Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When was that attitude ever justifiable??

So you're not familiar with how agriculture worked for a long while, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

When was that attitude ever justifiable??

Literally most of human history up until the post-war period and even then only for some parts of the world. Human's can make do without a lot but we can't live without food, shelter and clothing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You don't work, you don't eat, is a maxim for murderous penal camps. We have evidence of Neanderthal burials of disabled people who definitely needed to be supported by others their whole life. You're thinking of extreme survival situations, which are an aberration, not the normal day to day.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You don't work, you don't eat, is a maxim for murderous penal camps. We have evidence of Neanderthal burials of disabled people who definitely needed to be supported by others their whole life. You're thinking of extreme survival situations, which are an aberration, not the normal day to day.

Neanderthals weren't agricultural people in the historical era.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Neanderthals were arguably not even people, or at least that's what our ancestors must have been telling themselves as they murdered the poo poo out of them.

Fishmech is right though, this argument is stupid.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

on the other hand, we have evidence of early agriculturalists engaging in human sacrifice. most of the preserved ancient peat bodies we have, for example

what you're reaching for is community, and elders and disabled folks (and even children sometimes) were definitely killed in many societies when food was scarce. but in good times, there's enough to spare for our greater social behaviors such as empathy to take over, but these folks are a deliberate exception simply because the labor requirements of early agriculture are such that all able bodied persons need to work

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've actually ordered ladybugs off of Amazon. +1 would recommend to murder the gently caress out of aphids in your garden.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MiddleOne posted:

Neanderthals were arguably not even people, or at least that's what our ancestors must have been telling themselves as they murdered the poo poo out of them.

Fishmech is right though, this argument is stupid.

They didn't murder the poo poo out of them. They had sex with them.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fun fact: archeological findings of a corpse with the advanced state of the back condition I have (ankylosing spondylitis - the advanced stage, where most bones in the back fuse, is colloquially called "bamboo spine") are considered some of the first historical evidence of compassion. I learned that when I got diagnosed and thought was neat. Weird to think about cannibalism in other places/times but makes sense.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 15, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

exploded mummy posted:

so on a scale of 1-10 if you gently caress up your job, do people die
If anything people are probably more likely to die if he doesn't gently caress up his job.

Star Man posted:

They didn't murder the poo poo out of them. They had sex with them.
Probably did both, really.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't one of the dominant theories that we were close enough to mate but not enough to procreate which drew them to extinction?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't one of the dominant theories that we were close enough to mate but not enough to procreate which drew them to extinction?

No, we totally procreated. They've found neanderthal mitochondria in humans today, and crazy racists like to attribute the superiority of Europeans to it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Everyone with ancestry outside of Africa has Neanderthal gene markers.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I believe some scientists think that humans who interbred with neanderthals produced children were able to get some sort of disease resistance out of the deal, which is pretty neat.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
The "you don't work, you don't eat" mentality is...kind of a mixed bag. The ideal state of humanity is some post-industrial Utopia where basic needs and luxuries are trivial to get, and any labor folks expend is for thier own joy, fulfillment, or education. At the same time though, we have So Many Goddamn People, and we'll have even more in the next century before all counties are developed enough where population starts to level off.

Like, presumably a UBI or other scheme would lead towards more consumption, which means more resource exploitation.

I think people get distracted by the idea that 2% of the population can produce food for the remaining 98%, and conclude that we're all set for a post scarcity society. But our current situation as a species has only really existed for under a century. Raw food production itself may not be the weak point that ultimately controls population any more. It may be fresh water, it may be stable arable land during climate change. It could be a limit for sustainable energy production. Hell, it could be a limit of the organizational capacity of the human mind and by extension human society.

My gut feeling is that a post-scarcity society will end up with something like 2 billion humans rather than 10 billion. And getting from point A to point B will probably involve a whole lot of "if you don't work, you don't eat", in one varaition or another. Or we're "lucky" and end up with a crowded, lovely planet where we keep everyone alive, conditions are miserable, but we keep people "happy" and distracted enough with entertainment and ersatz avocado toast so that they don't off themselves. So I guess I'm worried the whole planet will turn into New York City.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like a great ideal, Ra's Al Ghul. Who needs to die first?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LogisticEarth posted:

So I guess I'm worried the whole planet will turn into New York City.

What's the downside?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

duz posted:

What's the downside?

What would we do with all the TV shows about how, like, New York City isn't the setting of the show... the city is actually a character?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

LogisticEarth posted:

Like, presumably a UBI or other scheme would lead towards more consumption

I'm going to ask what may seem like a completely unrelated question, how much have you traveled?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Start with the people who've got highest per capita carbon emissions and work your way on down

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Everyone between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

RuanGacho posted:

I'm going to ask what may seem like a completely unrelated question, how much have you traveled?

It does seem like an unrelated question, but for the average American I'm probably moderately well traveled. I have not had the time or affluence to do any extensive international travel. That said, I do pay attention to world events and do my best to stay informed and interact with folks remotely.

The rationale behind a UBI or similar increasing resource consumption is, well, sort of a feature that's promoted. Folks with lower income tend to spend more of their wealth on consumption, hence why some economists want to put more cash in the hands of those who will spend it rather than "horde" or invest it. And the increase in hypothetical purchases would be real, mass produced goods and services, not expensive baubles and the like. Not to mention that there are a good 5-6 billion people who still might want to hit western living standards one day.

For what it's worth, I've been working in the environmental field my adult life, currently in watershed protection and agricultural assistance. Yesterday, I attended a local conservation partnership meeting with folks from regional agencies and non-profits, the day after our state house of representatives voted to gut pretty much every major conservation assistance fund we depend on to plug a budget gap. The mood was not entirely positive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LogisticEarth posted:

The rationale behind a UBI or similar increasing resource consumption is, well, sort of a feature that's promoted. Folks with lower income tend to spend more of their wealth on consumption, hence why some economists want to put more cash in the hands of those who will spend it rather than "horde" or invest it. And the increase in hypothetical purchases would be real, mass produced goods and services, not expensive baubles and the like. Not to mention that there are a good 5-6 billion people who still might want to hit western living standards one day.

But the increase would primarily be in things like food which we already produce tons of anyway, or it will be wholly digital/virtual/experience things that don't really require making new real objects.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I know retail stores keep closing but all that money isn't just disapearing into thin air, what's happening to the small businesses that are selling poo poo on amazon? Wouldn't these naturally small businesses make more money by getting rid of the costs of distribution and grow larger and just spend their money in different areas of the economy?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

I know retail stores keep closing but all that money isn't just disapearing into thin air, what's happening to the small businesses that are selling poo poo on amazon? Wouldn't these naturally small businesses make more money by getting rid of the costs of distribution and grow larger and just spend their money in different areas of the economy?

Smaller businesses that sell on Amazon enroll themselves into FBA - Fulfillment by Amazon. They pay us a fee to store their goods in our warehouses and use our distribution network to actually send their items to customers. It works out great for them because they don't need to invest in their own warehouse space or use retail-cost shipping options like UPS and instead get to do things like take advantage of our negotiating power with shipping companies.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

HonorableTB posted:

Smaller businesses that sell on Amazon enroll themselves into FBA - Fulfillment by Amazon. They pay us a fee to store their goods in our warehouses and use our distribution network to actually send their items to customers. It works out great for them because they don't need to invest in their own warehouse space or use retail-cost shipping options like UPS and instead get to do things like take advantage of our negotiating power with shipping companies.

So no more being able to have to pay to get the best spot on the shelf rack?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

IIRC the FBA system is especially good for buyers but when it comes to returns and poo poo it can be bad for Sellers, who can oftentimes get back a used or damaged item that cannot be resold. There's also extra fees for returns through FBA. Amazon has a tendancy to side with the customer in all but the most extreme cases which can mean even a super, super fishy return still would go against the seller.

I don't sell poo poo myself but I remember reading an article about how you have to be cautious about deciding to be an FBA seller because stuff like that can eat away at your profit margin quite easily.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

LogisticEarth posted:

It does seem like an unrelated question, but for the average American I'm probably moderately well traveled. I have not had the time or affluence to do any extensive international travel. That said, I do pay attention to world events and do my best to stay informed and interact with folks remotely.

For what it's worth, I've been working in the environmental field my adult life, currently in watershed protection and agricultural assistance. Yesterday, I attended a local conservation partnership meeting with folks from regional agencies and non-profits, the day after our state house of representatives voted to gut pretty much every major conservation assistance fund we depend on to plug a budget gap. The mood was not entirely positive.

I asked because I felt like your perspective was kind of alarmist, and I feel like we're probably at peak humanity right now.

I'm acutely aware of what it costs to build functional infrastructure for civilization as that's my long term work focus and there's just so much space still, even in countries that have orders of magnitude higher population density than the US. It's good you're working on conservation because we do need to protect what we have, but I would posit to you that humanity isn't done compacting yet, barring free energy there are way way too many efficiencies to be gained from building close together and leaving the wilderness as it is. I don't think we will head to bladerunner levels of density either, those kind of dystopian arrangements have logistical problems people just haven't been inclined to engage with.

Retail will probably come back in a significant albiet very different way to how people are used to 20 years out. It won't be configured like a bazaar everywhere, though in some places that will make sense.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LogisticEarth posted:

My gut feeling is that a post-scarcity society will end up with something like 2 billion humans rather than 10 billion. And getting from point A to point B will probably involve a whole lot of "if you don't work, you don't eat", in one varaition or another. Or we're "lucky" and end up with a crowded, lovely planet where we keep everyone alive, conditions are miserable, but we keep people "happy" and distracted enough with entertainment and ersatz avocado toast so that they don't off themselves. So I guess I'm worried the whole planet will turn into New York City.

This bullshit only makes sense if you think people will just continually pop out children once material needs are met. Since we've invented birth control methods, it's become pretty obvious humans as a whole like the failing to make a baby portion of the equation a whole lot more than the succeeding to. Birth rates in the developed world are basically below replacement levels, (neglecting immigration and recent immigrants) so it seems like the solution to having a hyper-populated lovely world is voluntary but easily available and effective birth control.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tell us about commingled FBA inventory and how it's used to sell fake product

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 16, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I don't know if this has been covered, but I've read forecasts that the dual impact of Harvey and Irma is going to cause depression in the retail sector in the coming months. It effected a large enough area of Texas and Florida to show up in national figures.

My guess is that retailers facing an already difficult holiday season will have this be a tipping point, but that we won't really see the true impact until after the holiday season. I think that a lot of struggling retailers are hoping for one last break, and I don't think it is going to happen. I think the real domino effect of anchor closures leading to mall closures is going to happen in January-March of 2018. It could happen sooner, especially if another hurricane impacts oil and gas production.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

There was a massive scandal in my high school where kids working at the Walmart would ring up a pack of batteries and let their friends walk out with a t.v. Went on for months, and I'm still not sure if management was just really dumb or they were a lot laxer about employee theft prevention back then.
this is hilarious

one of my coworkers stole a $400 gift card from a customer and not only spent it at the same store she worked at but diligently filled out an employee discount receipt every time so she could get her 15% off. so the customer came back and showed us the receipt from the gift card, which had the gift card's registration number printed on it, and all the purchases by that gift card were called up, and they all had a corresponding hard copy statement conveniently on-site, dated and signed by the employee, that yes she had stolen this card and was spending it mostly on chic ladieswear

e: i say "mostly" because she spent at least fifty dollars that week on chocolate coated liquorice (i know because i sold it to her)

the old ceremony fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 16, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

the old ceremony posted:

this is hilarious

one of my coworkers stole a $400 gift card from a customer and not only spent it at the same store she worked at but diligently filled out an employee discount receipt every time so she could get her 15% off. so the customer came back and showed us the receipt from the gift card, which had the gift card's registration number printed on it, and all the purchases by that gift card were called up, and they all had a corresponding hard copy statement conveniently on-site, dated and signed by the employee, that yes she had stolen this card and was spending it mostly on chic ladieswear

e: i say "mostly" because she spent at least fifty dollars that week on chocolate coated liquorice (i know because i sold it to her)

That's an impressive level of stupidity.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Some retailers richly deserved to die.
wtf this is hilarious too, the thread is entering a golden age

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

It's really weird, when I worked in a super waspy upper class suburb most all the entitled problem customers were white people, but when working in an area full of rich chinese people most problem customers were chinese?! What was even weirder was the office in an area with a large well monied Indian population ended up having a majority of problem customers being Indian.
you assholes just totally ignored this wisdom and truth. and it goes the other way too, my kindest and most gracious customers were always the clearly destitute.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

No, we totally procreated. They've found neanderthal mitochondria in humans today, and crazy racists like to attribute the superiority of Europeans to it.

There's actually a lot of health problems that's caused by neanderthal dna: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35547175

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

There's actually a lot of health problems that's caused by neanderthal dna: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35547175

Are you telling me the intellectual branch of white supremacy is in fact, not so smart?

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.
Apparently "right-sizing" Aerosoles means closing 74 of their 78 remaining stores: http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Shoe-Retailer-Aerosoles-Files-Ch-11;-Closing-74-Stores/194190

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Old people. Advanced economies almost universally have birth rates below replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/18/toys-r-us-could-file-for-bankruptcy-as-soon-as-this-week-sources-say.html

quote:

Toys R Us could file for bankruptcy as soon as this week, sources say

No final decision about closing stores, but might integrate Toys R' Us and Babies R' Us stores.

The funny thing is that they want to avoid closing stores because of pressure from movie studios. Apparently, Disney has already priced out millions of dollars in research and marketing for "Star Wars: The Last JedI" merchandise and wants Toys R' Us to be the "showroom" for their merchandise. They might reduce business with Toys R' Us if they scale back the number of places that Star Wars merch is available and on prominent display.