Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

This problem won't be solved until we make even discussing it illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is this one of those cases where the jury was mega racist, where they were super authoritarian and there HAD to be a good reason the cop did what he did, the prosecutor intentionally made a lovely case (maybe not this one since that sort of thing happens more often in grand juries where they don't have to make stuff public after), or half of the evidence was inadmissible so they missed the real story?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

During the chase, Stockley reported “shots fired” to dispatchers over a police radio. He says something about shooting Smith, which court records reveal as “Going to kill this (expletive), don’t you know it.”

From - http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...567f53ed46.html

... how!?! How can a cop say they are going to kill someone, then kill them and get off. I really don't care what the circumstances are. That's insane.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Radish posted:

Is this one of those cases where the jury was mega racist, where they were super authoritarian and there HAD to be a good reason the cop did what he did, the prosecutor intentionally made a lovely case (maybe not this one since that sort of thing happens more often in grand juries where they don't have to make stuff public after), or half of the evidence was inadmissible so they missed the real story?

There was no jury.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Explosion in London Underground train this morning, reports so far is a crude bucket bomb that didn't go off as apparently planned (was on a timer).

Manhunt underway, saw another report that a suspect has been identified by cctv.

E: Unrelated question -- how the gently caress is the UN letting North Korea get away with firing TWO missiles over Japan? Isn't that violating Japan's airspace?

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 15, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Explosion in London Underground train this morning, reports so far is a crude bucket bomb that didn't go off as apparently planned (was on a timer).

Manhunt underway, saw another report that a suspect has been identified by cctv.

This is explicitly not what this thread is for. It's USPOL for gently caress's sake.

Let's not turn this into a "Here's what happened today in the entire world" thread

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WampaLord posted:

This is explicitly not what this thread is for. It's USPOL for gently caress's sake.

Let's not turn this into a "Here's what happened today in the entire world" thread

USPOL has always been all-encompassing.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There is a Korea thread and a UK politics thread

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

botany posted:

i hate that this is a question i have to ask but: which senseless killing was jason stockley involved in?

ah for gently caress's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHE9ViYNiJw&t=390s
Starts at 6:30, after the shooting, with him grabbing the gun from a duffle bag, a bystander's video shows him entering Anthony Smith's car immediately after they pull Smith out, at 8:45.

The Chicago Tribune posted:

Assistant Circuit Attorney Robert Steele emphasized during the trial that police dashcam video of the chase captured Stockley saying he was "going to kill this (expletive), don't you know it." Less than a minute later, the officer fatally shot Smith. Stockley's lawyer dismissed the comment as "human emotions" amid a dangerous police pursuit.

At the end of the chase, Stockley opened fire only when Smith, still in his car, refused commands to put up his hands and reached along the seat "in the area where the gun was," Stockley's attourney said. Stockley said he climbed into Smith's car and found a revolver stuffed between the center console and passenger seat.

But prosecutors questioned why Stockley dug into a bag in the back seat of the police SUV before returning to Smith's car.

The gun found in Smith's car did not have Smith's DNA on it, but it did have Stockley's.

"The gun was a plant," the prosecution said.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 15, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

God knows that geopolitics never effects the great US of A.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

There was no jury.

:wtf:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/908709196358660097

Facebook is basically a law enforcement tool with the side feature of being a social network.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Can we talk about state politics here, because my state still doesn't have a budget amd whatever is finally cobbled together is going to be wildly unpopular and probably put the state in Republican control in 2018. For reference, our current governor(Malloy) won bothhis elections by tiny margins and as of 2016 the once very large Democratic majority in the legislature had been reduced to only a few seats in the House and is now tied in the Senate

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Protesters moving towards the highway.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

That's a choice anyone can make. Cops take it because however cop friendly juries tend to be, fair bet that the judge is even more so.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Nobody cares either what you think or about JC as president, he has done unqualified good for bazillions of people since his administration

He's been a great ex-president, but his presidency was a) blocking Kennedy's single payer plan because he wanted to preserve private insurance and b) watering down a guaranteed jobs program to worthlessness

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/908709196358660097

Facebook is basically a law enforcement tool with the side feature of being a social network.

Honestly, it is pretty much in line with current 4th amendment law.

Other public statements can be used as probable cause. It's just that Facebook makes it way easier to make incriminating public statements.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

God knows that geopolitics never effects the great US of A.

Well, we can talk about it when that happens, not just post "a thing happened" about poo poo happening in other countries.

Like, he explicitly posted off topic content and yet I'm the one getting pushback for calling it out? I'm not trying to mod sass here, but this kind of response feels extremely unhelpful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

WampaLord posted:

Well, we can talk about it when that happens, not just post "a thing happened" about poo poo happening in other countries.

Like, he explicitly posted off topic content and yet I'm the one getting pushback for calling it out? I'm not trying to mod sass here, but this kind of response feels extremely unhelpful.

How on earth is what he posted off topic? You're being unreasonable.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

tentative8e8op posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHE9ViYNiJw&t=390s
Starts at 6:30, after the shooting, with him grabbing the gun from a duffle bag, a bystander's video shows him entering Anthony Smith's car immediately after they pull Smith out, at 8:45.

How the actual gently caress can they even pretend this was anything but murder? Like, at what point do the lawyers and judge (mostly the judge in this case) who worked to let this scum-sucking piece of human refuse walk realize that they are just as much a waste.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

Protesters moving towards the highway.

they should move towards the police station, and burn it down, with all the cops in it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ogmius815 posted:

How on earth is what he posted off topic? You're being unreasonable.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Was it unhelpful or are you just being defensive?

Here let me clearer because The Internet Makes You Stupid™.. A terrorist attack on one of our closest allies is worth at least a passing loving mention.

Another cop got away with impunity and I'm in no mood to coddle any of you fuckers today.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Amused to Death posted:

Can we talk about state politics here, because my state still doesn't have a budget amd whatever is finally cobbled together is going to be wildly unpopular and probably put the state in Republican control in 2018. For reference, our current governor(Malloy) won bothhis elections by tiny margins and as of 2016 the once very large Democratic majority in the legislature had been reduced to only a few seats in the House and is now tied in the Senate

Yes, state politics is fine

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jason Stockley, the cop who said "we're gonna kill this motherfucker," had his partner ram and disable the man's car, then ran up and shot him 5 times and probably planted a gun in the car, was just declared not guilty in St Louis.

The National Guard is already there, but it would appear more are heading in soon. I still have friends that are in and there's some movement on the back end, because Greitens has a boner for activating the National Guard.

It's time for America to break up.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The transition from feudalism to democracy hosed us out of Poetic Justice, and that's bad because that guy should have to eat those casings out of a fire.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Legit I'm leaning toward burning down the precinct or the place the judge works out of as a reasonable response.

Its not irrational, and seems pretty justified, it certainly is less cost than a human life.

Come at me property rights mooks:v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Moatman posted:

How the actual gently caress can they even pretend this was anything but murder? Like, at what point do the lawyers and judge (mostly the judge in this case) who worked to let this scum-sucking piece of human refuse walk realize that they are just as much a waste.

I think you'll find that the Suspeted Perpetrator was in fact not an angel. And the cop no doubt felt his life was in danger as everything there was clearly taken out of context.

RuanGacho posted:

Yes, state politics is fine

My state's politics currently has our Tea Party Fucknugget Governor, former Turtle challenger Matt Bevin, saying that the office of the State's Attorney General should be appointed by the Governor and not elected. Of course this has nothing to do with the fact that our current Attorney General, Andy Beshear, has filed multiple lawsuits against the Governor about actions that Bevin has taken (such as dissolving and recreating various state boards because he couldn't replace all of the current members with toadies). Andy Beshear is also the son of our former governor, Steve Beshear, who is responsible for the Kynect success story even having a chance to happen.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 15, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Can we stop pretending that terrorist attacks and Korean missile launches don't affect US politics? Please? PLEASE?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
HE USED A loving AK
e: I know you're being sarcastic but I'm too loving mollified right now to react normally.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Moatman posted:

the court decision

tl;dr judge finds that the cop acted out of self defense over being told the suspect had a gun and does not find any proof of there being a plant weapon

bonus points for "in 30 years of experience it would be an anomaly for an urban heroin dealer to not have a gun"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Can we stop pretending that terrorist attacks and Korean missile launches don't affect US politics? Please? PLEASE?

I apologize, I saw BetterToRuleInHell posting and assumed it was something stupid and offtopic, as is his normal thing to do.

Sorry, KM. Honestly not trying to cause problems here.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

the court decision

tl;dr judge finds that the cop acted out of self defense over being told the suspect had a gun and does not find any proof of there being a plant weapon

bonus points for "in 30 years of experience it would be an anomaly for an urban heroin dealer to not have a gun"

Well, that is not how it loving works.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/KMOVMatt/status/908718967493136384

Greitens is a poo poo stain and will empower either the Guard or police to kill someone else.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Was it unhelpful or are you just being defensive?

Here let me clearer because The Internet Makes You Stupid™.. A terrorist attack on one of our closest allies is worth at least a passing loving mention.

Another cop got away with impunity and I'm in no mood to coddle any of you fuckers today.

Is it cool to openly call for the death of cops as a result of this verdict or should I just dogwhistle it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They are in front of police HQ now.

e: "No peace in this city until O'Toole steps down."

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WampaLord posted:

I apologize, I saw BetterToRuleInHell posting and assumed it was something stupid and offtopic, as is his normal thing to do.

Sorry, KM. Honestly not trying to cause problems here.

lol played yourself into a corner on that one huh

Seriously though, going back to my North Korea question, is the act of firing (multiple) missiles over a country not a violation of their airspace? How does that not force the UN to immediately act (beyond the repeated emergency meerings)?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

No Butt Stuff posted:

https://twitter.com/KMOVMatt/status/908718967493136384

Greitens is a poo poo stain and will empower either the Guard or police to kill someone else.

5% - Well, I guess you didn't like the verdict, that sucks :shrug:
95% - We've got our eye on you people :toughguy:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Seriously though, going back to my North Korea question, is the act of firing (multiple) missiles over a country not a violation of their airspace? How does that not force the UN to immediately act (beyond the repeated emergency meerings)?

Russia and, to a lesser extent, China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Russia and China can veto any action at the UN.

As long as you have one of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council on your side the UN can't touch you.

• Locked thread