Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played the intro to metroid and the controls are much rear end. should have been on switch with true dual analog or just left the zero mission control scheme the same as much as possible on 3ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hahahahaha look at this loving scythe

She keeps her keys on it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On the bright side, with a weapon like that it pretty much doesn't matter how you swing it, your target is gonna die.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Blazblue is still fun. and Jubei is a tricky but fun character to use.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

On the bright side, with a weapon like that it pretty much doesn't matter how you swing it, your target is gonna die.

But so might the wielder

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually they forgot to draw it but the handle has FRONT FACING TOWARD ENEMY with an arrow pointing toward the blade written on it, so you don't swing it at yourself.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Actually they forgot to draw it but the handle has FRONT FACING TOWARD ENEMY with an arrow pointing toward the blade written on it, so you don't swing it at yourself.

I don't think there's a way to swing it without swinging it at yourself in the process :v:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Played Metroid for a bit and it's good :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyS89RVsjIY

Man, I wish I could play the gottlieb mario pinball tables. When I was 3 I saw the mushroom world one (the one that clip is from) in real life at a Gatti's Pizza but that was so long ago and I didn't play pinball stuff back then (and also I don't play real life pinball anyway because I don't like spending money for only a few tries, I'd rather just have versions I can play infinitely like with pinball fx2 or pinball arcade).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewZxutyE3L4

Another clip of the mushroom world pinball table.

S'good.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
initial metroid thoughts after 30 min

this looks and sounds like metroid prime compressed into a 3ds game
controls are fine
melee counter is cool
why is the scan visor a thing, feels like cheating
game good overall

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sorry too hear new metroid is trash

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At least there's always AM2R

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm at area two and I'm loving it so far. I just spent last week 100%ing all the other 2d games am2r included and this controls fine imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oddium posted:

sorry too hear new metroid is trash

where are you seeing this

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Like an actual complaint about the game is it should let you customize whether missiles/spider ball is a toggle instead of a hold because I never liked holding in the gba games and the shoulder buttons on the 3ds are much less comfortable than the ones on gba were.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Actual complaints. Lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ complaining about a scan visor, have you ever played Super Metroid? they literally give you one in that, the Best Metroid Of Them All

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The scan visor is fine. It's stuff like the wall jumping and having to use the circle pad pro

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DLC Inc posted:

lol @ complaining about a scan visor, have you ever played Super Metroid? they literally give you one in that, the Best Metroid Of Them All

I beat it twice years ago and completely forgot this existed. It didn't reveal sections of the map like this one does though, just destructible blocks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's in lieu of having map stations which is Lore appropriate, I can appreciate that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've just been playing Tales of Berseria since the beginning of August but hey it's really good!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played Samus Returns on the GameBoy (like god intended) and I remember spending loving ages using the spider ball and bombing every available block to find out how to progress. I think I've only ever made it to the third "set" of Metroids but I never mapped my progress, the in game map was woefully insufficient or even non-existent (I can't remember), and I relied of the stylized map from the manual which wasn't a great help.

That's my Metroid 2 story.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I played Samus Returns on the GameBoy (like god intended) and I remember spending loving ages using the spider ball and bombing every available block to find out how to progress. I think I've only ever made it to the third "set" of Metroids but I never mapped my progress, the in game map was woefully insufficient or even non-existent (I can't remember), and I relied of the stylized map from the manual which wasn't a great help.

That's my Metroid 2 story.

thats my metroid 2 story too

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition on the Bandai-Namco sale, played 20 minutes and then remembered that I stopped playing these games because I could really get into them as much as other people could (I've bought every souls game + Bloodborne but never finished any of them) so I got it refunded.

So I booted up Pit People instead and laughed as my cupcake minion.

Zaphod42 posted:

For some reason when games take a long time people feel owed more.

That's dumb. You're owed based on how much it costs you and nothing else. If its too expensive that's one thing, but acting like you're entitled to the best product in the world because they did other stuff for awhile is just weird.

Unless it's a game like Star Citizen who are fleecing people for hundreds of millions of dollars, then yeah you kind of have a right to feel owed X when they said the game would have X.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Looper posted:

I've just been playing Tales of Berseria since the beginning of August but hey it's really good!

It's gonna make my top 10 games of the year list

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Do you guys ever go "Man, I really want to play some videogames!" go to your pc/console, sit down, look at your backlog, see games you really want to play but then just... don't? And then end up booting up something you've played zillions of hours of?

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like if properly playing a game was too 'involved', and I end up playing stuff which is more... brainless? Like I can just shut my brain and go through the motions of playing a game.

How do you get out of that rut?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do you guys ever go "Man, I really want to play some videogames!" go to your pc/console, sit down, look at your backlog, see games you really want to play but then just... don't? And then end up booting up something you've played zillions of hours of?

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's like if properly playing a game was too 'involved', and I end up playing stuff which is more... brainless? Like I can just shut my brain and go through the motions of playing a game.

I have experienced this multiple times. I think the root of it is, After work. I'm just too tired too start up a new game and learn it all over, really pay attention. If I pop up something quick and something I already know. its much easier to just play a few rocket league matches. binding of isaac, overwatch.

What helps me, is just picking 1 game. Sticking it in, and just sitting through it for atleast 2 hours before it clicks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yes I do this a lot and somehow end up in Dota 2.

I think its an issue of instant gratification for gameplay versus going through a story mission you're just not in the mood for.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looper posted:

It's very good and Velvet's outfit is very bad.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Mr E posted:

It's very good and Velvet's outfit is very bad.

Ya gotta admit her cape is cool as hell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Edmond Dantes posted:

This happens to me with movies way more than games. But when it happens with either I just usually end up watching some gameplay streams in any case

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I do the same, and a lot of the time I kind of want to play a multiplayer game but then remember that frequently ends at best boringly. Also long games like rpgs and Horizon I feel like I need a big chunk of time to devote to it that I may not have.

I'm going to try not also listening to a stream or podcast at the same time as trying to play games. That should help with attention.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sefal posted:

I have experienced this multiple times. I think the root of it is, After work. I'm just too tired too start up a new game and learn it all over, really pay attention. If I pop up something quick and something I already know. its much easier to just play a few rocket league matches. binding of isaac, overwatch.

What helps me, is just picking 1 game. Sticking it in, and just sitting through it for atleast 2 hours before it clicks.

This is what helped me. Plopping down in front of a massive backlog is paralyzing. Picking a handful of titles to focus on is what is getting me through it.

On that topic, I've picked up Dying Light again and while I really liked the scrappy survival of the beginning of the game I'm not sure that I like it now. The game's started throwing more and more gun-slinging enemies at me, which has gotten me into the habit of using my own guns. This has exposed several things to me: the gunplay feels bad, the AI used for human enemies can't deal with a gun-toting player intelligently, and while the game warns you about creating noise attracting dangerous zombies it really isn't a big deal during the day. Nighttime still feels good and dangerous and rewarding but daytime is a boring cakewalk at this point.

E: also prune your backlog vigorously. Don't feel obligated to keep playing a game you're not enjoying. I'm gonna drop Light if it doesn't pick up VERY soon

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is when you look at the games that you don't actually really want to play and start deleting them from your system until you start getting to the games where you have to start asking yourself interesting questions about why you did or didn't want to play a game you're staring at on your harddrive that's been there for years. Usually in my case there's a lot of "why didn't I play this, I remember it being okay" and playing it to find out and then remembering the reason why you never bothered. In those cases it becomes easier to be super picky and just go "I'm not actually going to play this" and deleting it so you don't have to worry about it being in a backlog or whatever because the initial impulse of "I paid for it, I should play it" is gone from having been there for years.

But I've had great success from just culling my physical collection every so often and I've pruned my Steam list from nearly 600 games down to about 20 that I'll actually play (and that haven't been beaten). Deleting and hiding stuff you'll never touch on Steam really helps.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, I think it's a mixture of being tired and having a second monitor; I've just gotten way too used to throwing a stream/lp/whatever on the second monitor while playing, and since I don't like doing that with something I want to pay attention to, I end up booting Warframe instead of dunno, finishing SOMA or W3, or working on an LP.

/edit: ^ yeah, I tried doing that but I need to get better at 'giving up' on games. I'd be about to delete something, then think "wait, I remember having fun with this game" and leaving it there but not actually firing it up to get to that "oh right, this is why I stopped" point.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 15, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've worked through my backlog over the years by: a). Generally, never ever playing games in the years they come out, with some obvious exceptions here and there. Let's me focus on the backlog and hopefully get them cheaper when they go on sale. b). Trying to always balance two games at once, so that I can alternate between them without getting burnt out. c). It sounds simple and a bit :rolleyes: but honestly just sucking it up and making a concentrated effort to not start something else up.

It does mean that more often than not I am never playing the hip hot new release of the day but it's served me well over the years.

E: When it comes to whether to drop a title or not, usually I've been selective enough about what I put into my backlog that it doesn't come to that, though it does happen. I put in dozens of hours into Wasteland 2 before realizing that I wasn't having fun, as it was never the type of game I'd normally play/buy in the first place, and dropped Trine 2 hilariously fast once it became clear that to get the most amount of fun out of it I really should have some pals playing as the other characters.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Edmond Dantes posted:

Uninstall rocket league for a bit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i will never uninstall eu4 until eu5

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Nate RFB posted:

I've worked through my backlog over the years by: a). Generally, never ever playing games in the years they come out, with some obvious exceptions here and there.
I've become cheap as gently caress since returning to pc gaming, so I usually don't buy games at full price, but from time to time I'll grab something I really want to play on a whim and just play compulsively until I finish it; during last sale I got Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dishonored 2 and marathoned both games within a week. Some games just 'click' I guess.

Macarius Wrench posted:

Uninstall rocket league for a bit

I never played Rocket League; lately it's been mostly Warframe/Overwatch (with a brief FF14 stint but I never re-upped). I recently uninstalled Overwatch since I was tilting like a motherfucker and Getting Mad At Videogames(tm) is neither cool nor good; so I went for the healthy option and decided to take a break from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

To be frank, this can be a depression thing as well.

Like, yeah, not everything is depression, but I know my depression manifests in, among other things, complete apathy. It makes it hard to actually do anything because I'm left just not really caring and feeling too drained emotionally and physically all of the time to be bothered to play anything outside of the most simplistic, mindless stuff that'll help me get to sleep.

• Locked thread