Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

General Dog posted:

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

The FSU spring game has Jimbo talking to Rex about their days coaching against each other in D2 and the back and forth owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

I think he'd be a better foot fit for UNC.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what's Reggie McNeal up to these days

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Alaois posted:

what's Reggie McNeal up to these days

He ran a 4.35 at the combine and then ascended into heaven.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

I don't want him to be fired mid-season because it never accomplishes anything beyond the hastening the dismantling of your recruiting class and embarrassment for all involved parties. The program always says "now we can get a head start on the coaching search and be on the radar for all the top candidates," and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

I see fans on the internet melting down and demanding that someone be fired effective immediately all the time, but yeah, it seems like a bad move on many levels. It's not like you can't be back-channel gauging interest from whatever other coach while you have a coach in place whose job is well understood to be in imminent jeopardy. Handling the whole thing respectfully and giving the coach a chance to see it through, maybe even turn it around, also seems like it would make the spot more attractive to a successful coach who would attract interest from multiple schools. If you've got options, why would you want to work for a place that was lovely to their last coach?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Firing midseason is dumb unless the coach is a literal criminal imo. What do you have to gain from cratering your team even worse than it probably already is and showing the coaching community you don't even have the decency to let them finish their own grave.

The mid season retire tho is amazing and more coaches should pull that when they're old and ready to hand it off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. I think it was definitely the case with LSU and Miles last year. I also remember A&M canning Fran before the Texas game (which he won as a lame duck).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 13, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. Look at how common it is for a coach to be fired before a season ending rivalry game.

This is exactly what happened with Ron Zook. The dumbass student newspaper said "this is why they shouldn't have fired Coach Zook" after he beat FSU. Cue 2 titles under Urban Meyer.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

I think a lot of times the midseason firing is to ensure that the coach in question doesn't have the opportunity to rebound/pull off a signature win and make the decision more controversial. I think it was definitely the case with LSU and Miles last year. I also remember A&M canning Fran before the Texas game (which he won as a lame duck).

Correct. Miles was all but fired the year before but then he won the A&M game and the players carried him off he field and you can't fire a guy after that. You're gotta strike while the iron is hot, meaning when things are at their worst, after a humiliating loss.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Firing midseason is dumb unless the coach is a literal criminal imo. What do you have to gain from cratering your team even worse than it probably already is and showing the coaching community you don't even have the decency to let them finish their own grave.

Worked for Clemson :shrug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: gently caress

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 13, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was just reading this thread from the beginning and loving LMAO that Clawson would be considered a 3/5. You're high if you think that. Both Clawson and Manning are extremely safe.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

lamentable dustman posted:

Worked for Clemson :shrug:

There are exceptions to every rule :iiam:

Much like VT was the exception to sending your hall of fame coach to pasture.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Army has announced a multi-year extension for head coach Jeff Monken. Length of the extension and financial terms were not disclosed. Monken is in his fourth season at West Point; his 8-5 season in 2016 was the Black Knights best finish since 1996 including the academys first win over Navy since 2001 and his current 5-game winning streak is the programs longest in two decades.

god drat does that say a lot about the state of Army football lately :stare:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

General Dog posted:

Jackie Sherrill though early RC (mid 80s to mid 90s) is definitely the apex of the program (post-integration).

This was with Texas down, and it's not a coincidence that their performance fell off post Mack, even if they arguably should have done much better.

In theory UT, TAMU, and OU should all be good, but that SEC West schedule every year is brutal.

General Dog posted:

People who say this should look at how terrible Lovie is at Illinois. At this point, the NFL is a different game.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Barry Odom is gonna get fired for sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Barry Odom is gonna get fired for sure.

Two years is a super short stint and it's kind of not a good look to fire someone that quick. But he's not the current AD's hire, and he might be setting up the worst season for Missouri football since the 80s. Unless he turns things around in a big way his seat has got to be somewhere between firmly warm and hot this year. If he survives to next year without a giant turnaround because they go with the 'gotta give him a chance' argument he starts the next season off with his seat on fire.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Two years is a super short stint and it's kind of not a good look to fire someone that quick. But he's not the current AD's hire, and he might be setting up the worst season for Missouri football since the 80s. Unless he turns things around in a big way his seat has got to be somewhere between firmly warm and hot this year. If he survives to next year without a giant turnaround because they go with the 'gotta give him a chance' argument he starts the next season off with his seat on fire.
Sure 2 years isn't ideal, but the last guy lasted for over a decade. Odom has the program trending downward and might have them in the worst shape its ever been in.

I think Sterk can justify making the move as long as it's a one time deal.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
Has Mizzou figured out their social issues yet? It got bad at the end of Pinkel's tenure due to Ferguson and enrollment dropped due to lingering issues coming to light.

There's also the matter that there's a ton of SEC coaches who might get fired during/at the end of the season. Sumlin/bert/Butch/Gus/Stoops are all varying degrees of hot and you might need to eat another year of Odom to position yourself for a better caliber of coach.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Has Mizzou figured out their social issues yet? It got bad at the end of Pinkel's tenure due to Ferguson and enrollment dropped due to lingering issues coming to light.

I want to say it's at least a little better and hiring Cuonzo Martin for a billion dollars as head basketball coach probably helps some, but then again St Louis is rioting again because of bad judges so...who knows?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's also the matter that there's a ton of SEC coaches who might get fired during/at the end of the season. Sumlin/bert/Butch/Gus/Stoops are all varying degrees of hot and you might need to eat another year of Odom to position yourself for a better caliber of coach.
The University is still reeling from the god awful way they handled it, but hasn't impacted the sports programs too much. Sterk managed to raise around 100 million to do some stadium work.

The issue with Odom is another year of him will put a dagger into the heart of the football program. He's so bad and it's clear the team has quit.

Bert is nearly untouchable with his buyout, but you just have to go out there and compete with the rest of the programs.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

The University is still reeling from the god awful way they handled it, but hasn't impacted the sports programs too much. Sterk managed to raise around 100 million to do some stadium work.

The issue with Odom is another year of him will put a dagger into the heart of the football program. He's so bad and it's clear the team has quit.

Bert is nearly untouchable with his buyout, but you just have to go out there and compete with the rest of the programs.

yeah, athletics is doing well. the university however is really hurting (cutting professors, closing dorms) because a lot of rural/suburban students who usually went to MU are going to Southwest Missouri State instead, and out-of-staters are still thinking the university is run by those people and thus giving them a pass

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Already columns out about the mess Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst has created, which is unsurprising. (E: the columns, but come to think of it ... gently caress)

I don't know what the gently caress anymore. I didn't expect greatness but I also didn't expect us to get manhandled by NIU or barely eek one out against Arkansas State, either. I wanted Riley to succeed, of course, but this season could enter snuff film territory with back-to-back home dates against Wisconsin and OSU.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So which team hires Jeff Brohm this offseason

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Florida hopefully.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think anybody is brazen enough to leave a P5 after just one year, even Purdue.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Edit: wrong thread

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

I don't think anybody is brazen enough to leave a P5 after just one year, even Purdue.

Maybe, but Brohm turned Hazell's poo poo rear end players into something actually good

Hes a real good coach

e: Todd Graham

e: If Purdue is bowl eligible, Brohm is so gone

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's Brohm's buyout?

Real Name Grover posted:

Already columns out about the mess Nebraska AD Shawn Eichorst has created, which is unsurprising. (E: the columns, but come to think of it ... gently caress)

I don't know what the gently caress anymore. I didn't expect greatness but I also didn't expect us to get manhandled by NIU or barely eek one out against Arkansas State, either. I wanted Riley to succeed, of course, but this season could enter snuff film territory with back-to-back home dates against Wisconsin and OSU.

This is basically what I expected when I heard Nebraska hired the longtime coach of Oregon State.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Maybe, but Brohm turned Hazell's poo poo rear end players into something actually good

Hes a real good coach

e: Todd Graham

e: If Purdue is bowl eligible, Brohm is so gone

Purdue goes Michigan/bye/Minn/@Wis/@Rutgers/Nebraska/Illinois/@NW/@Iowa/Indiana. Rutgers and Ilinois should be wins, meaning you need one of Minn/Nebraska/Indiana to get to 6, and if everything breaks right 8 or 9 wins isn't out of question depending on only losing to Michigan/Wisconsin/Northwestern or Iowa on the road.

I don't know Brohm's buyout but someone like A&M can certainly find out.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah Mike Riley is done this year without a miracle.

Scott Frost come on down!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

C. Everett Koop posted:

Purdue goes Michigan/bye/Minn/@Wis/@Rutgers/Nebraska/Illinois/@NW/@Iowa/Indiana. Rutgers and Ilinois should be wins, meaning you need one of Minn/Nebraska/Indiana to get to 6, and if everything breaks right 8 or 9 wins isn't out of question depending on only losing to Michigan/Wisconsin/Northwestern or Iowa on the road.

I don't know Brohm's buyout but someone like A&M can certainly find out.

Given how bad Michigan's offense has been this season I wouldn't mark that one down as a sure loss for Purdue.

Should be an interesting test of Brohm's offense as Michigan's defense is about as good as their offense is bad, but certainly not impossible they could pull it off

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah Mike Riley is done this year without a miracle.

Scott Frost come on down!

I'm going to be really disappointed if Nebraska hires Frost at this point. He's still unproven as a head coach.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Given how bad Michigan's offense has been this season I wouldn't mark that one down as a sure loss for Purdue.

Should be an interesting test of Brohm's offense as Michigan's defense is about as good as their offense is bad, but certainly not impossible they could pull it off

And considering Brohm's still working with Hazell's kids I'll take Don Brown's D over his O. No offense.

Also in SEC coach chat, take Stoops off for right now and put Matt Luke on. We're still on pace for nearly half of the conference to change coaches, and that alone makes me think a couple might bite the bullet and bring back their lame duck for another year, Odom/bert in particular.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't mind Mike Riley coming to Arizona in the likely event they have a vacancy, but he's going to have the same, possibly worse problems than Richrod there. Although he'll get along with the media which will buy a lot of time in Tucson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still kinda can't believe Nebraska hired Riley in the first place

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought Barry Odom was safe through at least next year, but not if current trends hold up. Our AD Sterk (who didn't hire Odom) is building a $100 million football stadium upgrade and isn't going to be able to hold off donors' demands if the team looks like it did Saturday.

I watched the games in the '90s like losing 77-0 to A & M and it's not an exaggeration to say we looked about that bad. No one but our all-world punter seemed to care but his hamstring will explode at this rate.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Also in SEC coach chat, take Stoops off for right now and put Matt Luke on. We're still on pace for nearly half of the conference to change coaches, and that alone makes me think a couple might bite the bullet and bring back their lame duck for another year, Odom/bert in particular.

They'll give Bert another year because iirc his buyout is something ridiculous like $15mil+

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It really seems like Mizzou is the type of place where you need someone who can find the diamond in the rough players and develop them well, like your last coach did. Unless they start getting crazy good, they won't compete on getting ever 4- and 5- star recruit like an Alabama will, but if they can get enough 3 star players to develop to a high ceiling, they will be competitive. I don't really know who Mizzou could go after to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, athletics is doing well. the university however is really hurting (cutting professors, closing dorms) because a lot of rural/suburban students who usually went to MU are going to Southwest Missouri State instead, and out-of-staters are still thinking the university is run by those people and thus giving them a pass

Ugh I live in Alabama and I hear racists talking all the time about how Missouri ruined their school and are shutting down because they let the blacks take over. Hopefully they get things worked out or fox news moves on to something else so they shut up about it.

• Locked thread