Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

Yeah I remember reading the initial story and thinking it must've looked absolutely comical minus the whole part where a guy died and people's lives were in danger.

Yes, taken out of context it is funny! See how important context is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hey here is an idea: maybe we shouldn't adopt a slew of anti-defendant criminal procedure reforms just in one situation the bastard tends to get off?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Relentlessboredomm posted:

My idea for curbing police brutality is to recognize that arguing for increased punishments, however great it feels, won't work and creates even more conflict.

I'd love to see cops required to bring an accompanying, non police, party with them on the majority of their stops. Ideally it'd be social workers or mental health professionals who, barring a situation that's wildly out of hand, would always take the first crack at resolving the situation peacefully. This additional department would have an entirely different command structure and thus would not report to police, and would consistently rotate which officers they worked with to limit undue fraternization. Mainly it'd serve two purposes:

1. We would stop using a hammer for every problem.

2. A relatively impartial witness always on the scene.

You could pitch it as a way to keep cops from having to deal with poo poo that's not really their specialty, virtually every crime that doesn't involve a weapon, and create better paying jobs for social workers and the like.

I would take it a step further and make a position that is literally there to make sure cops act as peace officers instead of state militia, like they have to be monitored on site or remotely at all times and can't pull weapons without that clearance.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Maybe jury selection should be altered? No more ejecting people for any reason, you get a random sample and that's it. I dunno. It just feels like all the people with something better to do/jobs/etc weasel their way out of it and instead you end up with people who secretly really care about the case or people who may be easily mislead.

It's a symptom of the racism and corruption of the entire system. There isn't a solution to the issue of voir dire in the absence of a solution to pay for play rights, discriminatory application of prosecutorial discretion, entrenched racism and tight coordination between judges and police that makes judges biased, etc etc

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

that's really cool. it would also create jobs, so i'm sure all the republicans are on board (narrator voice: "the republicans were not on board.")

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Love it. :3:

Caros
May 14, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait what

edit: oh good, I found a footnote in the transcript re the murder verdict that wasn't mentioned on the manslaughter bit

:shepface:

Paul Modrowski

He was convicted of accountability murder (being an accomplice, basically) for lending his car to someone named Dean Faraci for use in a murder.

I did have it a little backward. They convicted Modrowski two days before they found Faraci not guilty. Despite that, the appellant courts don't actually consider Faraci's not guilty verdict (or the fact that Faraci's wife later admitted to pointing blame at Modrowski to save her husband) of any relevance.

I'm sure there are others like it, but to date it remains the only case I have ever heard of where an accomplice was convicted for assisting in a crime that a jury says didn't happen.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

RuanGacho posted:

I would take it a step further and make a position that is literally there to make sure cops act as peace officers instead of state militia, like they have to be monitored on site or remotely at all times and can't pull weapons without that clearance.

Totally agree with the sentiment but I wouldn't do that. I'd end up with the same effect without casting police as liars. Oh I'd also quietly raise standards to become a police officer allowing us to wind down the force a little bit as the co-responder program built up.

botany posted:

that's really cool. it would also create jobs, so i'm sure all the republicans are on board (narrator voice: "the republicans were not on board.")

Between this, the legalized marijuana, and that pilot program that paid for IUDs there's some really cool policy poo poo happening in CO and Denver and I have no idea why.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That is awesome and more police departments should do this.

Arlington, VA's similar crisis intervention team has won some awards and generally seems effective too in de-escalating situations and getting people help instead of throwing them in jail.

https://health.arlingtonva.us/cit/

quote:

CIT is an officer safety program providing law enforcement personnel with the skills to work safely and effectively with people in crisis and to provide options beyond incarceration to people with mental illness. Officers work closely with the Department of Human Services Crisis Intervention Center to quickly connect individuals with mental health professionals.

Training empowers officers with the skills to interact safely and effectively with mentally ill individuals and individuals in crisis. The training equips participants with a broader understanding of mental illness, helps to encourage empathy and reduces the stigma of mental illness.

The training encompasses not only Arlington’s police officers and deputies, but also includes officers from the Pentagon Force Protection Agency and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority as well as law enforcement officers from other agencies across the County, Northern Virginia, and Washington, DC.

60% of ACPD patrol officers are CIT-trained. CIT officers are available to assist with mental health emergencies 24/7.
Arlington County’s CIT program currently conducts four 40-hour trainings per year.
Arlington’s CIT program has expanded to include other criminal justice partners who provide support to the police, including all of Arlington’s Emergency Communications Center (ECC) dispatchers.
Arlington has expanded CIT training for magistrates training to include our criminal justice partners throughout the county with a CIT training for legal professionals.

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/arlington-county-police-receive-235411/

Arlington County Police Receive Crisis Intervention Team Award posted:

ARLINGTON, Va. – Five members of the Arlington County Police Department have been recognized for their outstanding work in responding to calls that involve people in mental health crisis.

Captain Andy Penn, Officer Garrett Bombard, Sergeant Eliseo Pilco, Officer Ben Brown-Bieber and Deputy Andrew Flowers received the National Alliance on Mental Illness – Northern Virginia Chapter 2012 Crisis Intervention Team award at a June 7, 2012 awards banquet.

“By diverting people with serious mental illness from jails, CIT helps ensure that jails are used to incarcerate criminals, not people who require treatment,” said Susanne Eisner, Arlington Department of Human Services Director.

“CIT works for law enforcement because it provides officers tools for responding more safely and compassionately to people with serious mental illness, and gives officers options other than arrest and incarceration when they encounter people with mental illness,” Eisner said. “Awards such as these validate a program that is making a difference in the community that not many people know about.”

The annual prize is for law enforcement professionals in Arlington and Fairfax Counties who demonstrate excellence in working with people with mental disorders. Arlington Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Coordinator Christina Clarkson, an employee of the County's Department of Human Services, was also part of the winning team, and received special acknowledgement for her advocacy efforts for law enforcement and people with mental illness, and for developing Arlington's CIT, training program.

“Our department fully supports the CIT training initiative and our goal is to continue to increase the number of officers certified by offering several training opportunities each year,” commented Arlington Police Chief M. Douglas Scott.
More than 175 law enforcement personnel trained

Arlington County created its CIT in 2008. The program has trained more than 175 law enforcement personnel in working with people with mental illness. The training has focused on Arlington Police Department patrol officers – those most likely to encounter someone in a mental health crisis — but has also been extended to include federal law enforcement professionals, airport security staff, dispatchers and magistrates, and probation and parole officials.

The CIT model is a national best practice that improves interactions between law enforcement and persons with mental illness. Benefits include:

Preventing the inappropriate restraint, incarceration and stigmatization of persons with mental illness
Reducing injury to officers, family members and individuals in crisis
Linking individuals with mental illness to appropriate treatment and resources in the community

Background

In Arlington, the CIT program provides 40 hours of training to help law enforcement officers recognize the symptoms of mental illness when responding to calls. Officers learn to de-escalate difficult situations and help persons in mental crisis get access to treatment. The Crisis Intervention Center is located at 1810 N. Edison Street in Arlington.

The award includes a plaque and a $500 donation to the Department of Human Services to fund ongoing CIT training.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

axeil posted:

That is awesome and more police departments should do this.

Arlington, VA's similar crisis intervention team has won some awards and generally seems effective too in de-escalating situations and getting people help instead of throwing them in jail.

https://health.arlingtonva.us/cit/

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/arlington-county-police-receive-235411/

Well done Arlington, but I'd prefer to pair that crisis intervention with having someone on site who is not a cop. Let someone with a very different toolset help them handle those issues.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

hey, cool, you found it! yeah its pretty new. and the guy managing the team is arguably the coolest guy alive. just like, one of those people everyone loves, even the cops. the team couldn't be in better hands. fun fact, one of the team members drank the cool-aid and is going to the academy to become a cop, lol.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Well done Arlington, but I'd prefer to pair that crisis intervention with having someone on site who is not a cop. Let someone with a very different toolset help them handle those issues.

Agreed. I think this CIT program is a good first step but Denver's program is better because a non-LEO is probably going to get a different result from someone than a cop.

I think it's important that these de-escalation programs and cops doing the right thing get positive coverage and that helps lead to more and more adoption and less and less acceptance of police brutality. Arresting someone or hell, shooting them, should be seen as a tragedy and a failure if it could've been prevented (and I think it can in a lot of cases)

You know, how many times do you see stories about some negotiator talking down a situation or how often do you see people getting credit for keeping things calm and things not turning into a poo poo show because they were smart and calm? I think it's important to highlight those while also vigorously pushing back on the actual instances of abuse of authority.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 15, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

axeil posted:

Agreed. I think this CIT program is a good first step but Denver's program is better because a non-LEO is probably going to get a different result from someone than a cop.

I think it's important that these de-escalation programs and cops doing the right thing get positive coverage and that helps lead to more and more adoption and less and less acceptance of police brutality. Arresting someone or hell, shooting them, should be seen as a tragedy and a failure if it could've been prevented (and I think it can in a lot of cases)

Agreed.

I'm adding these things to my list of policy proposals if I ever run or get friendly with people running.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I regularly see, "cops need malpractice insurance so they brook the cost of wrongful death suits and the like instead of the department and tax-payers," thrown around. Any serious work ups on that? Strong opinions?

On its face, it sounds pretty good.

axeil posted:

Basically, more police departments need to act like this and truly use lethal force as a last resort.

To add to this, I used to work as a security guard. Situations I've talked through? Police have killed for less. Like, a lot less. And I am a fat nerd pussy.

The standards police are held to are very unreasonable, imo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Accretionist posted:

I regularly see, "cops need malpractice insurance so they brook the cost of wrongful death suits and the like instead of the department and tax-payers," thrown around. Any serious work ups on that? Strong opinions?

The problem with this is that it puts the onus on individual officers without dealing with the ineffectual and corrupt bureaucracy that supposedly oversees them.

It's also introducing more private corporate influence over our nominal law enforcement agencies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Accretionist posted:

To add to this, I used to work as a security guard. Situations I've talked through? Police have killed for less. Like, a lot less. And I am a fat nerd pussy.

The standards police are held to are very unreasonable, imo.

Yeah I think that's a good point. If the instinct is "shoot first, ask questions later" then that's what's going to happen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RaySmuckles posted:

hey, cool, you found it! yeah its pretty new. and the guy managing the team is arguably the coolest guy alive. just like, one of those people everyone loves, even the cops. the team couldn't be in better hands. fun fact, one of the team members drank the cool-aid and is going to the academy to become a cop, lol.

Well I mean, better him than most anybody else. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

The problem with this is that it puts the onus on individual officers without dealing with the ineffectual and corrupt bureaucracy that supposedly oversees them.

It's also introducing more private corporate influence over our nominal law enforcement agencies.

Yeah it's a tradeoff. I honestly don't know whether I like or dislike the idea.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Between this, the legalized marijuana, and that pilot program that paid for IUDs there's some really cool policy poo poo happening in CO and Denver and I have no idea why.

because colorado is cool as hell, obviously.

we're not perfect though. we still have an anti-camping ban from OWS that is used almost exclusively to harass homeless people.

i think i'll write a screed:

i think colorado, well, the front range really, is super liberal for a couple of reasons.

1) colorado is the wild west. outside of the denver area there really isn't much of anything. yeah there are the springs and ft collins (i'd consider boulder part of the denver metro area) but those places are pretty small and not particularly influential to the state. other than that its just pockets of population in the mountains, or worse in the eastern planes. what that means is that the state has a long history of libertarianism, which opens the door for things like drug legalization.

2) colorado is not an economic powerhouse. that means people moving here are doing so for reasons other than money (relatively). so when you have a lot of people moving somewhere for reasons other than money, odds are they'll probably have a more left leaning skew. also, there aren't a lot of super powerful interests holding the state hostage because despite this being the most popular place in the country, no one really knows what the economic outputs of colorado really are. every just assumes "denver's a big city, there'll be jobs" but colorado isn't exactly a massive producer of anything. so, no big business, no big business agenda

3) boulder is a big influence on denver and i'm sure everyone's familiar with boulder. if the rich people in your state are liberal then you'll probably get liberal policies.

4) the activities that attract people to denver probably skew left-leaning. outdoor sports, nature stuff, and a super chill city vibe strike me as things leftists would be attracted to

5) long history of being a chill place. its traditionally a working class town and a haven for the homeless (weather and rail--ways)

6) young people from more developed areas move here in droves to start new lives. they take the cool stuff from where they came from with them. i'm still hoping to see the quality of education in colorado improve since so many people from states with real school systems are moving here and will probably want their kids to be educated like them. that is, assuming everyone stays when they have kids which may not happen since its comically expensive, there aren't enough good jobs, and extended family (for the transplants) is really important these days when raising kids because childcare is expensive.

anyway, colorado's closed. don't move here. and if you live here and own property and are thinking about leaving, please do and sell you house cheap. thanks.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well I mean, better him than most anybody else. :v:

its a lady that works for him but yeah, a licensed social worker turned cop is probably light years ahead of the other cops

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Didn't a colorado city also fix it's homelessness problem by going "Hey we have all those empty apartments from the housing bubble and homeless people. lets put them together."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't a colorado city also fix it's homelessness problem by going "Hey we have all those empty apartments from the housing bubble and homeless people. lets put them together."

No, that was Utah.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, that was Utah.

yeah, the denver area has a bit of a crisis regarding low-income housing.

and regular income housing.

it was a big deal that they just built(?)/planned to build(?) an 88 unit low-income housing facility i think explicitly for homeless people and people with mental health conditions.

88 units is virtually nothing

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, it's limited in scope but the benefit is that it'd circumvent that bureaucracy and directly access/impact the officers in question. Presently, the cost of their malfeasance is an externality. The community pays, the community suffers. With mandatory 'malpractice insurance,' the individual officers pay and suffer, too.

It'd be a mechanism but it seems like it'd be a useful one. Hypothetically, such a system could even price psychos out of the profession.

quote:

I bet you could sell state governments on running this as a government sponsored enterprise. Quasi-private but a new source of revenue. The incentives line up for the state and the police to be forever at odds. Would that reduce risk of collusion? Seems possible

A serious work up on this could be pretty interesting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There would probably be actual riots if they started giving houses in downtown Denver to homeless people.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, it's limited in scope but the benefit is that it'd circumvent that bureaucracy and directly access/impact the officers in question. Presently, the cost of their malfeasance is an externality. The community pays, the community suffers. With mandatory 'malpractice insurance,' the individual officers pay and suffer, too.

It'd be a mechanism but it seems like it'd be a useful one. Hypothetically, such a system could even price psychos out of the profession.

I bet you could sell state governments on running this as a government sponsored enterprise. Quasi-private but a new source of revenue. The incentives line up for the state and the police to be forever at odds. Would that reduce risk of collusion? Seems possible

A serious work up on this could be pretty interesting.

"Pricing psychos out of the market" implies that most of them are poorer, when your average police officer is more likely to come from a more affluent suburban background.

I mean, I see the appeal. I just don't think that the individual racism of police officers is the driving force at work here, versus the structural racism and classism of the system that protects and influences them. Shaping solutions around individual officers is an idea, but I'm pessimistic on its overall impact versus something like increased independent oversight and a reduction of police union power.

I also don't think states would be enthusiastic about this as you say, since they are usually complicit in aiding and abetting police brutality.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

There would probably be actual riots if they started giving houses in downtown Denver to homeless people.

even i'd probably be pretty peeved

my neighborhood doesn't have houses under $350,000 anymore. up from about $150,000 5 years ago. those $350K houses are all serious fixer-uppers. a "normal" house is closer to half a million.

which remember, is in a city that doesn't have anywhere near the earning potential of most major cities.

could be worse though. our friends in california just bought a small house for $850,000 in San Jose. she's a social worker and he does IT for a school. how the gently caress are they ever supposed to pay that off, lmao? that's more expensive than my rich sister's opulent NYC suburb house in one of the fanciest towns in new jersey ($750,000) and she and her husband both pull down hearty six-figure manhattan jobs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah.

The problem is layered but the good proposals I've seen are:

1) independent investigations and prosecutions. Officer involved shootings need to be investigated by someone independent from the officers' chain of command, and prosecuted by prosecutors their department does not work with.

2) common standards. Officers accused of crimes need to be treated the same way and according to the same standards as other citizens. No special rights or delays in the investigative process, no special standards at trial.

3) clear records must be kept. Body cams, car cams, etc.

4) better training and training reform. The cops who shot that guy in the walmart because he had a toy gun had been to a training on responding to mass shootings two days prior, and if you look at the materials it was basically SCARY BROWNS MURDER COPS, the continuing education seminar. This is a common theme; there are a lot of "experts" who make their living training cops to shoot first and then justifying that training by testifying as experts at cop trials. That type of training needs to be discredited and discontinued, and replaced with things like CIT training and ride along social workers etc. As mentioned above.

That still leaves the general problem of racism but that's a broader reform.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is the dumbest poo poo. Not only is it loving cruel to the homeless but abandoned houses are just gonna keep getting worse and depreciate. It's better to have someone living there and taking care of the place which I'm sure they'd be able to do especially if they had access to proper resources and mental health care.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Imo the problems with the housing market shouldn't preclude us from housing the homeless. Housing the homeless won't have a significant impact on overpriced homes, mad as it might make NIMBY suburbanites.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

RaySmuckles posted:

even i'd probably be pretty peeved

my neighborhood doesn't have houses under $350,000 anymore. up from about $150,000 5 years ago. those $350K houses are all serious fixer-uppers. a "normal" house is closer to half a million.

which remember, is in a city that doesn't have anywhere near the earning potential of most major cities.

could be worse though. our friends in california just bought a small house for $850,000 in San Jose. she's a social worker and he does IT for a school. how the gently caress are they ever supposed to pay that off, lmao? that's more expensive than my rich sister's opulent NYC suburb house in one of the fanciest towns in new jersey ($750,000) and she and her husband both pull down hearty six-figure manhattan jobs.

Hell, I'm up in the suburbs north of Denver and even my house has basically doubled in price over 16 months. I haven't seen anything lower than $300,000 go on the market since early 2016.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Body cam records also need to be stored by a third party, or have have independent oversight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo. Not only is it loving cruel to the homeless but abandoned houses are just gonna keep getting worse and depreciate. It's better to have someone living there and taking care of the place which I'm sure they'd be able to do especially if they had access to proper resources and mental health care.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5a096ed10173

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Javes posted:

Body cam records also need to be stored by a third party, or have have independent oversight.
Absolutely. The cops have made it clear they cannot be trusted with the footage.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Shaping solutions around individual officers is an idea, but I'm pessimistic on its overall impact versus something like increased independent oversight and a reduction of police union power.

Well, I don't see why this would be done to the exclusion of anything else.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Imo the problems with the housing market shouldn't preclude us from housing the homeless. Housing the homeless won't have a significant impact on overpriced homes, mad as it might make NIMBY suburbanites.

oh i agree. denver desperately needs more moderately costed housing, including low/no income housing. just saying i'd probably be a little peeved if they just started a policy to giving away housing when the city is so desperately short of it.

like give away a ton of housing as long as you have a plan to also build a shitload more it, and not just stuff designed for the rich

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Accretionist posted:

Well, I don't see why this would be done to the exclusion of anything else.

I don't disagree, except as a matter of movements only having so much energy to spend and so much ability to brand policies for the general population.

I don't think your idea is bad, I just think the stuff HA said is probably better.

^ no disagreement from me, just making sure we're on the same page.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Something massive and fundamental is going to have to change with the police in America before anything starts to get better. Gradual improvements that lead to police taking responsibility for their actions are always displayed by FOX news' evening talk show chyrons as, and I quote, war on cops.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KickerOfMice posted:

Something massive and fundamental is going to have to change with the police in America before anything starts to get better. Gradual improvements that lead to police taking responsibility for their actions are always displayed by FOX news' evening talk show chyrons as, and I quote, war on cops.

Something massive and fundamental is already happening, it's called Black Lives Matter and we have to push the Democratic Party to stop shying away from them and back them up.

MLK never broke 40% support in the '60s. But he still got institutional support by direct popular protest. That's where we sit today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

Zillow lets you search nationally and it looks like economically-imploded cities are affordable and that's it.

• Locked thread