Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished FFXV and was thinking about playing FF7 again because of hearing the soundtrack on the radio. Is the PS4 version fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dodging 200 lightning bolts is only a bronze trophy though, smdh

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

In Training posted:

I finished FFXV and was thinking about playing FF7 again because of hearing the soundtrack on the radio. Is the PS4 version fine?

PSone or bust champ.

EDIT: Nothing's wrong with the PS4 version, honestly, and the cheats are a big help in breezing through the game.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 15, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

PS4 version good

PC version kinda lovely, although you can mod it and do silly things

PS1 OG gangsta

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played through it on PS1 version on Vita, but I was just making sure nothing about the PS4 version was funky. Thank you. I love Final fantasy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah PS4 version is best because you can use speed up options.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Does the PS4 version still have the W-item glitch?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

PS4 version good

PC version kinda lovely, although you can mod it and do silly things

PS1 OG gangsta

What makes the PC version lovely? I thought they fixed the music at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

What makes the PC version lovely? I thought they fixed the music at least.

The Steam release works better than the old Eidos disc release but still, there's just some little inconsistencies and things that don't feel as polished as they do on PS1 or PS4.
There's like little resolution differences in the pc version that seem off, and the way it renders things is smoother and yet makes things feel less connected and more fake.

That said with the PC version you can mod it to use the battle models on the field screen and that looks aces compared to Popeye Cloud. (You can also download crazy advent children models but they look awfully inconsistent with the rest of the game. At least the battle models fit)
I don't remember any music problems at least.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Trophies are an extremely important addition

I want trophies for VIII + IX

the last thing VIII and IX need are trophies for getting every single card (with different arrow patterns, in IX's case)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah PS4 version is best because you can use speed up options.

This is the best reason to play the ps4 version.

Also yes item duping works.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not just speed up, you can also turn off random encounters at will and restore yourself to full health + full limit bars at the press of a button.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I game with honor.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

morallyobjected posted:

the last thing VIII and IX need are trophies for getting every single card (with different arrow patterns, in IX's case)

Not to mention trophies for jumping rope and racing Hippaul :suicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speed up in FF7 meant I got Great Gospel for Aerith for the first time ever.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh I bought the PS4 version and haven't played through it at all but it was worth it for the theme.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hey y'all,
I'm only partway through Boss Fight Books's Final Fantasy V by Chris Kohler, but ~40 pages in it's already been full of neat interview content and "being a Final Fantasy dork during the 90s and looking for internet friends" anecdotes.

Figured this thread would get a kick out of it, only five bucks for the ebook version.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sakurazuka posted:

Speed up in FF7 meant I got Great Gospel for Aerith for the first time ever.

How much gameplay is between her getting Great Gospel and becoming the Spoiler Meme?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

How much gameplay is between her getting Great Gospel and becoming the Spoiler Meme?

Almost none. You can't get it until after Rocket Town at which point you've got like The Temple of the Ancents and then she's gone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 15, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ignore I totally forgot you needed an item for the last limit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just depends on how early you bother, since gaining Limits is based on number of enemies killed and number of times used you can get it before you leave Midgar if you really wanted to.

Level 4 limit breaks require the manual.

Edit: Beaten!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SirPhoebos posted:

one dungeon. no joke. the guy who owns the house you get her limit break in doesn't show up until he needs to, and you can't go in until he's home.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is why you use gameshark to give it to her from the start.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

The Steam release works better than the old Eidos disc release but still, there's just some little inconsistencies and things that don't feel as polished as they do on PS1 or PS4.
There's like little resolution differences in the pc version that seem off, and the way it renders things is smoother and yet makes things feel less connected and more fake.

That said with the PC version you can mod it to use the battle models on the field screen and that looks aces compared to Popeye Cloud. (You can also download crazy advent children models but they look awfully inconsistent with the rest of the game. At least the battle models fit)
I don't remember any music problems at least.

That is such a weird design decision in the game. The field models are displayed over a static 2D background, the battle models are displayed in a full 3D scene. So why are the field models these hilarious 20-triangle goobers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The battle scenes also run at like 15 fps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

That is such a weird design decision in the game. The field models are displayed over a static 2D background, the battle models are displayed in a full 3D scene. So why are the field models these hilarious 20-triangle goobers.

The battle models exists for only a small, small, small percentage of the characters in the game and (at the time) would have represented a greater investment of resources to create. Using the simple models makes it easier to populate the world with NPCs without using up more disc space or impacting performance.

Eventually get got better at it of course but that was with years to work with the PS1's limitation.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sapozhnik posted:

Battle scenes run at half framerate and have fewer models on screen (and they're still not terribly polygon-rich, which becomes apparent on enemy death animation).

FF7's weirdly limited design in places, and the massive difference between it and FF8, make more sense when you remember that it was originally going to be an N64 cartridge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Designed by different teams, and basically animating the field models was way too hard to do the cutscenes with, so they used simple puppets instead.

FF8's using the same models for both was a huge improvement, too bad the story's a mess.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I really want to play Final Fantasy VI with the GBA translation but I don't want the compressed music or smaller, colorfucked screen.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I really want to play Final Fantasy VI with the GBA translation but I don't want the compressed music or smaller, colorfucked screen.

There are restoration patches that fix the music and the color palette. Screen's still gonna be small though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing XV and I am quite enjoying it. Very beautiful game

post when you stop enjoying it pls

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

if he never stops enjoying it... is this the new way of saying "stop posting"

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Man. Enjoying games. That's wild.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I don't even know if that's allowed in this thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoy games all the time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

hosed up if true.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoops wrong thread!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 16, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I finished the story and liked it the whole way through. The only stuff I won't like and probably won't do is postgame high level super bosses because I can't trust my AI partners to actually play this game well. I'll try some for a bit but if it just boils down to spamming megalixirs just to keep them alive I won't do it for very long.

Not my favorite FF but it's an incredibly solid entry in the series. I hope XV-2 only has one character instead of a party, if they're gonna keep similar combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sakurazuka posted:

I enjoy games all the time

Mods????