Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Is this a famous person? Or is she just the only woman to ever go to a cricket match? Why is she getting so much attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

iospace posted:

The real schad is nothing will come out of it more likely than not.

He'll get fired, the union will appeal the firing, he'll then quietly be allowed to "resign" with the stipulation that when he applies at the police department in the neighboring county his original department will not be allowed to say anything to them about it when they come around asking if he was a good cop.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/07/09/how-problem-cops-stay-street/414813001/

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Is this a famous person? Or is she just the only woman to ever go to a cricket match? Why is she getting so much attention?

No. Probably. She did a dumb.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Goddamn, cricket must be exciting as gently caress

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As opposed to baseball?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElGroucho posted:

Baseball and Cricket are the two sports where you get about... 10-15 seconds of action with ~30 seconds of lull between them (also football, but football also has a running clock vs those two). The announcers will find time to point out stuff like this.

In fact, that's half the appeal of watching those sports on TV or listening on the radio, the announcers just shooting the poo poo, fans mugging for a potential camera shot, and the players being dorks in the dugout.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

ElGroucho posted:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

haha hilarious!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Baseball and Cricket are the two sports where you get about... 10-15 seconds of action with ~30 seconds of lull between them (also football, but football also has a running clock vs those two). The announcers will find time to point out stuff like this.

In fact, that's half the appeal of watching those sports on TV or listening on the radio, the announcers just shooting the poo poo, fans mugging for a potential camera shot, and the players being dorks in the dugout.

This "whole girl in the stands" sequence is longer than a loving Red Sox at bat in Yankee Stadium

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cricket can be quite intense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-iF09EhFOQ

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

iospace posted:

How long does a baseball match take to complete? The shortest format of cricket takes on average 3 hours, the longest can last up to 5 days, with stoppages for lunch and tea everyday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ultrabindu posted:

How long does a baseball match take to complete? The shortest format of cricket takes on average 3 hours, the longest can last up to 5 days, with stoppages for lunch and tea everyday.

Usually between 2 and 4 hours. Technically it can go on forever but the longest they tend to go for is like 5 hours. There's no version of the game that could ever take five days though, that's insane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ultrabindu posted:

A 9 inning game can last usually between 2h45m to 3h, but that depends on a lot of factors, including what two teams are playing (Red Sox vs Yankees games are notorious for running long). Obviously if extras are needed, it can go anywhere from 20m to hours longer

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ultrabindu posted:

Oh, and the other thing to remember is baseball crams 162 games from the end of March to the end of September, in 2-4 game series between another team (read: you play 2-4 games against the same team in usually consecutive days in the same location), which would be somewhat similar to the 5 day stuff.

iospace has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Sep 15, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

You all catch that "hot cop" selfie that was going around a few days ago?

Turns out one of them's a Nazi.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Cricket is so easy to understand: hit a home run you get 6 points, hit it to the wall you get 4, every other hit is 1, your team bats forever then their team does. The little sticks get hit and you're out. Now you understand cricket and why cricket scores are 760-5

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

False, no one understands cricket. You've gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Crumpets are loving awesome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I understand cricket better than I understand myself.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

U-DO Burger posted:

False, no one understands cricket. You've gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

When visiting NZ a few years ago, I was from time to time forced to watch cricket. The game was easy enough to figure out. The problem I had with it was the fact that you could pretty much tell by 30 minutes into the match who the loser was going to be, and there was not a single thing short of a miracle that could change the inevitable outcome. It was sort of like chess. You know you are going to lose, you can see the loss coming from a mile away, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. But at least in chess you can resign the game and skip all that misery. Not so in cricket. You got to spend the next half of the day running that poo poo into the ground.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Nice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know that cricket talk leads to jokes about English people, but my Indian students are loving rabidly obsessed with cricket.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CommonShore posted:

I know that cricket talk leads to jokes about English people, but my Indian students are loving rabidly obsessed with cricket.

Same with the Indian guys I work with. They fuckin LOVE cricket.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExpXRsoEUc

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

i like that his entourage seems ready to stomp that kid.

also cricket is rad to have on tv in the background while drinking

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83oa1S0x9zI

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All I know is cricket robots are the worst.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TotalLossBrain posted:

Same with the Indian guys I work with. They fuckin LOVE cricket.

Next time they mention it say something like "Y'know, Indians always talk about how being conquered and brutally subjugated by the British Empire for so long and having that culture forced upon them was such a terrible thing but the fact that they still obsess over this British sport so much makes me suspect that they also miss it a tiny bit" and see how they react. :haw:

Edit: speaking as a guy who lives in Australia which is also an ex-British colony which is still obsessed with cricket, still has their flag on our flag, is still obsessed with the British royalty, etc etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much anywhere in the Commonwealth/former British Empire has some interest in cricket, except maybe Canada.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much anywhere in the Commonwealth/former British Empire has some interest in cricket, except maybe Canada.

Instead the Canadians corrupted American Football into weird Canadian Football

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hong Kong loves horse racing, but as far as I know don't obsess over cricket. I don't know which is worse to like though. A cricket player doesn't generally have a heart attack and die whenever they see a bee or think about a bee.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Next time they mention it say something like "Y'know, Indians always talk about how being conquered and brutally subjugated by the British Empire for so long and having that culture forced upon them was such a terrible thing but the fact that they still obsess over this British sport so much makes me suspect that they also miss it a tiny bit" and see how they react. :haw:

That's the point. We're using the tools of the oppressor on behalf of the oppressed. It's more satisfying that way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even countries can experience Stockholm Syndrome I guess. :shrug:

Australia still has the British monarch as our head of state. People have tried several times to change that so we can finally become an independent nation but each time a majority of the politicians go "We can't get rid of the Queen!!!!" and that's the end of that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Cricket is so easy to understand: hit a home run you get 6 points, hit it to the wall you get 4, every other hit is 1, your team bats forever then their team does. The little sticks get hit and you're out. Now you understand cricket and why cricket scores are 760-5

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Even countries can experience Stockholm Syndrome I guess. :shrug:

Australia still has the British monarch as our head of state. People have tried several times to change that so we can finally become an independent nation but each time a majority of the politicians go "We can't get rid of the Queen!!!!" and that's the end of that.

I reckon the end of the Queen will be the end of that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

a kitten posted:

All I know is cricket robots are the worst.

*Krikkit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Basebf555 posted:

Usually between 2 and 4 hours. Technically it can go on forever but the longest they tend to go for is like 5 hours. There's no version of the game that could ever take five days though, that's insane.

My mom is looking at this post and rolling her eyes

My dad determinedly tried to get her to enjoy going to games when they were younger, and she always went along to be a good sport.

One time my dad cajoled her into accompanying him to a doubleheader. Both games went into extra innings. Like multiple hours extra innings.

I don't think she's ever forgiven him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I reckon the end of the Queen will be the end of that.

I don't know, people love the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and would be happy to see them ascend. Now if it's the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, it'll be a different story.