Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My vision of 100% american cuisine is still faded 50s recipe books where everything is jammed into aspic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
China doing something right?!?!?? Government is clamping down on Buttcoins which has resulted in one exchange announcing the stop of trading by the end of the month.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41276348

quote:

One of China's biggest Bitcoin exchanges has said it will stop trading, after a government warning over virtual currencies.

BTCC said it would stop buying and selling on 30 September in response to tightening regulation.

It comes after authorities banned initial coin offerings on 5 September.

The country has seen an explosion of digital currency trading, sparking fears about the financial risks and speculative investing.

The price of Bitcoin tumbled sharply following the BTCC announcement late on Thursday but has since regained some ground.
Cracking down

Chinese authorities expressed concern over the investment risks involved in crypto-currencies and ordered a ban on initial coin offerings, or ICOs, earlier this month.

A growing number of tech companies are opting to sell digital "tokens" to raise funds because they are quick, easy and unregulated.

The coins and "ICO" are such a naked scam even saving Face isn't cutting it. The CCP no doubt also wants to control and suppress this channel of capital flight and the money that isn't going into the stock market.

The governments that are validating the coins are idiots as they are foregoing their monetary controls therefore an element to their sovereignty to what is effectively junk bonds.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mr Teatime posted:

My vision of 100% american cuisine is still faded 50s recipe books where everything is jammed into aspic.

All to show off that you own a refrigerator.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the buttcoin crackdown is just because people have been using it to evade the rules about sending money out of the country. Since the CCP is incapable of making a country where anyone wants to live, they instead have to create laws and regulations to force people to stay instead of fleeing with all their cash to Canada.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nice!

It's my understanding that bitcoins are only valuable thanks to legally questionable activity

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're like 90% Chinese now so this is going to crash the whole system I presume.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Btw, those Subway India ads were really showing off the bread.

Are American style sub rolls a big part of the draw?

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Jeoh posted:

Like what?

Ex-wife's mom would cook fish they'd kept in the freezer for a few years "just in case" by baking it in the oven in about a half inch of water for "steaming." This resulted in a sort of mealy, freezer burn soup type dish.

This method was also applied to chicken, to similar results.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Fasdar posted:

Ex-wife's mom would cook fish they'd kept in the freezer for a few years "just in case" by baking it in the oven in about a half inch of water for "steaming." This resulted in a sort of mealy, freezer burn soup type dish.

This method was also applied to chicken, to similar results.

omfg. Your ex mother-in-law is a sick person and must be stopped before she commits theses atrocities again.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That's insane. I've been eating a lot of frozen tilapia lately and, ugh

Thaw straight from frozen to room temp. Use warm water

Pat dry, cook in skillet w/olive oil.

Comes out perfect every time. Like, zero effort.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grand Fromage posted:

They're like 90% Chinese now so this is going to crash the whole system I presume.

I imagine it's going to happen the moment one person stands to make a dime, or possibly penny.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Accretionist posted:

That's insane. I've been eating a lot of frozen tilapia lately and, ugh

Thaw straight from frozen to room temp. Use warm water

Pat dry, cook in skillet w/olive oil.

Comes out perfect every time. Like, zero effort.

I worked for a Taiwanese family at a restaurant when I was younger. The mother of the family delighted in telling me they called tilapia, "the chicken-poo poo fish". Way to sell the menu there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tilapia is the most boring fish

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Which is perfect. You have a very light, meaty flavor that doesn't get in the way of anything

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grand Fromage posted:

nah the strict majority of buttcoin whales are western, actually. this is one of the reasons why the CCP has hated buttcoin since like 2010 when their attempts to brute force their way to 51% of the mining bandwidth failed. it was loving funny as poo poo at the time, the same dumb "let's throw tons of resources and money at the problem but never follow through" thing that they've done for solar power to AI to space research to whatever else, crashed and burned like every other dumb thing the CCP does. for every country that doesn't manipulate their own currency and live in mortal fear of a financial kerfuffle starting a blood-soaked civil war cryptocurrencies pose no threat and are just another foreign currency to be handled like all other foreign currencies until they do something that makes them something more than a plain jane asset (like certain ICOs have done by offering things like voting rights). but even then, real countries can just say "okay, they're a security now and you have to comply with the law surrounding that" like the SEC did a few months ago. for real countries with real monetary policy cryptocurrencies are straight out not a big deal. fiat currencies are never going away, crypto is just slowly moving into a parallel market where it'll do a bunch of stuff that fiat currencies aren't good at (like triple-entry bookkeeping for large purchases, automatic contract execution for large, trusted systems, or administration of too-large jobs like DNS storage, etc - a lot of problems don't scale to the global stage real well just because the money behind them was never meant to be global).

this entire thing is hysterical if you're one of the few people who knows china's history of dumb poo poo and also familiar with the particulars of the crypto market. i was shooting pool with a couple BTC whales i know a few days after the news broke and the guy with the most BTC in the room was laughing so hard about it that he scratched the cue ball twice.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 15, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttHoJ7ikDo

as always, the comments are :eyepop:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Face Culture Quiz Time:

If this had actually happened, how should the last two paragraphs have unfolded?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In real life she would have not realized what happened, even if OP had responded in perfect Chinese they still wouldn't have even noticed or made any connections about them having trashtalked her etc.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the gym last night. I was sweating so hard and felt like I was going to die. It wasn't just because I haven't used weight machines in over a year (before going to China). The ACs on the wall said they were set to 17C/62F, but it was a lie. There was a clock on the wall with a thermometer in fahrenheit and it said the room was 88F/31C. I suppose they had set it to F so the gym-goers couldn't read it and know the reality.
The trainer man barely spoke any English. I asked if I had to clean the machines after using them and he said "Clean, okay." I asked where the spray bottle of cleaner is, and he said "No, no clean." I asked how to clean the machines. "Clean if you want." I asked in simple English and hand signs and noises if there was a "chh chh" spray bottle and towel. He said "Clean no, no clean, no worry." Mid-lifting, he stood next to me and said "Do you know New Jersey City?" I said yes. He said "My uncle... he in New Jersey City." I asked if he had business there, and he said yes. I asked what business. "He sell food. Chinese noodles."

I am sore as hell and going out later to buy some Frankies and "Bombay" sandwiches. Using the Zomato app (anyone going to India absolutely needs this food app, it's the best), the menu of the place I am going has a family meal combo special that looks about the proper amount of food for me. It's Saturday, which means the place might be jammed with people, but if no one is staring at me then I will take a photo.

Blistex posted:

Face Culture Quiz Time:

If this had actually happened, how should the last two paragraphs have unfolded?

But the comments by the wife are so real and common that I could believe it. They are so petty and whiney that this could be any Mainlander saying these things.

It would mean the husband is sick of his idiot wife and wanted to help her in her face loss, causing him to gain face for scolding along with the cashier.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's British, unsurprisingly.

It's one of those holiday foods people seem to love to hate, like fruitcake. It's not my favourite, but it's not horrible. Kind of bland and a bit gooey.
I thought you were from Hawaii? What kind of word traitorism is this?

Steakandchips posted:

You repeated her question in Gujarati or English?

Does she not speak English, if she does, why didn't she ask you directly?

Why would him asking you in English embarrass her?
She said it in Gujarati, my friend translated, and then I repeated what he said back to her as if I was asking her. She speaks English very well. She's a local girl and felt too shy to be asking me questions directly, and wanted to ask about me rather than ask me myself. He embarrassed her by telling me what she said, since she only used their language because I can't understand it and it would have kept her questions private.

I'm still un-China-ing my social skills (I now say please and thank you, and I stopped cutting in front of people or shoving just for the hell of it), but it will take me a little while to adjust back to "I need a chaperone to have a conversation with a girl here" in many social circles. If this were China, I'd already be asking if she wants to watch a scary movie at my house.

Gromit posted:

I wanted to see some Google Street View from India but lo and behold they have banned it citing privacy issues. So then I find a bunch of 360 degree photos on http://street360.net/india which has loads of weirdly-chosen photos taken in random locations. I've only looked at a handful but have seen some filthy shops that would look great if someone could be bothered giving them the most basic lick of paint. And lots of cows.
India has been working on their own map for a while now that is supposed to keep up with the ever-changing urban hellscapes and roads being put in everywhere. This is one reason why they are not letting Google do the usual stuff for their apps here. I don't think they will ever finish it, and if it they do it will probably be fill with bugs, but it's touted as set to beat Google for domestic mappery. I am sure it's just another scam.
I can't get that map site to work. Sad.

Ceciltron posted:

It is actually a well documented fact that WWII rationing improved the state of health in britain and the average wartime diet actually was better health wise than the prewar one. The Brits are just returning to form.
I thought a lot of that was just because of the insane sugar consumption?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bajaj posted:

I thought you were from Hawaii? What kind of word traitorism is this?

The Hawaiian flag:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm from New York! :confused: Where did Hawaii come from? Do I have to show my birth certificate now?

I sometimes flip my US/non-US spellings because my tertiary education was entirely in Canada and the UK. Also my phone is set to UK English because :effort:.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I un-privated my Instagram since I am out of China and don't have to worry about being harassed by bag sellers and Taobao businesses. A day later (today), I got a random angry message by an ABC because he saw a post I made making fun of Mainlanders. I stopped location tagging ages ago because my friends all knew where I was, and somehow this nerd still found me and wanted to say I couldn't talk bad about China because now I am in India. I called him some names and I guess it's back to a private account. loving wumaos find ways to ruin anything.

McGavin posted:

The Hawaiian flag:

Come on, it's been owned and controlled by the US since the 1800s.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm from New York! :confused: Where did Hawaii come from? Do I have to show my birth certificate now?

I sometimes flip my US/non-US spellings because my tertiary education was entirely in Canada and the UK. Also my phone is set to UK English because :effort:.
Ok, I am confusing you with some other girl poster that said she was from Hawaii.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ceciltron posted:

It is actually a well documented fact that WWII rationing improved the state of health in britain and the average wartime diet actually was better health wise than the prewar one. The Brits are just returning to form.

Healthier, but probably not "better".

English food culture's problem was that the country industrialised really early; dinner was what you could cook on with your tiny coal-fired oven in the hovel you were sharing with 3 other families... in a time and place where most spices were well outside the price range of a normal person. (Rich people still ate well, if boringly by our standards, but that's not what most people are working from)

The world wars (and the rationing afterwards) meant that Britain didn't start getting over this until the 1960s.

(From taliking to my dad, who's about 65: the problem was never that good food was completely unavailable; it's more that people didn't really have any standards. Even now, in urbanised areas that are far from both the major cities and any immigration, this is still unfortunately the case...)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
One thing I like about Taipei is that various waves of immigration and a big international population mean there's all kinds of food here. Your basic everyday Taiwanese diet might be fairly same-y but not bad: rice, pickled veggies, chicken drumstick or pork chop. But there's a huge range of restaurants in the city because of somebody's grandparents from whatever province showing up on the boats in 1949 and bringing recipes with them. And maybe because of diplomacy or all the Latin American students, I've started finding great South American food. Maybe it's not strictly authentic to be buying a Cuban sandwich from a Salvadoran dude, but it's still a good loving sandwich.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I get back home I'll post my lunch from the Onam Festival last week. Lots of good stuff eaten with your hands served on a banana leaf.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

One thing I like about Taipei is that various waves of immigration and a big international population mean there's all kinds of food here. Your basic everyday Taiwanese diet might be fairly same-y but not bad: rice, pickled veggies, chicken drumstick or pork chop. But there's a huge range of restaurants in the city because of somebody's grandparents from whatever province showing up on the boats in 1949 and bringing recipes with them. And maybe because of diplomacy or all the Latin American students, I've started finding great South American food. Maybe it's not strictly authentic to be buying a Cuban sandwich from a Salvadoran dude, but it's still a good loving sandwich.

Tell me about the location of these Cuban sandwiches.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There's been a Cuban sandwich cart at Shilin night market recently, at the corner of the market by Jiantan MRT across the street from the big Death Star performance center they're still working on. There's also a Latin food place that has them down in Yonghe that's pretty good, but I don't remember the address, a friend took me. Also, up at Yuanshan park, where that row of food stalls is by Maji and Triangle, there's a Colombian stall now selling arepas and it's great.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bajaj posted:

Ok, I am confusing you with some other girl poster that said she was from Hawaii.

Is cool. Hawaii has to be better than upstate NY. Most things are.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jeoh posted:

Shandong cuisine is adding boiled water to everything

Uh, Shandong jianbing is awesome.

I am in Zhejiang, and I saw a shop with a sign claiming they had Shandong jianbing, but it was just regular jianbing. Christ, it's like Hokkaido ramen in Japan.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know about this "Sharing Economy" back when they called it renting and rental? Well, you can have sex dolls "Shared Girlfriends" no doubt with Chinese characteristics we all know and love with an app of course!.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/09/15/new-chinese-sharing-economy-app-lets-users-rent-sex-dolls-week/

Just hire a prostitute.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bongwizzard posted:

Amazing, I am going to hit every Indian market around me until I find some weird sodas.

Portello.

Soft drink of the loving gods.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You can't change the bottom part between users on a prostitute. :colbert:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/CheetoSantino/status/909147924717801478

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

As you can see, Americans are all obese soft drink wearing weirdos, just like the media says!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
From some guy's vacations photos of ANHUI PROVINCE, CHINA!
(Full Album)

HONGCUN VILLAGE:

XIDI VILLAGE:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mercury and industrial run-off flavored yum yums.
https://i.imgur.com/zoaQ4w1.gifv

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
china is a shithole, thanks for reading

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Accretionist posted:

From some guy's vacations photos of ANHUI PROVINCE, CHINA!
(Full Album)

HONGCUN VILLAGE:
XIDI VILLAGE:

the nature photos in that album are great but the man-made stuff...

its really impressive to me that in both villages the water is the only surface that is not-uneven and not-disgusting

its like all the stone roads and benches are messed up on purpose

and somehow the walls along well-traveled roads look as moldy and peeling as UrbEx photos of asylums that have been vacant for a decade or more

im just amazed all the time at how little of a poo poo people give about anything

Xidi Village, pronounced lovely Village :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

oohhboy posted:

You know about this "Sharing Economy" back when they called it renting and rental? Well, you can have sex dolls "Shared Girlfriends" no doubt with Chinese characteristics we all know and love with an app of course!.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/09/15/new-chinese-sharing-economy-app-lets-users-rent-sex-dolls-week/

Just hire a prostitute.
i've got some news for you

http://nypost.com/2017/08/22/sex-dolls-are-more-popular-than-real-prostitutes-at-this-brothel/

• Locked thread