Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Beverly Cleavage posted:

never, unless someone does it for you prior to purchase. Parts alone for timing chains is 3k+ last I heard.

Go for the S5 which I tihnk had a timing belt and thus, not this problem.

edit: and there's even more that could be wrong outside of that. Run far far away. New motor is nooooot cheap.

drat, I had no idea on the replacement parts costing that much. It's just some guides, adjusters and chains - what the hell. I'm almost positive the S5 4.2 is the same motor....

Edit: It'd be a silly side project if the parts were cheaper since the B8 S4 is my daily. Even for <$5k with just pulling a motor and replacing the stuff I'd be okay with it price and time-wise.
Edit 2: http://australiancar.reviews/Audi-S5_CAUA_Engine.php - Wikipedia says the 1g S5 has the CAUA engine. I think just the 08ish and earlier A8's had the belts, as well as the RS6 4.2biturbos?

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
There's a lot of moving pieces back there, so do it while it's apart kind of stuff.

S5 is similar motor, but not the same, iirc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I think I mentioned I was having issues with my sewer line. Finally got the quote back from the plumber.
$5400 to replace 35' of cast iron sewer pipe with 3" PVC. Most of that is digging, of course - the main sewer line is 6' down. The city wants to inspect the junction when it's exposed, and charge me $500 if it needs to be replaced. WTF? That's their problem, for which I pay taxes. Jerks.
I really would rather spend $5400 on something other than shitpipe....
#homeownerproblems, I guess.

Did they run a camera down the main and confirm its damaged? If you're just getting tree roots into old pipe there are solutions that don't require digging - in can't recall the name but basically they run a thin PVC line through the existing pipe, shoot hot air through it which softens and expands the plastic and it fills/seals the existing pipe. Supposed to cost a fraction of digging up the existing line and replacing it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

Kumho's have been my go to tire for a while, but it looks like discount doesn't have any in stock locally that would fit. Costco has a special on Michelin tires, but their site won't load to show me what they actually have in stock. At least it's a full size spare, so I don't have to rush to find replacements.

Tirerack has them if you're in no hurry, that's where I got em.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

Kumho's have been my go to tire for a while, but it looks like discount doesn't have any in stock locally that would fit. Costco has a special on Michelin tires, but their site won't load to show me what they actually have in stock. At least it's a full size spare, so I don't have to rush to find replacements.

check discount tire direct. no sales tax and free shipping.

too bad you just missed the labor day weekend sale when they offer tons of rebates

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

Did they run a camera down the main and confirm its damaged? If you're just getting tree roots into old pipe there are solutions that don't require digging - in can't recall the name but basically they run a thin PVC line through the existing pipe, shoot hot air through it which softens and expands the plastic and it fills/seals the existing pipe. Supposed to cost a fraction of digging up the existing line and replacing it.

https://youtu.be/0UXthJMd4gg

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh and gently caress CVT's with a barge pole
I remember driving up a Japanese mountain in a 1.0 Toyota with a CVT, and hilariously, it had a "sport" mode. It did literally nothing except make it louder.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, since this year Sweden is on a rolling 50 yo limit, after which you don't need inspection (after 30 years it's tax exempt and the inspection is only bi-annual). If it is currently not roadworthy when it passes the limit, you have to pass one more inspection.
Mmm, there's been a bit of a debate on PistonHeads about it, and people are reasonably sure that being modified such as to not get MOT exemption won't cost you your VED (tax) exception, as the poor wording of the documentation was concerning me there.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

I remember driving up a Japanese mountain in a 1.0 Toyota with a CVT, and hilariously, it had a "sport" mode. It did literally nothing except make it louder.

same except kei car and no sport mode

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's some cool poo poo (pipe) right there. Darchangel do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

Yeah, I have a couple questions like that to ask, maybe a second opinion.
But,

that's the bit I dug up. The dark space is a crack in the top of the cast iron.
I'll also be asking if it *all* needs to be replaced. They did run a camera down initially, but mainly for tracking the line.

This video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6O8vFVkdys

says average costs are $130-$250 per foot, so not saving anything if it's actually 35', sadly.
Neat tech, though, and would be more cost-effective if there were a slab or something involved. I'll still inquire about it, just in case.

BTW, here's another CIPP video that has a *much* better look at how it actually works, with cutaway pipes and internal views while it's in process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtZnpEedsg0

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's some cool poo poo (pipe) right there. Darchangel do it.

Given the last video I added, I wonder if they could use it on my in-foundation sewer? It's got a similar problem with cracking on the top side. Maybe when I recover from this one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I have a couple questions like that to ask, maybe a second opinion.
But,

that's the bit I dug up. The dark space is a crack in the top of the cast iron.
I'll also be asking if it *all* needs to be replaced. They did run a camera down initially, but mainly for tracking the line.

From my research on the topic (had a clog back in June, which was the third time in as many years - my house was built in 1925 and AFAIK the main is original) as long as the pipe isn't completely collapsed CIPP should work.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen the Laser pope trailer

https://youtu.be/sbLbT5lTr8Q

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tirerack has them if you're in no hurry, that's where I got em.

Sadly after shipping and installation, I can get the Falken's from Discount for less money and less waiting. For some reason Tire Rack's installers want $132 to install them, which seems kinda insane to me. At least my favorite local shop(Group 2) would be able to do the install, but my wheels were beat to poo poo when I got the car so I am fine with discounts installers.

BraveUlysses posted:

check discount tire direct. no sales tax and free shipping.

too bad you just missed the labor day weekend sale when they offer tons of rebates

Sounds about like my luck, poo poo breaks right after all the good deals are done.

Darchangel posted:

*plumbing poo poo*

If it makes you feel better I got a quote for ~$10k to replace ~10 feet of cement pipe and regrade it since its broken down and created a valley. And thats for the sewer line that only deal with the kitchen sink/dishwasher and the washer in the basement.*

*I don't know if its common outside of Seattle, but I have 2 sewer lines. The main sewer on the north side of the house that only handles the toilet and connects to the sewer main. There is another smaller sewer line on the south side of the house to handle the kitchen, that meets with the main sewer line in front of the house before it hits the city main. loving weird, but apparently not uncommon in my neighborhood.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

What in the *gently caress*?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DICK DICER posted:

I'm scared.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DICK DICER posted:

I'd watch this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

quote:

I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the Repo Code, kid. Don't forget it--etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by anymore.

:rip: Harry Dean Stanton

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this game is p nifty

https://twitter.com/nictringali/status/908645321995059200

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's an extremely cool game concept

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

DICK DICER posted:

holy poo poo@!!

Geoj posted:

This is what my parents did years ago when I was a teenager. evidently it worked very well and is still holding up.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've been neglecting basic computer maintenance for a little while and Ccleaner found 28Gb worth of junk to remove

Whoopsy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hi from rally hellhole. gently caress Mt Crawford in paticular

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Few things are better than coffee on a Saturday morning.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wife's handbrake is borked again, looks like I have to fix it tomorrow as I'm away with work next week and we have somewhere to be in an hour. Best hope it doesn't need parts!

I suppose if it does she can just drive mine while I'm away.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hi from rally hellhole. gently caress Mt Crawford in paticular

Aww but you seemed so happy to get there.
I bet rally in Mt Crawford beats staying at home and mowing massive lawns like I did.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Few things are better than coffee on a Saturday morning.

Amen brother, sippin a nice cold brew right now.

Gettin ready to finish hurricane Irma cleanup today, shitload of leaves everywhere, and the rubbermaid shed I took apart has to go back up yay.

Anybody want some free plywood? :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wife's handbrake is borked again, looks like I have to fix it tomorrow as I'm away with work next week and we have somewhere to be in an hour. Best hope it doesn't need parts!

I suppose if it does she can just drive mine while I'm away.
What car?

Jammed on or won't engage?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Multipla, pulls all the way up without engaging. I'll take a quick look tomorrow but as I say, if it needs parts it's parked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anybody want some free plywood? :v:
Stack it next to the house for the inevitable next one?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Multipla, pulls all the way up without engaging. I'll take a quick look tomorrow but as I say, if it needs parts it's parked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

Stack it next to the house for the inevitable next one?

:smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sell it on BAT as a partially built Marcos.

Don't fix it, maybe you'll get lucky and it'll roll away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cars and Coffee is always better with cool goons in attendance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I tried this and she's stopped asking. Still breathing though. What next?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had my new muffler installed and now my car is boring and quiet again :sigh:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I had my new muffler installed and now my car is boring and quiet again :sigh:

Should've asked for a cutout too

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

cool goons

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Guys, guys!
I know I heard about The Room here. you're going to love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKX2tE5Luk

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fo3 posted:

Aww but you seemed so happy to get there.
I bet rally in Mt Crawford beats staying at home and mowing massive lawns like I did.

As sore and as cold as I was last night?

Lawn mowing pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I tried this and she's stopped asking. Still breathing though. What next?

Heh

• Locked thread