Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Yooka-Laylee is $16 on Amazon today. Seems like a fair price from what I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Einhander was so great and I have yet to see another shmup that felt the same

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gradius V felt kind of similar to me and maybe R-Type Final. They're all 'story' horizontal shmups at least.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Man I have not thought about the bouncer in 15 years

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I think about Volt Krueger at least weekly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Liver Disaster posted:

Oh my god those jeans

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Liver Disaster posted:

that giant cactaur on the back of the jacket and the words NO ESCAPE was dope

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Liver Disaster posted:

are those just insanely long jeans that he's had to roll all the way up like that?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

Oh gently caress, this is one of the first PS2 games I owned. The way the announcer said the title always made me chuckle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's clearly a fashion choice. There are certainly jeans designed to have a 3-4in rolled cuff, but I've never seen a full calf roll. That's hilarious.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Morby posted:

Oh gently caress, this is one of the first PS2 games I owned. The way the announcer said the title always made me chuckle.

the bouncer, ring of red and one more game were like the early ps2 staples

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
my first ps2 game was onimusha

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The Bouncer's villain's name and how the announcer pronounced it still pops into my head occasionally because its perfectly stupid and anime as gently caress. "Dauragon C Mikado"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rabidsquid posted:

ring of red

Xbox 360 port not very good imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno what my first PS2 game was, I bought it for FF X, so probably that

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
You are supposed to take those Shrink/Cut to fit jeans to a tailor

fridge corn posted:

Mine was Oni, my grandfather randomly bought us a PS2 near launch even though people couldn't get their hands on one, but we basically used it for DVDs and PS1 games until my oldest sister went out and bought Oni

Electromax
May 6, 2007
ZoE, for MGS2 demo

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Electromax posted:

ZoE, for MGS2 demo

Great game, I would wish for a PS4 HD collection, but I never touched my PS3 HD collection, haha.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My first PS2 game was the Summoner :(

Next was Tekken Tag Tournament which made up for it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I would love an Onimusha remaster or reboot. Those were some solid, fun games.

RichterIX posted:

My first PS2 game was the Summoner :(

Next was Tekken Tag Tournament which made up for it.

Tekken Tag owns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr E posted:

I assume Watch_____Dogs 2 is worth 15 bucks on Gamefly?

It is indeed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My first two PS2 games were GT3:A-Spec and GTA3

Lots of Gs, Ts, As and 3s

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I didn't own a PS until my 360 finally, permanently died and I got a PS3 on the cheap at a Black Friday thing, then repurchased a handful of games I already owned on the 360.

Which makes the first PS game I ever played...Alpha Protocol. Which is probably the first and only time you'll ever see or hear that sentence.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mr E posted:

Yeah, it's good. It's miles ahead of WD1.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wolfsheim posted:

I didn't own a PS until my 360 finally, permanently died and I got a PS3 on the cheap at a Black Friday thing, then repurchased a handful of games I already owned on the 360.

Which makes the first PS game I ever played...Alpha Protocol. Which is probably the first and only time you'll ever see or hear that sentence.

i preordered that game for the ps3, i was literally the only person to do so at the game stop i got it from and the girl working the register was surprised to discover the game existed

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

GT3 is the last racing game I really, really cared about other than Mario Kart. I also really loved Cruisin USA on N64 for some reason. But, after that gen, I'm super meh on non-Mario Kart racing games. Like, Drive Club is gorgeous and I like looking at it, but I don't care about it at all otherwise.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Two of my fondest PS2 memories were: 1) being blown away by Rally races in GT3, and 2) beating up bystanders with a bat on Xmas while my mom vocally regretted buying me GTA3.

My grandfather for some reason bought GT3 for his house so the grandkids could play. I asked to borrow it, he said "thats fine, just remember where you found it".... it never got returned to where I found it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Two of my fondest PS2 memories were: 1) being blown away by Rally races in GT3, and 2) beating up bystanders with a bat on Xmas while my mom vocally regretted buying me GTA3.

My grandfather for some reason bought GT3 for his house so the grandkids could play. I asked to borrow it, he said "thats fine, just remember where you found it".... it never got returned to where I found it.

My mom expressed a similar regret about getting me GTA3, but her point was undercut by my great aunt laughing at the Chatterbox station. Chatterbox is still funny today. That game holds up surprisingly well in general, but the definitive console version is definitely on Xbox IMO.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DEFINITELY a definitive xbox console experience, like are you even playing if you arent using THE DUKE baby!!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Morby posted:

My mom expressed a similar regret about getting me GTA3, but her point was undercut by my great aunt laughing at the Chatterbox station. Chatterbox is still funny today. That game holds up surprisingly well in general, but the definitive console version is definitely on Xbox IMO.

Ya, couldn't you use your own music in it as well? My roommate in college got it when the GTA3/Vice city double pack was released, but I didn't play it much then since I was on to SA (I stuck to PS2 back then except for things like Halo or Fable).

The PS4 ports are pretty decent.

Man, one of the coolest things in SA was how you could set it so different cars' audio systems sounded differently. The dinky cars had tinny sounding speakers, while the low riders had heavier bass. I can't remember if the PS4 version actually does that or not. Such a small detail nowadays, but so cool back then. Did GTA4 or GTA5 even do that automatically? All cars just sounded the same to me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

Does the XBox version have a decent control setup? Because the controls in GTA's 3 and Vice City did NOT age well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had Vice City on PC, and you could totally use your own MP3s on that version. I liked whenever I was in a high speed chase and The Safety Dance came on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was the same as PS2 I'm pretty sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I had Vice City on PC, and you could totally use your own MP3s on that version. I liked whenever I was in a high speed chase and The Safety Dance came on.

I preferred The Blues Brother theme, myself.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The first PS2 game I played was smugglers run :blush:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I preferred The Blues Brother theme, myself.

Benny Hill theme is always appropriate to my driving style in GTA

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mine was Armored Core 2, loved me some robots.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

but I didn't get a memory card until like 3 weeks after the console came out (My parents didn't understand why i didn't just play the first level over and over like when they played videogames as kids)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

First PS2 game was DOA2, I bought the game and a memory card before I even had the console so that I could play at other people's houses.

Then I got SSX and ZOE.

It's true though, PS2 gen officially started with GTA3, everybody had that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mr E posted: