Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Iron Rose posted:

Cuz at least Kissinger did his absolute best to secure American interests. You can quibble over his methods, but he sure as hell isn't a traitor.

It could be argued that Manning was doing her best to secure American interests as well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It can also be argued that Kissinger served his and his ilks interests rather than the country as a whole.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Iron Rose posted:

Cuz at least Kissinger did his absolute best to secure American interests. You can quibble over his methods, but he sure as hell isn't a traitor.

He's a monster... but he's OUR monster.

I don't really give a poo poo one way or the other but Harvard looks like a bunch of jibbering idiots who seemingly can't tell whether the sun is going to set today and rise tomorrow.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 15, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Internet Wizard posted:

It could be argued that Manning was doing her best to secure American interests as well, though.

I rather doubt even Manning thinks that's true, and given how the diplomatic cables leaks hosed our diplomatic relations with a bunch of different countries I'm not finding that argument terribly compelling.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/908696096599310336

This one is particularly egregious. What the gently caress does it take to convict a murdering cop?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This one is particularly egregious. What the gently caress does it take to convict a murdering cop?

A mob

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Iron Rose posted:

I rather doubt even Manning thinks that's true, and given how the diplomatic cables leaks hosed our diplomatic relations with a bunch of different countries I'm not finding that argument terribly compelling.

If only she'd done her crimes in 2017, she could be President!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In a better timeline, the Feds might step in.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Maybe if tou dropped acid first.

Manning got kicked out her dad's house by her stepmom. Joined the army because she's an idiot. Had a few serious security violations early on. Was still brought to Iraq because that's what happens when you fight forever wars and chase away everyone who is talented and reliable. There, she routinely showed up to work late until she was punished with extra duty, and responded to this by flipping over a table full of laptops and punching her female supervisor in the face. Then she hands over tens of thousands of classified documents to a foreign national who tells her that maybe collaborators deserve to die. None of these were curated or redacted in any way, just dumped on mass because she was mad at the army.

Edit: Foreign national in question was Assange. Russian agent, rapist, and all around sociopath.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Now we've got a President that can do the same if not worse

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Possible explosion in London

e from Reuters

quote:

Update: LONDON, Sept 15 (Reuters) - British security services have identified a suspect involved in the bombing of a busy commuter train in west London with the help of surveillance footage, Sky News reported, citing security sources.

"Security sources say they've identified a suspect involved in the Parsons Green bombing, with the aid of CCTV footage," Mark White, a home affairs correspondent for Sky News, said on Twitter.

Earlier story follows:

LONDON, Sept 15 (Reuters) - A home-made bomb on a packed rush-hour commuter train in London engulfed a carriage in flames and injured 22 people on Friday in what police said was Britain's fifth terrorism incident this year, but apparently failed to fully explode.

Passengers on board a train heading into the capital fled in panic as the fire erupted at Parsons Green underground station in West London at 8.20 a.m. (0720 GMT).

Some suffered burns while others were injured in a stampede to escape. The National Health Service said 22 people had been taken to London hospitals, most believed to be suffering flash burns. None were thought to be in a serious condition, the ambulance service said.

"We now assess that this was a detonation of an improvised explosive device," Britain's top counter-terrorism officer Mark Rowley told reporters.

Police said officers were making urgent inquiries involving hundreds of detectives backed by the intelligence services to find out who was responsible.

Rowley declined to say if the suspected bomber had been on the train, saying it was a live investigation.

Pictures taken at the scene showed a slightly-charred white bucket with a supermarket freezer bag on the floor of one train carriage. The bucket, still intact, was in flames and there appeared to be wires coming out of the top.

"I was on second carriage from the back. I just heard a kind of whoosh. I looked up and saw the whole carriage engulfed in flames making its way towards me," Ola Fayankinnu, who was on the train, told Reuters.

"There were phones, hats, bags all over the place and when I looked back I saw a bag with flames."

Charlie Craven said he had just got on the train when the device exploded.

"Literally within three seconds of putting your bag down, the doors just closing, we hear a loud explosion," he told Reuters. "I looked around and saw this massive fireball ... coming down the carriage."

He said terrified passengers fled, fearing a second explosion or a gunman, with people being knocked to the ground and crushed in the stampede to escape.

Outside the station, a woman was carried off on a stretcher with her legs covered in a foil blanket while others were led away swathed in bandages.

"KEEP CALM"

In 2005, 52 people were killed when four British Islamists carried out suicide bomb attacks on three London underground trains and a bus and this year Britain has suffered four attacks which killed a total of 36 people.

Prime Minister Theresa May returned to London to chair a meeting of Britain's emergency response committee later on Friday.

"My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and the emergency services who, once again, are responding swiftly and bravely to a suspected terrorist incident," May said.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said people should "keep calm" and continue their lives as normal.

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist," U.S. President Donald Trump said on Twitter. "These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!"

British police have not said anything about who could be behind the attack.

However, a U.S. law enforcement official and a U.S. intelligence source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the attack might well have been carried out in response to recent Islamic State video messages urging would-be militants to attack trains and other public transport.

The officials said the device "doesn’t look very professionally built" and said its rudimentary design suggested the attack was carried out by someone inspired by Islamic State propaganda rather than by a well-trained cell.

UK security services believe those behind some of the militant incidents in Britain this year had probably been acting alone and likely radicalized by online material.

In March this year, a man drove a car into pedestrians on London's Westminster Bridge killing four, before he stabbed a policeman to death outside parliament.

A further 22 people were killed in a suicide bombing at a pop concert in Manchester in May and the following month three Islamist militants drove into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing people at nearby restaurants and bars, killing eight.

In June, a van was driven into worshippers near a mosque in north London which left one man dead.

On Thursday, figures showed there had been a record number of terrorism-related arrests in the last year and earlier this week Britain's most senior counter-terrorism officer Mark Rowley said there had been a shift-change in the threat.

In the three years until March this year, police foiled 13 potential attacks but in the next 17 weeks, there were the four attacks while the authorities thwarted six others, Rowley said. (Additional reporting by Kate Holton, Mark Hosenball, Elizabeth Piper, Paul Sandle, Costas Pitas and Mitch Phillips; writing by Michael Holden; editing by Guy Faulconbridge and Janet Lawrence)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah but that argument holds water worse than a bucket over a terrorist's blanket-covered face.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't remember this case at all. What was particularly bad about it? I haven't seen any video.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 15, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Possible explosion in London

It was Friday morning local, it's been confirmed quite a while ago, 23 injured, no dead, classified as terorrism fairly quickly.

Trump even snuck it into his childish Twitter meltdown-of-the-day/week

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If he cuts off the internet and kills social media, how will he get his message out? :thunk:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Maybe if tou dropped acid first.

Manning got kicked out her dad's house by her stepmom. Joined the army because she's an idiot. Had a few serious security violations early on. Was still brought to Iraq because that's what happens when you fight forever wars and chase away everyone who is talented and reliable. There, she routinely showed up to work late until she was punished with extra duty, and responded to this by flipping over a table full of laptops and punching her female supervisor in the face. Then she hands over tens of thousands of classified documents to a foreign national who tells her that maybe collaborators deserve to die. None of these were curated or redacted in any way, just dumped on mass because she was mad at the army.

Edit: Foreign national in question was Assange. Russian agent, rapist, and all around sociopath.

Manning's story is my go-to example for why moving unhappy people out of an organization is absolutely vital.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

I don't remember this case at all. What was particularly bad about it? I haven't seen any video.

He saw a suspect and proceeded to wave around some AK-47 variant his department repeatedly told him to leave at home, shot at a fleeing car, went on to chase the car while saying on camera he was going to kill the driver, rammed the fleeing car as it was coming to a stop, then executed the driver and planted a gun in the back seat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:catstare:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He saw a suspect and proceeded to wave around some AK-47 variant his department repeatedly told him to leave at home, shot at a fleeing car, went on to chase the car while saying on camera he was going to kill the driver, rammed the fleeing car as it was coming to a stop, then executed the driver and planted a gun in the back seat.

I'm sorry, did you say 'AK-47 variant he brought from home' ? That's not a typo, he actually brought some Type 56 knockoff with him in a patrol car to potentially shoot at people?

Did he also make traffic stops in a monster truck?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BigDave posted:

I'm sorry, did you say 'AK-47 variant he brought from home' ? That's not a typo, he actually brought some Type 56 knockoff with him in a patrol car to potentially shoot at people?

Did he also make traffic stops in a monster truck?

Yes, apparently with a drum mag too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

Yes, apparently with a drum mag too.

Which was apparently some sort of machine pistol variant because when he first opened fire on the guy that he later executed he was holding it in his left hand and his service Beretta in his right.

Unsurprisingly, he later moved to Texas.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
He should probably get them to change it to 35 votes to actually get poo poo passed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Which was apparently some sort of machine pistol variant because when he first opened fire on the guy that he later executed he was holding it in his left hand and his service Beretta in his right.

Unsurprisingly, he later moved to Texas.

Hooooold on.

Dude was going akimbo with a goddamn SBR and a pistol?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If STL burns it will be completely justified.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Hooooold on.

Dude was going akimbo with a goddamn SBR and a pistol?

Which he'd repeatedly been told not to bring to work, but did anyway. Guy legit thought that he was the hero of a John Woo movie from 1992.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Goddamn. If you have an enemy that is black, joining the police department is your murder ace-in-the-hole.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Goddamn. If you have an enemy that is black, joining the police department is your murder ace-in-the-hole.

Or an Australian.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeroisanumber posted:

Which he'd repeatedly been told not to bring to work, but did anyway. Guy legit thought that he was the hero of a John Woo movie from 1992.

Just to clarify: in left hand, Beretta 92. In right hand, AK SBR w/100 round drum mag. Being fired at the same time.

And somebody looked at this, presumably someone with a legal background, and said 'yep, no problem here!'.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://www.newsweek.com/jason-stockley-verdict-anthony-lamar-smith-st-louis-665585

quote:

People wearing gas masks hold a banner reading "Welcome back National Guard. Signed, Unnamed Civilian", outside Missouri
Governor Eric Greitens press conference, Wainwright Building in St. Louis, Missouri, in this social media photo taken September 14, 2017.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pretend I posted the thin blue line video

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That sign clearly says unarmed

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

Just to clarify: in left hand, Beretta 92. In right hand, AK SBR w/100 round drum mag. Being fired at the same time.

And somebody looked at this, presumably someone with a legal background, and said 'yep, no problem here!'.

"If you flee from the police and are black you can be murdered by a maniac with a badge and the justice system will exonerate him" is the long and the short of it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BigDave posted:

Even worse, the judge who oversaw the case had this to say about the victim.

quote:

Finally, the court observes, based on its nearly thirty years on the bench, that an urban heroin dealer not in possession of a firearm would be an anomaly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That is....wow. I have not heard about that cop story until today and holy poo poo balls if the place erupts into riots it sounds totally justified to me. When does it get to the point where those communities tell the police to just stay the gently caress out, they feel safer without them around? Sure as poo poo looks like it's heading that direction.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

Even worse, the judge who oversaw the case had this to say about the victim.

"Urban"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

Is this on record anywhere? Not doubting you, but would love to read it from a source.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
remember when some cops decided to execute some people during Katrina and had basically nothing done to them lol

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That Works posted:

Is this on record anywhere? Not doubting you, but would love to read it from a source.

The judge references an AK-47 pistol in his ruling. (p. 23)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...a450230.pdf.pdf

Page 23. Can't copy paste from the judgement.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

remember when some cops decided to execute some people during Katrina and had basically nothing done to them lol

Well it was tossed due to prosecutorial misconduct iirc?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

That Works posted:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...bc39191de0.html

Talks about the AK, but doesn't say if it was fired or not.

Also this is what kind of AK it was:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

joat mon posted:

The judge references an AK-47 pistol in his ruling. (p. 23)

I've seen memes about the Obrez but this is nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

BigDave posted:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...bc39191de0.html

Talks about the AK, but doesn't say if it was fired or not.

Also this is what kind of AK it was:

New call of duty story mode lookin good

• Locked thread