home, mi casa es su casa. Dinner will be served at 18:00 sharp, but until then please feel free to avail yourselves of the cocaine bar. Also, I must ask that you not enter the Chapel from 15:30 to 16:30, to respect the sanctity and privacy of the faithful, and never, ever enter the kitchen. The chef is very... particular."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol if you don't have a freezer full of human meat in the guest allowed area and don't regularly get mad dosh for letting the visitors satisfy their curiosity about how human tastes like.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Jose posted:

With the hospitality mod how do I set my place up so people go nuts on the yayo i make or does that depend on the character? I let them do what they want and have an area set up for guests and just got a 100 hospitality score so they're doing something right.

Whats required for cybernetics as well? Due to coincidence i've nearly maxed out the research tree and only have the ship stuff left to get

You can let them buy things within the area they're allowed in, so I generally set up a large room, adjacent rec room, dining hall, and a small trading area where I've put things I'm fine with them buying. If you don't and have them Unrestricted, they'll cruise over to your main stockpiles and buy things you don't want them to.

But, if you have a little trading area, you can put things on the ground or on shelves and they'll walk in and check things out. I've never seen them use drugs of any kind while they're renting the room unless they have a mental break (and for the chemical interest/fascinated ones, they can be super happy and still go on a binge), but they'll clear out as much stock as you sell them.

For cybernetics, you need to either buy pieces from traders (exotic and prosthetic trade ships have them) or get one of the mods that allows you to research and craft them. The tab for the cybernetic stuff is under the Research tab, but a different section - there are tabs along the top of the main research screen when you have mods that add research.

It seems that when they buy from your general store (not a trade using a pawn) they do market value.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Just lol if you don't have a freezer full of human meat in the guest allowed area and don't regularly get mad dosh for letting the visitors satisfy their curiosity about how human tastes like.

I use the more balanced version of the tilled soil mod to make compost out of human flesh to make fertilizer for making as much soil rich as possible. thus managing to carry out the boastful death threat the chinese tank general gives you in C&C generals zero hour. namely the part about using your blood to make the barren land fertile again. :unsmigghh:

edit: finally found video of said boast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpCB6qOlYF8

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bet it was that fucker Hitler again.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lt. Lizard posted:

You can't be a "little town on the edge of civilization with a dark secret" if you don't keep it a secret. God, you people have no respect for genre conventions. :rolleyes:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

You can let them buy things within the area they're allowed in, so I generally set up a large room, adjacent rec room, dining hall, and a small trading area where I've put things I'm fine with them buying. If you don't and have them Unrestricted, they'll cruise over to your main stockpiles and buy things you don't want them to.

But, if you have a little trading area, you can put things on the ground or on shelves and they'll walk in and check things out. I've never seen them use drugs of any kind while they're renting the room unless they have a mental break (and for the chemical interest/fascinated ones, they can be super happy and still go on a binge), but they'll clear out as much stock as you sell them.

How do I set up an area for them? I've not been able to find any option to create visitor specific areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jose posted:

How do I set up an area for them? I've not been able to find any option to create visitor specific areas

If you dont have a Hospitality mod you cant.

If you DO have a Hospitality mod, click on the visitor, (specifically a non-colony pawn that was spawned as a part of "Visitors" event) and there among "health", "gear", etc... will also be a "guest" tab where you can set a bunch of stuff, like which area are they allowed in, if you allow them to buy items in the allowed area, if you try to entertain them or recruit them etc.... There is a "Set as default" button there, that will set the current setup for all visitors current and future, otherwise the settings are only for that one pawn only.

I played like 30 hours with the Hospitality mod before I discovered that little tab. :v: