Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Pixels have dual system partitions. The idea is if an update fails to work, it should automatically boot from the previous, working partition. You could try flashing the image but you likely can't since you didn't unlock the bootloader and can't without being able to boot into Android. Trying won't hurt but you'll likely need to call Google.

I did this and didn't get any change:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJMlZ1aEliVnhMOHM/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google Support will have it take care of super quick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes I can look up it's play store page too. I'm wondering why it came up all of a sudden in the thread and why someone was using it rather than the Authenticator+ that's constantly recommended here.

In other words is it better than the thread recommended app?

I have some Duo-native 2FA and for anything that actually uses that, it's awesome. I did use it at one point for Google (and similar) 2FA and while it does support it, it's really not as good as Google's app. Really I just wish more 2FA would move towards the Duo / Microsoft methods of a push notification to your device, instead of having to fire up an app and generate a code.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Google Support will have it take care of super quick.

They were bought on Verizon, think I should try them first?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just hosed my nexus 6p by putting it through the wash. What are the main differences between the pixel and G5+ because buying the pixel XL is £450 and the G5+ is £270

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

I just hosed my nexus 6p by putting it through the wash. What are the main differences between the pixel and G5+ because buying the pixel XL is £450 and the G5+ is £270

Survived a killer hurricane only to die in the wash. :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its currently in a bag of rice but considering it spent like 30 minutes before i realised it was in the wash and fished it out i can't see it surviving

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
rip Jose's phone: beat irma but not a washing machine

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
realtalk: pixel has the best camera and best performance and will be kept updated forever

you could probably snag a free warranty pixel if you send in your 6P for battery problems and hope they don't look closely or ask questions

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

logikv9 posted:

you could probably snag a free warranty pixel if you send in your 6P for battery problems and hope they don't look closely or ask questions

Nah, there's a patch inside the phone that permanently changes colour when made wet. 'No I didn't submerse it' is one of the oldest lies phone insurance companies have had to deal with, it's the first thing they'll check.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

its currently in a bag of rice but considering it spent like 30 minutes before i realised it was in the wash and fished it out i can't see it surviving

wait where'd your 30 day-er go

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jose posted:

Now you have a broken phone and a bag of soggy rice.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Yeah the whole 'put in a bag of rice' thing does gently caress all

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jose posted:

What are the main differences between the pixel and G5+ because buying the pixel XL is £450 and the G5+ is £270

The g5+ is a phone that is good enough, while the pixel is a phone that is good

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sereri posted:

The g5+ is a phone that is good enough, while the pixel is a phone that is good

Oooo, how pithy!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah the whole 'put in a bag of rice' thing does gently caress all

yeah i only did it because a friend was insistent. I'll buy a pixel then. This is the first phone i've done any actual damage to so hopefully i don't gently caress it up again

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
If you want, you could still try to save the phone, but it's a pretty laborious process with no guarantee of success.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've already ordered the pixel xl and i get it on sunday

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

seravid posted:

If you want, you could still try to save the phone, but it's a pretty laborious process with no guarantee of success.

Please, tell us how you would fix a phone that's been through an entire wash cycle :allears:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Are you sure you don't want to use some lovely burner phone for a couple of weeks and buy the new one? Or at least get a discounted old one.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Eezee posted:

Are you sure you don't want to use some lovely burner phone for a couple of weeks and buy the new one? Or at least get a discounted old one.

Lol if you think the Pixels 2 will be available in the UK in a couple weeks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Eezee posted:

I didn't know a new one was about to come out but I don't really want to pay that much for a phone anyway. I was tempted by the OnePlus 5 though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jose posted:

I didn't know a new one was about to come out but I don't really want to pay that much for a phone anyway. I was tempted by the OnePlus 5 though

One Plus One means Don't Buy One

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

nimper posted:

Please, tell us how you would fix a phone that's been through an entire wash cycle :allears:

Disassemble, remove EMI shielding from the motherboard, throw into an ultrasonic cleaner or, failing that, dunk into isopropyl and scrub with a toothbrush. Clean every connector in sight. Blast with cold air.
Display and battery are probably toast, can be replaced for a reasonable price.

Since detergent went into contact with the phone, time is of the essence and the odds aren't great, but it's worth a shot if you like DIY stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

seravid posted:

Disassemble, remove EMI shielding from the motherboard, throw into an ultrasonic cleaner or, failing that, dunk into isopropyl and scrub with a toothbrush. Clean every connector in sight. Blast with cold air.

Since detergent went into contact with the phone, time is of the essence and the odds aren't great, but it's worth a shot if you like DIY stuff.

Can this be the thread title

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I admit, this is the first time I've heard anyone talking about putting a cell phone in an ultrasonic cleaner.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
I got my Pixel XL after 2 day shipping. I've also have the S8+ and I'm contemplating on how to get rid of it since I'm on an installment plan. Though I can always keep both but now I don't know which to use as a daily driver.

False Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 15, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

grack posted:

I admit, this is the first time I've heard anyone talking about putting a cell phone in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Don't put an actual phone in there, only the PCBs.

Moving on from repairchat: doesn't stock android have volume... profiles, I guess you could call them? e.g. volume set at X during the day, at Y during the night. I know about DNB preferences, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

seravid posted:

Don't put an actual phone in there, only the PCBs.

Moving on from repairchat: doesn't stock android have volume... profiles, I guess you could call them? e.g. volume set at X during the day, at Y during the night. I know about DNB preferences, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Nope, it never has. Even the very first HTC Sense phones had them but that was one thing that never made it into stock Android.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, that's a pretty basic feature. Guess I'll ask in the app thread, then.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

seravid posted:

You're giving me bad memories of fixing toilet damaged RAZRs at a Rogers' repair shop.

We had about a 50% overall success rate and a lot of spare parts (mostly housings, keypads, plastic parts) from the ones that didn't make it...that went on to make it into other repaired phones.

Sorry, customers, company policy. I promise they were clean :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Am I hallucinating or is there no way to turn off vibrate on notification system-wide in Oreo? Was there ever a way? Have I always turned it off for every app?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

False Toaster posted:

I got my Pixel XL after 2 day shipping. I've also have the S8+ and I'm contemplating on how to get rid of it since I'm on an installment plan. Though I can always keep both but now I don't know which to use as a daily driver.

Use Pixel, sell S8+, either pay it off now or keep paying it off over time. As long as it's just a normal "pay off phone over 12/24/x months" thing, you don't have to keep using the phone, just keep making payments.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rickets posted:

You're giving me bad memories of fixing toilet damaged RAZRs at a Rogers' repair shop.

We had about a 50% overall success rate and a lot of spare parts (mostly housings, keypads, plastic parts) from the ones that didn't make it...that went on to make it into other repaired phones.

Sorry, customers, company policy. I promise they were clean :(

Hopefully wearing gloves was company policy too.

How many of those phones were handed to you still powered on?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nah, there's a patch inside the phone that permanently changes colour when made wet. 'No I didn't submerse it' is one of the oldest lies phone insurance companies have had to deal with, it's the first thing they'll check.

i know, but depending on how many fucks google support gives (from what it seems from this thread, very little) they'll give you one anyway

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really loving how reality itself keeps raking me over the coals for my first-time beginner mistake of not buying from the Google Store.

probably not even gonna be able to find a sucker left to take this 6p off my hands when the pixel goes back on sale, gently caress

Well, at least we'll all get to suffer when Google next year announces the Pixel 3 will be removing the fingerprint sensor in favor of a not-Face ID scheme because apparently all of Apple's bad ideas have to be propagated throughout the entire smartphone sector as well as the good ones.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Really loving how reality itself keeps raking me over the coals for my first-time beginner mistake of not buying from the Google Store.

probably not even gonna be able to find a sucker left to take this 6p off my hands when the pixel goes back on sale, gently caress

Well, at least we'll all get to suffer when Google next year announces the Pixel 3 will be removing the fingerprint sensor in favor of a not-Face ID scheme because apparently all of Apple's bad ideas have to be propagated throughout the entire smartphone sector as well as the good ones.

The Lightning connector is built like a goddamned tank, but no we shouldn't copy Apple when designing USB-C so we can keep the flimsy plastic tab in the female port like micro USB because.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

The Lightning connector is built like a goddamned tank, but no we shouldn't copy Apple when designing USB-C so we can keep the flimsy plastic tab in the female port like micro USB because.

You know Apple did most of the heavy lifting on USB C correct?

I also don't know what you people are up to that is destroying all these ports. And the USBC port on my last few phones has seemed even more reliable than microusb ever was. Never even felt a tiny bit loose.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea +1 for USB-C being a ton more reliable and stronger than Micro/Mini USB ever was. I was able to get along pretty fine with Micro as long as I used new cables every 6 months or so, but USB-C Has been pretty reliable. Cables can wear out still but the port itself hasn't given me any issues.

Only MicroUSB port that I had actually break on the device was my EVGA Tegra Note. Stupid design flaw cursed every single one of those tablets no matter who made them. Not a single replacement part available online anywhere either since it was some shortened and angle cut special version of it.

Was able to solder in a wireless charging pad to the tab to allow it to charge, but sadly it finally just gave up the ghost for some reason. (Shows bootloader screen, but then goes all corrupt or blank screen when it gets to the actual OS boot or anything else you do like Recovery menu, etc. :(

Are there any good android tablets anymore that aren't Pixel C's? I wanted a Shield tab but their build stock seemed too always be sold out.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FunOne posted:

You know Apple did most of the heavy lifting on USB C correct?

I also don't know what you people are up to that is destroying all these ports. And the USBC port on my last few phones has seemed even more reliable than microusb ever was. Never even felt a tiny bit loose.

Yeah, my 2 year old 6P USB-C port was as strong as ever and I definitely did not baby it. I often sat in bed reading while the phone was plugged in and I'd hold it by the USB plug.