Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

Detroit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kansas City hasn't become insane yet.

It's going to in the next few years. But not yet.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Something massive and fundamental is already happening, it's called Black Lives Matter and we have to push the Democratic Party to stop shying away from them and back them up.

MLK never broke 40% support in the '60s. But he still got institutional support by direct popular protest. That's where we sit today.

Bolded part is what I was talking about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Des Moines, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Twin Cities, Memphis, Boise, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, San Antonio, Phoenix, Baltimore, Dallas, Omaha, Fargo, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Houston, El Paso, Columbus, and Salt Lake City.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KickerOfMice posted:

Bolded part is what I was talking about.

Yeah, my bad, I shouldn't have been so aggressive.

It's just that the reality is that there's already a huge civil rights movement standing for the end of police brutality and mass incarceration, among a host of other things. The energy and policy is there, we just need it to be implemented.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

probably not

consolidation is increasingly trying to squeeze exponentially more people into a shrinking number of prosperous areas.

i don't see anyway to get out of this either because industrial jobs that employ tens of millions of people are not coming back anytime soon. which only leaves the service industry and you need lots of people around for that to be an economic backbone.

basically, ultimately you have to produce something that has value and in post-industrialization america the number of places creating value are shrinking.

upstate new york breaks my heart every time i'm up there.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

we're perpetually 6 months from a housing crisis

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

tentative8e8op posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHE9ViYNiJw&t=390s
Starts at 6:30, after the shooting, with him grabbing the gun from a duffle bag, a bystander's video shows him entering Anthony Smith's car immediately after they pull Smith out, at 8:45.

I'm looking frame by frame and it looks to me like the gun is pointing down and to the left as he pulls it out of the bag

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 16, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, my bad, I shouldn't have been so aggressive.

It's just that the reality is that there's already a huge civil rights movement standing for the end of police brutality and mass incarceration, among a host of other things. The energy and policy is there, we just need it to be implemented.

NP man, i can understand why you might have been generally angry!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tentative8e8op posted:

I'm looking frame by frame and it looks to me like the gun is pointing down and to the left as he pulls it out of the bag

how could anyone suspect this innocent lamb of doing anything wrong?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

not really, because of the mass flight of people and capital during the enormous suburban wave of the mid 20th century american cities went through a period of undeserved decline and population loss from 1960ish to 1990ish which has been reversing with a population boom as millenials move back into cities causing ills such as gentrification and housing crisis (the same thing really, depending on if middle class white people are helped or harmed)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

GreyjoyBastard posted:

quote:

The Court also believes the dangerous, highly stressful, and frenetic events during and immediately following the pursuit and shooting on December 20, 2011, are the antithesis of "cool" anything, much less reflection
:shepface:

USPOL: The antithesis of "cool"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Denver and Seattle sound incredibly familiar. Massive wave of young people moving in, housing crisis that's screwing over low-income people, a giant homeless problem that keeps getting derailed because of NIMBYism, massive scandals in the mayor's office (actually that's just Seattle), the firsts to legalize weed... perhaps we are more similar than different (except when it comes to facing each other in Super Bowls).

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

What? They have a housing crisis, it's that they've got too drat many and neighborhoods are being reclaimed by the forest.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Denver and Seattle sound incredibly familiar. Massive wave of young people moving in, housing crisis that's screwing over low-income people, a giant homeless problem that keeps getting derailed because of NIMBYism, massive scandals in the mayor's office (actually that's just Seattle), the firsts to legalize weed... perhaps we are more similar than different (except when it comes to facing each other in Super Bowls).

i think of denver and seattle as kind of sister cities.

but seattle's a lot bigger and more developed than denver is.

if anything, denver is the little sister

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

What? They have a housing crisis, it's that they've got too drat many and neighborhoods are being reclaimed by the forest.

It was a joke about Detroit.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Des Moines, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Twin Cities, Memphis, Boise, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, San Antonio, Phoenix, Baltimore, Dallas, Omaha, Fargo, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Houston, El Paso, Columbus, and Salt Lake City.

For Texas, El Paso and to a lesser extent San Antonio still have reasonable prices. Houston and Dallas are getting out of hand unless you want a 45 minute commute every morning from the sticks.

Boise, Omaha, and Fargo? Really?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Not a major city: Des Moines is not a major city, neither is Fargo, Columbus, or Boise.

Massive over the top sprawl: Atlanta, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Jacksonville . It's straight up not feasible for most cities and as seen recently with Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix it's not something that's going to be able to last if the city gets actual industry in it. See Atlanta and all of Texas. They're becoming very expensive any place with a reasonable commute. Phoenix is headed that way as well.

Industrial Wasteland attempting to revitalize: Detroit, Pittsburgh, St Louis, and Baltimore. They're all somewhere in the life cycle of smoking crater attempting to rebuild with Pittsburgh pretty much out of it and Detroit firmly at the beginning.

lovely mid-sized cities with questionable prospects: Memphis, El Paso, Cinci, Tampa, and Las Vegas are all in real weird spots. I'm tempted to toss Tampa into the sprawl since they're merging with Orlando. The other three have real unique industries that don't lend themselves to expansion or increased populations.

The ones worth a drat: Salt Lake City, Wilmigton, Philly, Twin cities, Kansas City. Wilmington should probably not be on here as it's basically a suburb of Philly but ehhh. Philly is on the verge of a housing crisis so this isn't going to last. KC is totally livable but previous goons have cast some doubt on how long that will last. Salt Lake City is basically a holy city that's not particularly comfortable to live in if you're not Mormon. The Twin Cities are the real outlier here. I'll see if I can find the article but there was a whole piece written about how they've used specific housing laws and ordinances to make this happen. It's an actual policy result.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not a major city: Des Moines is not a major city, neither is Fargo, Columbus, or Boise.

Des Moines and Boise have more people (both are ~250k) than Wilmington (~80k) and Salt Lake City (~160k) both of which you said are real cities.

Columbus has almost a million people and is one of the 15 largest cities in the United States...

Also, lol at the idea that Atlanta, Dallas, San Antonio, and Phoenix aren't "real cities" because they have sprawl.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seiferguy posted:

There really needs to be investigations coming from outside of the department. I'm so loving tired of "we investigated internally, and we found no wrongdoing by the cop."

What I've been told by ex. NYPD officers is this bluntly: if the cop followed the training given to them by the police department they usually get off. To change that training, sucessful civil lawsuits against the police departments that show the training (or lack of) lead to the death are what is effective.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
In TYOOL 2017, if you hear of an incident between a police officer and an unarmed black person, and your first instinct is to go "Well, technically by the law...", you are not a very good person.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Massive over the top sprawl: Atlanta, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Jacksonville . It's straight up not feasible for most cities and as seen recently with Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix it's not something that's going to be able to last if the city gets actual industry in it. See Atlanta and all of Texas. They're becoming very expensive any place with a reasonable commute. Phoenix is headed that way as well.

industry doesn't matter anymore really. most of these cities are based in service provision. atlanta in particular is a transportation and logistics hub, has a bunch of office space, and is growing rapidly in entertainment production due to generous subsidies by the state of georgia. last year more feature films were produced in georgia than california

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Des Moines and Boise have more people (both are ~250k) than Wilmington (~80k) and Salt Lake City (~160k) both of which you said are real cities.

Columbus has almost a million people and is one of the 15 largest cities in the United States...

Also, lol at the idea that Atlanta, Dallas, San Antonio, and Phoenix aren't "real cities" because they have sprawl.

Oh cool, I wasn't sure about Wilmington and Salt Lake. I can go ahead and toss them into the not a city category.

Columbus has a million people? Where the gently caress do they live? That city is rinky dink as gently caress. Freaking Tucson seems bigger.

Definitely didn't say that. I was pointing out why they haven't yet gotten a housing crisis. They've moved out rather than up but even that has its limits.

Why don't you just use this list so we don't have to argue between city and metro region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Which of those doesn't have a housing crisis?

Detroit and St Louis are smoking craters, the rest are in the midst or on the verge with the notable exception of the Twin Cities.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/BryantCP/status/908762706395697154

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Oh cool, I wasn't sure about Wilmington and Salt Lake. I can go ahead and toss them into the not a city category.

Columbus has a million people? Where the gently caress do they live? That city is rinky dink as gently caress. Freaking Tucson seems bigger.

Definitely didn't say that. I was pointing out why they haven't yet gotten a housing crisis. They've moved out rather than up but even that has its limits.

Why don't you just use this list so we don't have to argue between city and metro region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Which of those doesn't have a housing crisis?

Detroit and St Louis are smoking craters, the rest are in the midst or on the verge with the notable exception of the Twin Cities.

10 of those 20, literally 50%, are listed on the "25 Most Affordable Metro Areas" list.

And a quarter of a million people (more in the metro areas) doesn't count as a city?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

In TYOOL 2017, if you hear of an incident between a police officer and an unarmed black person, and your first instinct is to go "Well, technically by the law...", you are not a very good person.

A few people in here were self-admittedly playing devil's advocate to explain the legal mechanics.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Boise metro areas about 500k. 45min commutes about as long as it gets while still living in a city.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

10 of those 20, literally 50%, are listed on the "25 Most Affordable Metro Areas" list.

And a quarter of a million people (more in the metro areas) doesn't count as a city?

1. that list has Washington Dc on it so it's completely invalid.

2. I said *major* American city. We can quibble about that or not.

It was a mildly hyperbolic comment about the sheer unaffordability of much of the places in this country with actual decent jobs. I apologize for not realizing it'd be a siren song for pedantry. That's an obvious oversight on my part.

BTW, anyone who wants a laugh, look up that 25 most affordable metro areas list. loving Buffalo and Syracuse are in the top 10. :lol:

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 15, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Des Moines Metro Population is 630k

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It was a mildly hyperbolic comment about the sheer unaffordability of much of the places in this country with actual decent jobs.

BTW, anyone who wants a laugh, look up that 25 most affordable metro areas list. loving Buffalo and Syracuse are in the top 10. :lol:

Define your major then. I'd even accept "a professional sports team in big 4."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
unaffordability also means different things here - does it mean that decently paid white collar white people have to have a roommate to afford a two bedroom apartment? or does it mean that lower income often nonwhite families are being effectively banished to the distant suburbs with even worse job prospects and worse transportation options? because society should care far more about the latter than the former

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It was a mildly hyperbolic comment about the sheer unaffordability of much of the places in this country with actual decent jobs.

Omaha, Nebraska metro area is over a million people.

St. Louis is not a blighted hellscape devoid of jobs. It also has several million people.

There are plenty of good jobs and affordable housing in many large and medium American cities.

There are several American cities (San Francisco, Honolulu, Seattle, etc) where average salaries are not even remotely close to proportionate with average housing prices.

You seem to have an inaccurate sense of how many people live outside of the Valley, NYC, and Pacific Northwest.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm just going to stop since this is going to get tedious for everyone. Was purely lamenting how stupid expensive much of the country has become.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kansas City is very cool and very affordable, don't move here.

We don't have a housing crisis but if reinventing downtown areas and gentrification continue prices will probably go way up. But they haven't yet so enjoy it while it lasts!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KickerOfMice posted:

A few people in here were self-admittedly playing devil's advocate to explain the legal mechanics.

Yeah, my FIRST instinct was "that's hosed up, I wonder exactly how" and my second instinct was to go look, whereupon I discovered that a big part of how was the prosecution being dumb lazy or evil and shared it with the class :v:

Edit: and/or evil

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

tentative8e8op posted:

That's not necessarily inconsistent with the defense's argument "his demeanor suggested that he found the gun he was searching for whereupon my client had to shoot him five times also please ignore the definition of involuntary manslaughter".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

There needs to be a systematic change to policing. Any question when there is a refusal by society to answer: "Where do we draw the line?" causes people to opt out of society and it's systems.

So either society has to answer that question, or those that opt out of participating in society will. Current DOJ is lol why would we do that and gently caress the effort the last guy made to.

Our fever isn't going to break is it? Those that opt out of society eventually, traditionally, put the line between the head and shoulders.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Omaha, Nebraska metro area is over a million people.

St. Louis is not a blighted hellscape devoid of jobs. It also has several million people.

There are plenty of good jobs and affordable housing in many large and medium American cities.

There are several American cities (San Francisco, Honolulu, Seattle, etc) where average salaries are not even remotely close to proportionate with average housing prices.

You seem to have an inaccurate sense of how many people live outside of the Valley, NYC, and Pacific Northwest.

Omaha doesn't have a housing crisis because it has a liveability crisis. Same with Syracuse. People aren't saying they're not cities. They're saying that they can't believe anyone wants to move there.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Mustached Demon posted:

Green Bay, Wisconsin's 3rd largest city with a cool 100k people and the packers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The ones worth a drat: Salt Lake City is basically a holy city that's not particularly comfortable to live in if you're not Mormon.

Weirdly enough given that SLC is the single most important location for the Mormon church, the culture in SLC is the least mormon in any place in the state of Utah. All the cities surrounding SLC are far, far, far worse about being rabidly mormon while the city itself, especially downtown, tends to be far less so. There's still a lot of mormons, don't get me wrong, but you're far more likely to encounter people of different religions (Or none at all) in the capital than anywhere else in the state. It's also quite liberal compared to the rest of the state which is HEAVILY conservative. If you were going to live anywhere in the state SLC is the best place to be for a non-mormon.

The worst part of SLC is the fact that the laws in Utah tend to be heavily influenced by mormon politics. For example : There's a group of laws called the Larry H Miller laws, where car dealerships must close on Sundays (Technically they can be open Saturday OR Sunday but not both) because LHM is a big mormon and was losing sales to the national dealerships which were open every day of the week. Then there's the Utah liquor laws which are some of the most restrictive in the US.

At least we have great skiing though.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 15, 2017

• Locked thread