Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peanut posted:

A long time ago I got a dual serial cable and did just that between my old and new computers. Is it weird and bad???

btw I'm a ghost

Yeah, because turbo parallel was the only way to fly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

peanut posted:

A long time ago I got a dual serial cable and did just that between my old and new computers. Is it weird and bad???

btw I'm a ghost

Imagine LapLink with a 4TB drive...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo. Christ, gave me retail flashbacks.

B-but the newer mech keyboards have USB-USB cables.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Currently in a hotel that has barn door style sliding doors (that are mostly translucent plexi) for the bathroom door in each room. Hope you're ok with anyone else in the room hearing exactly what you're doing in there and seeing the vague shape of you sitting on the shitter.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

B-but the newer mech keyboards have USB-USB cables.

That's USB-A to USB-mini-B or USB-micro-B and is 100% the way it's meant to be.

Tunicate posted:

I just want to transfer my files from one laptop to the other, can't I just hook them up?

They did used to sell "PC transfer kits" which were two USB-Ethernet dongles permanently connected with a crossover cable, all moulded in the same colour. That may have lead to (or popularised?) the misconception.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a USB-A to USB-A cable, and actually have a legitimate use for it.

The idiots who designed my gun safe put a USB-A connector on the outside of the safe, so in order to connect to the backup drive inside, I've got to connect a USB-A to USB-A cable from my computer to the back of the safe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The idiots who designed my gun safe

An extremely troubling phrase

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Bloop posted:

An extremely troubling phrase

If this DEFCON talk is to believed, pretty much all gun safes are designed by idiots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

If this DEFCON talk is to believed, pretty much all gun safes are designed by idiots:

Calling the things sold as gun safes "safes" is total marketing wank to begin with........

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

GotLag posted:

OMG you can pick a lock. I am shocked!

Trigger locks and gun safes are intended to do two things in my opinion. Stop children for accessing a firearm and slowing down an angry gun owner so that they don't shoot their spouse or neighbor "in the heat of the moment".

No lock or safe is secure. You are just trying to make the guns somewhat less accessible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GotLag posted:

The vast majority of gun safes aren't safes anymore than a locking Jobox on a construction site is a safe. They're (at best, usually) Residential Security Containers, a UL certification which means they're supposed to stand up to someone with a short prybar or hammer for five whole minutes. A rule of thumb is that if the thickness of the steel is expressed in gauge rather than fractions of an inch, you might as well just buy a gang box from Home Depot.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Indolent Bastard posted:

No lock or safe is secure. You are just trying to make the guns somewhat less accessible.

It should still take more than poking a paperclip through the gaps in the side of the safe to open it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Male/male adapters for Christmas lights? Whatever happened to the proud tradition of hacking off the ends of the cord and half-rear end splicing the ends in the way *you* want them? :argh::cloud::bahgawd:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Whatever happened to the proud tradition of hacking off the ends of the cord and half-rear end splicing the ends in the way *you* want them?

I'm going to guess natural selection

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

The vast majority of gun safes aren't safes anymore than a locking Jobox on a construction site is a safe. They're (at best, usually) Residential Security Containers, a UL certification which means they're supposed to stand up to someone with a short prybar or hammer for five whole minutes. A rule of thumb is that if the thickness of the steel is expressed in gauge rather than fractions of an inch, you might as well just buy a gang box from Home Depot.

Yeah that's basically the gist of what firearm storage reviewer people say. Unless you live in an old bank that still has the vault built out, your gun vault will not hold up to repeated attacks. If it's the kind of thing that's going to keep the guys busy for 30 minutes, they're likely to just throw the whole thing in a truck and deal with it later.

The advice that makes the most sense to me is:
1. Lock up all your tools. It's super easy to get into garage doors using the pull-cord release and a hanger trick, and if they can get in there and get access to a hammer, chisel, big screwdriver, crowbar, circular saw, or angle grinder you've just made it easy-mode for them to break into your home from an attached garage AND made it easy for them to defeat the security on your gun storage. Thieves don't care if they're wrecking your tools, they'll take a circular saw to your gun cabinet if that's what they can find.
2. The best way to protect your valuables, firearms, and valuable firearms is concealment. A thin steel in-wall locking cabinet that's never seen by thieves is more secure than a 6 foot tall, 900 lb gun safe from Costco.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't Dead
Open Inside

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Male/male adapters for Christmas lights? Whatever happened to the proud tradition of hacking off the ends of the cord and half-rear end splicing the ends in the way *you* want them? :argh::cloud::bahgawd:

Millennials these days are sooo lazy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

canyoneer posted:

.... If it's the kind of thing that's going to keep the guys busy for 30 minutes, they're likely to just throw the whole thing in a truck and deal with it later.

Some safes come with hardware to bolt them to the frame of your house for exactly this reason. Thieves aren't going to spend five minutes hacking on poo poo. They want to grab and get out.

Well, I'm sure there's been cases where burglars sawed their way into huge rear end safes, but at that level of determination I'd be more worried about them waiting for me to get home and making me open the safe at gunpoint.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 16, 2017

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

GotLag posted:

I really like this dude's closing message of "if you don't want your kids doing something stupid with a firearm, you should probably teach them how to handle one safely and appropriately."

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
How does one pronounce Jobox? I see them all the time but I'm not involved with construction.

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't Crappy
Rent Construction

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Twinkie Czar posted:

How does one pronounce Jobox? I see them all the time but I'm not involved with construction.

I always mentally pronounced it as "Yo' Box". Like, izzat yo' box over there? Yes, that is my box.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

~Coxy posted:

That's USB-A to USB-mini-B or USB-micro-B and is 100% the way it's meant to be.

Nope. USB-A to USB-A. Coolermaster loves doing that

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I like the included cock ring.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the RED arrow keys for EXTREME PACMAN

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those are red WASD keys, but still, yes.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Mine isn't a super-secure safe, but it's still 400lbs empty, wedged into the back of a closet, and bolted to the floor. It's not going to stop a determined thief, but they're likely not getting it out of the house or into it before the police respond to my alarm.

Which it did its job the one time we've been broken into.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I've got one of those 8bitdo NES-style arcade sticks, and that also comes with an A-A cable like that for charging or using as a wired stick. First time I had seen one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For whatever stupid reason the Vive also uses A-A on both of its cables. PC <-> Linkbox and Linkbox <-> Headset.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This fine $50,000 piece of real estate is aggressively ugly AND it will kill you.

A blue tarp over the front cliff-I mean, yard sure is welcoming.

Let's have a closer look at those stairs

They turned the living room into a master bedroom I think. It has a private entrance.

The kitchen has seen better days

Yes, they "re-did" the bathroom walls with pallet wood.

Why are there wooden shutters on the inside of the windows?

More "rustic touches"

Amazing death stairs with bonus dude in jorts

The bad paint job, the ugly wood, the curtains...these folks do crappy construction right.

But hey, the furnace, WH and panel box are "newer"

This house must flood badly every time it rains.

Surprisingly the house is not listed as "as-is".

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From the first picture I expected something nicer. :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
^I like the stairs over the stairs.

The only A-A USB device I've ever seen was an original 802.11b Linksys wifi adapter, back when they couldn't make them small enough to barely stick out of the port. At the time, I thought it was the strangest cable I've even seen. Still do.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My laptop's cooling mat gets power from a USB A-A plugged into the laptop, it seems to be a fairly common setup for those.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It's pronounced gangbox. Everything on a jobsite that has stuff in it is pronounced gangbox.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Christ. I've seen some pretty cheap mech kbs with removable cables (for some reason) and they've used micro-B.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm the big jug of Lysol on the dresser with the deer heads.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

I'm the big jug of Lysol on the dresser with the deer heads.
Well how do you keep your deer heads clean, smartypants? :colbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Haifisch posted:

Well how do you keep your deer heads clean, smartypants? :colbert:

Air-powered hoses and flesh-eating beetles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy_cGLoAgw4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

This fine $50,000 piece of real estate is aggressively ugly AND it will kill you.

A blue tarp over the front cliff-I mean, yard sure is welcoming.

Let's have a closer look at those stairs

They turned the living room into a master bedroom I think. It has a private entrance.

The kitchen has seen better days

Yes, they "re-did" the bathroom walls with pallet wood.

Why are there wooden shutters on the inside of the windows?

More "rustic touches"

Amazing death stairs with bonus dude in jorts

The bad paint job, the ugly wood, the curtains...these folks do crappy construction right.

But hey, the furnace, WH and panel box are "newer"

This house must flood badly every time it rains.

Surprisingly the house is not listed as "as-is".

Someone needs to burn this monstrosity to the ground and salt the earth. I'm the delta between the original price and the asking price.

Price History
Date Event Price $/sqft
08/07/17 Price change $50,000 +66.7% $31
07/31/17 Price change $30,000 -40.0% $18
06/16/17 Listed for sale $50,000 +285% $31
01/25/16 Sold $13,000 $8

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Someone needs to burn this monstrosity to the ground and salt the earth. I'm the delta between the original price and the asking price.

Looking at that bullet heater, I think someone was trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Price History
Date Event Price $/sqft
08/07/17 Price change $50,000 +66.7% $31
07/31/17 Price change $30,000 -40.0% $18
06/16/17 Listed for sale $50,000 +285% $31
01/25/16 Sold $13,000 $8

Based on that and the painting saying "Go Hokies" I'm guessing it's right near the college.