Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I am having fun being a college goon and pretending I'm not in the guard. Living back at home to be able to afford going sucks but it's a pretty cool school and close so whatever. I'm in developmental math because I suck at math but I'm really enjoying getting better at everything all the time, and doing some cool computer networking that I don't meet any prereqs for because the advisors were cool with me.

The green weenie already tried to gently caress me and got a lil bit of the tip in, though. Two weeks into my freshman year and I get alerted for a stateside for Irma. Spent a night packing, a weekend of extra-long drill, then Monday getting all my poo poo ready and missing class only to finally get called off Tuesday morning. Two loving weeks and I nearly had to drop classes. Everything has worked out so far though :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You went guard rather than IRR?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

its like enlisting's bastard cousin

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How is grad school? I'm definitely going to try for my masters and MAYBE a PHD in Communications if I like it a lot. I actually might end up with two masters as the GI Bill doesn't allow for Doctorates I think.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Grad school is cool. I am only two weeks in so that opinion will likely change.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cowboy elvis posted:

Grad school is cool. I am only two weeks in so that opinion will likely change.

Grad school is sucking when my semester is basically split into two terms for a total of 8 classes complete when December rolls around. School only started two weeks ago and my midterm for accounting is in a week.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

the GI Bill doesn't allow for Doctorates I think.

It's paying for my MD so I don't see why not.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Soulex posted:

How is grad school? I'm definitely going to try for my masters and MAYBE a PHD in Communications if I like it a lot. I actually might end up with two masters as the GI Bill doesn't allow for Doctorates I think.

In my second year of an MBA, signed a job offer for next June already.

So basically I'm on a 9 month vacation where:
- I'm getting paid (GI Bill)
- I get to learn at my own pace
- I get to do things that are fun
- I get a job at the end.

Grad school is pretty sweet.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

M_Gargantua posted:

I read a lot of GIP before enlisting so a little bit of my retardation was negated.. I'm only guard, never active, so I'm going on a state scholarship, not post 9/11. I'm pretty happy so far, just hit 2 years TIS and got e4, I entered as an E1 and am past most of my peers that entered at E3 with an associates, and right along the idiots that enlisted with a bachelors

I'm peeping yoga butts daily and getting laid often instead of living in a barracks in the 82nd lmao

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

rifles posted:

I read a lot of GIP before enlisting so a little bit of my retardation was negated.. I'm only guard, never active, so I'm going on a state scholarship, not post 9/11. I'm pretty happy so far, just hit 2 years TIS and got e4, I entered as an E1 and am past most of my peers that entered at E3 with an associates, and right along the idiots that enlisted with a bachelors

I'm peeping yoga butts daily and getting laid often instead of living in a barracks in the 82nd lmao

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

McNally posted:

You're never going to qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill, though. At least not 100%. Hell, you're probably not going to get 50%. You know that, right?

LOL the one thing that makes joining the military worth it and the Guard folks don't get full access. School still hasn't started but after talking to financial aid at my school I'll get all my financial aid direct deposited to me. Now to figure out where to waste that money.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

timma85 posted:

LOL the one thing that makes joining the military worth it and the Guard folks don't get full access. School still hasn't started but after talking to financial aid at my school I'll get all my financial aid direct deposited to me. Now to figure out where to waste that money.

PriorEnlistedStudent.txt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Unless it's the actual honor society for your major, don't bother with any sort of honor society. If anything, just put you were invited to join on your resume. Putting that vs you joined shows employers not only are you smart enough to be invited, but you're also smart enough to know better than to give those people money.

Even if its the society for your major, if you're THAT smart you likely don't even need the benefits it entails as far as networking goes. If you for some reason never did any internships and are close to graduating you might think about it. I've already done a few internships and those emails go straight to the junk folder.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TheQuietWilds posted:

It's paying for my MD so I don't see why not.

Good to know

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My end goal is to either teach/manage or be an artist somehow. I have a lot of ideas and one thing in particular that I want to to do but I don't have the money to do it on my own and the main purpose is to display it. One of my main goals in life is to eliminate the social facade and bullshit of appearances and a really cool idea that I got was to do a photo exhibit where I get a make up artist and we create these portraits of who I am. Who I am differs from character to character and the audience would be told to guess which one is "the real me." I would be in the back or a biography of me would be in the back stating which one I am and the purpose of the piece.

I think a lot of damage gets done to people because they don't judge based on actions and merit. Biggest gripe on the military. That and social media presence is a thing and the disconnect between that and peoples real lives are hilariously bad.

Another art project I have is cooler but waaaaaay more difficult. Beyond my skill level difficult.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

McNally posted:

Earlier this year there was some announcement about how post 9/11 was going to be recalculated for guard/reserve so that even non-90 day activators can still qualify. Never could find out more about it and the site that's suppose to tell you your rating never seems to work.

MILPER message 17-059  if anyone wants to try and decipher what actually qualifies.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Soulex posted:

My end goal is to either teach/manage or be an artist somehow. I have a lot of ideas and one thing in particular that I want to to do but I don't have the money to do it on my own and the main purpose is to display it. One of my main goals in life is to eliminate the social facade and bullshit of appearances and a really cool idea that I got was to do a photo exhibit where I get a make up artist and we create these portraits of who I am. Who I am differs from character to character and the audience would be told to guess which one is "the real me." I would be in the back or a biography of me would be in the back stating which one I am and the purpose of the piece.

I think a lot of damage gets done to people because they don't judge based on actions and merit. Biggest gripe on the military. That and social media presence is a thing and the disconnect between that and peoples real lives are hilariously bad.

Another art project I have is cooler but waaaaaay more difficult. Beyond my skill level difficult.

Protip: art doesn't pay and also it's really really hard to be good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

In my second year of an MBA, signed a job offer for next June already.

So basically I'm on a 9 month vacation where:
- I'm getting paid (GI Bill)
- I get to learn at my own pace
- I get to do things that are fun
- I get a job at the end.

Grad school is pretty sweet.

Yeah but from my experiences dealing with people with an MBA; MBAs are useless pieces of paper. Please be an example of a good business manager.

Justin Tyme posted:

Even if its the society for your major, if you're THAT smart you likely don't even need the benefits it entails as far as networking goes. If you for some reason never did any internships and are close to graduating you might think about it. I've already done a few internships and those emails go straight to the junk folder.

Or: Just join the proper professional society. IEEE bitches.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Woof Blitzer posted:

Counterpoint, art pays in hookups with a cool community. If you can afford shelter and food you will lead a fun and fulfilling life.

Cited reference: My aunt was a well respected artist (and amazing person too) in silicon valley for 30 years before retiring to a million dollar house in northern California.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As someone who is taking a theater course to gently caress around in and fill an arts requirement, your aunt was a special case because the kids in this class that are theater majors probably aren't going to be very employable.

Still nice to them though because who knows maybe the next Leonardo DiCaprio is in there or some wacky poo poo.

Had my first after hours required activity tonight. Started at 830.

Had to listen to a woman read a book for an hour.

That was the whole loving thing.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

McNally posted:

Yeah, I do. I'm going on a state guard scholarship that pays all of my tuition. Doesn't cover fees or books, and I don't end up with money in my pocket, but I'm going to school full time and not putting in 4 years before getting started so I'm pretty happy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

As someone who is taking a theater course to gently caress around in and fill an arts requirement, your aunt was a special case because the kids in this class that are theater majors probably aren't going to be very employable.

That sounds like it sucks. My aunt was known in the family for being a sort of gifted and humble individual since she was like 14. I don't know how many of those kinds went into theater because they had talent vs how many went in because they wanna be famous.

I've met three engineers who fill the venn diagram of talented artist & beautiful girl, which out of 30,000 means about a 0.1% chance if you multiply by 10 accounting for (hopefully) artistic talents not going into engineering.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

This is why my degree plan is for communications. Something I still am passionate about.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

This is why my degree plan is for communications. Something I still am passionate about.

https://youtu.be/_4OuAAM4v_Y

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also I'm not going to college to learn how to do a fancy rear end job. I'm doing it because I like to learn and that's how I lead my life. I'll figure out money and while I never may be totally comfortable financially, the time I get with my family and otherwise free time is worth it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'll fight you

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm going to school to get laid, get free mental health and then make bank and not work when I graduate.

Edit: Also to point to my mental superiority with my extra degree in arguments. Making the other person mad is winning in my world.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 15, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

I'll fight you

I'll hold down his legs, you go for the face. Communications majors unite!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

lightpole posted:

I'm going to school to get laid, get free mental health and then make bank and not work when I graduate.

Edit: Also to point to my mental superiority with my extra degree in arguments. Making the other person mad is winning in my world.

Going to school to gently caress bitches, get money, get a degree and some certifications, get another degree and certification, gently caress nurses, make fat stacks, and laugh at MDs with student loan mountains.

Probably add "get paid to stare at and train yoga pants-clad squat butts" somewhere in there, too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had a girl today that was in my class actually but she wore daisy dukes. Too short. Looked like goddamn stripper pants butt hanging out by a solid inch or so. She knew they were short and kept trying to pull them down.

She also probably thought I was a freak because she went into the bathroom right next to class, came in, and sat right in front of me. Like whatever your butt was out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Maybe I'm just old but it feels like shorts are a lot shorter now because I see rear end hanging out everywhere. I did just spend the summer on a ship with dudes so I can't tell. I'm all for it since they are all in a different bracket from women I am going to talk to so ogling is fair game (they get desperate at 30 and are a bit less insane).

VVVVV Sometimes I'm dyslexic and better off for it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 15, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Shut the gently caress up before you ruin it you Puritan dweebs. You have to RESPECT their persons and stop SEXUALIZING their asses

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh I'm not complaining
https://youtu.be/V5vmGET6Zww

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
After the amazing times I had in Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego I realized coming back north east means I (still) have no real idea how to talk to the population of basic white girls everywhere. Seems I need to do a masters program on the west coast to fix that. I'm regressing into autism and being the single dude with nothing but couples for friends.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You talk to women like they're the people that they are. Some will gravitate towards you without much effort, and others require a little digging to click. Some might be friends and others will be cool with hooking update/ dating.

I will say that if you're the dude who solely talks to all the good looking girls in class, that'll be to your detriment. Just make friends with your classmates.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

After the amazing times I had in Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego I realized coming back north east means I (still) have no real idea how to talk to the population of basic white girls everywhere. Seems I need to do a masters program on the west coast to fix that. I'm regressing into autism and being the single dude with nothing but couples for friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9x8MenjAmc

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

cowboy elvis posted:

You talk to women like they're the people that they are. Some will gravitate towards you without much effort, and others require a little digging to click. Some might be friends and others will be cool with hooking update/ dating.

I will say that if you're the dude who solely talks to all the good looking girls in class, that'll be to your detriment. Just make friends with your classmates.

Okay Chad

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

Yeah, but it can still work out depending on the state. I have 60% (I only needed like 20-30 more days of active time to count my IET to get me 80% :mad:) Post 9/11 and a state GI bill that waives the rest. Plus I'm still eligible for regular financial aid to the tune of 9-10k per year on top of all that.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cowboy elvis posted:

ty for helping me with my Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah but from my experiences dealing with people with an MBA; MBAs are useless pieces of paper. Please be an example of a good business manager.

Hmmm this seems oddly hostile...