Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SnazzyLabs has a decent video about his opinions about iPhone X UX (excuse the clickbait thumb and title, you pretty much have to do that on YT these days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvoXDSHO-mA

I agree with him about 3D Touch being the natural solution, but Apple doesn't allow 3D Touch to be used for features exclusive to 3D Touch... I'm guessing for accessibility purposes? Still, he is right about the fragmentation in UX!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So on my iPhone 7 I tried adding my credit card to Apple Pay. My debit card went on fine with text message notification but the credit card required a phone call. Did all that, got the text message saying that it's been successfully registered, but in the Wallet app it's still saying that verification is required.

It's been forever since I added cards on my last phone, should credit cards take a while to activate in the app after getting the text message or has something gone wrong somewhere?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kekekela posted:

Thanks for recommending the Apple Store for pre-ordering, thread! Last time I got a new phone was 2 or 3 years back and it was a pretty lovely instore experience.

Yeah I just used the App store to upgrade my 7+ to an 8+ and it was completely painless. I decided the X looks stupid and I use Touch ID all the time and am not going to give it up for Face ID. I guess the fancy screen is kind of cool but that's the only feature I am remotely interested in so will give it another upgrade cycle before seeing if the XI or whatever is worth it

It is still showing a 9/22 delivery date so LOL if they killed 8+ sales with people waiting for the X

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If you press the share button LastPass will be an option and will auto fill your user name and password. I use it all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Dislike button”" post="“476425358”"]
It is still showing a 9/22 delivery date so LOL if they killed 8+ sales with people waiting for the X
[/quote]

You know it. Add the limited production quantities and I expect the X to fully sell out in minutes. It’s going to make some fun news after all the backlash it’s been getting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If you press the share button LastPass will be an option and will auto fill your user name and password. I use it all the time.

Given how many exploits have popped up with LastPass, it probably tweets it to a bot account every time you press it too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You know it. Add the limited production quantities and I expect the X to fully sell out in minutes. It’s going to make some fun news after all the backlash it’s been getting.

Apple are actually really smart. Convincing people to buy poorly integrated first gen tech in droves? That's magic right there.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
[quote="“Khablam”" post="“476421239”"]
Did you read the page? Apple aren’t allowing you to write apps that do that.
Your app needs to keep the notch visible.

Should be noted Apple are not bundling a charger capable of quickcharge, so you might want to hold off til its known what you need.
Qi without quickcharge isn’t very effective.
[/quote]

I did read the page, did you read what I wrote?
If Apple gets enough negative pushback about the watch in landscape mode (it’s fine in portrait really) it IS a solvable issue in software. In which case it can be turned into something pretty neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“xzzy”" post="“476425658”"]
Apple are actually really smart. Convincing people to buy poorly integrated first gen tech in droves? That’s magic right there.
[/quote]

Piloting an apple first gen device is actually cool and good and never provides a bad user experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Considering the 8 can still be got by the 22nd at 7:40 PST and my 7 slipped to late October at 12:06 am last year... the X really bit into the 8.

Also I expect the X is gonna be a problem to get for quite some time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Feenix posted:

Considering the 8 can still be got by the 22nd at 7:40 PST and my 7 slipped to late October at 12:06 am last year... the X really bit into the 8.
I feel like it's a mix of the X taking the excitement away from the 8 mixed with the 8 not being particularly exciting to begin with. Wireless charging isn't widespread enough yet and a better screen is a hard thing to show to people viewing pictures of the phone on a non-OLED or non-TrueTone or whatever screen.

e.g. I still need to check out a HDR screen in person sometime because demonstrations like Apple's conference for the X don't seem to be able to explain it visually in any way other than oversaturating a wildlife photo.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Feenix posted:

Also I expect the X is gonna be a problem to get for quite some time.

Every size and color is still available for pre-order on Verizon's website. I just can't see any actual 7 users justifying this device, I know this is primarily focused on at 6S users but even then -- unless you give a poo poo about software lighting tweaks and arguably a much more fragile phone and wireless charging there isn't really a lot here.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
We are also on what would normally be an S upgrade cycle; which I have never had an issue pre ordered and getting day/date before. It's the non-S years when I hear horror stories.

That combined with the X drawing folks away from the Plus definitely contributed to this being painless

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 8 was doomed from the start. People slobber over phones for new user facing features, not a processor bump.

I keep harping on it, but if the 8 had oled it would probably be sold out right now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So I'm guessing iOS 11's love of replacing double quotes is breaking Awful app's quoting BBcode?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I blame the awful developer for not instantly updating for beta firmware.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The 8 and X seem super cool but I’m not on any JOD plan or anything through T-Mo. So paying almost $900 just for the 8+ seemed excessive. Figured the best thing to do is pay off the 7+ and stick with that for another year or two.

The 7+ still rules anyways, super solid device.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So I'm guessing iOS 11's love of replacing double quotes is breaking Awful app's quoting BBcode?

yeah it's a new smart punctuation thing apple added. the awful app devs are aware and it's defaulted off in the upcoming app update.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
As a 7 user, I'm find with getting the 8 because I'll be paying the same amount monthly anyway so why not get the next best thing?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The 8 has glass on the back. Does the x have glass because I had enough of that poo poo with the iPhone 4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ethanol posted:

The 8 has glass on the back. Does the x have glass because I had enough of that poo poo with the iPhone 4

The X has glass (it’s needed for wireless charging)

Also the 4S to this date still is the Perfect iPhone Form.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You don't need glass to get wireless charging. Plenty of Android phones do it with plastic backs.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

You don't need glass to get wireless charging. Plenty of Android phones do it with plastic backs.

Somehow I don't think Apple is ever going to do a plastic backed phone again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

.Z. posted:

Somehow I don't think Apple is ever going to do a plastic backed phone again.

Of course not. If they did they'd have Jony Ive talking about the beautiful cutting edge plastuminium that Apple "invented" and how it's the most beautiful substance in this dimension.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Over There posted:

As a 7 user, I'm find with getting the 8 because I'll be paying the same amount monthly anyway so why not get the next best thing?

I believe the main reason is you get no credit for having a year paid off on the 7. You also have to pay all taxes up front when upgrading to the 8.

If you wait to fully pay off the loan after two years and then upgrade, Apple will buy back your old phone from you (for around 50% of the original purchase price, I believe).

I suppose if you run the numbers the difference in the amount you pay is might be peanuts but there is a difference between the upgrade every year and upgrade every two years strategy.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pivo posted:

SnazzyLabs has a decent video about his opinions about iPhone X UX (excuse the clickbait thumb and title, you pretty much have to do that on YT these days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvoXDSHO-mA

I agree with him about 3D Touch being the natural solution, but Apple doesn't allow 3D Touch to be used for features exclusive to 3D Touch... I'm guessing for accessibility purposes? Still, he is right about the fragmentation in UX!

His comment about Marquee having issues with the control panel was spot on, Marquee brings it up in his latest vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__4JVtUTCk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rage-saq posted:

I did read the page, did you read what I wrote?
If Apple gets enough negative pushback about the watch in landscape mode (it’s fine in portrait really) it IS a solvable issue in software. In which case it can be turned into something pretty neat.

No one actually cares.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

I believe the main reason is you get no credit for having a year paid off on the 7. You also have to pay all taxes up front when upgrading to the 8.

If you wait to fully pay off the loan after two years and then upgrade, Apple will buy back your old phone from you (for around 50% of the original purchase price, I believe).

I suppose if you run the numbers the difference in the amount you pay is might be peanuts but there is a difference between the upgrade every year and upgrade every two years strategy.

Hmm that's true I didn't think of it that way.

When I got my 7 last year, I just happened to still have my old 5 in a drawer so I brought it in and they gave me like $400 off.

I guess next time I will need to hold onto my phone, but I've really wanted to get the plus instead of the base model so maybe ill wait 2 years this go around.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Of course not. If they did they'd have Jony Ive talking about the beautiful cutting edge plastuminium that Apple "invented" and how it's the most beautiful substance in this dimension.

Has anyone made a smartphone with a carbon fiber body yet? It works well enough on my dell latitude and it would be yet another justification for $$$$ phone pricing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well it's hideous, so I think Motorola did.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

Has anyone made a smartphone with a carbon fiber body yet? It works well enough on my dell latitude and it would be yet another justification for $$$$ phone pricing.

Yes, Vertu and they were $$$$ to $$$$$

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

.Z. posted:

Yes, Vertu and they were $$$$ to $$$$$

Weren't they just Nokia candy bars made of exotic materials with a concierge service?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Over There posted:

"I'm not actually paying for it!" is what caused the financial collapse.
How can people still be this dumb?

hint: if you upgrade, you're in for the payments for another year. You pay for it.

Clark Nova posted:

A few are using a high-grade ceramic that gives a really good hand-feel.
Expect Apple to pioneer it in 2021

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Khablam posted:

hint: if you upgrade, you're in for the payments for another year. You pay for it.

Oh shut the gently caress up that's not what I said. I'm turning in my current phone I'm paying for monthly, to switch to a newer model and starting to make payments on that. If I don't do that, I will continue paying for the old model till next year.

The payments I'm making are worth the product I'm getting. I didn't say I'm not paying for it.

Over There fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 15, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you do it exactly half way through, you are effectively selling your phone for 50% of the original purchase price. iPhones usually can go for more than 50% on the second hand market after only 12 months, but if the hassle isn't worth it to sell it privately, then it's not the worst deal in the world.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I think what he meant was that his monthly payment isn't actually going up.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Yes that's what I meant. I know there are plenty of people out there who have no idea that they aren't actually getting the phone for $80, but I'm happy with the upgrade I'm getting because it's the same payment starting over at 2 years, and then next year I can decide if I would like to do it again or if I would like to wait and pay it off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

buglord posted:

On the other hand I started having identity issues as soon as I hopped on lastpass. They’re sorta at Equifax levels of security incompetence and all my account flags stopped going off when I switched to 1Password.

Isn't lastpass the one that gets pwned all the time by that security researcher for google? I forgot his name but his reputation is apparently something like "you're completely hosed he wants to talk to you about security related stuff."

I'm not really sure I'd want to use a password manager that gets broken into all the time but ymmv.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn't lastpass the one that gets pwned all the time by that security researcher for google? I forgot his name but his reputation is apparently something like "you're completely hosed he wants to talk to you about security related stuff."

I'm not really sure I'd want to use a password manager that gets broken into all the time but ymmv.

I don't know if the vault part of LastPass has ever been cracked open, most of the exploits I'm aware of were with the browser plugin. Basically a malicious site uses javascript to scrape everything it can out of your vault. You're already logged in so it's been pretty easy to do.

But the lesson is the same: don't use LastPass. It's ludicrous to give business to a company with such a lovely reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I exclusively use Equifax's password manager.