Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PSVR can also hit 120hz. It's a really nice-looking panel even if it does have fewer pixels and a smaller FOV than the PC headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Zero VGS posted:

Edit 3: 706 ppi vs the CV1's 455.63, if you look at the subpixels-per-inch it is more than double.
The only thing PPI is relevant to is how physically large the headset is and tells you nothing whatsoever about the optics. What matters for visual quality is the number of pixels per solid angle that you actually see (and the FOV, of course).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ralith posted:

The only thing PPI is relevant to is how physically large the headset is and tells you nothing whatsoever about the optics. What matters for visual quality is the number of pixels per solid angle that you actually see (and the FOV, of course).

Ah yeah, I'm loving everything up.

Well, how about this then:

CV1: 1080×1200x0.666666(pentile reduction) = 2592k subpixel
Dell: 1440x1440 = 6220k subpixel

CV1 FOV is 80h 90v and the Dell Visor lists as "110-degree".

Not that I'm actually expecting the Dell Visor to be a better experience than my Rift, I'm just nabbing it to gently caress around and maybe flip it, and if it actually is better overall then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm really looking forward to whatever the first headset is that can act as a decent monitor replacement

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I'm really looking forward to whatever the first headset is that can act as a decent monitor replacement

It might actually be this Dell one, I mean it's $350 without the controls, has a flip-away visor, inside out tracking and more than double the clarity of the CV1. That seems like a pretty killer combo for Virtual Desktop.

Also, from the Dell Q and A page:

quote:

Does this support room scale? Can the headset track controllers if they are not in line of sight? Does it support Steam VR?

FrankforDell · 4 hours ago
The Visor allows for you to establish boundaries at setup, within the cable length area. You have 13 feet of cable to accommodate the space you occupy. The headset requires line of sight to track the controllers, and will recall where it lost sight if the controllers move behind your head, for example. Microsoft announced Steam support will be available, although a specific date was not mentioned.

I wonder if the controllers can use like, momentum/acceleration sensors to keep at least a rough positional idea of your hands when you're not looking at them. Super Hot VR is a launch title for the Microsoft MR platform and that definitely has some "shoot/stab where you're not looking" stuff.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

The Pimax 8K project might be able to do that. 4K resolution per eye probably translates to something usable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's a Kickstarter though which means I'm very skeptical

Is the Dell one supposed to be the "high quality" Microsoft headset? Or was that Asus? I want to get whichever one is supposed to be the best

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

It's a Kickstarter though which means I'm very skeptical

It's a Kickstarter, but Pimax already sells 4K headsets and showed off the 8K prototype at CES, so it's unlikely that it's vaporware. The company also has poorly-explained partnerships with a bunch of major corporations (for example, Disney), so my guess is that the 8K headset is a result of the Chinese manufacturer developing headsets for corporate "immersive experience" stuff and then realizing they can also get more money by selling it directly too.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Got my skiing map finally ported over to SteamVR home.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/908717794182811650

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

Dell Visor lists as "110-degree".

Not that I'm actually expecting the Dell Visor to be a better experience than my Rift, I'm just nabbing it to gently caress around and maybe flip it, and if it actually is better overall then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I hadnt realised, thats an improvement over the current gen in every way then.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Ah yeah, I'm loving everything up.

Well, how about this then:

CV1: 1080×1200x0.666666(pentile reduction) = 2592k subpixel
Dell: 1440x1440 = 6220k subpixel

CV1 FOV is 80h 90v and the Dell Visor lists as "110-degree".

Rift CV1 and Vive both have a 110' v fov.
Detaiils have been scant since the MSVR "launch-y thing we are doing" but most of the analysis I've read says the MSVR fov is 95'. I do see Dell listing the 110' fov on their blog. Hrm, some proper reviews need to be done, I'd love to test one. Maybe I can amazon review & return when they are out...
Or Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-visor-virtual-reality-headset-and-controllers-for-compatible-windows-pcs/6084412.p?skuId=6084412

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

rage-saq posted:

Detaiils have been scant since the MSVR "launch-y thing we are doing" but most of the analysis I've read says the MSVR fov is 95'. I do see Dell listing the 110' fov on their blog.

There's no need for the different MS-associated headsets to have the same FOV; some can be 95 while others are 110.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I ordered the Dell one in hopes I can use it for a monitor, tbh if the FOV is a little lower that should be a bit better for clarity so I'm down for that specific purpose

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lemming posted:

I ordered the Dell one in hopes I can use it for a monitor, tbh if the FOV is a little lower that should be a bit better for clarity so I'm down for that specific purpose

GearVR was just about usable as a monitor, and this is the same resolution so you'd hope. The Dell thing is RGB rather than pentile too, though for typical monitor uses like black text on a white background that doesn't really make any difference. The main issue with that use for the GearVR was long-term comfort, which hopefully this Dell headset should do better on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rectus posted:

Very cool work

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://youtu.be/R2-GuDJFCxk

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Given the large furry population in VRChat I'm surprised there hasn't been more trolling yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gently caress off pimax theres a hot new HMD on the scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOUDgZTUXzw

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rectus posted:

this is blowing up on the workshop congratulations

also I've been making a bunch of challenges recently in Soundboxing, please check them out I think they are all quite fun. Would love some constructive feedback, my style is in the vein of 200bpm without trying to have overly complex patterns - I'm just trying to get you moving and grooving and working up a sweat. My righthandedness tends to show through a lot, so a lot of the fancy moves are with the right hand while a lot of the backing/kick beats are done with the left. thats not a constant but its a tendancy, im working on it :)

anyways please play some if you want

https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197983544073

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thanks Gorn.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
VR owns so much.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lowen SoDium posted:

Thanks Gorn.

Laughed very hard.

I'm so thankful my light is high enough I'd have to jump and spike at it to hit it.

Blinds 0

Gorn 1

So it's still destroying things. Or was until I got more play space.

Taintrunner posted:

VR owns so much.

Very much. If more people could just dick with it, more people would buy it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Tell the truth. You broke that lamp rocking out to some sick Ska on that checkered floor

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Tell the truth. You broke that lamp rocking out to some sick Ska on that checkered floor

I think it's called skanking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Bummer that the Dell is using LCDs, at least it's not pentile. Otherwise it t looks pretty great, and I think the controller limitation is something you could live with. If Oculus and HTC don't follow up soon with an updated version, I think they might get demolished once the juggernauts get going.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 17, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
TBH I think Oculus would be happy to be demolished. It's pretty clear to me that Facebook wants to be the software overlord, which means they won't care about hardware after a while.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oculus is about the price of some of these headsets, so I don't know how much demolishing there's gonna be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Onward the shootmans of choice? I had a lot of fun in that. I might have to pick it up. And a third camera, and a stock/grip whatever you would call it for the controllers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Is Onward the shootmans of choice? I had a lot of fun in that. I might have to pick it up. And a third camera, and a stock/grip whatever you would call it for the controllers.

If you're looking for more of a sim, yes.

If you want more pew pew deathmatch fast pasted, pavlov or w/e its called would "better".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does Pavlov support the Rift? It only says Vive.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I like pavlov more on balance I think.

The weapons, and mods for them, the graphics and levels, tutorial, menu, every thing about onward such as that is much better than pavlov, but it falls apart for me in 2 big ways.

1) Theres no option for any mode of play like deathmatch, its all strictly 1 shot you didn't see then you sit in a tent for 10 minutes type of stuff.

2) The controls for oculus touch are really bad compared to pavlov. Pavlov lets you use a proper grip and release, doesn't mix and match in odd ways which trigger you use for grabbing items (for some reason onward has you pick things up with either the index or grip trigger depending on the item), and takes advantage of the buttons to do functions like fire selection and magazine release, which onward forces you to do by moving and clicking the thumbstick which is awkward in the heat of the moment.

If they fixed those 2 things I would buy onward in a heartbeat, and honestly there would be no reason really to own pavlov, but until then, pavlov is just miles more enjoyable to play for me with a casual DM mode, and controls that don't feel like you're fighting the game.

EDIT: ^^^^^ yeah it does, better than onward as well despite not listing it. Though you'll want to turn on snap turning, even if you don't intend to use it because for some reason that enables the face buttons to work instead of having to use the thumbstick and click like onward. I don't know why, and its not listed anywhere but thats what you have to enable.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 17, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Cojawfee posted:

I’ve got about 5 hours in Pavlov and 250+ in Onward. Thanks to the Onward free weekend they hit a peak of 374 players today, which even beats rec room which is free.
So yeah, I think that makes it the shootmans of choice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

I like pavlov more on balance I think.

The weapons, and mods for them, the graphics and levels, tutorial, menu, every thing about onward such as that is much better than pavlov, but it falls apart for me in 2 big ways.

1) Theres no option for any mode of play like deathmatch, its all strictly 1 shot you didn't see then you sit in a tent for 10 minutes type of stuff.

2) The controls for oculus touch are really bad compared to pavlov. Pavlov lets you use a proper grip and release, doesn't mix and match in odd ways which trigger you use for grabbing items (for some reason onward has you pick things up with either the index or grip trigger depending on the item), and takes advantage of the buttons to do functions like fire selection and magazine release, which onward forces you to do by moving and clicking the thumbstick which is awkward in the heat of the moment.

If they fixed those 2 things I would buy onward in a heartbeat, and honestly there would be no reason really to own pavlov, but until then, pavlov is just miles more enjoyable to play for me with a casual DM mode, and controls that don't feel like you're fighting the game.

EDIT: ^^^^^ yeah it does, better than onward as well despite not listing it. Though you'll want to turn on snap turning, even if you don't intend to use it because for some reason that enables the face buttons to work instead of having to use the thumbstick and click like onward. I don't know why, and its not listed anywhere but thats what you have to enable.

Thats interesting to hear your comparing the controls. Ive not played pavlov yet (might just buy it finally). I've never really thought about the button stuff you're talking about but you're totally right. I've just chalked it up to "MIL SIM BETA!" and my brain has mostly just figured out whats what. But you're def right on the weird choices for what button to use.

Still a fantastic game though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It didn't seem too bad to me. You use the grip buttons to grab the weapons and grenades. You use the trigger to grab magazines, the bolt, grenade pins, the radio. Then the B button is for the tablet thing. Nothing really seemed inconsistent.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I found pavlov way more fun and engaging than onward, but that's largely due to performance and sitting in a tent after you die

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Duck Season is pretty great, won't spoil anything but it engrossed me in a way I haven't really experienced in VR before. And it was pretty easy to get a handle on the shooting mechanics, so it was only on the last level where I started missing the occasional duck. Knocking four out of the sky with four shells in about 2 seconds is a pretty nifty feeling, that's for sure.

Then I went and played To the Top for a couple hours, and realized my little grappling hook UE4 game would work amazingly in VR. TtT is fun, don't get me wrong - the sensation of climbing and hanging are nailed, and there are a few spots where I was genuinely concerned about falling. But it's missing the speed I want.

My thing is conceptually similar to Spider Man in the sense that you shoot a beam which latches you to surfaces (in my game floating orbs). Is there currently a VR game like that, which allows you to swing and launch around at high speeds? Want to see what works and what doesn't before I spend the time to port my game over to VR.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Re: Onward rift controls, I’ve seen a few people make this comment (and I have made this same argument on reddit) as while I don’t agree with it, I can understand where they are coming from.

I think part of where this dichotomy stems from is being used to playing games with controllers, mice and keyboards where the functions you perform in game are designed to implement an easy to use ergonomic (to the device you use) system.

VR is a different animal. VR is all about fidelity and presence, trying to make you feel like you aren’t playing a game with controllers. Instead Onward is trying to recreate the actions with your hands as if you actually had these items in your hands and you interacted with them like you do in real life.

Take the syringe for example, you could just pull trigger and use it like a non-VR game, but instead you pull trigger and press in with your thumb like you would squeeze a syringe between your index finger and thumb.

It’s why you grab weapons with the grip button (thank god it’s a toggle and not a hold) like you would grab a knife to draw it.

Sure it’s not perfect, but in my opinion it’s the best VR controls we’ve got so far, and now lots of other games (Pavlov included) have updated their game to have “Onward style” locomotion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Gasmask posted:

and realized my little grappling hook UE4 game would work amazingly in VR.

What is your game? I love a good grappling hook.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does Onward have the option for smooth turning? I get why they have the the snap turning, but I prefer smooth turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

The Gasmask posted:

Duck Season is pretty great, won't spoil anything but it engrossed me in a way I haven't really experienced in VR before. And it was pretty easy to get a handle on the shooting mechanics, so it was only on the last level where I started missing the occasional duck. Knocking four out of the sky with four shells in about 2 seconds is a pretty nifty feeling, that's for sure.

Were you playing with the Rift or Vive? As a Rift user I found the sticky fore grip frustrating, racking the slide a bit of a crap shoot and I had to stop after a bit as my left shoulder was really sore.