Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Only Shallow posted:

There's a PS2 version too that are sadly harder to find than the USB ones

Seeing "SEGA PlayStation" reminded me of this video LGR made a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOof7nrsOko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The actual SLS USB Saturn pads do work fine on the PS3 without modification, as do most non-xinput controllers.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A couple of apparently previously unknown Saturn prototypes just surfaced. If I'm reading the machine translation correctly, the person who owns them is trying to sell them for €2500 apiece.

I really dig the second CDX-looking one.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

HAT FETISH posted:

That looks mid-90s as balls.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I need this for my extremely trendy 90s apartment full of glass and pastel artwork

e. I don't mean that sarcastically, I loving love that design

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I wonder how they were going to manage to fit the Saturn in a Walkman-sized unit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

azurite posted:

I wonder how they were going to manage to fit the Saturn in a Walkman-sized unit.

Apparently they didn't manage

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

HAT FETISH posted:

A couple of apparently previously unknown Saturn prototypes just surfaced. If I'm reading the machine translation correctly, the person who owns them is trying to sell them for €2500 apiece.

These are both really awesome designs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mmmm yeah.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A good friend of mine is looking to clear up his clutter, and it turns out that he has a bunch (~30) of mint-condition GB/GBC/GBA boxes, all complete with original manuals/materials. He's not interested in selling the games, but wants to get rid of the boxes to finally cut the chains of childhood nostalgia. Is it worth looking for a buyer? Is there a preservation effort that he could donate to? Or is he just best off dumping 'em?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

MEGA BASS for life. Even today I need music library programs to have a bass boost function.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Not a Children posted:

A good friend of mine is looking to clear up his clutter, and it turns out that he has a bunch (~30) of mint-condition GB/GBC/GBA boxes, all complete with original manuals/materials. He's not interested in selling the games, but wants to get rid of the boxes to finally cut the chains of childhood nostalgia. Is it worth looking for a buyer? Is there a preservation effort that he could donate to? Or is he just best off dumping 'em?

Do not dump them. Heck, I'd pay to have them shipped to me if I have some of the games since I prefer boxed. Any idea of the games or at least send me a pic I can zoom in on.

I hate when people separate boxes from games, but tossing them is even worse.

Lots of collectors go after boxes and manuals. There is often some good artwork and time/effort into the designs. He could probably sell them in a Lot on eBay, and at least make a few bucks after shipping and fees, which is better than tossing them.

But if you can get a general idea of the games, let me know and I may be interested. If it is stuff like Zelda vs stuff like Nintendo Pets or whatever.

edit: ya, that is probably the better idea
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 14, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sell them all complete and just buy GB and GBA flashcarts.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

To give a better idea, here's what they look like:

I proposed that he sell them complete but he was having none of it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I could use about a 1/3 of those myself. Would be willing to buy them, and if he wants to just get the full lot out of his house, I guess I could buy them depending on price (if no one else wants the other 2/3).

edit: actually, more like I could use 2/3 of them... how much would he want shipped for everything except the Pokemon card game boxes to 20112 ?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 15, 2017

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
At least you guys convinced him to sell the boxes. I too am a dumbshit CIB nerd, particularly with DS for whatever reason. From what I can tell from squinting at it I don't need anything in that picture but there are some titles in there that would sell quick, probably Castlevania first and foremost. I don't see much on the shovelware front, those cases tend to sit around forever on ebay. Are people still using DS cases and custom covers to house their GBA games? That was a thing for a while.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, but I think there are people that actually produce them now instead of loving with DS cases. Though maybe I am wrong and they just got ahold of what that hell hole called Gamestop were tossing out to free up shelf space... fuckers.

Ya, there are only a handful of games in the picture that I don't own yet and don't plan to own. I either own most of those loose or plan to get the games anyway. Looks like 3 of the DS games I already have CIB.

I don't care about the GB lite and GBC box since I don't have a yellow one of either, but eh... if he is just looking to dump them for shipping plus a little extra for his troubles. Though I would have the urge to go ahead and get some of those games that are on my want list since I would have the box for them.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

He's out backpacking in the wilderness til Sunday, so I won't be able to get in touch with him til the end of the weekend. From what I understood the last time we talked, I think he'd opt to send them as a complete package for a lump sum (I think he was shooting for $100 but I don't have any sense of if that's reasonable), but if anyone wants any of those in particular, he'd be willing to piece 'em out. So I don't hog the thread, anyone who is interested should PM me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not a Children posted:

He's out backpacking in the wilderness til Sunday, so I won't be able to get in touch with him til the end of the weekend. From what I understood the last time we talked, I think he'd opt to send them as a complete package for a lump sum (I think he was shooting for $100 but I don't have any sense of if that's reasonable), but if anyone wants any of those in particular, he'd be willing to piece 'em out. So I don't hog the thread, anyone who is interested should PM me.

I'll shoot you a PM, $100 is a little steep for what I was thinking (like $20 + shipping since he was going to toss them otherwise). We can fig it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Not a Children posted:

Those OG pokemon decks are probably worth a ton now

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hell, I'll give him $100 shipped for those.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Those OG pokemon decks are probably worth a ton now

I assume those are just the boxes and not the decks since he is getting rid of boxes and not the games

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I never had a Dreamcast VMU before, but bought one this week from Amazon. Noticed it would keep resetting the time after I put it to sleep so I bought some new watch batteries for it and the Sega Saturn (which was fixed with this), but even after replacing the batteries in the VMU it still resets the time after a few minutes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Your's probably still has problems if it's gone in a few minutes but also VMU batteries aren't worth replacing if you're not actively playing some sort of pocket game on it because they drain insanely fast.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The batteries only keep the time and let you do the minigames, the actual memory card half is not battery backed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That good to hear. Amazon is just going to give me the money back and let me keep the unit to make up for the battery not working right. At least I can use it for saves and everything just fine, right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah they work fine just as standard memory cards without working batteries, you're just going to hear the trademark beep every time you turn the system on.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I wired a AA battery holder to my VMU so I could play Chao Adventure all day long.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Phantasium posted:

VMU batteries aren't worth replacing if you're not actively playing some sort of pocket game on it because they drain insanely fast.

Agreed, plus you're not getting the true DC experience unless it's making that annoying VMU beep every time you turn it on

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If your VMU is still running out of power super quick like on the order of minutes, you may not have good batteries in the first place, or have bought the wrong sizeso they don't make proper contact.

The batteries are supposed to last like realistically 2 weeks - 2 months depending how often you used it to check time, play the games, etc.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, I got about 1 month with barely using them back when I had a dreamcast

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Phantasium posted:

Yeah they work fine just as standard memory cards without working batteries, you're just going to hear the trademark beep every time you turn the system on.

That's the Dreamcast saying hi :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every zip of the laser a friendly conversation in an ancient tongue.

Remember, it's thinking.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

azurite posted:

I wired a AA battery holder to my VMU so I could play Chao Adventure all day long.

Ten-year-old me is screaming that I never thought of this, beautiful

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay yeah I see what you mean about the VMU working just fine in the controller. Also got my Dreamcast working on my five dollar classic CRT monitor, which it looks CRAZY good on it. Only thing is, I heard some games don't work in VGA mode, is there a solution besides RGB which I just waiting on the HD Retrovision Dreamcast adapter for that.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

Okay yeah I see what you mean about the VMU working just fine in the controller. Also got my Dreamcast working on my five dollar classic CRT monitor, which it looks CRAZY good on it. Only thing is, I heard some games don't work in VGA mode, is there a solution besides RGB which I just waiting on the HD Retrovision Dreamcast adapter for that.

Only like two games don't work in VGA mode; just use S-Video.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Rirse posted:

Get a S-video to VGA adapter for those games that don't, or use it on a TV instead of that monitor

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay cool. I don't mind just getting the HD Retrovision adapter later on since it probably only ten bucks if the Saturn one was a indicator.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rirse posted:

I never had a Dreamcast VMU before, but bought one this week from Amazon. Noticed it would keep resetting the time after I put it to sleep so I bought some new watch batteries for it and the Sega Saturn (which was fixed with this), but even after replacing the batteries in the VMU it still resets the time after a few minutes.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Spoderman posted:

Only like two games don't work in VGA mode; just use S-Video.

Bangai-O is one of them :argh:

• Locked thread