Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

Season 9 of Dallas is still held as the prime example of why you should never do that.

The spin-off show (Knots Landing) also reacted to Bobby Ewing's death and had a story where the main character (another Ewing sibling, I think) came to terms with it. Then, when the main show retconned the entire season as a dream, Knots Landing basically had to stop being a Dallas spin-off because Bobby was still dead in their continuity.

My grandmother loved Dallas (and Dynasty) but I remember going round to her house once and she had a full-on grump old lady rant about how much she disliked the short-lived reboot from a few years ago (so she probably won't be impressed if she gets to see the Dynasty reboot forthcoming from the CW :v:).

Patattack posted:

One of my favorite "somebody put way too much effort into this" things on the Internet is the Tommy Westphall Unified TV Universe theory, which is as follows: some shows crossed over with St. Elsewhere during its run, other shows crossed over with those shows, and yet more shows crossed over with those shows, etc...implying that they all occur in a shared universe. But because St. Elsewhere was all in Tommy Westphall's imagination, it stands to reason that all of the 400+ shows that can theoretically be connected to it are also all imagined by him, as part of some grand fantasy-world tapestry.

Richard Belzer has much to answer for. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Patattack posted:

One of my favorite "somebody put way too much effort into this" things on the Internet is the Tommy Westphall Unified TV Universe theory, which is as follows: some shows crossed over with St. Elsewhere during its run, other shows crossed over with those shows, and yet more shows crossed over with those shows, etc...implying that they all occur in a shared universe. But because St. Elsewhere was all in Tommy Westphall's imagination, it stands to reason that all of the 400+ shows that can theoretically be connected to it are also all imagined by him, as part of some grand fantasy-world tapestry.

It's impressive how much of that is down to Richard Belzer.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Goddamn it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember a comments discussion on the A.V. Club some years ago where there was one guy who got irrationally angry at the Buffy episode "Normal Again" (the one where a demon makes her hallucinate that she's a normal girl in a mental hospital and her adventures as the Slayer are all in her head) because he seemed to believe that all fiction exists in this aether and that no writer actually "creates" anything but rather just "discovers" it, so this episode contradicted Buffy's "real" life.

The "It was all just a dream!" angle is more lazy than anything. I wonder how folks in 1988 took the finale of St. Elsewhere.

Reminded of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode which suggested that, in a mind-screwy way.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Patattack posted:

Now I want a Malcolm in the Middle/X-files/Shameless/Breaking Bad crossover.

Now on to irrationally irritating movie moments:

1) Logan being a more emotional movie is cool and all but the moment at the end where he goes full Wolverine makes me wish for a full movie with him like that.

2) I want a Law & Order show dealing with all the lawsuits the NYPD probably gets.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Now I want a Malcolm in the Middle/X-files/Shameless/Breaking Bad crossover.

1) Logan being a more emotional movie is cool and all but the moment at the end where he goes full Wolverine makes me wish for a full movie with him like that.

2) I want a Law & Order show dealing with all the lawsuits the NYPD probably gets.

I want a Law & Order show set in the X Men universe where they are trying to figure out what the gently caress happened to people who got shredded up by Logan.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

I want a Law & Order show set in the X Men universe where they are trying to figure out what the gently caress happened to people who got shredded up by Logan.

Not even people killed by other heroes/villains, every week it's just another person Wolverine killed. Save money by just not licensing any other Marvel characters.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wheat Loaf posted:

More than that shows, actually, since The Wire is part of the Law & Order universe by virtue of Season 5. Also, Luther.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Patattack posted:

Everytime I see this theory, I want to just make a TV show where the first episode has the main character watching the final episode of St. Elsewhere and then they wake up and talk about having a strange dream and the series begins. Now the all those things exist in MY universe. Also, why does all this have to be a CREATION of his imagination and that he doesn't just have an overactive imagination due to watching TV, hearing people talk, etc. and he's just putting it in there because he thinks it fits?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Not even people killed by other heroes/villains, every week it's just another person Wolverine killed. Save money by just not licensing any other Marvel characters.

Would watch at least 2 seasons of this

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Now I want a Malcolm in the Middle/Breaking Bad crossover.

https://vimeo.com/79603607

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The intended series finale for Ed Edd and Eddy revealed the entire series was three old men reminiscing about their childhood, which isn't that bad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gaunab posted:

I thought Logan had just enough Wolverine in it, which to me made each berserker fight even more impactful. It's why I liked The Wolverine so much until the end, where it felt like the director said, "Oh yeah, I need to end this movie. Better have Wolverine fight this CGI'ed Silver Samurai."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Pussy Quipped posted:

Law and Order: MCU

"Our perp is pleading the mutant influence"
'He's saying he didn't do the crime? A telepath got him to kill his brother?"
"Yep."
"He's a known anti-mutant activist! Of course he'll blame a mutant!"
"His lawyers are going to play this as a set up just for that reason. I want you to dig deep, start knocking on doors in District X, see if there could be a connection."

"The ME discovered sigils indicating the victim was killed by lesser demons serving Mephisto."
"So, a summoning gone bad? Then it's out of our jurisdiction and likely falls under death by misadventure. We don't have extradition from the demonic planes so unless you find them walking the streets of NY, we're not getting them."
"Our vic doesn't seem like the sort that would be have anything to do with demons, though."
"Hmm... So, this is just a case of a random target of some lesser demons looking to get some sulfur credit with the boss?"
"Well, heard some talk that the vic had some human enemies, too. Maybe one of them got Mephisto to turn his eye his way."
"So, you think this a conspiracy thing? Someone did a deal with Mephisto to act as a middleman to hire some hitdemons for them?"
"Even if the demons are off the table, we can maybe nail some human perp for conspiracy and solicitation of murder."
"Start looking at the people our vic knew, find out if he had any HUMAN enemies who seem like they're suddenly benefiting from their untimely death."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Tunicate posted:

The intended series finale for Ed Edd and Eddy revealed the entire series was three old men reminiscing about their childhood, which isn't that bad.

Ed did get out. He enrolled in the College-courses with me. And although it was hard he gutted it out like he always did. He went on to College and eventually became a lawyer. Last week he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument. One of them pulled a knife. Ed, who would always make the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly.

Although I hadn't seen him in more than ten years, I know I'll miss him forever.
I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's actually a great Astro City run where a sleazy lawyer starts using superhero law to defend petty criminals. "Can you prove they weren't an identical twin from a parallel universe who they killed in self-defense?" "Doctor, are you certain the victim was dead before you began the autopsy? Rather than my client, can you swear you weren't the one who killed them?!"

Astro City also establishes that magic users always have at least one mundane lawyer on speed-dial to argue supernatural contracts. So you could have two teams of well-paid suits arguing subclauses to determine who owns whose soul.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She-Hulk's own series originally revolved around dealing with legal shenanigans with superheroes, and also that Marvel Comics exist in-universe and can be submitted as evidence. It got a lil weird. And occasionally mixing it up with Matt Murdock. (and Phoenix Wright in MvC3)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminded of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode which suggested that, in a mind-screwy way.

People got really mad about that episode because it suggested that the all events of Star Trek are actually fiction written by a person from mundane Earth. Which of course that's exactly what they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

zoux posted:

People got really mad about that episode because it suggested that the all events of Star Trek are actually fiction written by a person from mundane Earth. Which of course that's exactly what they are.

They actually were considering having the series end with Benny Russel watching a production of his work being made.

Interestingly, the implication is that Sisko is a dream of Russel, and Russel is also a dream of Sisko.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

zoux posted:

Isn't it weird how a work of fiction suddenly feels more "fake" if it's shown to be fictional/imaginary in-universe? I felt the same way when Tarantino said that Kill Bill was part of a "movie movie universe", as a movie that characters in the Pulp Fiction universe might go to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patattack posted:

Isn't it weird how a work of fiction suddenly feels more "fake" if it's shown to be fictional/imaginary in-universe? I felt the same way when Tarantino said that Kill Bill was part of a "movie movie universe", as a movie that characters in the Pulp Fiction universe might go to watch.

To be generous, I think it challenges the escapist nature of fiction.

To be not generous, it reminds all the genre loving nerds who fantasize about living in the Star Trek Wars of the Ring Zombie Apocalypse universe that they can't. That's also, imo, why they obsess about plot holes and continuity lapses, because it reinforces the unreality of the universe they wish was real.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sorta the same issue is how I can't stand reality TV because I know it's fake but it's trying to pretend it's real. Sure some of it might be real but I'm always left wondering how much of what I see is fake editing wrapped around a bit of truth.

So many of my friends don't get it, afterall <thing I like> is also not real, but it's not trying to pretend it's real. It's totally different :colbert:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Agent355 posted:

Sorta the same issue is how I can't stand reality TV because I know it's fake but it's trying to pretend it's real. Sure some of it might be real but I'm always left wondering how much of what I see is fake editing wrapped around a bit of truth.

So many of my friends don't get it, afterall <thing I like> is also not real, but it's not trying to pretend it's real. It's totally different :colbert:

That's definitely one of the reasons that reality TV is awful. Every single one has the same stupid editing, same stupid music, same "confessionals" same cliffhangers that amount to nothing at every commercial break. It's all so contrived.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Patattack posted:

So, Tarantino says he wants to quit making films once he's gone 10 out (and I believe his next one will be number nine). Well, in light of this, what he should do is his own version of MST3K except it's Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in character as Jules and Vincent slagging the movies they're watching.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, Tarantino says he wants to quit making films once he's gone 10 out (and I believe his next one will be number nine). Well, in light of this, what he should do is his own version of MST3K except it's Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in character as Jules and Vincent slagging the movies they're watching.

Not gonna lie, I would watch the hell out of that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Armacham posted:

That's definitely one of the reasons that reality TV is awful. Every single one has the same stupid editing, same stupid music, same "confessionals" same cliffhangers that amount to nothing at every commercial break. It's all so contrived.

The no-drama ones like Henson's creature shop challenge are fun, since they can't really use the generic forced drama.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do reality TV shows still have screenwriters like The Hills did?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Tunicate posted:

The no-drama ones like Henson's creature shop challenge are fun, since they can't really use the generic forced drama.

My wife and I started watching this show on PBS called Market Warriors that was actually entertaining. It was like antiques roadshow combined with Flea Market Flip. A little bit of stupid drama but they regularly go into a lot of detail into the history/background of some of the different objects.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The ones I worked on didn't have screenwriters, the producers just wrote a general outline of where the scene needed to go.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Wheat Loaf posted:

nah, it's more like pro wrestling, where the producers know what story they want and they just have the talent improv their way there

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Related to the new IT movie, just an aesthetic thing - I hate when tv shows and movies try to make clowns look evil with deliberately creepy makeup. Considering the thing that is supposed to be creepy about them is the juxtaposition of false mirth it loses something when they look more like a member of ICP than a birthday clown, because the disconnect between "His job is to make you laugh" and "He just killed that person" should be enough. When they look evil, it takes away that disconnect because suddenly the question is "What is that idiot child doing with that clearly evil clown" and not "Oh no the clown has fooled the person and will do terrible things to them"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BioEnchanted posted:

Related to the new IT movie, just an aesthetic thing - I hate when tv shows and movies try to make clowns look evil with deliberately creepy makeup. Considering the thing that is supposed to be creepy about them is the juxtaposition of false mirth it loses something when they look more like a member of ICP than a birthday clown, because the disconnect between "His job is to make you laugh" and "He just killed that person" should be enough. When they look evil, it takes away that disconnect because suddenly the question is "What is that idiot child doing with that clearly evil clown" and not "Oh no the clown has fooled the person and will do terrible things to them"

But all clowns look evil and children should not be near them

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

JediTalentAgent posted:

"Our perp is pleading the mutant influence"
'He's saying he didn't do the crime? A telepath got him to kill his brother?"
"Yep."
"He's a known anti-mutant activist! Of course he'll blame a mutant!"
"His lawyers are going to play this as a set up just for that reason. I want you to dig deep, start knocking on doors in District X, see if there could be a connection."

"The ME discovered sigils indicating the victim was killed by lesser demons serving Mephisto."
"So, a summoning gone bad? Then it's out of our jurisdiction and likely falls under death by misadventure. We don't have extradition from the demonic planes so unless you find them walking the streets of NY, we're not getting them."
"Our vic doesn't seem like the sort that would be have anything to do with demons, though."
"Hmm... So, this is just a case of a random target of some lesser demons looking to get some sulfur credit with the boss?"
"Well, heard some talk that the vic had some human enemies, too. Maybe one of them got Mephisto to turn his eye his way."
"So, you think this a conspiracy thing? Someone did a deal with Mephisto to act as a middleman to hire some hitdemons for them?"
"Even if the demons are off the table, we can maybe nail some human perp for conspiracy and solicitation of murder."
"Start looking at the people our vic knew, find out if he had any HUMAN enemies who seem like they're suddenly benefiting from their untimely death."

Every episode ends with mystique being the murderer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Every episode ends with mystique being the murderer.

Including the episode where she's the victim

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

BioEnchanted posted:

It's the same thing with those Annabelle movies. Who the hell would think a kid would want a doll like that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bobkatt013 posted:

But all clowns look evil and children should not be near them

Here's the distinction as I see it between Clown Classic and Clown Evil, using the reimagined Pennywise as a point of comparison:

Traditional clown makeup is designed to give the impression of joviality, with a wide smile and enormously exaggerated eyebrows to attempt to make the eyes seem bigger, all intended to get the audience in a mirthful mood via mimickry - someone that looks happy is supposed to let the audience know that they are in a safe situation with someone who only wants to help them enjoy themselves. Even through slapstick it is intended to give the impression of "It's OK to laugh at my getting hurt because I'm not really hurt, look how much fun I'm having. You can laugh at me guilt free! Or in the case of unicyclist and jugglers they are doing skills that look harder to do than they are - learning to juggle or balance a unicycle yourself you may realise it's easier than you thought when you have the technique but when you can't the person doing it looks kind of cool, and the truly great can turn it into a comedic performance just by including a few tricks.

The problem comes because on a certain level we know that the joviality is a lie. We may see this guy making balloon animals and find his antics charming and his squeaky artworks mildly impressive, or if he can juggle we can enjoy that. "Look at this funny person doing cool poo poo that I lack the coordination to do myself". However we may also see him after the party preparing paperwork for a lawsuit because a ball hit something when he lost control of it, or doing something otherwise serious, and the illusion is broken. The person's pain isn't funny anymore because now it's too relatable, and the painted smile just makes the situation worse and adds a layer of awkwardness that becomes revulsion.

Pennywise has nothing of these features.

There is no exaggeration in that way at all. It's intentionally invoking the exact opposite reaction - it wants you to be scared of him from the start, with the painted smile being more of a smirk and with very little exaggeration in the eyes, the painted crying blood effect just looks kind of stupid as well, like it's trying too hard. It feels cheap, like it doesn't think the actor can make a clown scary without help, while the creepiest thing about clowns is that they aren't trying to be creepy. In a way, Coulrophobia is a side effect of a broken societal contract, something expected to be funny having the opposite reaction. There is nothing funny in Pennywise's appearance.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Sep 16, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Great Burrito posted:

It's the same thing with those Annabelle movies. Who the hell would think a kid would want a doll like that?

Apparently all the creepy toys who appeared in the Woman in Black came from a private collection.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Great Burrito posted:

RedLetterMedia talks about this but the supposed real life doll is just a normal raggedy-Ann doll. Which ends up seeming more menacing for its banality.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Here's the distinction as I see it between Clown Classic and Clown Evil, using the reimagined Pennywise as a point of comparison:

Traditional clown makeup is designed to give the impression of joviality, with a wide smile and enormously exaggerated eyebrows to attempt to make the eyes seem bigger, all intended to get the audience in a mirthful mood via mimickry - someone that looks happy is supposed to let the audience know that they are in a safe situation with someone who only wants to help them enjoy themselves. Even through slapstick it is intended to give the impression of "It's OK to laugh at my getting hurt because I'm not really hurt, look how much fun I'm having. You can laugh at me guilt free! Or in the case of unicyclist and jugglers they are doing skills that look harder to do than they are - learning to juggle or balance a unicycle yourself you may realise it's easier than you thought when you have the technique but when you can't the person doing it looks kind of cool, and the truly great can turn it into a comedic performance just by including a few tricks.

The problem comes because on a certain level we know that the joviality is a lie. We may see this guy making balloon animals and find his antics charming and his squeaky artworks mildly impressive, or if he can juggle we can enjoy that. "Look at this funny person doing cool poo poo that I lack the coordination to do myself". However we may also see him after the party preparing paperwork for a lawsuit because a ball hit something when he lost control of it, or doing something otherwise serious, and the illusion is broken. The person's pain isn't funny anymore because now it's too relatable, and the painted smile just makes the situation worse and adds a layer of awkwardness that becomes revulsion.

Pennywise has nothing of these features.

There is no exaggeration in that way at all. It's intentionally invoking the exact opposite reaction - it wants you to be scared of him from the start, with the painted smile being more of a smirk and with very little exaggeration in the eyes, the painted crying blood effect just looks kind of stupid as well, like it's trying too hard. It feels cheap, like it doesn't think the actor can make a clown scary without help, while the creepiest thing about clowns is that they aren't trying to be creepy. In a way, Coulrophobia is a side effect of a broken societal contract, something expected to be funny having the opposite reaction. There is nothing funny in Pennywise's appearance.

This is why Tim Curry Pennywise is the superior Pennywise. Homie just looks tired half the time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I was a clown (I only did whiteface once. It is a pure bitch in AZ to keep your face from melting.) and I usually stuck with small designs, like hearts and stars painted on my cheeks, maybe some color and glittery eyebrows (this was pre Twilight so glitter was only for fairies and poo poo) and one thing I had beat into my head was always to do soft shapes. Triangles or sharp strokes made you look angry or threatening.

Bright colors were perfect for making little kids feel at ease, even those terrified of clowns. Very rarely did I use a real clown costume (I still have the harlequin sequined one) but I did wear bright green pants, maybe a tropical bird shirt half covered with a rainbow apron. I also wasn't a huge wig fan, so sometimes a hat would work. I did have a full apron that was rainbow patchwork, and I tied two large plastic lizards to my shoulders (mostly because they were cheap and made me stand out), and even a kid scared of a clown would be interested in lizards sitting on shoulders.

Tim Curry Penneywise could pass for a clown at a party. Not the new Pennywise. At least not for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember when I was a clown (I only did whiteface once. It is a pure bitch in AZ to keep your face from melting.) and I usually stuck with small designs, like hearts and stars painted on my cheeks, maybe some color and glittery eyebrows (this was pre Twilight so glitter was only for fairies and poo poo) and one thing I had beat into my head was always to do soft shapes. Triangles or sharp strokes made you look angry or threatening.

Bright colors were perfect for making little kids feel at ease, even those terrified of clowns. Very rarely did I use a real clown costume (I still have the harlequin sequined one) but I did wear bright green pants, maybe a tropical bird shirt half covered with a rainbow apron. I also wasn't a huge wig fan, so sometimes a hat would work. I did have a full apron that was rainbow patchwork, and I tied two large plastic lizards to my shoulders (mostly because they were cheap and made me stand out), and even a kid scared of a clown would be interested in lizards sitting on shoulders.

Tim Curry Penneywise could pass for a clown at a party. Not the new Pennywise. At least not for kids.

Hey guys, we have a real clown here! Get the torches!