Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logosanatic
Jan 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

This essentially sums up my views on it as well. We can't put the gun toothpaste back in the tube at this point, let's just focus on poo poo like making sure we don't destroy the earth and that people have a right to healthcare and poo poo like that.

fair enough. although well have climat change economic disasters before tackling gun control is convenient. just in time for me to actually need a gun for protection against mad max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

The filibuster also prevented a public option, which would have made Obamacare more popular and work better. It also prevented a bigger stimulus package, which might have helped prevent the GOP takeover in 2010. The fillibuster does more for the GOP than it does for the democrats.

Or maybe instead of keeping Obamacare, we would've seen the ACA+public option get repealed in 2017.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Or maybe instead of keeping Obamacare, we would've seen the ACA+public option get repealed in 2017.

That would be a point if they got 59 votes for repeal. They got 49.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lemming posted:

. . .

They don't have 50 votes because they know it wouldn't help them. They want the filibuster to remain. It helps them more and the Dems are going to face some backlash when they kill it.

I think a few Republicans actually care about tradition, to a point.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I guess that's fair. I disagree that it was enough to be a backbreaker (given how much they were trying to do) but reasonable people can disagree in the details.

You could certainly be right. Last year I was all for doing as much as we could, by hook or by crook, and let public support be the defense; but watching the Republicans undo Obama's legacy has adjusted my attitude. The GOP have demonstrated that they'll happily rip up anything Dems pass, even if it's extremely popular.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

That would be a point if they got 59 votes for repeal. They got 49.

The point is they could've gotten to 50 if they had more leeway to play with stuff like abortion funding or whatever the nuts wanted.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hellblazer187 posted:

Which they is too few?

The, "all-or-nothing, immediately," crowd. They're mostly just implied to exist.

quote:

What I'm saying is the Clinton style campaigning of "Here's the policy where the math is pre-worked out and also should be relatively non offensive but does good things" isn't good enough, and we saw that because Clinton lost.

I wouldn't extrapolate much from that. It didn't work for a whole bunch of reasons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

This is the same company that previously let you racially red line your housing ads (in violation of federal law)

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/791979616609198080

Hasn't Facebook also refused a congress?/senate? request about russian related ad data citing privacy of its users?

Or was that the bird website?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PerniciousKnid posted:

You could certainly be right. Last year I was all for doing as much as we could, by hook or by crook, and let public support be the defense; but watching the Republicans undo Obama's legacy has adjusted my attitude. The GOP have demonstrated that they'll happily rip up anything Dems pass, even if it's extremely popular.

Oh oops, I may have been unclear: I was talking about the filibuster nitpicky stuff.

You and I may have switched positions in the last year. :v: I am solidly in favor of doing as much as possible, and frankly am inclined to go for broke now. The Sanders proposition is heartening. I provisionally like it as a model. If the fuckers are going to burn anything we try to build, don't take the moron contingent into consideration at all.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the sanders proposal is nice because it's realistic enough to get points for credibility and (since it'll never become law) that's all that people need to run on it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh oops, I may have been unclear: I was talking about the filibuster nitpicky stuff.

You and I may have switched positions in the last year. :v: I am solidly in favor of doing as much as possible, and frankly am inclined to go for broke now. The Sanders proposition is heartening. I provisionally like it as a model. If the fuckers are going to burn anything we try to build, don't take the moron contingent into consideration at all.

Well, I'm not saying I'm against Sanders' bill. Put it out there, and run on passing it. But doing stuff by legislative trickery or executive fiat just doesn't seem as appealing.

Or maybe I'm just suffering from post-2016 depression and overcorrecting. :chaostrump:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Carter Center just announced that Jimmy Carter just narrowly missed his 27-year goal of eliminating the Guinea Worm this year. There were 9 recorded infections in the last 365 days. Down from 3.6 million when he started.

Hopefully you'll get it next year Jimmy. :unsmith:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Carter Center just announced that Jimmy Carter just narrowly missed his 27-year goal of eliminating the Guinea Worm this year. There were 9 recorded infections in the last 365 days. Down from 3.6 million when he started.

Jimmy is good people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In much sadder old man news, Larry King just announced that he has lung cancer and that chemo is not an option for him given his age. He had surgery and seems to have recovered, but the doctors said it would have killed him in 6 to 18 months and there is a strong chance it will come back. As long as he is healthy enough for surgery and they can catch it early again, he should be okay. But probably not many more surgeries left in him.

:smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 15, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I thought that thing was dead!

Damnit all.

You make fun but...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Much like Jimmy Carter, this loving rules

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I learned something fascinating about the Guinea Worm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis

quote:

To extract the worm, a person must wrap the live worm around a piece of gauze or a stick. The process can be long, taking anywhere from hours to a week. Gently massaging the area around the blister can help loosen the worm. This is nearly the same treatment that is noted in the famous ancient Egyptian medical text, the Ebers papyrus from 1550 BC.
Literally 3500 years later, and we're still using the same method to pull the worm out of people that the ancient Egyptians used.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Much like Jimmy Carter, this loving rules

jimmy carter was a terrible president

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Terrible for a Democrat is still better than any Republican in living memory

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Nobody cares either what you think or about JC as president, he has done unqualified good for bazillions of people since his administration

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah, gently caress every good thing he ever did since then, gently caress him, I hope he rots in hell because he wasn't an extreme leftist when he was in office, gently caress him aaaaaaaaah what a loving piece of poo poo am I right my dude?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

Yeah, gently caress every good thing he ever did since then, gently caress him, I hope he rots in hell because he wasn't an extreme leftist when he was in office, gently caress him aaaaaaaaah what a loving piece of poo poo am I right my dude?

Same.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

you need more whippets

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

On the other hand, he's been one of the greatest ex-presidents in history. It was more than worth having him in office for one bad term to get all the stuff afterward.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
If anyone wants to read a nice story:

https://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/missoula/in-bannack-jaye-christensen-keeps-the-music-alive/Content?oid=4990557

Woman with injuries in electroshock therapy gets a visit from Jesus, telling her to play the piano and share with the world.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

PerniciousKnid posted:

They'll be very concerned about tradition, you mean.

I stand by the statement that Jimmy Carter was too decent a human to be an effective president.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Spite posted:

I stand by the statement that Jimmy Carter was too decent a human to be an effective president.

Pulling a Cheney and running a private deathsquad could've gotten a lot of solar panels installed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Terrible for a Democrat is still better than any Republican in living memory

There are people alive who remember Eisenhower. :colbert:

edit: and depending on your definition of "better", "memory", and maybe "Republican", same for Taft or even Teddy Roosevelt :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 15, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:henget:

But that's kind of like saying Kennedy was a Clinton Democrat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

:henget:

But that's kind of like saying Kennedy was a Clinton Democrat.

until I did some cursory googling I did not realize that there were living Americans born in the Teddy Roosevelt administration

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

until I did some cursory googling I did not realize that there were living Americans born in the Teddy Roosevelt administration

Grandpa is old.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grognan posted:

you need more whippets

Um, this is always true.

I named myself this because my posts are kind of like a box of spent whippets. If you're looking through an old bunch of them, don't get your hopes up, it's never a good one.

I promise other people who do whippets will understand this joke.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit: and depending on your definition of "better", "memory", and maybe "Republican", same for Taft or even Teddy Roosevelt :v:

im sure old persians who got tortured by savak also dislike eisenhower so, yes i mean they still remember eisenhower

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jason Stockley, the cop who said "we're gonna kill this motherfucker," had his partner ram and disable the man's car, then ran up and shot him 5 times and probably planted a gun in the car, was just declared not guilty in St Louis.

The National Guard is already there, but it would appear more are heading in soon. I still have friends that are in and there's some movement on the back end, because Greitens has a boner for activating the National Guard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I *REALLY* wish I could be surprised by these cases.

Please?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i hate that this is a question i have to ask but: which senseless killing was jason stockley involved in?

edit:

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jason Stockley, the cop who said "we're gonna kill this motherfucker," had his partner ram and disable the man's car, then ran up and shot him 5 times and probably planted a gun in the car, was just declared not guilty in St Louis.

The National Guard is already there, but it would appear more are heading in soon. I still have friends that are in and there's some movement on the back end, because Greitens has a boner for activating the National Guard.

ah for gently caress's sake.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

:smith:

At least we have less of the trash posters that rush in to explain how this isn't bad because of some legal reasoning and everything about the system is totally Fine or the scum that basically wants to gloat another cop got away with murder.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/KMOVStLouis/videos/10159359106715603/

Live feed of protesters in an intersection.

Nothing terrible yet.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Good time to mention that ACAB, and also blue lives don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like how reality is rapidly approaching my fanfic idea of "a bunch of cops start a goose step dancing musical number with the most hamfisted lyrics"

• Locked thread