Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
is Andre Brink's The Rights of Desire is a good or a bad Brink novel? and which ones are his good ones? I already bought this one, but i want to know how long do i pretend that i'm going to read it one of these days.

also, I almost bought Diego Marani's The Interpreter, but it said it's a part of a 'loose trilogy' - anybody knows if it's actually important to read the other two books beforehand, which i'm extremely unlikely to ever do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

i joined this weeks thunderdome come show me up

Saty safe derp

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

CC is cool because there's a poetry thread and it lies dormant for months until someone comes in and tries to satirise poetry or earnestly posts something they wrote and it's impossible to tell which is which

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Some of the people in The Fiction Advice Thread have been published, at least short stories, in journals and lit mags, and have had readings at lit events. It's not all completely unsuccessful people. Mostly it's people trying just as hard as Burkion (and I don't mean that in a snarky way.) None of the regular posters want to poo poo on him for anything he did.

I just finished Solar Bones by Mike McCormack. It was longlisted for the Booker, and Irish lit twitter was a little peeved when it didn't make the shortlist, although some of that might be dramatics for the sake of encouragement. It's not bad. The conceit of it being one long sentence mostly works, and it draws you through the novel quite easily. That could as well be the prose not being really challenging, and the events of the story not very out there. Like the other book I read from the publisher it seems more like a single idea really hammered home over the course of a 200 page novel, with not much that draws thought out as you read, until the end, which I did really enjoy. The blurb on the back of the book tells you the protag is dead, so everything is coloured by that, and I do wonder if it wasn't for this knowledge and a desire to see how it ties together would the story work as well. It's mostly a treatise on family. Family, relationships, and what a nondescript life means to someone. I read most of it in two days, so if you're looking for a quick read it's worth a shout. I haven't read any of the shortlisted books for the Booker so I don't know if it was hard done by, but my immediate thought without being able to reference it against anything else is it's a fair call from the judges.

I have another Booker novel (Shortlisted) ready to go next, The Reluctant Fundamentalist.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
thats not saying much, ive been published at pro rates 3 times

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

derp posted:

thats not saying much, ive been published at pro rates 3 times

I've only skimmed the thread but for me it seems like people who are genuinely trying to help. Their pronouncements might be a little over-egged, but that's typical for a lot of writing things for me.

I've spent the past two days listening to award winning and just generally 'published' short stories at a short story festival, and in a lot of the cases I can't see what other people saw in the stories. I've heard maybe 12 short stories, plus a lot more snippets of short stories and if I'm being generous just two of them really stood out as something seriously worthy. With that being said, I've only just had one of my stories accepted by a free, non-paying, online journal so maybe I'm just blind to what others are taking from the writing due to inexperience, but in a lot of cases I couldn't tell why someone rates one story above any of the other pieces I've read or heard. The level of subjectivity when it comes to middling writing, and so the abundance of middling writing seems profligate in literary circles. Of the past few books I've read, all with good reviews and having won awards only one stands out as seriously great literature, mostly free of problems. There's a lot of tepid writing, and tepid stories, and I would say most writing is exactly that. You have the obviously bad, then a big band in the middle of writing that might just hit it off with you and a certain scene of people, and then very few pieces of writing that could stand as exemplary. My point being if the only writing, and so encouragement, critique, and sharing came from the top tier level there'd be a lot less out there. Possibly a good thing, but not the way the writing world is going.

There's definitely a little jealousy that Burkion managed to bang out a full novel in a month, I just don't see anyone really wanting to put him down rather than up the quality of writing. It's not quite a kingdom of the blind, but for any open internet site it's mostly going to be a lot of one-eyed men.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i don't 'get' a lot of the stories i read out there either. but i think its folly to try and design your writing for whatever you think it is people want to read. write what you want to read, otherwise you'll just hate writing, and its not like it pays anything so whats the point in that. 4/5 of the stories i sold were rejected at half a dozen other places first so, yeah, people like or don't like things randomly and it might not even say anything about how good your writing is. a rejection is not necessarily a negative critique and an acceptance could just be you making a personal connection with the editor based on some aspect in your story, and not necessarily good writing.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

yeah i don't 'get' a lot of the stories i read out there either. but i think its folly to try and design your writing for whatever you think it is people want to read. write what you want to read, otherwise you'll just hate writing, and its not like it pays anything so whats the point in that. 4/5 of the stories i sold were rejected at half a dozen other places first so, yeah, people like or don't like things randomly and it might not even say anything about how good your writing is. a rejection is not necessarily a negative critique and an acceptance could just be you making a personal connection with the editor based on some aspect in your story, and not necessarily good writing.

really nice insight from BuzzFeed's famous 2008 article 11 Essential Things to Know About Getting PAID to Write

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
post the novel derp

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The Belgian posted:

post the novel derp

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
here derp, here's an the opening chapter of the one i wrote when i was 14 to make you feel better:

quote:

A man with no face stared blankly at me, head tilted to the side in dumb curiosity. He'd probably had a face at one time, but it had long since rotted away, exposing the naked muscle and yellowed bone beneath. Black fluid seeped from where one of his eyes should have been. His business shirt, once white, was now stained with blood and other, less recognizable fluids.

The man let out a low, breathless sigh of a moan and staggered towards me, reaching out with one withered arm. Unable to tear my eyes away from the ruin above his neck, I raised my pistol, aimed, and fired. His head collapsed inwards with a small spray of congealed blood. He slumped to his knees, made a wet gack noise, double over backwards and lay still.*

Looking away from the corpse, I reloaded my pistol, and gazed up and down the dead streets of New York City. It wasn't a pretty- garbage- plastic bags, faded newspapers, an over turned baby carriage-** littered the blacktop. Behind me, a car had crashed through the glass front of a convenience store, knocking over a shelves filled with canned food and chips. The corpse of the drive still sat in its seat, moaning and struggling uselessly to get up. Several other corpses, altered by the gunshot, turned and began lurching slowly towards me. Their mouths dropped open, and the groans of the undead filled the streets. There weren't many of them- not enough to be a threat, as long as I didn't get too close- but I knew the gunshot and the moans would bring more.

*I am almost certain that this description of the zombie's death is inspired by one of the death animations in the arcade game The House of the Dead 2
**I did not know how to use em-dashes and so just used regular dashes

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Please don't post goon writing in here

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not bad. ive read a lot worse. if that's you at 14 id be interested to see what you can write now.

i uh... am not excited to post things from my novel because im past the honeymoon stage and onto the 'gently caress this is terrible can i even fix it' stage

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i think mediocre writing is exactly as good or bad as you're expecting it to be

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i finished satantango and it was really good, not quite as good as melancholy but still really good. a lot easier to follow along too. the chapter about the little girl was easily the strongest part of the book 😬

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chamberk posted:

I'm reading Blood Meridian for the first time in approx. 9 years and I'm liking it much better now - I guess it helps that I'm much more used to McCarthy's style, having read Suttree and the Border Trilogy. I love how it's a lot of

Are you sure, he asked.
Yeah, he said.
Yeah, the other replied.

followed by an incredibly profound sentence with byzantine syntax and diction. McCarthy's style rules.

I'm having a bit of an issue with a Nabokov I started, though - Ada, or Ardor - in that a lot of the phrases he uses and allusions he makes are flying over my head. I'll just try to power through; I made it through Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow and clearly understood about half of each, after all, and the next time I go through those I'll hopefully have matured as a reader to better understand them - as happened with Blood Meridian this time.

I read BM once every two years or so. The bear at the end always makes me very sad :(

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

fridge corn posted:

i finished satantango and it was really good, not quite as good as melancholy but still really good. a lot easier to follow along too. the chapter about the little girl was easily the strongest part of the book 😬

that's cool, i picked up animalinside recently and thought the pictures + words were dope

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

the old ceremony posted:

magic realism is fantasy, fantasy is magic realism, they are the same thing

*screams internally*

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I see people argue that exact thing pretty frequently to justify their steampunk novella as being literary

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's fascinating because magical realism and fantasy are polar opposites as styles

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
whichever mod keeps loving with the title is really imperiling my pyloric valve!!!!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the title hasn't changed dog

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Weird how many closeted pedophiles keep having Freudian readings of the thread title

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

pleasecallmechrist posted:

Nah bruh. It's changed like five six times

lol no it hasn't. changed to what?

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

lol no it hasn't. changed to what?

Here's a hint: https://web.archive.org/web/2016021...40&pagenumber=1

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm waiting on the next book in the Aubrey-Maturin series I've been reading over a year, so I actually took a book from my modest library and read Three Deaths by Tolstoy from the collection of short stories collections I have. I enjoyed it, though it felt like it was treading over well trodden ground by Tolstoy already.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

the title hasn't changed dog

keep this up and dead souls will be your autobiography, ghost written by me, by killing you.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I heard an author, Danielle McLaughlin read at a short story festival last Wednesday, then just happened by chance upon a short story she had published in the New Yorker. I'm really impressed by her writing. There's something very quiet and slow about it, unpresuming in a lot of ways and not pretending to be dressed up in deep literary metaphysics. What really strikes me is how the small moments she tells, and little bits of description really stand out as instructive in and constructive for the entire element of what she wrote. The story she read on Wednesday was about a little girl, and there was a very brief moment of an old man being leery with her, grabbing her, and getting chased away by another woman who lived in the same building with the girl. It was a very small element of the story, almost an aside, but the reaction of the little girl, almost a lack of reaction and misunderstanding of the situation really set up the mental space for the author to see the world as the girl sees it, and so understand that broader narrative.

Anyway, it's only a short read but I'd recommend this New Yorker story to get a taste of her writing. I could have bought her short story collection at the time, but didn't so now I'll have to hunt it down elsewhere. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/15/dinosaurs-planets

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

that wont load. sorry, the title has never changed

edit hey we should have a thread tag, that'd be fun

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 17, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

edit hey we should have a thread tag, that'd be fun

I already had to pull strings once this month to get "Falconry" for The Peregrine

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

whichever mod keeps loving with the title is really imperiling my pyloric valve!!!!

you can see the degeneracy of the mods' world-view by their constant perversions of the thread title

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 17, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I already had to pull strings once this month to get "Falconry" for The Peregrine

no i mean like under our avs, like the Wild Cards tag from the Bad Thread that I had until I got banned for toxxing for clinton

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

can you have more than one gang tag?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

no i mean like under our avs, like the Wild Cards tag from the Bad Thread that I had until I got banned for toxxing for clinton

oh a gang tag

I'll need to figure out what the rules are on those these days

I suspect the biggest hurdle will be finding an image that's appropriate

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A spider crawls across a table and a copy of Aquarium falls on top of it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

A spider crawls across a table and a copy of Aquarium falls on top of it

It's a heavy book

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Jorge Luis Borges slowly morphing into a cyberpunk elf, and back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

How 'bout this?