Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr Interweb posted:

Whoa. :O

Never head of this Kodachrome stuff.

I mean, you have, you probably just didn't think about it too much when you heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rlDTK6QI-w

Edit:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BrianBoitano posted:

This thread when Trump finally starts tweeting again

They say a picture's worth a thousand words but this gif covers 100,000 posts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That black Somali immigrant cop is going to get murder 2 for killing that white woman and people are going to hold it up as "see, when it's actually a bad cop they get convicted!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zoro posted:

That's the only time we will see any of them go to jail or even the utterance of "police reform" from a centrist.
...you seriously think the Clinton wing of the party is super happy about the current state of policing

The problem is these jury trials are revealing a very deep societal problem - an enormous percentage of Americans don't think the police can do anything wrong, ever, if they cite "safety".

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This wasn't a jury trial.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zoro posted:

I mean, and I saw this with no endorsement of their actions, but we won't see a court do anything to a cop till he kills a pretty, 18-30 year old white woman. That's the only time we will see any of them go to jail or even the utterance of "police reform" from a centrist. We do, unquestionably, live in a society where it is legally acceptable for a cop to kill a non-white for any reason and that's really nothing new, the same kind of awful pushed forward to another century. You know how the KKK lynch people, these police killings are their new way of doing it and, just like last time, white people think black people are over-exaggerating it and will do nothing.

There's a case going on in Arizona where the cops executed a nearly-naked white guy (only wearing boxers) in a hotel hallway while lying on his stomach crawling towards the police, crying and begging them not to shoot, and they apparently have it all on body cam.

Even then, people are wringing their hands over "well he didn't follow orders (he was drunk)", or "he was reaching for his waistband behind him (because his boxers were falling off and since he was on his stomach they could see everything anyway)".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/janawinter/status/908394588297158657

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexzfinley/status/908706138262261767

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

theflyingorc posted:

...you seriously think the Clinton wing of the party is super happy about the current state of policing

The problem is these jury trials are revealing a very deep societal problem - an enormous percentage of Americans don't think the police can do anything wrong, ever, if they cite "safety".

Lol, this was a bench trial.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rigel posted:

There's a case going on in Arizona where the cops executed a nearly-naked white guy (only wearing boxers) in a hotel hallway while lying on his stomach crawling towards the police, crying and begging them not to shoot, and they apparently have it all on body cam.

Even then, people are wringing their hands over "well he didn't follow orders (he was drunk)", or "he was reaching for his waistband behind him (because his boxers were falling off and since he was on his stomach they could see everything anyway)".

I said pretty, 18-30 year old white WOMAN. They always change their tune when it's a white woman. Some weird conservative paternalistic thing mixed with a desire to gently caress the victim.

Conservatives have issues.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zoro posted:

I said pretty, 18-30 year old white WOMAN. They always change their tune when it's a white woman. Some weird conservative paternalistic thing mixed with a desire to gently caress the victim.

The right wing has a weird fetish about women carrying guns while simultaneously being super weird about women actually carrying guns.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
One of the worst things about my job is that nursing staff by and large is so pro-police that every time someone is goddamned executed by someone with a badge, the copologists immediately crawl out of the woodwork to perform every mental contortion possible to justify the killing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zoro posted:

I'm well aware of that, I am able to read. I was not disagreeing with your point, I was emphasizing it.

The cops can straight-up murder a white man and people will still blame the victim for it. Those people don't even begin to pause until its a white woman.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Well it would have if not for that drat communist traitor Obummer.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Already happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

P.S. The cop was a Somali-American named Mohamed, so obviously we won't have problem finding fault in this case.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My bosses' office is currently laughing aloud at the prospect of running over BLM demonstrations here in St Louis tonight. I feel sick.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

My bosses' office is currently laughing aloud at the prospect of running over BLM demonstrations here in St Louis tonight. I feel sick.

Can't run over people if you slash their tires

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Crap, forgot to attach photo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Cru Jones posted:

Already happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

P.S. The cop was a Somali-American named Mohamed, so obviously we won't have problem finding fault in this case.

IMO The only thing that matters in this case is that the cop was not white. The victim never matters, only the skin color of the officer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Report him to the FBI for making terrorist threats

If you see something, say something

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Honestly, what can we do at this point wrt to officer involved shooting impunity?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

At least file a complaint with HR or someone higher up

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Koalas March posted:

At least file a complaint with HR or someone higher up

Yeah at the very least its a hostile/toxic work environment issue.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zoro posted:

Well, they need to secure a future for their people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Since you're in an office in suburban St. Louis, telling his superiors will probably get him a promotion and out of your office; thereby solving the problem one way or the other.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, poo poo like this is probably how the murder at Charlottesville got started. Joking about it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There are people more concerned with potential looting than this travesty of justice.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cru Jones posted:

Crap, forgot to attach photo

*Filthy Australian*

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shayl posted:

Yeah at the very least its a hostile/toxic work environment issue.

Mention having black friends or family and the liability of a lawsuit from other coworkers who might have overhead who might also have black friends/family (because you never really know & it's loving St Louis)

If you have any poc employees leave them out of it though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

There are people more concerned with potential looting than this travesty of justice.

Hey riots are dangerous*

*"riot" defined as any congregation of black people

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ZorajitZorajit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04&t=193s

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

oohhboy posted:

*Filthy Australian*

Immigrant on Immigrant crime is tearing this country asunder!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Man, if you any smidgen of naive optimism about the justice system left in you don't read that judge's opinion on the verdict.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Mention having black friends or family and the liability of a lawsuit from other coworkers who might have overhead who might also have black friends/family (because you never really know & it's loving St Louis)

If you have any poc employees leave them out of it though.

loving St. Louis. I grew up there and I don't even know what I think about that place anymore. I liked it as a kid but its obviously got some serious issues economically, racially and with horrible violence. I was in a medium-sized town on the illinois side that was fairly diverse, but its not that way in general there and some people are such trashy racists....and some people are very liberal.

I moved to the west coast of canada about 10 years ago and I just feel so uncomfortable now whenever I go back to St. Louis to visit family.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Danger posted:

Man, if you any smidgen of naive optimism about the justice system left in you, read that judge's opinion on the verdict.

ftfy ;)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

No Butt Stuff posted:

This wasn't a jury trial.

I missed that, my apologies - but my point is that it's not even one of those "the entrenched power structure doesn't reflect the will of the people" type of things. Even if it goes to a jury trial, there's a very real chance that nothing a cop can do holds him at fault. We have to break the societal worship of cops and I have no idea how we do that.

edit: To make sure - I don't want to diminish the effects of racism on these cases, either. That absolutely exists and a reform of police "danger" attitudes wouldn't solve all (any?) of the racial issues.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

Man, if you any smidgen of naive optimism about the justice system left in you don't read that judge's opinion on the verdict.

The part that gets me is it was apparently worth stating that Smith had no bag of food while leaving the Churchs Chicken. So suspicion of a drug deal is the next car in this train of logic.

:suicide:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm still not sure why suspicion of a drug deal has to lead to murder

(I lied, I'm sure it's racism)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

KickerOfMice posted:

The part that gets me is it was apparently worth stating that Smith had no bag of food while leaving the Churchs Chicken. So suspicion of a drug deal is the next car in this train of logic.

:suicide:

Or maybe, just maybe... he ate in!!

Jesus loving christ.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Javes posted:

Honestly, what can we do at this point wrt to officer involved shooting impunity?

Federal indictments issued from juries in the bluest city nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Shayl posted:

loving St. Louis. I grew up there and I don't even know what I think about that place anymore. I liked it as a kid but its obviously got some serious issues economically, racially and with horrible violence. I was in a medium-sized town on the illinois side that was fairly diverse, but its not that way in general there and some people are such trashy racists....and some people are very liberal.

I moved to the west coast of canada about 10 years ago and I just feel so uncomfortable now whenever I go back to St. Louis to visit family.

Same. I live and work in the Metro East in a pretty diverse neighborhood and, even when I'm at nerd shops, I see and interact with people that don't look like me, and don't share my experience as an affluent cis-het-white-priv-lord, every day. But you go ten miles in any direction here and you're in the cornfield and these cracker mother fuckers are just itching to lynch somebody.

There are things in this city that I love. Partly since I've lived here my whole life, but partly because I think they have value. St Louis has too much history to be worth scouring from the maps, even when that history is grim and horrific. But I know I can't stay here. This is the rotting innards of the American Wasteland.

• Locked thread