Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sloober posted:

Ah the real life ben garrison trump

Surely real

Someone should take up the task of cementing the last time Donnie was actually broader at the chest shoulders than at the gut. He's got the Y-axis mirror of a hero's silhouette, and it's probably worse along the Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Uroboros posted:

So, ever so gradually my mother has clearly been swayed by right-wing media over the last decade or so. I attribute this in large part to her libertarian husband, but it still dismays me considering what she has gone through in life.

Growing up I never knew her to feel strongly about politics, but I know she has been on the low side of life, having to declare bankruptcy after she divorced my father when I was very young, and working long hours and poor paying jobs. Through hard work and what I assume no small amount of assistance from a combination of friends/family/government she managed have a successful career in nursing, and now has her dream business of running a lucrative wedding venue.

Anyway, while I love my mother, I've always known her to be a woman who looks out for herself, especially when it comes to money, and she is very good at justifying her actions to herself. This being said she has taken to posting poo poo like this:
https://www.mrctv.org/blog/we-swore-we-would-never-forget-911-we-did

on social media, and I've gotten into the habit of calling her out on her awful opinions. I have been in the military just shy of 10 years, and this kind of stuff just makes my blood boil. It is only compounded by the fact that I've been interested in politics and history far longer than my mother ever has, and would consider myself a patriot, especially compared to a woman who didn't even want me to join the military, and as far as I can tell knows nothing about it beyond what she sees on TV.

I am almost at the point where I think my joining the military might be in part responsible for her political slide since she became noticeably more of a "flag-waver" after that. I told her this particular video was trash and that I wanted to sit down with her and go over it point-by-point why it is offensive and un-American. I've already typed up a synopsis that debunks a lot of the claims in it, but if anyone else has some commentary on it I would gladly incorporate it.

If you feel like it, post what you got and people might be able to add some ammunition

Biggest thing in my mind is getting to understand "Freedom of Speech" doesn't mean "Freedom from consequences," and conversely that it means people can say or do things that you hate (like kneeling during the anthem, or burning the flag) and be patriotic because they're exercising their rights.

Unless they want things to be like North Korea or other dictatorships where dissent is suppressed and criminalized.

E: pressed the wrong button too soon

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Today, we can’t even fly Old Glory at a baseball game without someone getting offended. Thugs burn the flag in the streets. You point out Islamic extremism, like we suffered 16 years ago, and you're deemed a racist and a bigot.

it sounds like someone is a snow flake, who needs a safespace :smug:

try pointing out the hypocrisy here and see if she gets it or rejects it

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Uroboros posted:

So, ever so gradually my mother has clearly been swayed by right-wing media over the last decade or so. I attribute this in large part to her libertarian husband, but it still dismays me considering what she has gone through in life.

Growing up I never knew her to feel strongly about politics, but I know she has been on the low side of life, having to declare bankruptcy after she divorced my father when I was very young, and working long hours and poor paying jobs. Through hard work and what I assume no small amount of assistance from a combination of friends/family/government she managed have a successful career in nursing, and now has her dream business of running a lucrative wedding venue.

Anyway, while I love my mother, I've always known her to be a woman who looks out for herself, especially when it comes to money, and she is very good at justifying her actions to herself. This being said she has taken to posting poo poo like this:
https://www.mrctv.org/blog/we-swore-we-would-never-forget-911-we-did

on social media, and I've gotten into the habit of calling her out on her awful opinions. I have been in the military just shy of 10 years, and this kind of stuff just makes my blood boil. It is only compounded by the fact that I've been interested in politics and history far longer than my mother ever has, and would consider myself a patriot, especially compared to a woman who didn't even want me to join the military, and as far as I can tell knows nothing about it beyond what she sees on TV.

I am almost at the point where I think my joining the military might be in part responsible for her political slide since she became noticeably more of a "flag-waver" after that. I told her this particular video was trash and that I wanted to sit down with her and go over it point-by-point why it is offensive and un-American. I've already typed up a synopsis that debunks a lot of the claims in it, but if anyone else has some commentary on it I would gladly incorporate it.

poo poo like this makes me so glad that my mom is the kind of person I could buy a Something Awful Account so we can laugh at the Freep thread together.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
[

DarkHorse posted:

If you feel like it, post what you got and people might be able to add some ammunition

Keep in mind this is me putting my own thoughts on paper. It isn't like I am going to send this to her. I'd rather have a one-on-one talk with her about some things. I've NEVER known my mother to say anything particular racist, or harbor any sort of enmity, she did spend years working at a plant(slaughterhouse) heavily populated by migrants, which I am sure has informed her opinions. That being said she never seemed to complain about them.

I tried to hit on some of the more aggressively stupid claims. Honestly, the entire thing offends me, from the obnoxious tone, to the American flag sitting in the background, which is infinitely more offensive to me than someone actually burning it. I concluded some bolded sections in the criticisms on points I am having trouble summarizing.

quote:

Point 1: Speaker nostalgically says that there wasn’t a car on the road without an American flag bumper sticker after 9/11.

Criticism: She then mentions that someone got offended at a baseball game over the flag. Who? How many? Last I checked we can still fly flags basically anywhere. This is basically bullshit, and even if someone does get offended, why the gently caress does it matter? Maybe that person actually has a legitimate grievance? Ultimately, why is this a problem? Do we somehow think this is the first time anyone has ever protested the actions of their nation? Either way, no evidence is provided, no example, it’s hyperbolic bullshit. Bitching about people exercising their rights is the height of hypocrisy when glorifying how free your country is supposed to be.

Point 2: She mentions the flag raising over ground zero, and now suddenly things are different with rioters burning the flag.

Criticism: So? Does she not believe in freedom? She doesn’t even address what the riots may have been about. For someone who is proud of America she sure hates it when Americans do American things like protest injustice, or what they perceive as injustice.

Point 3: Next she goes on to mention how this was the first introduction to Islamic Extremism for millions, and then proceeds to assert that you can’t say Islamic Extremism without being accused of being a bigot.

Criticism: The first part is largely false for anyone who paid attention to world events and politics, and the second is 100% false since people use the term to describe terrorist acts all the time. I am genuinely unsure how I should approach this idea that not saying Islam enough in conjunction with the word terrorism is somehow giving aid to our enemies, it is so stupid on its face that beyond pointing out "this is dumb" is something I can't get past"

Point 4: She goes on to try and make a point about thoroughly vetting immigrants and how 3 of the 19 hijackers were here illegally, implying that 9/11 happened because we don’t thoroughly vet people who enter this country, and that you are xenophobe if you merely wish that our immigration laws were enforced.

Criticism: There is a lot to unpack with this statement, first off, no evidence is really offered to show that 9/11 wouldn’t of happened if we had more strict laws on people entering the country. I suppose banning all Muslims or people of Arab descent could’ve done the job, but considering what we know now an easier solution would’ve been to simply change security procedures when responding to hijackers. It is interesting to note that nothing like 9/11 has happened since, largely because prior to that point SOP had been for passengers to not risk to their lives interfering with hijackers, but now that will never happen again because all passengers will assume the worst at any attempted hijacking.

I assume the other half the argument here is over illegals entering from Mexico and Central America. It is interesting to note that the number of people immigrating to the U.S. from Mexico is less than those returning at this point. Basically, if you wanted to do something about illegal immigration you should’ve tried decades ago. When people bitch about illegal immigrants all I really hear is “boo hoo I don’t like all these non-white people around with their strange customs”. Apparently, they were good enough to come here and work all the poo poo jobs we didn’t want to do, but now that the face of the American landscape is changing as a result all the loving racists are getting upset. Growing up in Beardstown it is hard to perceive this kind of talk as anything but the most thinly veiled racism. The best question is, how does this have anything to do with 9/11? Why are the crime rates for immigrants lower than the general population if they are such an issue?
This is the hardest one for me to summarize, I feel like you could go on for days about this. It is doubly perplexing given where I have grown up. Part of me wants to tell my mother that she is straight up racist by agreeing with this kind of thing, despite how little that would help. I could use a better method of argument here.

Topic 5: Next, she claims we forgot 9/11.

Criticism: Clearly False and hyperbolic. She then claims that sanctuary cities mean we forgot 9/11. What the gently caress does this mean? How does an athlete’s protests mean we forgot 9/11?

How does one truly address this? It ventures into the "not even wrong" category.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

quote:

Point 3: Next she goes on to mention how this was the first introduction to Islamic Extremism for millions, and then proceeds to assert that you can’t say Islamic Extremism without being accused of being a bigot.

Criticism: The first part is largely false for anyone who paid attention to world events and politics, and the second is 100% false since people use the term to describe terrorist acts all the time. I am genuinely unsure how I should approach this idea that not saying Islam enough in conjunction with the word terrorism is somehow giving aid to our enemies, it is so stupid on its face that beyond pointing out "this is dumb" is something I can't get past"

For this one, you can talk about the KKK calling themselves "Christian" while terrorizing black people with bombs, burning crosses, and extrajudicial killings like lynching. Should they be called "Radical Christian Terrorists"? Does she think their Christianity is their defining quality? Do they represent the majority view of Christians?

Because Christian is what the KkK call themselves (have pictures pulled up ready to show), and they are without a doubt terrorists... the question is whether calling them that is at all productive. I would argue (and I hope she would agree) that it's not, because they are not representative of Christians or their beliefs. Calling the KKK "Radical Christian Terrorists" just makes actual Christians look bad by lumping them in with people who don't even follow Christianity's beliefs but use it to excuse and justify their atrocities.

Make a lateral move from there to ISIS and Islam; Islam forbids prostitution, slavery, and mind-altering substances, but ISIS gives all these to its fighters as enticements. They don't follow Islam, but they use it as an excuse to satisfy their bloodlust. You can also show the government's analysis that the greatest risk in the US are radicalized white men.

Finally, remark that despite all that you still won't be thrown in jail for saying "radical Islamic extremism" or fined or even condemned, really. At worst people will say "that's an oversimplification and hurts would-be Muslim allies."

E:

quote:

Point 4: She goes on to try and make a point about thoroughly vetting immigrants and how 3 of the 19 hijackers were here illegally, implying that 9/11 happened because we don’t thoroughly vet people who enter this country, and that you are xenophobe if you merely wish that our immigration laws were enforced.

For this, you can point out that none of the 9/11 hijackers were from countries in the "Muslim Ban" and that even if the current ban were in place in 2001 it wouldn't have stopped them.

You can also show evidence that immigrants are more law-abiding than the general population. Comedy option, show her this Op-Ed that flips the narrative:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/only-mass-deportation-can-save-america.html

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 13, 2017

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Honestly man, the most productive thing you can do is lead her through questions that fully unpack her assumptions and beliefs that lead her to want to share that first and then, depending on what the reasoning is, provide evidence for falsely held ideas, and support for resolving knee-jerk emotional causes. It'll basically be therapy. But that is the best way to keep someone from the brink that you actively and specifically don't want to see go.

You gotta unpack their beliefs, because otherwise their biases will find ways to invalidate everything you say, because change requires thinking, and thinking is hard. Much easier to just maintain the status quo by invalidating the things that say you need to change. Just the way the brain works.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dameius posted:

Honestly man, the most productive thing you can do is lead her through questions that fully unpack her assumptions and beliefs that lead her to want to share that first and then, depending on what the reasoning is, provide evidence for falsely held ideas, and support for resolving knee-jerk emotional causes. It'll basically be therapy. But that is the best way to keep someone from the brink that you actively and specifically don't want to see go.

You gotta unpack their beliefs, because otherwise their biases will find ways to invalidate everything you say, because change requires thinking, and thinking is hard. Much easier to just maintain the status quo by invalidating the things that say you need to change. Just the way the brain works.

this is very good advice, but also don't be surprised if she gets frustrated when you start really unpacking and categorizing those beliefs and their incoherence leads to frustration for both of you. relatively few people have a consistent, squared away perspective on the world

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

boner confessor posted:

this is very good advice, but also don't be surprised if she gets frustrated when you start really unpacking and categorizing those beliefs and their incoherence leads to frustration for both of you. relatively few people have a consistent, squared away perspective on the world

As someone all but estranged from a family member at the moment that went hard alt-lite, good luck with this part. They get super defensive and tend to get even more outlandish in their claims, and your frustration levels and blood pressure are going to rise in turn. I don't have any further good advice, since my own dealings with it haven't resulted in any progress. It's an emotional position they hold, and applying logic to their views that aren't founded in logic won't do anything but piss them off.

EDIT: Also, I'm really sorry you're having to go through it at all. It sucks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/350509-white-house-espn-anchor-that-called-trump-racist-should-be-fired

Eagerly awaiting conservatives to come out in droves to defend Jemele Hill's 1st amendment rights.

quote:

An ESPN anchor who called President Trump a white supremacist should be fired, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday.

“That is one of the more outrageous comments that anybody could make and certainly is something that is a fireable offense by ESPN,” Sanders said.

ESPN has reprimanded Jemele Hill, an African-American woman who co-hosts a show called “SC6 with Michael and Jemele,” for a string of tweets sent out over the weekend calling Trump and his supporters white supremacists.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Re: Sanctuary cities -

What that really means is that police detectives in the city don't report any witnesses they come across in their investigations to immigration authorities. This is a good thing: undocumented immigrants who witness crimes are more likely to help with criminal investigations if they don't risk being deported for speaking out. Uroboros, if an undocumented immigrant saw a thief carrying stuff out of your mom's home or business, wouldn't she prefer it if they came to the police with their information? Would she really rather they kept silent and protected the thief?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Pththya-lyi posted:

What that really means is that police detectives in the city don't report any witnesses they come across in their investigations to immigration authorities. This is a good thing: undocumented immigrants who witness crimes are more likely to help with criminal investigations if they don't risk being deported for speaking out. Uroboros, if an undocumented immigrant saw a thief carrying stuff out of your mom's home or business, wouldn't she prefer it if they came to the police with their information? Would she really rather they kept silent and protected the thief?

This is even more relevant now that there are so many reports of ICE agents posting up in actual courthouses and arresting witnesses/victims when they come to testify. It just makes it that much easier for people to abuse those who are here illegally because what are they going to do? Press charges and get deported?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alright, I'm gonna throw this one to the sharks and see what you guys think:

quote:

I was friends with someone for over 4 years who struggled with depression and did nothing to improve his mental health. He was a good person who was a good friend but the friendship became a burden. It was like dating a clingy guy except we weren't dating. We will call him Dan.

We met in high school. He was friends with my twin and met me through her. He was kind of a weirdo (I suspect he had an inflation and furry fetish but I have no proof), and my sister has little tolerance for weirdos so she stopped hanging around him pretty quick. He tried to vent to me about my sis from time to time which should have been a red flag. I understand complaining about my sis once or twice but more than that is just not appropriate imo.

Second warning flag that I somehow missed was that Dan would get very upset if I sat next to other people in the classes we had together. Keep in mind that I went to a small high school and everyone knew everyone. I wasn't his only friend there, although I might have been his best. If I changed things up one day and sat with someone else, he'd message/text me later and ask me what was wrong, if he'd done something, etc. He would need repeated reassurance that he hadn't done anything.

Pretty soon, Dan became comfortable with confiding in me about his depression, suicidal thoughts, etc. He was pretty open about being depressed and practically everyone who knew him knew he was depressed. I had sympathy. Depression is hard. About every two months, he'd have a minor breakdown and tell me that this was the night he was going to end it all, he didn't want to go on, etc. And of course I'd drop what I was doing to talk him down from it. Needless to say this was very emotionally stressful, but I felt like it was my duty as his friend. He was a year older than me, so he graduated and went to college while I was in my senior year.

So here's when the real crazy started. In my senior year, I had a Tumblr (gag). At the time, and probably still to this day, most of Tumblr was about obsessing over British television actors. So most of what I saw, and most of what I was reblogging, was stuff about Sherlock, Doctor Who, and the actors in those shows. I followed a few of my friends on Tumblr and a few of them followed me. Dan was one. Out of the blue nowhere, Dan messages me on Facebook. But not just any message. What he had to say was so long that he typed it in a document and attached it in a facebook message. He basically told me that he felt I spent too much time on Tumblr, that I valued these famous actors over my real friends, that I wasn't paying enough attention to my real friends, etc. The entire time, it was blatantly obvious that this moron was jealous of the time I was spending on Tumblr. In hindsight, he had a crush on me and that contributed to the jealousy. There was some back and forth but ultimately I told him he was being a weirdo and I didn't want to talk to him for a while.

Mutual friends at my school told me he was taking our little separation period badly. This was after maybe 2 weeks of not talking. They told me he was researching skin bleaching, colored contacts, and learning to talk with a British accent, because he thought that's what I was into.

Don't talk to him for a year. During that period, I myself have my own brush with depression and suicidal thoughts but I get myself in order.

Go to college, bump into him there. He says he acted horribly and has regretted how he behaved, but was respecting my space. Says he's gotten a better handle on himself since and isn't so needy and clingy.

I am hesitant to believe it, but willing to give him another chance since as I said he was a good person and a supportive friend.

He sees a therapist now and is on anti-depressants. Goes to the gym, eats well.

Some months pass, Dan is acting decently normal and friendship is overall wholesome. He'll come over to play vidya a few times a week and we'll help each other study in subjects we suck at. Always very supportive and willing to listen if I need to vent.

He works at Publix and starts socializing with the Publix trash. Publix employees, as a rule, cannot socialize without copious amounts of booze and drugs.

Starts going out to clubs, drinking, smoking weed, taking ecstasy and horse tranqs while on anti-depressants. Depression becomes worse. Resumes becoming suicidal once every 2 months or so.

Befriends a girl I used to know. I know she's an emotionally manipulative, crazy person. Warn him off. He responds by dating her. She encourages his drug use, constant mind games, constant fights, etc. He calls me once a week at least to vent about her, and I usually put him on speaker while I do something else because I am not interested.

He calls me while I'm at my brother's birthday party and gives me another iteration of "I'm going to end it." Tell him I'm busy atm and don't have time for his crap and that I'll call him in the morning. He doesn't answer any of my calls or texts the next day, and once 24 hours have passed I get ready to go to his house and prepare to find his corpse. He texts me back right before I leave and says he took a sleeping pill and slept all day. When I tell him that I thought he was dead, he gives me some crap like, "I'm so miserable, I feel like I'm dead :/." I tell him that we can stay acquaintances but our friendship is pretty much over. I have no more patience.

He breaks up with gf, stops the drugs, starts exercising again. Tells me so, and I say good job. Some months pass and he asks if we can go to starbucks and talk. He apologizes for how he acted. Tells me he started dating someone else. He met her online and they've met in person a few times. She is in the process of a divorce, and is leaving her husband because he's emotionally abusive. She has a 4 year old that she's leaving with him. Dan asks if I want to hang out again soon, and I say no.

Don't hang out with or talk to Dan anymore, just barely keep up with him through Facebook. Around the time the primaries were kicking off, notice that he isn't on my Facebook feed anymore. He unfriended me. A little relieved, in all honesty.

Fast forward to yesterday. Dan texts me and asks how my family is during the hurricane. Say fine thanks and ask about his. Everyone is safe. He's texting much more than me and obviously wants to engage in conversation. Tells me his gf now lives with him at his parents' house.

Says his gf made him unfriend me from facebook during the election because she didn't like that he was friends with and defending a conservative. Keep in mind that I barely post anything political on my profile, and when it's there it's super tame. I also was not a big Trump supporter until the tail end of the primaries. Says he's felt bad for a long time and has wanted to tell me what happened, feels like it's been long enough now that his gf won't care.

- he lives with both his parents and gf
- his gf won't tolerate him being friends with people who don't share her political beliefs
- he lets his gf dictate who he stays friends with
- he drops a friend of 4+ years at the behest of someone he's been dating for a few months
- he wants to go behind his gf's back and resume the friendship
- he's probably getting sick of the gf and just wants someone to vent to
- a cuck

I did not respond anymore and have no intention of doing so. Pic somewhat related.

quote:

This is in a public-ish group and the names have already been changed

Me personally, I think the girl seems a bit crazy since
1) she wrote this loving novella over a friend she claims to hate
2) she is weirdly judgemental about all this
3) her politics are really loving annoying; like "why isn't there a white history month" sort of poo poo
Not saying her friend or his new gf is a prize, but I'm not out of line for thinking she doesn't come off looking good for this, am I?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 14, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think that falls into "why do you care?"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think that falls into "why do you care?"

I wanna make sure my criticism of people is reasonable and not influenced by politics.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
anyone who writes that much about how much they dislike someone else is worse off than the person they dislike imo

they are also super judgemental, especially about mentally ill people self medicating as well as "publix trash"

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
That person is insufferable and her stupid story is a massive wall of text with no point except publicly shaming her high school friend that obviously suffers from mental illness.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Pththya-lyi posted:

Thanks for this.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

SSNeoman posted:

3) her politics are really loving annoying; like "why isn't there a white history month" sort of poo poo

There is. The other 11 months of the year.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Dejawesp posted:

There is. The other 11 months of the year.

It's almost like there's a reason for black history month, like we take it for granted that history itself in America is seen through white, westernized lenses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ChristopherRobin posted:

It's almost like there's a reason for black history month, like we take it for granted that history itself in America is seen through white, westernized lenses.

Naw it's done purely for their hatred of whitey.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
In :stonk: :wtf: news, more charges have been filed against a Cincinnati area ex-judge for prostitution, giving drugs to minors, and human trafficking. At the time he was first arrested he was in the county school board. 22 victims, 8 of which were minors

Oh, and he was the leader of the local Elect Trump campaign.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/grand-jury-indicts-ex-campbell-county-judge-on-8-more-felony-charges

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Nolan_(politician)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

dr gun

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Got cancer, guess I'll shoot myself?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

this is peak

:golfclap:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Death is the only effective cure-all.

Which is why zombies are actually super healthy.

What if I have more guns than my man has shoes, which he has more than his guns?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 15, 2017

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

I have like 4 pairs of shoes and no guns. Time to go find me a man!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

So if I don't own any guns, but don't want to date men, I should go around barefoot?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Do house slippers or sandals count as shoes? Trying to figure out where I stand here.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
You see, guns are manly and prove your virile and healthy so real men love them!

Why do you keep insulting us by claiming we're using guns to compensate for having tiny tiny dicks!?!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What if all the shoes I own are my own combat boots and the boots of people I killed?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What if my guns are my shoes?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

toanoradian posted:

What if I have more guns than my man has shoes, which he has more than his guns?

Then you are some sort of Republican math problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

Then you are some sort of Republican math problem.
Answer: Cut taxes.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Verisimilidude posted:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/350509-white-house-espn-anchor-that-called-trump-racist-should-be-fired

Eagerly awaiting conservatives to come out in droves to defend Jemele Hill's 1st amendment rights.

I have a friend that unequivocally defended nazi free speech, but was silent about this other than asking how Trump was a white supremacist. So I asked him about why he wasn't outraged about a government official saying someone should be fired for free speech, and suddenly he was all about context and nuance. He also called the protesters of the Ben Shapiro thing at Berkeley triggered snowflakes. I am so close to telling him he obviously doesn't give a poo poo about free speech.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

ChristopherRobin posted:

I have a friend that unequivocally defended nazi free speech, but was silent about this other than asking how Trump was a white supremacist. So I asked him about why he wasn't outraged about a government official saying someone should be fired for free speech, and suddenly he was all about context and nuance. He also called the protesters of the Ben Shapiro thing at Berkeley triggered snowflakes. I am so close to telling him he obviously doesn't give a poo poo about free speech.

I know it's not the mature thing to do, but I'm so sick of poo poo like this that I've basically just moved straight to :sever:. I figure that unless I want to talk about the loving weather, it's impossible to maintain a relationship with someone that is utterly disingenuous about anything of substance.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

ChristopherRobin posted:

Do it. Do it in as public a place as you can, so other people can see his meltdown.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
"Liberal bankers"