Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
I hadn't actually noticed my dex was that high, going to do that, thanks

Went snake first and got a nice +7 Flame Bardiche so now to die to tabbing in swamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

Monsters will no longer spawn after initial level generation. This means that the only OOD monsters that appear from now on should come from vaults (which makes it easier to tell if they need to be changed), and you shouldn't stumble into random OOD bullshit because you decided to use autoexplore too much on a single level. The only places where monster spawns after level gen still happen is Pandemonium, Abyss, and the Orb run.

As a follow up, more monsters are generated when creating a level (roughly by the amount of monsters/XP lost from getting rid of monsters spawning in after level gen) and some monsters being generated as awake in order to still have monsters wandering around to stumble into the player (D:1 is exempt and this only applies to level generated monsters, not vault generated ones).

Whoa, this is a big change! I'll be curious to see what it's like seeing as some floors already felt heavily populated to begin with.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Glad to see my thread title suggestion still going strong. How is sigmund these days?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
still an orc wizard with higher stats and a scythe

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Sigmund almost killed me as a fire elementalist and I went back and blasted him w sticky flame, all over his face.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I know the obsidian axe is almost a meme weapon at this point but I think it would actually be something interesting to use throughout the game if it wasn't constant mesmerise but rather a chance to go off.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have never beaten crawl, but I've got this demonspawn... been sitting on this character on berotato for a long time. Between the ridiculous +14 crystal plate and a wand of haste, I snagged 6 runes and just entered Dis. Haste wand looks like it has been removed (?) which is okay because I used up every single recharge scroll in the main dungeon and early branches. I have no idea what to do next, as I have never gone beyond 2 or 3 runes before. Should I go for the glory and do late game stuff, or just try to do Zot and finally win crawl?

Like I said above, I haven't touched him in months but I'm pretty sure he won't be as strong now that he has no haste. Should I drop Qazlal for Okawaru? I had a fair amount of XP in spellcasting before I found the crystal plate, probably not worth it anymore between the plate and large shield right?

That armor is the best item I've ever found, and probably will be forever. Jesus christ.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, not really since you have a goodly amount of STR to alleviate the encumbrance penalty Crystal Plate would provide and the training gone into Shields has nearly mitigated the casting penalties that the large shield would give you. It's still going to be difficult to cast spells but you should be able to get to a point where you can do it reliably for utility spells and maybe summoning backup (since you already have experience dumped into that school).

Qazlal's fine for extended, you'll just be drawing more heat early from the noise which is only a real problem in the fixed levels of Hell, Pan in general and I guess Tomb too. Approach them with care, bail early and keep scrolls of silence for Tomb and you should be fine. But its perfectly acceptable to take what you have already and win; it's going to be dependent on the goal you have for this character. No pressure either way.

Switch Armor training for Dodging. Turn off training for polearms as you're already maximized the gains for a single-hander by hitting minimum delay. Unless you've got elemental evokers or summoning items or trying something silly with crystal balls I'd stop training Evocations too. Train Charms and Translocations if you're looking for utility spells and/or Summons for the purpose of Mana Vipers and maaaaaybe Shadow Creatures though both are going to be hampered by your elemental clouds spawning randomly.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Oka is also mediocre for extended endgame because Heroism is useless when your skills are already maxed, which they will be long before the end. He's usually one of those you switch from late, not to.

Powered by Death 3 is going to be your best friend ever with Qazlal's noise. Just have a gameplan, and be aware you're almost never going to be able to get enough breathing room to hide in a corner and rest to get your HP back in Hell/Pan/Tomb.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have 3 of the 4 elemental evokables so I was training evo for those. Since I don't have haste anymore I really want to have some new "oh poo poo" buttons ASAP. Thanks for the tip about training dodging, I didn't know it would be worth it.

Cleared fire and ice wings of hell before (with haste), I put him on hold at that point. Going to warm up on another server and get back into playing crawl before I dust the cobwebs off this guy, but I think I'll dip my toes in Dis when I start him up again. If I get my poo poo kicked in I'll just go for the orb run. If I can clear all 4 hell wings that would be a great personal achievement. We'll see how it goes.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Floodkiller posted:

Monsters will no longer spawn after initial level generation. This means that the only OOD monsters that appear from now on should come from vaults (which makes it easier to tell if they need to be changed), and you shouldn't stumble into random OOD bullshit because you decided to use autoexplore too much on a single level. The only places where monster spawns after level gen still happen is Pandemonium, Abyss, and the Orb run.

As a follow up, more monsters are generated when creating a level (roughly by the amount of monsters/XP lost from getting rid of monsters spawning in after level gen) and some monsters being generated as awake in order to still have monsters wandering around to stumble into the player (D:1 is exempt and this only applies to level generated monsters, not vault generated ones).

I think this is a good change. It's another indirect nerf to mummies, but oh well. Solves the two problems of scumming and 'death -by-horrifyingly-OOD'.

Lan Ji
Sep 5, 2002

And here I was, wondering why sandblast was doing no damage to Joseph.....

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lan Ji posted:

And here I was, wondering why sandblast was doing no damage to Joseph.....

Ha, that's some incredible armour that Jospeh has donated to you... Hopefully you can wear it!

Lan Ji
Sep 5, 2002
I'm sure crawl will engineer some creative way to serve me my demise, but so far so good as a lvl 20 GrEE who just got shatter online, +4 amulet of reflection, 64 AC and both a scarf of extreme temps and a shield of resistances. My guess? Hubris. I narrowly escaped a little vacation in abyss 4 from a distort weapon in elf, so going forward I'm definitely planning on slowing down my playing speed to a crawl.....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You definitely don't need to go to elf!!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Elf isn't that bad once you know what you're doing, and it becomes almost trivial once you have your first two runes and have done either vaults 1-4 or depths.

Lan Ji
Sep 5, 2002
I decided to poke around in elf again after clearing vault to 4, crypt, couple other xp laden places. Of course got bounced to the abyss again (and escaped again without too much hassle)! Add a +8 AC ring and a ring of Atheism {rPois rF+ rC+ Dex+4} to my gear giving me a ludicrous 74 AC and 3 pips of rF/rC on top of my gargoyle GDR @ lvl 25 now. I shudder to think how I am going to blow this game. Am I correct in thinking that you can still stack more MR even if it displays you as having 5 pips? I decided to up my shields to 20 as well, despite already having had it at 15 for the shield of resistances after finding a manual of shields somewhere, hopefully this wasn't a silly move. I've managed to hit lvl 27 in a previous game and made it to zot 5 but never ascended; this run seems to a be fairly special one and hopefully I can break my 3+ year losing streak as I am about to embark upon the seldom explored end game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Akett posted:

Elf isn't that bad once you know what you're doing, and it becomes almost trivial once you have your first two runes and have done either vaults 1-4 or depths.
Elf carries a risk of randomly dying to a couple successive crystal spears. It may be a low chance, but it's there, always. If you're already geared up, there's no point in taking that risk. The fact that most of the stuff in there won't touch you makes it more dangerous, not less, because you're likely to stop paying attention so much when you don't feel threatened, and maybe spend an extra turn or two in LOS of an annihilator. I don't think it's worth it at all, let alone on someone who is set on gear for the game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Elf carries a risk of randomly dying to a couple successive crystal spears. It may be a low chance, but it's there, always. If you're already geared up, there's no point in taking that risk. The fact that most of the stuff in there won't touch you makes it more dangerous, not less, because you're likely to stop paying attention so much when you don't feel threatened, and maybe spend an extra turn or two in LOS of an annihilator. I don't think it's worth it at all, let alone on someone who is set on gear for the game.

Yeah, I've pretty much just stopped ever going to Elf 3. I've probably lost more character there than in Zot.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I really don't think Elf is that bad these days to be honest. The Earth Elementalists are really your only major problem as they are a double threat for A) surrounding your character with chaff thus cutting off escape routes and B) destroying murder holes and thus exposing you to LOS of the way nastier elves. If you take the tried and true method of gradually pulling them out of the major vault it's quite manageable as long as you aren't totally under-equipped for the experience or unlucky with the occupants wearing/wielding something extraordinary.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah, I've only ever died there maybe twice that I can remember, although I've had a couple other close calls. I save it for at or near XL 27, though. Most characters should be able to survive at least a couple max damage crystal spears by then. You just can't take them for granted, like with everything else. I think demonlogists have a lot higher odds of doing scary poo poo in my experience when you get cocky and leave them alive too long. If you try to go there too early, it gets a lot more worrisome, but saving it for the end when you're probably just trying to scrounge up a tad more XP or resist gear works pretty well. I find it a lot less scary than Hell/Pan trash wheel of fortune by that point, honestly, and I can handle those pretty reliably now.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I agree. It's not worth hyping up Elf TOO much, because it's perfectly safe as long as you kite them out appropriately. But it's also true that Hell/Pan is definitely what you should be comparing it to in terms of when you do it.

I tend to do Elf after first two runes, V1-4, and some of Depths. Around then it's fine. Probably if you're a really loud character like a Qazlal worshipper, you should push it even later because Abyss sucks if you're loud. Otherwise, by then you should be ready for Abyss anyway.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Ironically, I do Elf more often than I do Crypt, which is kind of silly because aside from running into Khufu, Crypt is much easier on the whole than Elf 3. That's something I should probably change.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
To be fair, Crypt also gives piddling experience and loot, so it's pretty easy to just tune out it even exists and only do it immediately before doing Tomb.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
One-shot by Ijyb with a Wand of Acid. Remind me why Ijyb gets to spawn with wands that can one-shot you, again? Like is that just supposed to teach you "some monsters will one-shot you a small percentage of the time"?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's XCOM baby!

Oh wait wrong thread

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think it literally is supposed to just be a :xcom: thing. There's no way anyone could actually consider it fair.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Toadsmash posted:

Ironically, I do Elf more often than I do Crypt, which is kind of silly because aside from running into Khufu, Crypt is much easier on the whole than Elf 3. That's something I should probably change.

Crypt also has curse skulls and the curse toes or whatever they're called too, which can be very very dangerous, as well as silent spectres. Not to mention liches of both mundane and ancient types. I think Crypt is just surprising in its danger as opposed to Elf where I've been conditioned to expect the worst after 10 years versus the former which just recently became an occasional death trap.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Crypt also has curse skulls and the curse toes or whatever they're called too, which can be very very dangerous, as well as silent spectres. Not to mention liches of both mundane and ancient types. I think Crypt is just surprising in its danger as opposed to Elf where I've been conditioned to expect the worst after 10 years versus the former which just recently became an occasional death trap.

I literally just died on Crypt 1 to a combination of a curse skull and a vampire knight. Urgh.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Pro tip: just because you have a few good muts doesn't mean you should let the random teleport mutation stay while you clear Zot 5

I don't know how I managed to survive that

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

dyzzy posted:

Pro tip: just because you have a few good muts doesn't mean you should let the random teleport mutation stay while you clear Zot 5

I don't know how I managed to survive that

Teleportitis is without a doubt, the worst mutation you can get. It doesn't matter how good you've got it with your set, you gotta chug/eat the purple until that sucker is gone or else it can and will kill you.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
All of you saying do elf last/never seem to forget, elven annihilators appear in vaults and depths, and at least elf has the benefit of knowing exactly what you're up against: squishy humanoids with higher ev and lower ac, (all of which are susceptible to poison too!). Also the scariest thing in elf is the elementalists and deathknights. If you get hit with a max damage crystal spear and don't pop a fog or blink or do anything but stand there or move closer, you deserve to get hit with another. Consumables are meant to be consumed.

Unrelated: Poison vapor, animate skeleton, conjure flame, mephitic cloud, blink, a few others, are all so amazingly useful and strong level 1-3 spells especially compared to their counterparts. I don't want them nerfed, I want to know why throw flame exists. I want the other low level spells to be buffed or just straight up changed. You can easily get the first two runes with just the spells I named and a little utility or melee, but it'd be near impossible if you relied on like, static discharge, flame tongue, throw frost, etc, and yet still you can VERY easily get those runes with just melee skill. DON'T NERF SKELE/VAPOR/ETC, just buff or change the others.

Maybe throw flame leaves a small flame cloud for a round or two, maybe throw frost has a chance to slow non-cold bloods, maybe static discharge just doesn't suck against anything that's not a swarm of orcs (E: okay sd has a use against being caught out in the open against bees, but even than you're gonna get so poisoned in the 3-4 casts it'll take to kill em all that you have to pop a curing or hope nothing fast or ranged shows up during/after the fight. Even adding a range of 1-2 to static discharge would make it go from a poo poo spell to a decent one) or whatever. There's just so many ways to make a mainly spellcasting start not suck especially compared to melee. There's just such a huge difference between the good and the bad low level spells that should be smoothed out, but with BUFFS not nerfs.

DOUBLE EDIT: Why isn't static discharge a level 2 spell? Zero range, self damage, pretty low damage, enemies have to be touching to MAYBE be hurt. Compare it to mephitic, conjure flame, dazzling spray, vamp draining, even canine and confuse and tukima's and others can at least block a hallway/open a space to run or help save you in some way. Static discharge is the reason I hate AE starts even though I love the bolt bouncing and swiftness and the rest of the book.

This game is fun AND hard, but the reason it is fun isn't because it's hard. MAKE CRAWL FUN AGAIN UGH.

Third edit: Making static discharged have a short range would make gell's have a use other than fireball/iceblast/mephitic/whatever if you find both early, which honestly isn't that rare and might actually make people learn gell's more than once "just to see how it works"

AND A FOURTH! - Animate skeleton (been saying this is amazingly OP for years!) should really be made level 2, it's my favorite spell in the game and everything else I've loved has been nerfed... But seriously I just consider it Advanced Butchery once I get into double digit mp, and it only scales as the game goes on, and it provides a huge defense and some attack and it's just so good. But I swear on my life if skele gets nerfed and the other stuff doesn't get buffed I'm just gonna find a different single player game to pass the time with...

Also why don't any of the crawl servers (that I've seen) have a way to donate for server costs? If I could throw a few bucks to help host I wouldn't feel so guilty for going on rants about this free game that's accessible from anywhere.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

baby delivery truck posted:

All of you saying do elf last/never seem to forget, elven annihilators appear in vaults and depths, and at least elf has the benefit of knowing exactly what you're up against: squishy humanoids with higher ev and lower ac, (all of which are susceptible to poison too!). Also the scariest thing in elf is the elementalists and deathknights. If you get hit with a max damage crystal spear and don't pop a fog or blink or do anything but stand there or move closer, you deserve to get hit with another. Consumables are meant to be consumed.

The chance of dying unavoidably is there, for sure. Yes, that situation is an emergency, but there are terrain configurations that don't allow you to simply never see the thing in LOS again. Going to vaults gets you a rune, elf gets you....some loot that you probably have plenty of. Avoiding small but present chances of death is, like, the key to success in this game.

I don't go to crypt either fwiw.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

The chance of dying unavoidably is there, for sure. Yes, that situation is an emergency, but there are terrain configurations that don't allow you to simply never see the thing in LOS again. Going to vaults gets you a rune, elf gets you....some loot that you probably have plenty of. Avoiding small but present chances of death is, like, the key to success in this game.

I don't go to crypt either fwiw.

I feel like this is a weak argument because you could technically ninja every rune and just try and avoid confrontation all game except the orb run and win, but for some very small prep you can beef out your dude for little downside. Like i said in my way too long ramble, mephitic and vapor are super strong and super cheap. If you really turn the corner into a poo poo situation in elf you can pop a fog or ?blink or whatever. Come back later or never at that point.

And yeah I understand the avoiding chances of death thing, which is why I set my low hp warning at i think 65 or 70, but outside of shafts I dont think there's really any chance for a 1 turn death in this game anymore outside of like D levels 2-4 and maybe shafts a few floors later. Maybe paralysis but that's a whole nother rant.

E: LOL okay so I literally just died in elf 1 to a dancing dire flail of protection within minutes of responding, but I blame day drinking more than elf.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

getting trolled into carelessness by dcss forum nerds is a common pitfall for new and experienced players alike

I've definitely never tried mephitic it elf - that's a funny thought if it's effective. I think annihilators are dangerous in a way that other branch ending monsters are not. I've definitely died to naga sharpshooters and greater nagas, but with them there's almost no doubt I can leave and re-engage if need-be. Aquamancers and water nymphs are super dangerous and I probably would avoid an optional branch with them but I still find them more manageable than annihilators.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

getting trolled into carelessness by dcss forum nerds is a common pitfall for new and experienced players alike

I've definitely never tried mephitic it elf - that's a funny thought if it's effective. I think annihilators are dangerous in a way that other branch ending monsters are not. I've definitely died to naga sharpshooters and greater nagas, but with them there's almost no doubt I can leave and re-engage if need-be. Aquamancers and water nymphs are super dangerous and I probably would avoid an optional branch with them but I still find them more manageable than annihilators.

I had just cleared almost every inch of shoals before elf using mainly vapor mephitic and animate skeleton/dead and like <14 skill in axes, with mephitic thrown around here and there. The higher HD enemies won't stay confused for long but they definitely walk right into it and spend like 2-5 turns confused, and if you can put some confused weak elves between you and them, you can hit them with summons, airstrike, vapor, LRD, bolts etc. I just literally drank too much and tabbed too much between z's, but whatever.

It definitely works, just like you could use conjure flame, or anything to block a path (enslavement etc) and smite targeted poo poo. But definitely try out mephitic next time you elf, it's super strong.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 15, 2017

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/puppykicker.html just so you can see how bad I am, but remember I usually only play this game when I'm really hosed up. I'm terrible, yet somehow have managed to 15 rune (also like 10+ offline wins of varying runes but I won't claim those without proof) but that's how it should be. Don't balance this game around the 1% of vocal players, balance it around regular players just wanting to have some fun, yknow? If you just beat a dog without throwing him a bone sometimes he's just gonna avoid ya

BUFF SPELLCASTING STARTS!

E: OKAY I SWEAR LAST POST FOR A FEW DAYS
You can start as anything melee based (see the spriggan "cloud mage" win) and just pick up a few levels of spell schools/casting here and there and be set, it's so hard to start as a spellcaster and just pick up a few levels of melee skills here and there to buff your magic without screwing yourself over. Casting spells is so much more fun than holding down tab, this doesnt mean nerf fighting, just help out spellcasting early game if you want to open this game up to more people! Especially since evocations have been neutered so much much that if you do go melee, the best course of action really is just holding tab.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 15, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

baby delivery truck posted:

Unrelated: Poison vapor, animate skeleton, conjure flame, mephitic cloud, blink, a few others, are all so amazingly useful and strong level 1-3 spells especially compared to their counterparts. I don't want them nerfed, I want to know why throw flame exists.
AND A FOURTH! - Animate skeleton (been saying this is amazingly OP for years!) should really be made level 2

The weaker Conjuration spells are there for their ease of use to newer player who want to grab some mana and shove it at people. The blaster mage playstyle segues well into midgame and lategame booms, swapping the old for the new. (Assuming you can find the spells in the first place ofc) Throw flame doesn't have to (nor should it-) have comparable dps nor mana efficiency to conjure flame. One is more broadly applicable in simple and panic scenarios, the other rewards setup. Similarly, animate skeleton exists at lvl1 because we like necromancers and it's a cool/fluffy playstyle, albeit nerfed horribly with timed summons. Moving it to higher levels is just mean.

DCSS doesn't have to designed exclusively around grognard balance, stuff like 'flavor', 'fun', 'accessibility', etc are also part of good game design.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

The weaker Conjuration spells are there for their ease of use to newer player who want to grab some mana and shove it at people. The blaster mage playstyle segues well into midgame and lategame booms, swapping the old for the new. (Assuming you can find the spells in the first place ofc) Throw flame doesn't have to (nor should it-) have comparable dps nor mana efficiency to conjure flame. One is more broadly applicable in simple and panic scenarios, the other rewards setup. Similarly, animate skeleton exists at lvl1 because we like necromancers and it's a cool/fluffy playstyle, albeit nerfed horribly with timed summons. Moving it to higher levels is just mean.

DCSS doesn't have to designed exclusively around grognard balance, stuff like 'flavor', 'fun', 'accessibility', etc are also part of good game design.

I 100% agree, what I am saying, is casting flame tongue twice is always better than casting throw flame ever. Luring someone around a corner and hitting them with freeze is (almost) always better than throw frost. Hitting enemies with vapor (never misses) is always better than 2 casts of sting (since if you use sting theyre gonna end up in melee range anyways most the time. I'm saying thow X and whatnot is too weak, most spellcaster starts are way too weak compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Question: anyone tried webtiles on a chromebook?

• Locked thread