Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Nah she wasn't during the actual demo, which was totally legit. All she had on her on the lake was the watch, she even ditched the airpods during rehearsals.

It was kind of interesting how fastidious they were - she went to Lake Tahoe a week ago, and that was after a week of rehearsing the full keynote at the Jobs Theater with Jeff and everyone else involved too. Multiple calls testing optimal watch location and sound quality and cell signal and audio sync... very Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

pzy posted:

Nah she wasn't during the actual demo, which was totally legit. All she had on her on the lake was the watch, she even ditched the airpods during rehearsals.

It was kind of interesting how fastidious they were - she went to Lake Tahoe a week ago, and that was after a week of rehearsing the full keynote at the Jobs Theater with Jeff and everyone else involved too. Multiple calls testing optimal watch location and sound quality and cell signal and audio sync... very Apple

I mean when the FaceID didn't work immediately people freaked the gently caress out even though there was a perfectly reasonable cause for the flub so I can see why they get weird about stuff.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone happen to know if AT&T will add an S3 LTE to the grandfathered unlimited plans? I haven't seen anyone mention them.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Has there been any indication that the Siri watch face will eventually be able to tie in to third party apps?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it worth getting the Series 3 if I am happy with my Series 0? I want to get one, but not getting the 3G version since I am not feeling paying ten bucks a month for a feature I might not use much.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No.

I assume happy with your s0 means you don’t care about waterproofing, and your battery hasn’t gone to poo poo yet.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rirse posted:

Is it worth getting the Series 3 if I am happy with my Series 0? I want to get one, but not getting the 3G version since I am not feeling paying ten bucks a month for a feature I might not use much.

Depends on what you use it for. If you're a runner, probably, yeah. I'm not really sure it's worth upgrading otherwise (and I am a runner but will still just wait until my S0 dies before getting a new one).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rirse posted:

Do you care about a faster processor, brighter screen, GPS independent of your phone, more water resistance and a barometer? Then maybe a discounted series 2 would be a good idea. It’s pretty much the same minus the slower processor and no barometer.

I’m sticking with my 0 for at least another year. It still works great even on WatchOS 4. Battery life is still great too after wearing this every day for the past 2 years.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No.

I assume happy with your s0 means you don’t care about waterproofing, and your battery hasn’t gone to poo poo yet.

My battery still pretty strong at times. I might just wait then.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Rirse posted:

I'll be grabbing a Series 3 to replace my Series 0, it's just a matter of when at this point. I'm not going to pull the trigger right away, but I definitely see me upgrading by March.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pzy posted:

This is awesome, tell me more!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Does anyone happen to know if AT&T will add an S3 LTE to the grandfathered unlimited plans? I haven't seen anyone mention them.

Wait you mean this might NOT be an option? I have held on to my OG unlimited plans and don't plan on giving them up on principle.

I haven't tried to sign up for number sync on my unlimited iPad, but maybe I should?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can't add or change ANYTHING about a grandfathered unlimited plan without losing it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

But the watch is an add on. It doesn't change your plan does it?

I mean I have moved my iPad unlimited data between like four or five iPads and never lost it. Ditto iPhone upgrades. Can't you add a watch as an add on without changing your underlying plan?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Store’s back up, order placed. Kinda dumb to wake up at 3am just for a watch but hey, I’m an idiot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the barometer is responsive and accurate enough to track ski descents then I will probably pick up a non-LTE 3 before long. I'd like to see some hands-on reviews from people testing that though, it requires a higher refresh rate than climbing/hiking.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Snagged my SBSS S3 in about a hot minute through the iOS app. I almost got it through AT&T because their store opened early at 11:55, but they tried to add a $40/mo device access fee (which I probably won't use anyways) so I promptly said gently caress that. Time to put the SBSS S2 up on craigslist!

Bleh, I am not digging the red dot on the dial. Maybe I'll get one of those black replacement watch dots and cover up the eye sore.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 15, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I don't think there is a reason to keep the AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan anymore. They offer an unlimited plan now for the same price with 10gb free mobile hotspot tethering, unlimited canada and Mexico service.

Oh and you can use the poo poo like international day plan which is awesome it's $10 a day to use your unlimited poo poo anywhere. I'm in Italy on a train right now, never had to give a gently caress about finding a SIM card and topping up and all that bullshit.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 16, 2017

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I ordered a cellular model. This will be my first smart watch, hopefully replacing my old Garmin for everyday running. My secondary hope is it means I have to pull my phone out less, but we shall see if it ends up feeling like less or more of a distraction.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
The announcement of the new apple watches has reminded me that I own one. I literally never use it because wearing an apple watch silences notifications on my phone. Has this changed or can it be disabled yet? Most of the time I'm sitting at my deck with my phone in front of me so it's more inconvenient to raise my wrist up rather than glance over at my phone when I receive a notification.

Mine is an S0 and I wouldn't mind getting a S3 or S2 for GPS so I can track my bike rides without killing my phone battery, but it's hard to justify spending money on a new one when the above functionality means I just never use it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Phthisis posted:

The announcement of the new apple watches has reminded me that I own one. I literally never use it because wearing an apple watch silences notifications on my phone. Has this changed or can it be disabled yet? Most of the time I'm sitting at my deck with my phone in front of me so it's more inconvenient to raise my wrist up rather than glance over at my phone when I receive a notification.

Mine is an S0 and I wouldn't mind getting a S3 or S2 for GPS so I can track my bike rides without killing my phone battery, but it's hard to justify spending money on a new one when the above functionality means I just never use it.

You don’t get notifications on your watch if you have your phone unlocked.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Does the cellular Series 3 improve the accuracy of run tracking or anything like that? I'm interested in picking up an Apple Watch so that I can track my runs without lugging my iPhone along but if the GPS-only version (or, even better, a discounted Series 2), does everything I need, that's totally fine. I've not kept up on what does what and the cellular features are muddying the info a little. Would a Series 2 still mark my route on a map if I left my phone at home?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

rage-saq posted:

You don’t get notifications on your watch if you have your phone unlocked.

This is kind of the opposite of my problem, though.

As it is, my phone is sitting on a stand by my work computer, and every time I get a new notification, the screen wakes up which I see through peripheral vision and then can glance over and see what the notification is, without moving anything except my eyes. If I have my apple watch on, when I get a notification, my phone does nothing, but I get the tap on my wrist and I either have to raise my wrist to my face or reach over and wake my phone to see what the notification is.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tenterhooks posted:

Does the cellular Series 3 improve the accuracy of run tracking or anything like that? I'm interested in picking up an Apple Watch so that I can track my runs without lugging my iPhone along but if the GPS-only version (or, even better, a discounted Series 2), does everything I need, that's totally fine. I've not kept up on what does what and the cellular features are muddying the info a little. Would a Series 2 still mark my route on a map if I left my phone at home?

S3 has a barometric altimeter, which should increase the accuracy of run tracking. I don't think the cellular does anything for that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Phthisis posted:

This is kind of the opposite of my problem, though.

As it is, my phone is sitting on a stand by my work computer, and every time I get a new notification, the screen wakes up which I see through peripheral vision and then can glance over and see what the notification is, without moving anything except my eyes. If I have my apple watch on, when I get a notification, my phone does nothing, but I get the tap on my wrist and I either have to raise my wrist to my face or reach over and wake my phone to see what the notification is.

It sounds like you always want to get notifications on your phone. I'm not sure why you want an apple watch if that is the case, thats kind of a huge part of the point of the device.
That being said I the per-app notifications settings in the watch app on the phone allows you to customize which alerts get sent to your watch if your phone is locked and which always get sent to your phone which might be what you are looking for.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 15, 2017

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

rage-saq posted:

It sounds like you always want to get notifications on your phone. I'm not sure why you want an apple watch if that is the case, thats kind of a huge part of the point of the device.
That being said I the per-app notifications settings in the watch app on the phone allows you to customize which alerts get sent to your watch if your phone is locked and which always get sent to your phone which might be what you are looking for.

Yes, I do always want to get notifications on my phone. And I'm also not really sure why that conflicts with the purpose of an apple watch. The purpose of a smart watch is to get notifications on your wrist, not to get notifications *only* on your wrist, in my opinion. I want to get notifications on my wrist because I am not always sitting at my desk. Like, I suppose I could get the functionality I want by removing my watch while I am at my desk, but that seems kind of ridiculous, especially since I do want it on when I get up to go talk to a coworker or get coffee or something. I dunno, I don't think my desired use case seems at all unreasonable, and I'm a little surprised that it doesn't exist. As you said, you can set notifications to go to either the phone or watch on an application-by-application basis, so I don't really see why it can't be a one-or-both thing. It's not like the notifications aren't showing up on the phone; the apple watch is just disabling the alert associated with them.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

That being said I think the per-app notifications settings in the watch app on the phone allows you to customize which alerts get sent to your watch and which get sent to your phone which might be what you are looking for. I'm not entirely sure as I haven't messed with it, maybe try it out?

You can manage this on an app by app basis. For instance I receive all of my text messages on my Watch, but Instagram and NYT notifications only show up on my phone.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Phthisis posted:

Yes, I do always want to get notifications on my phone. And I'm also not really sure why that conflicts with the purpose of an apple watch. The purpose of a smart watch is to get notifications on your wrist, not to get notifications *only* on your wrist, in my opinion. I want to get notifications on my wrist because I am not always sitting at my desk. Like, I suppose I could get the functionality I want by removing my watch while I am at my desk, but that seems kind of ridiculous, especially since I do want it on when I get up to go talk to a coworker or get coffee or something. I dunno, I don't think my desired use case seems at all unreasonable, and I'm a little surprised that it doesn't exist. As you said, you can set notifications to go to either the phone or watch on an application-by-application basis, so I don't really see why it can't be a one-or-both thing. It's not like the notifications aren't showing up on the phone; the apple watch is just disabling the alert associated with them.

Ah, you want both. Yeah, I guess they haven't added that yet. I read on the internet and found a super hacky way that works, if you go to watch.app and go to passcode and disable wrist detection a notification will show up on both, BUT, it disables auto-unlock with iPhone AND auto-lock when you take it off your wrist. I agree this should be a configurable option.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Ah, you want both. Yeah, I guess they haven't added that yet. I read on the internet and found a super hacky way that works, if you go to watch.app and go to passcode and disable wrist detection a notification will show up on both, BUT, it disables auto-unlock with iPhone AND auto-lock when you take it off your wrist. I agree this should be a configurable option.

Yeah that's a little too hacky for my taste.

I was really shocked to find out that the apple watch can't do this, especially after finding the app-specific configurations. If you could toggle app notifications on both the watch and phone I'd be on board with the apple watch so hard.

I would really like to pick up one of the GPS-enabled apple watches so I can get around to tracking my bike rides without killing my phone battery, but even though I generally like a lot of the features of the apple watch, there's just enough inconveniences like this notification issue that keep me from being comfortable jumping on it. It's just toeing the line between a device I want and something I don't and that is frustrating.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My S0 tracks my walks / runs when I have my phone in my pocket via my phone's GPS. With an S2/3; will it do the same even without the phone?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sock The Great posted:

My S0 tracks my walks / runs when I have my phone in my pocket via my phone's GPS. With an S2/3; will it do the same even without the phone?

Yes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m sticking with my 0 for at least another year. It still works great even on WatchOS 4. Battery life is still great too after wearing this every day for the past 2 years.

I am pretty curious about what is causing some people's S0 battery life to fall so much while others have no issues.

It could be partially based on temperature. I know that there's a line of thought in electric cars that, for example, cold weather can affect battery health over the long term, although it's hard to tell how substantiated these claims are.

In any case, my S0 battery is still going strong as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My S0 is still perfect and honestly I have no idea what apple could add to make upgrading compelling. It does everything I want it to do (which isn't much, but it's good at what little there is)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Using (ok opening) apps on a S0 feels incredibly slow nowadays. I mean, like 80% of my use is for Siri and notifications / replying to messages, but when I do want to use an app it just grinds to a halt as I wait for it to load.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Using (ok opening) apps on a S0 feels incredibly slow nowadays. I mean, like 80% of my use is for Siri and notifications / replying to messages, but when I do want to use an app it just grinds to a halt as I wait for it to load.

You don't keep the apps you use in the dock so they're always loaded?

edit: full disclosure, I don't use any apps except for Now Playing and Messages sometimes. It's all notifications and siri for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My S0 is still perfect and honestly I have no idea what apple could add to make upgrading compelling. It does everything I want it to do (which isn't much, but it's good at what little there is)

The main thing that would compel me to upgrade would be vastly increased battery life or more health sensors.

How feasible would more health sensors be in the near future?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

The main thing that would compel me to upgrade would be vastly increased battery life or more health sensors.

I had read early on that they intended to have more sensors but then regulation and certification of that stuff got in the way, not to mention potential liability.

edit: No idea how true that is though

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

rage-saq posted:

S3 has a barometric altimeter, which should increase the accuracy of run tracking. I don't think the cellular does anything for that.

The barometric altimeter isn't going to do poo poo to improve the Gps accuracy. It's tough getting a good quality Gps antenna in a small package and it's one place Apple is willing to sacrifice performance compared to someone like Garmin where Gps is their bread and butter.

From what I've seen, Apple watches are fine for distance/average pace, but if you are training to the point where tenths of a mile or 10s of seconds average pace error makes a difference then you should get a Garmin or Polar watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

I am pretty curious about what is causing some people's S0 battery life to fall so much while others have no issues.

It could be partially based on temperature. I know that there's a line of thought in electric cars that, for example, cold weather can affect battery health over the long term, although it's hard to tell how substantiated these claims are.

In any case, my S0 battery is still going strong as well.

I'd love to know as well. My battery really took a poo poo and I've been limping along for the past few months.

Also a lot of the apps like stravia run like poo poo. I literally have to hold my wrist up for a few seconds before it registers and shows me my pace and distance. :sad:

If the battery hadn't taken a poo poo then I probably would have kept this thing for another year even if the apps are slow.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just found out that stainless steel is only offered in the GPS + cellular configuration. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
[quote="“resident”" post="“476434619”"]
The barometric altimeter isn’t going to do poo poo to improve the Gps accuracy. It’s tough getting a good quality Gps antenna in a small package and it’s one place Apple is willing to sacrifice performance compared to someone like Garmin where Gps is their bread and butter.

From what I’ve seen, Apple watches are fine for distance/average pace, but if you are training to the point where tenths of a mile or 10s of seconds average pace error makes a difference then you should get a Garmin or Polar watch.
[/quote]

The barometric altimeter hives you more accurate elevation changes, but yes GPS accuracy is the same.

[quote="“SeANMcBAY”" post="“476434471”"]

[/quote]

The S2 has more than double the battery life as the S0 for the same use case. I can get almost 3 full days with my S2.

enojy posted:

Just found out that stainless steel is only offered in the GPS + cellular configuration. hosed up.

At the same price it’s always been offered.

• Locked thread