Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Westmountdke posted:

Hey guys,

I used to post a little bit years ago but kind of drifted away but I recently saw a former professor of mine post a graph from realclimatescience.com and then i said that this guys reputation is poo poo but then he challenged me about the data. So I went to the website and downloaded his program and looked at the code.

Has anyone else looked at this? I got the impression that his code just averages temperatures for all stations that are reporting and assumes that's the average temperature of the continental united states. Am I correct? Is this guy really getting hits based on such lovely work? Or did I miss something entirely?

Hope someone else here has looked into it.

Can you post the code somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

You realize there are other mentioned studies besides that particular one, such as the one that initially drove his curiosity, right?

Oh I guess it got posted twice. Anyway... it's long and has a fair bit of content and pointers to other work.

Is there anything specific you want to highlight from the article because I've gone through the article as well as the paper that's the focus of the article, and the Politico article is scaremongering with stuff like

quote:

The ratio of carbohydrates to minerals was going up. The plants, like the algae, were becoming junk food.

when the research linked to posits a 5% decrease in mineral content of plants.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Uh, maybe the thing I quoted initially, which was not the paper by the math professor?

quote:

Ziska devised an experiment that eliminated the complicating factor of plant breeding: He decided to look at bee food.

Goldenrod, a wildflower many consider a weed, is extremely important to bees. It flowers late in the season, and its pollen provides an important source of protein for bees as they head into the harshness of winter. Since goldenrod is wild and humans haven’t bred it into new strains, it hasn’t changed over time as much as, say, corn or wheat. And the Smithsonian Institution also happens to have hundreds of samples of goldenrod, dating back to 1842, in its massive historical archive—which gave Ziska and his colleagues a chance to figure out how one plant has changed over time.

They found that the protein content of goldenrod pollen has declined by a third since the industrial revolution—and the change closely tracks with the rise in CO2. Scientists have been trying to figure out why bee populations around the world have been in decline, which threatens many crops that rely on bees for pollination. Ziska’s paper suggested that a decline in protein prior to winter could be an additional factor making it hard for bees to survive other stressors.

Ziska worries we’re not studying all the ways CO2 affects the plants we depend on with enough urgency, especially considering the fact that retooling crops takes a long time.

Ziska isn't the math guy; Loladze is:

quote:

Lewis Ziska, a plant physiologist at the Agricultural Research Service headquarters in Beltsville, Maryland, is drilling down on some of the questions that Loladze

That "Agricultural Research Service" being part of the USDA: https://www.ars.usda.gov/

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 15, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Oh so you ignored 90% of the article focusing on human agriculture and drilled down to the section on a weed?

Good job I guess.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
There's also this study and this mentioned in the same article.

The gist of the Politico article focuses somewhat on a person who first saw some weirdness and talks a bit about other research... it happened that the first person is the math guy.

Similar things have now been found by a very accomplished person in the field in a particular species over a longer time period and to greater cumulative effect, along with the other research on other species.

Shall we ignore the rest because the first is a bit sketchy?

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 15, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

my black gold

Westmountdke
Mar 17, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

Can you post the code somewhere?

So here is a link to the program: https://realclimatescience.com/unhiding-the-decline-for-windows/

and here is the code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5SDvLexTZmGY2p5NzFiZnBnV00/view

My former professor (engineering professor) posted a graph showing that the average temperature in the US has actually been decreasing and I reverse googled it to find it on the realclimatescience webpage. Then I looked at the code he posted and it seems like the author is assuming the average temperature of the continental united states can be assumed as the average of all temperatures recorded for that date and ignoring the fact that there are a different number of temperatures recorded in different areas on even the number of measurements taken in various locations changes over the years. I didn't look too hard at the code but I figured someone here might be able to figure it out quicker than me if I went through each line.

Westmountdke fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 15, 2017

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Love this sign

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VideoGameVet posted:

Love this sign
If everyone just drives across the bridge with no more than half a tank of gas, it should be fine until we get flying cars.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
like who cares if pollen has less protein, nerds, i don't eat pollen so that doesn't affect me

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

VideoGameVet posted:

Love this sign

accurate, my dad both denies climate change and insists on driving over the tappan zee bridge

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Just hit the gas and get across that bridge before it collapses!!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Just hit the gas and get across that bridge before it collapses!!

*Dukes of Hazzard theme plays as a Confederate flag made of smog envelops the US*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

donoteat posted:

accurate, my dad both denies climate change and insists on driving over the tappan zee bridge

God drat it, this was the first thing I thought of when I read that sign too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

donoteat posted:

I know that bridge. Good point.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Goon project: Convince Donald Trump to do something extreme about telemarketers. It'd be a huge populist bipartisan win for him and I'm getting like a dozen calls a day about my car's warranty.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Same but for my cat

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Salt Fish posted:

Goon project: Convince Donald Trump to do something extreme about telemarketers. It'd be a huge populist bipartisan win for him and I'm getting like a dozen calls a day about my car's warranty.

Yeah sure go ahead and tell trump about another way that scummy people can make money

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was eating a 16 ounce steak last night and I thought of you guys! :3:

I'm allowed to eat steak because I'm not planning on having kids.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone should have kids, the world of the future will need more Amazon Flex delivery drivers (at least until that job is automated)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wow sorry, I post in this thread like once a week with a post meant for the trump thread. I really like reading climate news but I guess I'm actually bad at the mechanics of posting.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only just now realized the stupid newbie avatar has changed, i thought it was all just one white noise poster on a tear

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I was eating a 16 ounce steak last night and I thought of you guys! :3:

I'm allowed to eat steak because I'm not planning on having kids.

White child meat is the most carbon negative diet.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzNMqqKCi8

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arglebargle III posted:

"Carbon offsets"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Trump might stay in the Paris agreement lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lawman 0 posted:

Trump might stay in the Paris agreement lol

Did he just flip flop back :wtc:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

blowfish posted:

Did he just flip flop back :wtc:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/909153122764943362?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Some good news for people in this :smith: thread

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
E;fb on the WSJ link

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm having a baby

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

the old ceremony posted:

i'm having a baby

kill you're self and you're famil

- general goonthink itt

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

the old ceremony posted:

i'm having a baby

Congratulations op remember to train your child the ways to survive the future wasteland.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

5D Chess

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sunday on CBSs Face The Nation, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said President Donald Trump would be open to remaining in the Paris climate accord. Tillerson said, The position is being led and developed by Gary Cohn over at the National Economic Council. I think if you recall, the president also said, look, we are willing to work with partners in the Paris climate accord. If we can construct a set of terms that we believe is fair and balanced for the American people and recognizes our economy, our economic interests, relative to others, in particular, the second-largest economy in the world, China. He added, I think under the right conditions, the president said hes open to finding those conditions where we can remain engaged with others on what we all agree is still a challenging issue.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This was denied by the White House, fwiw.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

enraged_camel posted:

Tillerson waffled like VideoGameVet pointed out, but who cares? If Trump got back on board the Paris Accord, it would be in the wake of undermining it, or a Kyoto Protocol-esque non-commital "ok ok, we're sort of aboard, now gently caress off" situation. It's not like the Accord is anything but weak anyway. This pingponging is more a side effect of the Chaos Presidency than anything else.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Before Tillerson's comments though. So who knows what's happening.

Note: Tillerson is the ex CEO of Exxon and was rumored to be in favor of staying in the Paris Accords. After all, Exxon has 40 years of climate science to back that up :-)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

We can only hope...

WSJ: President may stay in Paris Accord
White House: The president would never stay in the Paris Accord
Trump's Twitter: TIME TO GO GREEN BABY

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Before Tillerson's comments though. So who knows what's happening.

Note: Tillerson is the ex CEO of Exxon and was rumored to be in favor of staying in the Paris Accords. After all, Exxon has 40 years of climate science to back that up :-)

Well it also just doesn't make sense to leave it. It's basically a non-binding statement of intent. If you leave you lose political capital now and every time anyone mentions the Paris Accord henceforth it will be with the side note that the US left it. If you stay in it and fail to reach the goal you can at least claim you tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I like the new thread title.