Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Joint first: NW best as part of a series and SG best standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DontMockMySmock posted:

They're my top two and I can never decide what order they should be in.

You can't use Night Watch to lure in new readers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Small gods is an atypically bad entry in the series in addition to being almost totally disconnected from the rest of the Discworld stories.

Neither it nor Night Watch are good entries in the series. Night Watch has too much baggage.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Small gods is an atypically bad entry in the series in addition to being almost totally disconnected from the rest of the Discworld stories.

That doesn't make it a bad thing per say.
A lot of the better books are completely disconnected from each other with only Discworld as the common framework.
The Death series and RinceWind can be read as complete stand-alones (except Colour/Light, which is really one book).
One example is Monstrous Regiment, and while having Vimes in it, he is just a side-character to the whole show.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know Night Watch is usually the winner by acclamation but I will go to my grave believing that Small Gods was the absolute peak of Discworld

As I read it a second time last month I noticed two bits where I had to turn back a few pages and think "wait, what, did the writer just forget where he was going with this?" which is weird because his other books of the time usually only had one.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Small gods is an atypically bad entry

That's the first time I've seen a pratchett fan who dislikes SG, what don't you like about it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dirty Frank posted:

That's the first time I've seen a pratchett fan who dislikes SG, what don't you like about it?

He came to shitpost, not to explain himself.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Segway Rave posted:

Read his short story in Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy, then stop.

Hey, I've never heard of this! Awesome.

e: And she was married. Nanny had nothing against witches being married. It wasn't as if there were rules. She herself had had many husbands, and had even been married to three of them.

Man, I love Nanny Ogg.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 15, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Syncopated posted:

Hey, I've never heard of this! Awesome.

e: And she was married. Nanny had nothing against witches being married. It wasn't as if there were rules. She herself had had many husbands, and had even been married to three of them.

Man, I love Nanny Ogg.

So did many others.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

Brutha isn't particularly interesting as far as discworld pov characters go, and doesn't have anyone particularly developed to bounce off of either. It feels like a book that's all B-plot - a lot of Discworld books have really memorable lines but I really can't think of any from Small Gods off the top of my head.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 16, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thou Shalt Not Expose Thy God To Market Forces

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tunicate posted:

Brutha isn't particularly interesting as far as discworld pov characters go, and doesn't have anyone particularly developed to bounce off of either. It feels like a book that's all B-plot - a lot of Discworld books have really memorable lines but I really can't think of any from Small Gods off the top of my head.

"COOOEEEEE!"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

“Just because you can explain it doesn't mean it's not still a miracle.”

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
"I'm talking about the people throwing the stones. They were sure all right. They were sure it wasn't them in the pit. You could see it in their faces. So glad it wan't them in the pit that they were throwing just as hard as they could."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
"We are here and it is now. The way I see it is, after that, everything tends towards guesswork."

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
i've always been partial to

quote:

YOU HAVE PERHAPS HEARD THE PHRASE, he said, THAT HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE?
‘Yes. Yes, of course.’
Death nodded. IN TIME, he said, YOU WILL LEARN THAT IT IS WRONG.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

quote:

There were no lies here. All fancies fled away. That’s what happened in all deserts. It was just you, and what you believed.

What have I always believed?

That on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out all right.

You couldn’t get that on a banner. But the desert looked better already.

Words to live by.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

“Slave is an Ephebian word. In Om we have no word for slave,” said Vorbis.
“So I understand,” said the Tyrant. “I imagine that fish have no word for water.”

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The moment when Om hits Vorbis in the face at the end of the book and people start really believing gives me chills just thinking about it. Might be my favorite ending of all the books? Idk.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Syncopated posted:

The moment when Om hits Vorbis in the face at the end of the book and people start really believing gives me chills just thinking about it. Might be my favorite ending of all the books? Idk.

He doesn't hit Vorbis?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

He doesn't hit Vorbis?

Om gets the eagle to drop him directly on Vorbis, killing him.

"There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

What's the best way to get the UK version of the audio books in the US?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Om gets the eagle to drop him directly on Vorbis, killing him.

Oh yeah Om not Brutha. I am read good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

idonotlikepeas posted:

"We are here, and it is now."

Words to live by.

Also, I'm also a huge fan of the epilogue. I don't have the exact quote handy but specifically the part where Brutha asks Death what's at the end of the desert, and Death says JUDGEMENT, and Brutha asks "Which end?" God drat, that's good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Words to live by.

Also, I'm also a huge fan of the epilogue. I don't have the exact quote handy but specifically the part where Brutha asks Death what's at the end of the desert, and Death says JUDGEMENT, and Brutha asks "Which end?" God drat, that's good.

And then he finds the man who tortured him, takes pity on him and they walk through the desert together:unsmith:

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Always makes me sad when ppl recommend skipping TCOM and TLF. They were the only two discworld books released when I started my love for Pratchett and I still think they are rollicking., fun adventure stories. Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are still my favourite characters.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrawmanUK posted:

Always makes me sad when ppl recommend skipping TCOM and TLF. They were the only two discworld books released when I started my love for Pratchett and I still think they are rollicking., fun adventure stories. Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage are still my favourite characters.

Some people are just pretentious and insist that a Pratchett book should hold some higher meaning, which color/light lacks and are thus bad, which is a bad opinion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiac posted:

Some people are just pretentious and insist that a Pratchett book should hold some higher meaning, which color/light lacks and are thus bad, which is a bad opinion.

I just found them boring. :shrug:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I haven't seen anyone throughout this entire thread say that the first two books lack higher meaning, just that they lack the style and sense of living world that made Pratchett popular. They're enjoyable books, it's just really clear that they were a direct satire of the fantasy books Pratchett was into.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

quote:

"'So we rush them then?' said Simony. 'I'm sure of - maybe four hundred on our side. So I give the signal and a few hundred of us attack thousands of them? And he dies anyway and we die too? What difference does that make?'

Urn's face was grey with horror now.

'You mean you don't know?' he said.

Some of the crowd looked round curiously at him.

'You don't know?' he said. "

To this day that last line stops me flat.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

If you haven't read a bunch of 60-70 fantasy they aren't all that good, best saved for when you're already hooked.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

StrawmanUK posted:

They were written before Pratchett settled into his usual rollicking style. However they are still great if only because of how relentlessly Pratchett tortures Rincewind. And it all kind of turns out okay at the end! The end of the TCOM is such a great cliffhanger. :D

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiac posted:

Also, why the hell does people keep on insisting they should start reading at Night Watch?
The drop in quality in this series happens in Jingo.

The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud! are among the best Discworld books written and I will not hear otherwise.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I've never read any of Pratchett's stuff but would like to give it a go. Which is the best book to start out on?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rozzbot posted:

I've never read any of Pratchett's stuff but would like to give it a go. Which is the best book to start out on?

I'd start on either Wyrd Sisters or Guards! Guards! Both are great stories and they're early enough in publishing order to get a sense of the parody-ish aspect without it being the main thing they're doing.

But really start wherever takes your fancy, don't overthink it. In general it doesn't matter if you start in the middle of one of the sub-series*. There are recurring characters and locations, but each book is mostly its own self-contained thing so it's not really a problem to pick up wherever and then go read the earlier books with those characters**. Personally, I think Night Watch might lost some of its impact if you hadn't read some of the earlier guards books first.

I started with Witches Abroad, then read Men At Arms, then Soul Music was on the "just published" stand at the library so I grabbed that next. None of those are the starts of sub-series, and while I wouldn't recommend them (except maybe Men At Arms) as first discworld books, it's not like they'd put you off the series.

* The exception is the Tiffany Aching stories, which have much more of a continuing-series feel to them.

** You might spoil a surprise or two if you do this. I've read these books enough times that I'm not even sure. If so, it'd probably be minor.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 18, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rozzbot posted:

Don't start with any of the Tiffany Aching books* or The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents unless you're like 10, and don't start with Monstrous Regiment because it's a bit on the boring side. Other than that :shrug:

*) The Wee Free Men - 2003
A Hat Full of Sky - 2004
Wintersmith - 2006
I Shall Wear Midnight - 2010
The Shepherd's Crown - 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you really like the Hitchhiker's guide books, then start with The Colour of Magic / Light Fantastic, which are similarly a series of wacky incidents.

Otherwise, Guards Guards is a good choice.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Yeah, i agree with all above it makes sense to start at a subseries beginning.
Death series is good and doesn't really spoil much for the other series

It really depends what you like.
Fan of police procedure? Watch serial is best.
Prefer female centric, witches and mythical creatures?witches series
Like wizards being idiots? Rincewinds series for you

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Eh. Russell Brand and the 5th Doctor.

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/909702383235735552

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That couldn't more clearly be Bill Nighy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

no wonder Crowley's upset about the world ending after he spent 5988 years waiting for his style to come along.