Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

wow the preorder has been open for around 30 mins you can still preorder the 8 and have it delivered on the 22nd according to apples sites

lol if apple osborned themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Encrypted posted:

wow the preorder has been open for around 30 mins you can still preorder the 8 and have it delivered on the 22nd according to apples sites

lol if apple osborned themselves

osborned?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ah, iphone 8 sales not enthusiastic because of x. might be that unless it's lean mean timb supply chain machine cranking out millions of 8s

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Plank Walker posted:

yes much easier to have iphones 8 and 10 released in the same year

X not 10
for "xtreme"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yes i get that but does no ones else see the paradox i see? like wouldn't it make sense if the low powered cores were 70% faster but then the high powered cores were at least 70% or more faster?? why not just have 6 of the faster ones? why have 2 extra cores that are for high powered situations, but they're only 25% faster than the old cores and not 70%

surely someone understand my confusion but also understands the reasoning and is willing to explain it?

they are comparing the new fast cores to the old fast cores and the new slow cores to the old slow cores. the numbers between fast and slow are completely unrelated. does that make sense now?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pause for a moment and consider what would've been Steve's reaction to the \___/ cutout and asymmetrical layout.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well why not posted:

Pause for a moment and consider what would've been Steve's reaction to the \___/ cutout and asymmetrical layout.
he'd probably take another fruit a go

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

sorry for the autocorrect :sweatdrop: but yeah there seem to be little reason for owners of 6/6s/7 to buy 8 over the x especially if they want the better screen and whatnot

sure the 8 will be as insanely fast as the x with better screen than the 6/6s/7 that they are coming from, but if they are already spending that much money, why not just wait for the x?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I am getting the 8 because the X screen and form factor is untested and I don't give a poo poo about selfies and Snapchat. I am an s cycle upgrader and the 8 is in essence a 7s. the chipset is the same as an x anyway.

also I am ride or die on the smaller form factor between the normie and plus models. if the x had a smaller version I might have waited

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 15, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's pronounced "iphone ecks", just like it "os ecks" was

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

it's pronounced "iphone ecks", just like it "os ecks" was

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

echinopsis posted:

yes i get that but does no ones else see the paradox i see? like wouldn't it make sense if the low powered cores were 70% faster but then the high powered cores were at least 70% or more faster?? why not just have 6 of the faster ones? why have 2 extra cores that are for high powered situations, but they're only 25% faster than the old cores and not 70%

surely someone understand my confusion but also understands the reasoning and is willing to explain it?

ill be honest, this post doesn't seem like it was written by someone who has lots of crazy group sex

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lorf, apple is selling refurbished 2017 macbooks now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

echinopsis posted:

low power cores are used when you don't need your phone to go fast with demanding tasks, they have some controller that decides when you use low speed cores and when to enable fast cores

The a10 couldn't use both fast and slow cores at the same time so they were measured at different speeds

to simplify, a10 slow cores ran at 100 computrons, in the a11 they run at 170

a10 fast cores(Hurricane?) ran at 1000 computrons, now they can reach 1,250

a smaller actual increase in speeds on low power results in a higher percentage number that marketing loves

also with the a11 you can now use all cores at the same time somehow, achieving even faster speeds

Apple hire me

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lorf, apple is selling refurbished 2017 macbooks now

conspiracy : they sell 'refurbs' of unpopular models so they don't sit on shelves forever

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

well why not posted:

conspiracy : they sell 'refurbs' of unpopular models so they don't sit on shelves forever

it’s not like apple computers lose in value with time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, Apple TV 4K, and Apple Watch Series 3 models became available for pre-order at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time today, and many of the new products remain available for launch day delivery over five hours later.
iPhone 8 is slated for September 22 delivery in every color and storage size on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint, for example, while only a few T-Mobile and SIM-free configurations have slipped to up to 3-4 week shipping estimates.

iPhone 8 Plus supplies are slightly more constrained, but even the larger smartphone remains estimated for September 22 delivery in several colors and storage sizes on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint.

Supplies may vary by model, but based on shipping estimates, demand may be skewing towards T-Mobile or SIM-free models in Space Gray or Gold. Silver and Sprint appear to be least popular color and carrier respectively at this point.

Quite a few models remain available for launch day delivery in other countries too, such as Australia, Canada, Spain, and Singapore.

Back in the United States, customers can still order an Apple TV 4K with 32GB storage with September 22 delivery. The 64GB model has slipped to a 2-3 week shipping estimate on Apple.com.

Apple Watch Series 3 is the most constrained new product of all. Shipping estimates for many case and band combinations with GPS + Cellular have slipped to up to 4-5 weeks in the United States and elsewhere. Quite a few Wi-Fi and GPS only versions, including some Nike+ models, remain available for launch day delivery.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm paying $1000 for this iPhone X because I no longer have a soul

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol talk about getting hosed

the screen being cut in the middle at the top is loving disgusting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

lol talk about getting hosed

the screen being cut in the middle at the top is loving disgusting

it's literally the last thing i care about

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

aesthetics are the most important part of owning an apple device

and these aesthetics stink

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

well why not posted:

they list new models that don't meet beauty standards as refurbs. my late 2013 was one of these. perfect & new in every way except for some bubbles in the aluminum

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 15, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

obv the management knows a thing or two about these processors

like how fast did u get these puppies running in an after work bet after a few beers? are they literally the best processeors
in the world

do they destroy i7s?

what's their downside?

they're the best mobile-targeted processors in the world. they don't destroy an i7 because they weren't designed to. the architecture itself is competitive with intel at this point. this specific implementation, since it's targeting devices with passive cooling, small enclosed spaces and small batteries, is designed to work best under those constraints. even so it is performing at about the same level of a laptop CPU.

if apple were to take this architecture and apply it to a desktop-class CPU, adjusting the design parameters for that kind of target, it would likely be on par with intel's chips in performance, more or less.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

intel would finally have a reason to compete in that segment i guess

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Vintersorg posted:

aesthetics are the most important part of owning an apple device

and these aesthetics stink
never forget

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

they're the best mobile-targeted processors in the world. they don't destroy an i7 because they weren't designed to. the architecture itself is competitive with intel at this point. this specific implementation, since it's targeting devices with passive cooling, small enclosed spaces and small batteries, is designed to work best under those constraints. even so it is performing at about the same level of a laptop CPU.

if apple were to take this architecture and apply it to a desktop-class CPU, adjusting the design parameters for that kind of target, it would likely be on par with intel's chips in performance, more or less.

lol if three years from now apple blindsides everyone by releasing server blades with hardware that beats the best intel has to offer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah but did it DROOOOOOOP?

jk grip tape should be new iyg background

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/ivdv/status/908017481935179776

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

now dare to tell me something about aesthetics

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i really liked the metal back design though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i really liked the metal back design though

i like the metal sides on 4/se

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“cinci zoo sniper”" post="“476430819”"]
i like the metal sides on 4/se
[/quote]

iphone XI is going to be a glass panel sharp enough to cut bone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

iphone XI is going to be a glass panel sharp enough to cut bone

just a piece of glass

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just a piece of glass

with a weird asymmetrical camera bump on it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

with a weird asymmetrical camera bump on it

something like this?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you own an iphone ten you'll stop noticing the bertbrow unless you have an app that isn't set up for it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

if you own an iphone ten you'll stop noticing the bertbrow unless you have an app that isn't set up for it

apple app design guidelines explicitly prohibit setting up apps for it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

apple app design guidelines explicitly prohibit setting up apps for it

lol so I guess the notch covering poo poo up in landscape mode is gonna be a thing when it releases huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

lol so I guess the notch covering poo poo up in landscape mode is gonna be a thing when it releases huh?

we'll see, but that is something i expect to happen

• Locked thread