Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Worked! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm thinking of applying to the Chase Ink to get the 80,000 UR. Anyone here has a referral link they would like me to use?
I have a CSR, Freedom UR, and Freedom if anyone wants to be referred.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Animal posted:

I'm thinking of applying to the Chase Ink to get the 80,000 UR. Anyone here has a referral link they would like me to use?
I have a CSR, Freedom UR, and Freedom if anyone wants to be referred.

PMed!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
When you apply for a Chase Business Card, make sure to set the business type to "Sole Proprietor" and use your own SS. Chase will check in to verify the businesses sometimes.

Just say that you sell things on Ebay and want to keep the costs separate and you will be fine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When you apply for a Chase Business Card, make sure to set the business type to "Sole Proprietor" and use your own SS. Chase will check in to verify the businesses sometimes.

Just say that you sell things on Ebay and want to keep the costs separate and you will be fine.

Thanks thats good to know. Turns out I'll have to wait till December 23 to apply as I'm sitting right on 5/24. Unless store cards dont count for the 5/24? One of the cards is a Microcenter card. Can anyone confirm?

Animal fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 13, 2017

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Animal posted:

Thanks thats good to know. Turns out I'll have to wait till December 23 to apply as I'm sitting right on 5/24. Unless store cards dont count for the 5/24? One of the cards is a Microcenter card. Can anyone confirm?

It counts if Chase can see if on your credit report.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

asur posted:

It counts if Chase can see if on your credit report.

I think they count for automatic approval, but you can call Chase's reconsideration line they can ignore store cards and approve you anyways.

Doctor of credit says they only count if they can be used outside of that store. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/#Do_store_cards_count_towards_the_limit

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've switched my travel from Delta to American. Is there any reason to hold on to my Delta Amex or Amex PRG? I've mainly been using my Chase Reserve.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Just an FYI if this is useful to anyone:

The Barclay Arrival Card is no longer going to be offered to the general public starting next week. It will be publicly available again sometime soon, but with a different (reduced) sign-on bonus.

Current bonus is no annual fee for the first year and $525 ($500 bonus and then a $25 bonus for the first time you redeem points) after spending $4,000 in 3 months.

Very good bonus and only available for a few more days.

Can the $500 be cashed out or only can be used toward travel? If the latter, has anyone tried booking something refundable through Expedia and cancelling it and keeping the credit?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TraderStav posted:

Can the $500 be cashed out or only can be used toward travel? If the latter, has anyone tried booking something refundable through Expedia and cancelling it and keeping the credit?

Yes, you can cash it out as a statement credit.

No idea about the second point. But some card issuers will clawback bonuses if you get chargebacks/refunds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yes, you can cash it out as a statement credit.

No idea about the second point. But some card issuers will clawback bonuses if you get chargebacks/refunds.

Thanks. Chase let me keep my travel credits last year when I did it FWIW.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Cashing out as a statement credit takes 2x the points. Redeeming agains travel expenses is 1 cent a point.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I fly Hawaiian Airlines all the time (like 2-3x a week round trips) so I use a Hawaiian Airlines BOH Mastercard. Is that worth it over the CSR?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

asur posted:

Cashing out as a statement credit takes 2x the points. Redeeming agains travel expenses is 1 cent a point.

Ah, so it'll be a $250 statement credit bonus?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Ah, so it'll be a $250 statement credit bonus?

It is if you can’t use it for travel. In the past the definition of travel has been pretty broad and included things like
Metro/subway expenses-there’s a list on flyertalk of what works and what doesn’t. Be aware of the $100 minimum.

You can also do the refundable ticket/hotel room trick.

Not sure why anyone would use the card these days outside of the sign-up bonus given the existence of no
AF 1.5-2% cards, but they’ve given me $1000 in sign up bonuses over two cards so far so I guess I can’t complain too much

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have an AMEX Everyday CC. It has 0% APR for 12 months.

I don't care too much about that since I like to pay my card's full balance for peace of mind, but I'm curious: does not paying my full balance impact my credit score, even if it's 0% APR?

I understand that I shouldn't go over 30% utilization, and having unpaid balance eats into that, but for the question's purposes assume that won't be an issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what's the current working model for manufacturing spend if I don't want cash back? I was doing a lot through giftcardmall but they have long since banned me.

Looking to target minimum spends on a few select cards (Barclay Arrival for one) and $3k on two cards (wife also) will be a stretch for us right now. Already had our big ticket items accounted for for a while.

Are there certain $500 gift cards you can buy in person that can be turned into money orders at Walmart or have those local options dried up?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ever since Amex canceled my Serve card, I've been out of the game

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have an AMEX Everyday CC. It has 0% APR for 12 months.

I don't care too much about that since I like to pay my card's full balance for peace of mind, but I'm curious: does not paying my full balance impact my credit score, even if it's 0% APR?

I understand that I shouldn't go over 30% utilization, and having unpaid balance eats into that, but for the question's purposes assume that won't be an issue.

It will impact your score just slightly. It shouldn't trigger anything beyond a small increase in utilization.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I've switched my travel from Delta to American. Is there any reason to hold on to my Delta Amex or Amex PRG? I've mainly been using my Chase Reserve.

Closed the Delta amex. Are there any good Amex offers, or should I just hold on to the PRG?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Residency Evil posted:

Closed the Delta amex. Are there any good Amex offers, or should I just hold on to the PRG?

I have an amex referral code for a platinum for anyone who wants one -- 60,000 Membership Rewards after $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Disclaimer: I'll get 15k points for it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

60k is the standard offer; you should be able to get 75k or 100k from visiting their pages in incognito mode over time

e:ditch that PRG after your current cardmember year is up and get an Amex Everyday if you want a no-af card that'll keep your MR points alive

astral fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 17, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Closed out my CSR today after some 11 months of ownership. Final rewards tally:

-$836 cash directly to checking account to close out remaining Ultimate Rewards balance
-$750 (approximation) in airfare and and other travel expenses, paid out from UR points on a 1.5x ratio.
-$100 credit for Global Entry application fee
-$600 in travel credits, $300 of which were redeemed in 2016 mostly on commuting (public transit) costs and $300 in 2017 on travel costs including rental car and other transit costs.

Total benefits: ~$2,250.

Total fees paid: $450

Net benefits: ~$1800

Total spend over 11 month period: Approximately $7,400.

Net rewards return as % of spend: ~24%

Verdict: 100k UR signup bonus was an awesome deal.

e: fixed some stuff

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 18, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Freedom bonus for next quarter is Wal-Mart and department stores.

Maybe I will close it after all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Closed out my CSR today after some 11 months of ownership. Final rewards tally:

-$836 cash directly to checking account to close out remaining Ultimate Rewards balance
-$1000 (approximation) in airfare and and other travel expenses, paid out from UR points on a 1.5x ratio.
-$100 credit for Global Entry application fee
-$600 in travel credits, $300 of which were redeemed in 2016 mostly on commuting (public transit) costs and $300 in 2017 on travel costs including rental car and other transit costs.

Total benefits: ~$2,500.

Total fees paid: $450

Net benefits: ~$2050

Total spend over 11 month period: Approximately $7,400.

Net rewards return as % of spend: ~28%

Verdict: Awesome deal.

The CSR is the gold standard that will rarely come again. It's the whale you gotta be ready to jump on. Similar numbers here, x2 since my wife has one also. Closing hers out in December when the travel credits refresh as her renewal isn't until March.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Make sure to product change the CSR rather than closing it; if you don't have both a freedom and freedom unlimited you can change it to one of those (or you could always change it to a second freedom for double the 5x bonus limit).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TraderStav posted:

The CSR is the gold standard that will rarely come again. It's the whale you gotta be ready to jump on. Similar numbers here, x2 since my wife has one also. Closing hers out in December when the travel credits refresh as her renewal isn't until March.

Yeah, it was really an awesome deal. Glad I didn't hesitate too long and miss the ride. Feel a bit bad for the poor customer service people tasked with retention, but not too bad.

quote:

Make sure to product change the CSR rather than closing it; if you don't have both a freedom and freedom unlimited you can change it to one of those (or you could always change it to a second freedom for double the 5x bonus limit).

Too late for me, though I am planning to get the signup bonus for the Freedom down the road.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

astral posted:

What's the advantage with that? I have a freedom with her as an AU. Not the unlimited though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

What's the advantage with that? I have a freedom with her as an AU. Not the unlimited though.

Freedom Unlimited gives you 1.5x UR on everyday spending, which depending on how much you value the points could be more or less than a 2% cashback card.

Or, as mentioned, if you get a second freedom you have two times the 5% category caps.

Credit score wise it boosts your amount of available credit, contributes to your average age of accounts, etc.

Chase bank wise it probably helps that they don't see you opening an account and then closing it after a year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

astral posted:

Credit score wise it boosts your amount of available credit
Chase can just move the available credit to another card if someone is really worried about minmaxing their score. I just moved my available credit from my CSR to my Amazon and Freedom cards before closing it so as not to impact my overall utilization ratio. I'll likely do the same when/if I close my Freedom, assuming they'll let me push an Amazon card's limit past the $50,000 mark.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Chase can just move the available credit to another card if someone is really worried about minmaxing their score. I just moved my available credit from my CSR to my Amazon and Freedom cards before closing it so as not to impact my overall utilization ratio. I'll likely do the same when/if I close my Freedom, assuming they'll let me push an Amazon card's limit past the $50,000 mark.

Sure, for available credit. However, after ten years one fewer account may still have an adverse affect on your average age of credit depending on your amount/age of other cards.

p.s. Giving up the Freedom would be tantamount to heresy!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Freedom bonus for next quarter is Wal-Mart and department stores.

Maybe I will close it after all.

That's some bullshit. I'm guessing it's to pressure people into getting their Amazon Prime card. I feel like they cheated me off of 7,500 UR, I even had $1,500 worth of camera gear on my Amazon cart I was waiting to buy with the Freedom.

I guess I could head to Walmart and buy $1,500 worth of Amazon gift cards?

Do they even sell them?

Animal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 18, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Animal posted:

That's some bullshit. I'm guessing it's to pressure people into getting their Amazon Prime card. I feel like they cheated me off of 7,500 UR, I even had $1,500 worth of camera gear on my Amazon cart I was waiting to buy with the Freedom.

I guess I could head to Walmart and buy $1,500 worth of Amazon gift cards?

Do they even sell them?

They do.

Wal-Mart.com also sells giftcards that you can buy.

Discover IT is 5% (10% in first year) back at Target and Amazon. Target runs "10% off Target Gift Card Sales" during the Holidays, so if you want to maximize the value buy a bunch of Target Gift Cards at 10% off with a Discover IT and get 10% cashback on that.

Then, buy some stuff in person at Target with Amazon Gift Cards in the pile. Some Target registers are hard coded to not allow you to purchase ONLY gift cards with Target gift cards, but if you have some other stuff it's fine.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Went ahead and applied and was approved for the new BofA Travel Premium card. Best I can tell I'll get the annual fee back in travel credits and I get additional bonus spend on top of the standard BofA Travel card so win-win for me.

Plus, once I close and consolidate my other BofA card into this one I'll be juuust shy of having a full 100k line on one of my cards.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They do.

Wal-Mart.com also sells giftcards that you can buy.

Discover IT is 5% (10% in first year) back at Target and Amazon. Target runs "10% off Target Gift Card Sales" during the Holidays, so if you want to maximize the value buy a bunch of Target Gift Cards at 10% off with a Discover IT and get 10% cashback on that.

Then, buy some stuff in person at Target with Amazon Gift Cards in the pile. Some Target registers are hard coded to not allow you to purchase ONLY gift cards with Target gift cards, but if you have some other stuff it's fine.

but but but my UR points :cry:

j/k I'm definitely gonna jump on that racket. I haven't used my Discover It in like 3 years.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Does target sell amazon gift cards in person? They don't appear on their website. This would greatly simplify christmas shopping, because I genuinely don't feel bad about giving amazon gift cards to people who aren't my girlfriend.

I might sign up for discover IT later next month to double dip on q4 bonus. I'll probably pm you or post here to get a referral link because no one I know has the card. Chase Freedom's bonus categories aren't as appealing, although walmart is fine q4 it's the other 3 quarters and discover IT's 20%-25% bonus redemption if you do gcs that really make it appealing.

Also, chase freedom has referral links but they just give the person referring you $100 and you nothing. Kind of weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Khorne posted:

Does target sell amazon gift cards in person? They don't appear on their website. This would greatly simplify christmas shopping, because I genuinely don't feel bad about giving amazon gift cards to people who aren't my girlfriend.

I might sign up for discover IT later next month to double dip on q4 bonus. I'll probably pm you or post here to get a referral link because no one I know has the card. Chase Freedom's bonus categories aren't as appealing, although walmart is fine q4 it's the other 3 quarters and discover IT's 20%-25% bonus redemption if you do gcs that really make it appealing.

They usually do. Major outlets like Home Depot, Target, Walmart/Sam's Club, and Lowe's all usually have a "Gift Card Mall" rack with a variety of different gift cards.

The cards they offer vary by location, but they usually have "the big" ones - Amazon, Google Play, Netflix, Xbox/PSN, Shell/Exxon, Starbucks, and McDonalds.

When I had my 10% bonus category as "Home Improvement" I stacked a Discover Deal for a bunch of Shell and Amazon Gift Cards at Lowe's.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Khorne posted:

Also, chase freedom has referral links but they just give the person referring you $100 and you nothing. Kind of weird.

Here's my link if you want to start a chain:

https://refer.discover.com/s/ri4aj

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a mailer for a promotion the Barclays Commence is doing (its the re branded Sallie Mae card).

$10 bonus cash back each for October, November, and December if you spend $1,500 each month. $50 bonus on top of that if you hit $1,500 each month. They really want people to use their lovely card I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got a mailer for a promotion the Barclays Commence is doing (its the re branded Sallie Mae card).

$10 bonus cash back each for October, November, and December if you spend $1,500 each month. $50 bonus on top of that if you hit $1,500 each month. They really want people to use their lovely card I guess.

I haven't even activated the stupid Commerce they sent me months ago after the switch from Sallie Mae.