Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What is the YouTube channel or anything posted of the Metallica music videos where they replace the audio literally in sync with what is being played on screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

What is the YouTube channel or anything posted of the Metallica music videos where they replace the audio literally in sync with what is being played on screen?

I can't find any Metallica videos but do you mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkhIjG0DKc

This dude also does a bunch of musicless musicvideos but no Metallica there either.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 13, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ineptmule posted:

I have colleagues overseas in USA using UK Phones. To avoid excessive roaming charges they have bought AT&T SIMs at their location.

When they put them in their UK phones, they get 3G/4G coverage status indications but are unable to make any calls.

I've done a bit of research but it's difficult to find information that's not about using a USA number when overseas and I need info for the other way round. This is quite an urgent issue as I need to have suggestions for how to fix it when they wake up in a few hours time.

Does anyone have any experience setting up new AT&T phone lines, or of using an AT&T SIM in a UK phone?

Edit: These are unlocked UK iPhones which were working at the team's current location while they had their UK SIMs in.

AT&T prepaid SIMs are SIM locked to the prepaid phone/AT&T locked phones. So if that's how they got this SIM they need to go to an AT&T store. They can (probably will) reissue a SIM that is not locked on the same prepaid account.

If they urgently need working SIMs any number of big box stores have a number of MVNO choices that will not have this problem - Cricket, Republic, etc. The SIMs can be bought and activated in minutes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks guys. They got the connections sorted at an AT&T store and it sounded pretty painless.

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the status of time machine technology? Is anyone of any ability currently working on anything? Have there been any advancements made recently?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lil Devil posted:

What is the status of time machine technology? Is anyone of any ability currently working on anything? Have there been any advancements made recently?

Forward time travel is possible but we aren't anywhere near being able to move that fast.

Backward is still impossible without moving faster than the speed of light, which we still can't do and have no ideas on accomplishing outside of wormholes that theoretically could exist but have not and likely will not be proven to do so, or warp drive ideas that require all the entire energy of the universe to work or the invention/discovery of negative mass. The idea of a "time machine" has been pretty much abandoned by the world at large because the idea of "time travel" has not yet even been proven to be a feasible option in real, non-theoretical space.

Anyways, the real reason I opened this thread is cause it seems like everyone's talking about how North Korea and America are gonna blow up the world or something. Is there something different about this time than any other temper tantrum they've had? Is it just because Trump's in the white house and people are panicking about everything that happens now?

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
The fact that NK now have nuclear weapons is a pretty significant part of it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Lil Devil posted:

Given the context, what do you mean by "recently"?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lil Devil posted:

It's physically impossible to go back in time. As far as I understand, to do so you'd have to go faster than light, which we know to be impossible.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Lil Devil posted:

Time travelling forward is difficult to engineer but perfectly theoretically sound. We have one; from memory I believe the astronaut who has spend the most time on the ISS technically traveled about 1/50th of a second forward in time relative to us earthlings. It's just a matter of going really fast (compared to a 'stationary' object like Earth) and back again.

Backward time travel seems fundamentally impossible at the moment. Like some posters mention it seems you'd need to go faster than light, but I'd take that with a grain of salt considering that that seems to be fundamentally impossible as well and it might just be a case of trying to extrapolate a formula outside of the bounds it is meant to operate in (so meaningless).

Caufman
May 7, 2007
How did those guys in Primer travel through time? They just got into a box and made an incomprehensible movie.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Following up on the foot spa question are those dr. Scholls machines a gimmick or legit? I tried to find something on it and there's a ton of conflicting information out there.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Caufman posted:

How did those guys in Primer travel through time? They just got into a box and made an incomprehensible movie.

No, you don't understand. The mould. The mould.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Following up on the foot spa question are those dr. Scholls machines a gimmick or legit? I tried to find something on it and there's a ton of conflicting information out there.

Have you tried just soaking your feet in Epsom salts?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Namarrgon posted:

Time travelling forward is difficult to engineer but perfectly theoretically sound. We have one; from memory I believe the astronaut who has spend the most time on the ISS technically traveled about 1/50th of a second forward in time relative to us earthlings. It's just a matter of going really fast (compared to a 'stationary' object like Earth) and back again.

Going fast slows time down for you. Astronauts on the ISS aren't going forward in time, they're aging slower.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

dupersaurus posted:

Going fast slows time down for you. Astronauts on the ISS aren't going forward in time, they're aging slower.

Yes, but for the observer on Earth that is essentially the same thing. Taken to the extreme; if the astronaut does near-lightspeeds back and forth from Earth, they will have effectively time-travelled into the future, albeit on a very slow time machine (order of months/years), compared to Earth.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dupersaurus posted:

That's the same thing as any other kind of time machine you'd see in fiction or thought experiment, you step into the box and step out and suddenly its X amount of time later, even though only a few moments have passed for you. The only difference is that X amount of time in this case is only a small fraction of a second rather than days or years. There's no (physical) reason we couldn't build a space-faring vessel of some sort designed to accelerate at 1g away from the earth for a couple years until you hit like .999 light speed, then come back and notice the fact that even though you've only aged a few years, it's now 4000 AD and human civilization is a smoldering ruin.

There are many practical reasons we do not do this, but it's physically possible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

can someone explain roughly how phone deals work these days to me? The last phone I got was an iPhone 6, 3 years ago and it was still the old "pay $200 and sign up for a 2 year contract" deal that used to be the norm. I understand that has all changed since then though. I'd like to upgrade to an 8, but not if it's going to cost full price or add a substantial amount of money to my current bill.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

veni veni veni posted:

can someone explain roughly how phone deals work these days to me? The last phone I got was an iPhone 6, 3 years ago and it was still the old "pay $200 and sign up for a 2 year contract" deal that used to be the norm. I understand that has all changed since then though. I'd like to upgrade to an 8, but not if it's going to cost full price or add a substantial amount of money to my current bill.
Providers don't subsidize phones anymore. You now pay a $20-40/month surcharge on your plan for 2 years which totals up to the price of your phone.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChairMaster posted:

That's the same thing as any other kind of time machine you'd see in fiction or thought experiment, you step into the box and step out and suddenly its X amount of time later, even though only a few moments have passed for you. The only difference is that X amount of time in this case is only a small fraction of a second rather than days or years. There's no (physical) reason we couldn't build a space-faring vessel of some sort designed to accelerate at 1g away from the earth for a couple years until you hit like .999 light speed, then come back and notice the fact that even though you've only aged a few years, it's now 4000 AD and human civilization is a smoldering ruin.

There are many practical reasons we do not do this, but it's physically possible.

About ten years, someone check my maths. Starting at escape velocity (11,000m/s) and accelerating to 0.99666... of c (299,000,000m/s) should take 298,989,000 seconds, or 3460.52 days.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, and then you have to decelerate, then do the whole shebang in reverse to get back to earth. So 40 years total.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobbeldygook posted:

Providers don't subsidize phones anymore. You now pay a $20-40/month surcharge on your plan for 2 years which totals up to the price of your phone.

That's subsidizing your phone though - the old plans just had your monthly payments on the phone rolled in as $15-$50 a month depending on the plan and they'd charge you for it every month regardless if the original discount had been paid off. A helpful side effect, for them, is they got to skim off a good few dozen bucks beyond what the phone cost, and if you waited to get your upgrade they might even make extra hundreds.

In the current system they usually still take a hefty chunk of change in the payment plan above the upfront costs, but at least your phone payment will end at some point.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
.999c = 298,701,000 m/s

1g = 9.800m/s²

(298,701,000 m/s)/(9.800 m/s²)=30,479,694 seconds

(30,479,694 s) / (31,557,600 s/year) = 0.96584 years

(0.96584 years)*(365 days/year) = 352.5 days

You do have to decelerate, which would double the time to about two years, but I'm fairly confident that some nerd could plot a better course than go straight in one direction and come straight back to where the Earth's gonna be upon arrival, while still maintaining relative velocity to the Earth. I think?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

.999c = 298,701,000 m/s

1g = 9.800m/s²

You do have to decelerate, which would double the time to about two years, but I'm fairly confident that some nerd could plot a better course than go straight in one direction and come straight back to where the Earth's gonna be upon arrival, while still maintaining relative velocity to the Earth. I think?

This seems scientific and reasonable. I'm gonna hire you to fire people into space. Or consult on a scifi direct-to-amazon self published novel. Maybe both.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChairMaster posted:

.999c = 298,701,000 m/s

1g = 9.800m/s²

Yep, I'm an idiot, I used "1" for gravity as in 1G. This goon has the numbers right.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the subreddit that's just a bunch of news articles with the response "Good."

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When boosting a Facebook post, is it possible to have something besides the "Like Page" button be the call to action? I'd prefer Contact Us or Call Us.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When I have Bluetooth enabled my computer is "discoverable as "MAK0RZ-THINKPAD"." What exactly does that mean? I assume that any device that tries to connect can't actually do so unless I permit it, right?

I live in an apartment complex so I'm paranoid about dumb poo poo like this.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

When I have Bluetooth enabled my computer is "discoverable as "MAK0RZ-THINKPAD"." What exactly does that mean? I assume that any device that tries to connect can't actually do so unless I permit it, right?

It means if someone else has a bluetooth device nearby and they try to pair it with something, they might see "MAK0RZ-THINKPAD" pop up in their list. No, they shouldn't be able to pair with you without you permitting it unless they're some sort of uberhacker or you've enabled automatic pairing or whatever (I doubt that's even an option).

I leave all of my devices in this mode and have done so since bluetooth became a thing and I've never had any issues. :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I tend to keep bluetooth off on all of my devices (I work in IT and I'm paranoid). A couple of months ago, I had a bit of my paranoia validated. So, if you're going to be leaving your bluetooth on like that on the regular, make sure you're patched.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

kedo posted:

It means if someone else has a bluetooth device nearby and they try to pair it with something, they might see "MAK0RZ-THINKPAD" pop up in their list. No, they shouldn't be able to pair with you without you permitting it unless they're some sort of uberhacker or you've enabled automatic pairing or whatever (I doubt that's even an option).

I leave all of my devices in this mode and have done so since bluetooth became a thing and I've never had any issues. :shrug:

Just FYI, there's a fresh new very-exploitable flaw in the bluetooth subsystem itself. It leaves Windows, (older versions of) iOS, Android, and even Linux vulnerable to a complete takeover in a driveby attack. From an article just three days ago:

Ars Technica posted:

BlueBorne, as the researchers have dubbed their attack, is notable for its unusual reach and effectiveness. Virtually any Android, Linux, or Windows device that hasn't been recently patched and has Bluetooth turned on can be compromised by an attacking device within 32 feet. It doesn't require device users to click on any links, connect to a rogue Bluetooth device, or take any other action, short of leaving Bluetooth on. The exploit process is generally very fast, requiring no more than 10 seconds to complete, and it works even when the targeted device is already connected to another Bluetooth-enabled device.

"Just by having Bluetooth on, we can get malicious code on your device," Nadir Izrael, CTO and cofounder of security firm Armis, told Ars. "BlueBorne abuses the fact that when Bluetooth is on, all of these devices are always listening for connections."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/bluetooth-bugs-open-billions-of-devices-to-attacks-no-clicking-required/

So, yeah. iOS and Windows are already patched, fixes for the various Linux distros are rolling out now, and there'll presumably be an Android fix too someday, which will only matter if your phone is still getting updates (and good luck with that).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Well first things first, you should make your computer has the latest updates to the OS because there's a big set of Bluetooth vulnerabilities recently disclosed: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/blueborne-vulnerabilities-impact-over-5-billion-bluetooth-enabled-devices/ So if you're worried about someone loving you up over Bluetooth, take care of that.

Besides that, that means that your computer is temporarily announcing itself as a Bluetooth device to connect to with MAK0RZ-THINKPAD as the name people will see instead of BOBS-COMPUTER or TEDS-IPHONE. So if you were trying to connect up your phone by Bluetooth to your computer, say, on the list of devices to connect to you'd select MAK0RZ and know you had the right one, and then you'd complete the pairing process on that computer.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You can also just pair your bluetooth devices then make your device un-discoverable and the paired devices should see each other fine in the background without announcing to others..

Bluetooth has an effective range of less than 100 meters. More realistically it's like 15 meters. If you have to leave bluetooth on all the time, you really don't, and your device starts acting weird just take it for a light jog. If you are unhealthy just wrap it in the fast-food trash that litters your desktop.

You are now a whitehat cowboy pwning fools in cyberspace.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

revolther posted:

You can also just pair your bluetooth devices then make your device un-discoverable and the paired devices should see each other fine in the background without announcing to others..

Bluetooth has an effective range of less than 100 meters. More realistically it's like 15 meters. If you have to leave bluetooth on all the time, you really don't, and your device starts acting weird just take it for a light jog. If you are unhealthy just wrap it in the fast-food trash that litters your desktop.

You are now a whitehat cowboy pwning fools in cyberspace.

You have to leave bluetooth on because turning off bluetooth on your phone turns off the actual antenna.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a Florida drivers license.

I go to school on Virginia.

I am applying for a job in Virginia.

The job application includes this form, from Pennsylvania:

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL%20Form/DL-503.pdf

Section C asks for "Driver Information"

I am assuming this is asking for my driver's license information rather than my physical/mailing address.

Am I right?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Lincoln posted:

When boosting a Facebook post, is it possible to have something besides the "Like Page" button be the call to action? I'd prefer Contact Us or Call Us.

Probably, but you might not be able to do it with a plain boosted post. The boost post button is basically just a shortcut for creating an ad; if you go into the ads manager you can edit all kinds of things about it. You can boost posts with different kinds of CTAs through there. That's where I'd go looking.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Are there different Stupid Newbie avs going around now? Sometimes one pops up and it's a campbell's soup kid and then the other time it's a really ugly guy and the colors are different. Is this a browser thing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CzarChasm posted:

Are there different Stupid Newbie avs going around now? Sometimes one pops up and it's a campbell's soup kid and then the other time it's a really ugly guy and the colors are different. Is this a browser thing?

The ugly dude is the real Stupid Newbie default avatar right now, the others are people who have a copy of an older stupid newbie av, so it doesn't get automatically changed when a new version is uploaded.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Why do some people get no stupid noobie avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can pay :10bux: and have it removed.